What if Mueller proves his case and it doesn’t matter?

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,732.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What if....

We don’t know yet if Mueller has the goods — documentary or testimonial proof of explicit collusion — or if he can get them, so we have no idea how this is ultimately going to play out.

But we are disturbingly close to the following scenario:

Say Mueller reveals hard proof that the Trump campaign knowingly colluded with Russia, strategically using leaked emails to hurt Clinton’s campaign. Say the president — backed by the Wall Street Journal editorial page, Fox News, Breitbart, most of the US Cabinet, half the panelists on CNN, most of the radio talk show hosts in the country, and an enormous network of Russian-paid hackers and volunteer ****posters working through social media — rejects the evidence.

America if facing an epistemic crisis

[Epistemology is the branch of philosophy having to do with how we know things and what it means for something to be true or false, accurate or inaccurate.]

The US is experiencing a deep epistemic breach, a split not just in what we value or want, but in who we trust, how we come to know things, and what we believe we know — what we believe exists, is true, has happened and is happening.

The primary source of this breach, to make a long story short, is the US conservative movement’s rejection of the mainstream institutions devoted to gathering and disseminating knowledge (journalism, science, the academy) — the ones society has appointed as referees in matters of factual dispute.

In their place, the right has created its own parallel set of institutions, most notably its own media ecosystem.

America is facing an epistemic crisis

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
he primary source of this breach, to make a long story short, is the US conservative movement’s rejection of the mainstream institutions devoted to gathering and disseminating knowledge (journalism, science, the academy) — the ones society has appointed as referees in matters of factual dispute.

In their place, the right has created its own parallel set of institutions, most notably its own media ecosystem.

Control of institutions was apparently supposed to the exclusive privilege of the Left...

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Pray for the direction of our country - not as a Democrat or as a Republican, or for a particular partisan outcome, but that this current season of hatred and anger pass. We've been through a lot in this country, and we will survive this too, but only if we work together for the betterment of our country and not the Democratic or Republican party.

We have to be stronger and more resilient than the storm.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Pray for the direction of our country - not as a Democrat or as a Republican, or for a particular partisan outcome, but that this current season of hatred and anger pass. We've been through a lot in this country, and we will survive this too, but only if we work together for the betterment of our country and not the Democratic or Republican party.

We have to be stronger and more resilient than the storm.
Ringo

Obviously I’m not one for praying. One can only hope that there still exist enough Americans with the sense of integrity and patriotism that formed and maintained your impressive democracy for the past few centuries...

I think there are...

• Agree
Reactions: Ringo84
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,732.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Obviously I’m not one for praying. One can only hope that there still exist enough Americans with the sense of integrity and patriotism that formed and maintained your impressive democracy for the past few centuries...

I think there are...

I think there are too....but I have lingering doubts...

Upvote 0