What if: Many Are Called (Free Will), Few Are Chosen (Predestined).

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I love the quote by Spurgeon, but if he believed that the unchosen couldn't be saved, that was all hot air. Because then a lost sinner couldn't help but be a lost sinner who is was foreordained for destruction. There is no reason to put your arms around his knees unless you think you think you are stronger than God.
I concur with that perfect reasoning. Spurgeon was a Calvinist, but Calvinists of his day accused him of being soft. Rightly so, evidently, and I count that a very good thing.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What if they are both true and not exclusive? What if some are just supernaturally chosen. Like it or not, Scripture clearly seems to indicate that some are. But, what if everyone else is truly called--the opportunity is truly available for them to come to God through Jesus of their own free will?

Let's be honest: If you think that people are truly chosen and predestined, then whether you and I are obedient to preach the Gospel or not won't affect the chosen from being chosen and coming alive to God. If it does, you have just sacrificed some of that sovereignty that you think God is giving up because He allows free will. It would mean that because a chosen one isn't obedient, other chosen ones wouldn't come to God. That means that a human's actions would have prevented God's chosen ones from coming to Him.

So, why preach the Gospel if the chosen will be chosen regardless and the unchosen can't answer the call? It is only Good News to the chosen ones--who don't need to hear you preach it anyway because it is going to happen regardless OR is it called Good News, because anyone can answer the call who isn't chosen?
I think your problem is in "offering salvation" instead of "preaching salvation". Offering assumes free will and human response as the means of salvation. But preaching simply announces salvation for all who believe what they hear about Jesus. It's more like saying whoever believes has eternal life. Any who don't believe do not have eternal life.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟154,102.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What if they are both true and not exclusive? What if some are just supernaturally chosen. Like it or not, Scripture clearly seems to indicate that some are. But, what if everyone else is truly called--the opportunity is truly available for them to come to God through Jesus of their own free will?

Let's be honest: If you think that people are truly chosen and predestined, then whether you and I are obedient to preach the Gospel or not won't affect the chosen from being chosen and coming alive to God. If it does, you have just sacrificed some of that sovereignty that you think God is giving up because He allows free will. It would mean that because a chosen one isn't obedient, other chosen ones wouldn't come to God. That means that a human's actions would have prevented God's chosen ones from coming to Him.

So, why preach the Gospel if the chosen will be chosen regardless and the unchosen can't answer the call? It is only Good News to the chosen ones--who don't need to hear you preach it anyway because it is going to happen regardless OR is it called Good News, because anyone can answer the call who isn't chosen?

God chooses people prior to their faith, since it says we are chosen "before the foundation of the world." But this does not mean they are chosen whether they believe or not, as that would be a false conclusion. The means by which God chooses is the calling, and the means of the calling is hearing the gospel (Rom. 10). It is a supernatural event, as Jesus describes it in John 3, "born of the Spirit." Therefore, it is not a natural ("free-will") event. When Paul declares "in love He predestined us to adoption as sons" he doesn't say some are predestined but others aren't. It is all-inclusive. Paul's declaration that we were chosen before we existed is a statement about all believers, not some.

Those who insist that they came to God by their own free will simply do not understand the spiritual dimension of their conversion. If a person has the ability to make a righteous choice to come to Christ without God's supernatural action to cause us to make that choice, then the doctrine of Total Depravity is not true. If Total Depravity is true, then conversion requires divine imposition, otherwise we would not obey the gospel. This is what Rom. 3:10-18, Rom. 9:15-16 and 1 Cor. 2:10-16 is about. Paul is making a distinction between natural thought and spiritual thought, which are different dimensions, requiring a different set of "common sense" wisdom rules. Conversion requires a kind of faith that comes from spiritual wisdom, and that wisdom comes only from God. So then, the faith we have in Christ that justifies us is a gift from God (Rom. 3:24). We can only obey the gospel if we are gifted with that faith, since that faith is obedience (that is, the beginning of it - Rom. 1:5).
TD:)

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

It is poor logic that reasons, "because something God has determined is set in stone, therefore I have no responsibility in the matter". The first most obvious reason the logic is bad is because when anything happens, it was caused, and all day we see how (at least in part) most things happen --they are caused by something else. Although we usually would not call these causes supernatural. God uses means to accomplish his ends.

Yes, he will cause me to stumble on a post hole while my arms are otherwise occupied and I fall in a most undignified fashion, for the watching pleasure of those who patiently await my relevant comment for the moment. But somebody dug that hole! Did he have to wait for the hole to be dug by chance to think of causing me to stumble on it, so that my companions would have a humorous account to relate at my expense upon our return? Of course not. He caused the hole to be dug. But somebody dug the hole.

For a believer, perhaps the second most obvious thought, is that regardless of the vagrancies of human reasoning, God's commands remain his commands. He told us to preach the gospel, and so we must.

Another runs close on the heels of the second, contradicting the notion you pose --that it is possible for a person to make an absolutely free choice for or against Christ. And like it, you sound like the one who is chosen by God, has not choice but is (apparently) forced into his saved condition. Neither are true. Those that are not chosen for God's own indeed are not interested in coming to him on God's terms. There is only one truly sovereign, and all others are influenced exactly as God planned. The chosen don't become saved by their own choice, but by the work of God in them. God indwelling a person is their regeneration, hence their changed mind indeed will choose God. This is a most gentle operation, yet never fails to happen. The heart may be even very slowly convinced, and that, by the preaching of the Gospel, among other things.

The spirit of a sinner is in wholehearted agreement and cooperation with their sin. But yes, they are constantly impelled one way or the other by causes. Though they do indeed choose, their choice is always bound by their sinful nature.

You jump a huge logical gap when you equate "called" with free will. I will assume you did so for simplicity just to make your point. But I have to think, when you contrast free will with predestination (something the Bible does not do, unless "free will" means sovereignty), your use of it means sovereignty. Well, sir, there can be only one absolute sovereign. And absolute in that regard logically demands not only that nothing has any rule over him, but also that all things are subject to and in control of that sovereign.

• Winner
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
God chooses people prior to their faith, since it says we are chosen "before the foundation of the world." But this does not mean they are chosen whether they believe or not, as that would be a false conclusion. The means by which God chooses is the calling, and the means of the calling is hearing the gospel (Rom. 10). It is a supernatural event, as Jesus describes it in John 3, "born of the Spirit." Therefore, it is not a natural ("free-will") event. When Paul declares "in love He predestined us to adoption as sons" he doesn't say some are predestined but others aren't. It is all-inclusive. Paul's declaration that we were chosen before we existed is a statement about all believers, not some.

Those who insist that they came to God by their own free will simply do not understand the spiritual dimension of their conversion. If a person has the ability to make a righteous choice to come to Christ without God's supernatural action to cause us to make that choice, then the doctrine of Total Depravity is not true. If Total Depravity is true, then conversion requires divine imposition, otherwise we would not obey the gospel. This is what Rom. 3:10-18, Rom. 9:15-16 and 1 Cor. 2:10-16 is about. Paul is making a distinction between natural thought and spiritual thought, which are different dimensions, requiring a different set of "common sense" wisdom rules. Conversion requires a kind of faith that comes from spiritual wisdom, and that wisdom comes only from God. So then, the faith we have in Christ that justifies us is a gift from God (Rom. 3:24). We can only obey the gospel if we are gifted with that faith, since that faith is obedience (that is, the beginning of it - Rom. 1:5).
TD:)
You said, "The means by which God chooses is the calling,..." I hope that means something to you different from how it sounds. I hope you are not saying that God chooses based on something that happens to us (the calling, or perhaps even our response to the calling) or anything that we do. God makes his choice(s) by means of his own council for his own purposes. We are not privy to exactly what he is building, even though we know a lot of words and thoughts about it.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟894,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We preach the Gospel because that is the command given by Jesus Christ of Nazareth and He said to preach it to all nations. So if that is what Christ said then what Calvin taught was in error. It is up to you to discern the true message of salvation without the lens of man made doctrine. Start by doing a study on "chosen" you will find they are the group who "have chosen" , people that chose God that are then, chosen by God. It is all through the OT.

Joshua 24:22
So Joshua said to the people, “You are witnesses against yourselves that you have chosen the Lord for yourselves, to serve Him.” And they said, “We are witnesses!”

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
We preach the Gospel because that is the command given by Jesus Christ of Nazareth and He said to preach it to all nations. So if that is what Christ said then what Calvin taught was in error. It is up to you to discern the true message of salvation without the lens of man made doctrine. Start by doing a study on "chosen" you will find they are the group who "have chosen" , people that chose God that are then, chosen by God. It is all through the OT.

Joshua 24:22
So Joshua said to the people, “You are witnesses against yourselves that you have chosen the Lord for yourselves, to serve Him.” And they said, “We are witnesses!”

Blessings

Calvin doesn't teach there is no reason to preach the Gospel. That is a poor logic that decides there is no need to preach the Gospel simply because God predestines. He obviously uses means to accomplish his ends.

God created for a very specific purpose. He is not one to make a general plan to fill in the spaces by the seat of his pants. He does not choose from a pool of possibles.

There is no plan B. Must he kiss the rear end of "free will" and bow to absolute chance (as if there was such a thing)? The Creator is not subject to any principle or fact, real or imagined.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟874,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Why did Jesus warn His 11 faithful apostles to abide in John 15 if they cannot fail to abide?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I understand what you believe, David. I certainly agree that some are chosen; but I don't agree that because some are chosen, others don't come through choice.

I love the quote by Spurgeon, but if he believed that the unchosen couldn't be saved, that was all hot air. Because then a lost sinner couldn't help but be a lost sinner who is was foreordained for destruction. There is no reason to put your arms around his knees unless you think you think you are stronger than God. But, if you believe people have a choice to come to Him, then it certainly makes sense to do everything you can to keep them from their seemingly chosen destiny in hopes that God will intervene on their behalf through you.
It is a strange thing that mere creatures can pretend to understand the work of the Almighty Creator. "...the unchosen couldn't be saved."? What kind of logic says that? I am Reformed, if anything besides Christian, solidly a monergist, but not only do I admit I could be wrong, but I scream to any listening that I do NOT understand but an infinitesimal bit of the ways of God.

God can do anything he pleases, but this is the way he has done what he pleases. (To him, our silly musings have no bearing on the facts. "He has done" and "He is doing" may as well be one and the same to him, but that is only our mind working it over. They can not be saved is our mind trying to assess what he has said, and to put it into some semi-cogent understanding of the way he does things.) The unchosen can't be saved because he has arranged things such that only by God's choice is someone saved.

A good study of the "mechanics" of the gospel will show why the unchosen are not going to be saved, because there is a logical sequence there, namely, that Salvation is not only what Christ did, but by the application of his blood to our sin, done by God himself "installing" himself in us, making us his dwelling place. This is not the free will deed of man towards God, but solely the work of God. Regeneration is done by God alone. And the unchosen "cannot" have that.

To me, the idea that the unchosen "can" be saved is as silly as to claim God cannot be omnipotent since, "can he make a rock so big that he can't pick it up?". The term "unchosen saved" is simply a non-thing. I answer the supposed "too big a rock" scenario with, "What? Why would God want to do that?" So it is with the "unchosen saved". That is simply not something God does. "Can"? "Can't?" Don't we have something better to do with our minds?"

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think of God as overbearing at all. And, while I am excited about what God promises for the future, if I was simply following God for what I got out of it in the present, there is no worldly measure that I didn't lose out in. So, for anyone to claim that I am following God simply because of what I get here and now--at least in regards to worldly measures--would be complete ignorance on their part. I've done stuff that could have gotten me killed, because He told me to. That is how much I trust the Sovereign God who woke me up.

I also don't see God as a hitler-type. That isn't because of "western society" as much as it is because I don't see hitler as being love.
Brother I was not pointing to you but giving the general post modern messages we see and hear among us. Just wanted to clarify this.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟874,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is an obvious non-sequitur within this short quote.
God does not choose someone who chooses on their own to remain evil.
When God chooses someone,
is similar to when a potter decides to keep a clay vessel -
it is because it becomes what He makes of it and is fit for the intended purpose.
If someone chooses to resist the devil, the devil flees.
If someone chooses to resist God, God waits - He won't coerce their will or their choice, as that would be un-Godly to do.

If God chooses someone like Saul, who was at the time opposed to Jesus,
God knows what Saul will do later,
as God knows everything....
Paul willingly surrendered , gave up his previous life of sin,
and obeyed Jesus.
God knew Paul would obey, since God knows everything, for all time.
God perfectly knew Saul's heart/ Paul's heart - as ONLY the PURE IN HEART will see God. Saul's heart was not pure;
God gave Paul a new heart and a clean spirit (like King David asked for),
and knew Paul's heart and mind(renewed) willingly and joyously
delighted as a new creation to serve and worship God instead of sinnin.

I think Jonah would disagree my friend. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are God's promises in the Bible that clearly state that if we come to Christ sincerely and honestly, He will not cast us away.

Every person in the world is predestined to be conformed to the image of Christ, but not all take advantage of it. God is not willing that any should perish but that all may come to repentance, but not all will take up the offer of salvation through Christ.

Election is a mystery because we know that every person who honestly and sincerely accepts Christ as Saviour, turns from the world, flesh and the devil, is saved, and then discovered that he or she was actually elected to salvation.

It is not actually up to us to say who is elected and who is not. We don't have enough information to know. God knows the hearts. We can only look on the outward appearance.

We can look on a person who does not appear to have any interest in religion, and determine by appearances that he is not the type to believe the gospel and accept Christ, so many believers would not try to give him the gospel. Then one believer comes along, gives him the benefit of the doubt, shares the gospel, leads the person to Christ, and that person becomes a committed Christ for the rest of his life.

Some potential converts may, in fact, be lost because Christians, by look at outward appearances, will assume that the person is not elected because he or she doesn't look like the type who would come to Christ. Whose fault is that? God's? Not likely! It is the fault of the faithless unbelieving Christian who couldn't be bothered seeking God to find out what the Holy Spirit has to say about the person.
Sage words. Paul shared the election before the foundations of the earth to be a comfort and assurance to fellow believers. Not a means for people to determine one another. We are told our actions do so among us.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Why did Jesus warn His 11 faithful apostles to abide in John 15 if they cannot fail to abide?

Maybe because that is how they will not fail to abide? And he has made it inevitable by indwelling. That is to say, "They do so..." (as my family is known to say concerning obedience), "...because it is so." He does it, so they do it.

He will not allow the indwelling Word to return void. It will indeed accomplish all he has sent it to do.

From what I have seen and experienced, Reformed doctrine and Monergism does not by any means relinquish the redeemed from responsibility. Quite the opposite --it places them into the position of being dependent and answerable to God himself (and gladly so) as mere creatures, that he has in his love and mercy, and by his work alone, given a status beyond even the angels --we mere creatures, who deserve none of it and cannot earn it, made worthy not by our virtue but by the imputed virtue of Christ.

We are by no means on a level with God where he must answer to us. Far be it from us to claim that kind of status or knowledge! Yet that is what we are saying, if we make the claim (extracted by human understanding) that "God needs our free will choices to accomplish his plan.").

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I concur with that perfect reasoning. Spurgeon was a Calvinist, but Calvinists of his day accused him of being soft. Rightly so, evidently, and I count that a very good thing.
Spurgeon fought hyper Calvinism of the fatalist stripe as much as he fought liberal theology.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I think Jonah would disagree my friend. :)
Agreed, though I do not know where you would take it, or why you say that. Jonah would say, I think, that God uses means to accomplish exactly whatever he planned from the beginning.

I agree with your words, because no, the potter does not choose because of what the vessel becomes; he chooses and makes the vessel for the purpose he has in mind. I'm thinking the poster you answered simply misspoke, because (if memory serves) he did say words to the effect that God had a purpose in mind when he made the vessel.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟874,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maybe because that is how they will not fail to abide? And he has made it inevitable by indwelling. That is to say, "They do so..." (as my family is known to say concerning obedience), "...because it is so." He does it, so they do it.

He will not allow the indwelling Word to return void. It will indeed accomplish all he has sent it to do.

From what I have seen and experienced, Reformed doctrine and Monergism does not by any means relinquish the redeemed from responsibility. Quite the opposite --it places them into the position of being dependent and answerable to God himself (and gladly so) as mere creatures, that he has in his love and mercy, and by his work alone, given a status beyond even the angels --we mere creatures, who deserve none of it and cannot earn it, made worthy not by our virtue but by the imputed virtue of Christ.

We are by no means on a level with God where he must answer to us. Far be it from us to claim that kind of status or knowledge! Yet that is what we are saying, if we make the claim (extracted by human understanding) that "God needs our free will choices to accomplish his plan.").

Then why would The Father cut off branches that are in Jesus if they don’t produce fruit? How is it possible that they are “in Him” and can be cut off from Him? If they are not chosen they cannot be in Jesus. If are chosen they cannot be cut off from Jesus and thrown into the fire.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟874,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Agreed, though I do not know where you would take it, or why you say that. Jonah would say, I think, that God uses means to accomplish exactly whatever he planned from the beginning.

I agree with your words, because no, the potter does not choose because of what the vessel becomes; he chooses and makes the vessel for the purpose he has in mind. I'm thinking the poster you answered simply misspoke, because (if memory serves) he did say words to the effect that God had a purpose in mind when he made the vessel.

I’m sorry friend I was referring to what you said that God doesn’t coerce someone.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟894,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Calvin doesn't teach there is no reason to preach the Gospel. That is a poor logic that decides there is no need to preach the Gospel simply because God predestines. He obviously uses means to accomplish his ends.

God created for a very specific purpose. He is not one to make a general plan to fill in the spaces by the seat of his pants. He does not choose from a pool of possibles.

There is no plan B. Must he kiss the rear end of "free will" and bow to absolute chance (as if there was such a thing)? The Creator is not subject to any principle or fact, real or imagined.

No Calvin does not directly but he does indirectly.

It is somewhat disingenuous to evangelize when one knows and believes in predestination, that God wills some to salvation and some to condemnation.

Upvote 0