What if Protestants are right about the Eucharist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I accept that communion involves the Body and Blood of the Lord, but only as part of the faith of the Church. Not - even though I hear it from some Catholic and Orthodox priests - because Jesus says "This is my body..." - if that kind of literalism is how we do this, then why didn't he mean just THAT bread? He didn't say "all the bread from now on that is consecrated in a certain manner"...

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why is this so important?

Because this means that these Protestants aren't just saying, "I think that Jesus' words at the Last Supper are meant to be merely symbolic," but "I think that the entire Church misunderstood one of the most basic aspects of Christianity for centuries." Call this the "everyone got the gospel wrong" position.

This just isn't about rejecting the Church's teaching authority, but about rejecting all of Christianity prior to a certain point in history.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Because this means that these Protestants aren't just saying, "I think that Jesus' words at the Last Supper are meant to be merely symbolic," but "I think that the entire Church misunderstood one of the most basic aspects of Christianity for centuries." Call this the "everyone got the gospel wrong" position.

This just isn't about rejecting the Church's teaching authority, but about reflecting all of Christianity prior to a certain point in history.
Indeed. I have a lot of trouble understanding the Sola Scriptura position. Not that I disagree - though I do - I just can't even understand it.

I guess someone could say "RCs and EO and Orthodox and some Anglicans and others only appear to be on one side, while the non-real presence people only appear to be on the other, and the problem is a misunderstanding of what 'real' and 'symbolic' mean."

But I've never read a coherent argument along those lines.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There are a great many intelligent Protestant Christians, well-versed in Scripture, faithfully seeking to know and follow the will of God, who have concluded that Jesus' words about the bread and wine of the Last Supper becoming His Body and Blood are merely symbolic.
Michie, it might be worth noting that the article concludes that these Protestants are wrong because the symbolic view wasn't very old, that it was an innovation, etc. That's correct.

However, most Protestants do believe in the doctrine of the Real Presence, meaning that that particular point would not apply to the majority of Protestants.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
The ELCA actually does not require bread to be "confected" again if we were to run out during Communion. We would simply go into the sacristy or tabernacle to get more. Though in practice, I don't think that happens that often.

I think our theology actually matches up with what Schmemann said about the sacrament in For the Life of the World.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Michie, it might be worth noting that the article concludes that these Protestants are wrong because the symbolic view wasn't very old, that it was an innovation, etc. That's correct.

However, most Protestants do believe in the doctrine of the Real Presence, meaning that that particular point would not apply to the majority of Protestants.

Memorialism is common among American evangelicals, though far from unanimous. Only a small percentage of the US population belongs to a Protestant church that actually emphasizes the sacraments as a means of grace. In contrast, even larger numbers belong to churches that do not believe the Lord's Supper is a means of grace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

This just isn't about rejecting the Church's teaching authority, but about rejecting all of Christianity prior to a certain point in history.
Had to fix that word in bold. My phone took over.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are a great many intelligent Protestant Christians, well-versed in Scripture, faithfully seeking to know and follow the will of God, who have concluded that Jesus' words about the bread and wine of the Last Supper becoming His Body and Blood are merely symbolic.

What if they're right?

Continued below.
https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/what-if-protestants-are-right-about-the-eucharist

Regardless of ones professed religious affiliation, one should diligently study Gods Holy word themselves and weigh the biblical evidence ... that is does scripture in the Holy Bible support the teaching, overwhelmingly? Everyone should be putting their beliefs under the microscope using Gods Holy word.

Luke 24

25 And he said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken!

27 And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.

Transubstantiation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transubstantiation

God Bless.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why are you giving me a wiki source on transubstatiation when I just posted a Catholic source about why we believe as we do? Did you even read it? Really? Wiki?
Regardless of ones professed religious affiliation, one should diligently study Gods Holy word themselves and weigh the biblical evidence ... that is does scripture in the Holy Bible support the teaching, overwhelmingly? Everyone should be putting their beliefs under the microscope using Gods Holy word.

Luke 24

25 And he said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken!

27 And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.

Transubstantiation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transubstantiation

God Bless.

• Haha
Reactions: Mary7
Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It's really bizarre. History shows that the Real Presence was always believed in and taught. Christians were even called cannibals.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's really bizarre. History shows that the Real Presence was always believed in and taught. Christians were even called cannibals.
Very true. I do not understand how one can discard the practices of the early Church for centuries and suddenly call it error.

Reactions: Charles in Ky
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

All of Christianity except for what's recorded in scripture, I guess ...

• Agree
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
... as opposed to made up religions, in general ???

as opposed to historical Christianity with a living link to the Apostles and the early communities founded by them, the communities we read about in the Epistles

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.