Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's the myth of Protestantism for ya.. that the middle ages was some horrible period of time full of error and dead religion. In reality, what Luther lived through was a period of Renaissance humanist anxiety over religion- a period of decline and conciliar failures. His spirituality in many ways owes alot to the best of the late medieval Rhineland mystics. He took medieval spirituality and made it comprehensible to ordinary people.

I have a good book on this subject by a Swedish Lutheran scholar, called Theology of the Heart that talks about this often overlooked side of Luther.
I must seriously disagree with your characterization of the Middle Ages. It's easy to talk of vague spirituality and mysticism, but it was the Reformation and Renaissance scholarship and Spirit-led study that unlocked the Word of God for so many.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I must seriously disagree with your characterization of the Middle Ages. It's easy to talk of vague spirituality and mysticism, but it was the Reformation and Renaissance scholarship and Spirit-led study that unlocked the Word of God for so many.

That sounds more like Mormonism honestly (and particularly distressing to think that the Spirit only lead some people to the truth after 1500 centuries). On the other hand, Lutheranism can at least claim some kind of continuity with the historic Church without claiming to have this "Mormon" ecclessiology.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That sounds more like Mormonism honestly (and particularly distressing to think that the Spirit only lead some people to the truth after 1500 centuries). On the other hand, Lutheranism can at least claim some kind of continuity with the historic Church without claiming to have this "Mormon" ecclessiology.
What I said is pretty well standard thinking among Bible believing Protestants and I completely disagree with your Momonism linkage there.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
What I said is pretty well standard thinking among Bible believing Protestants and I completely disagree with your Momonism linkage there.

OK, I'm not Protestant though, and never claimed to be except when using it as a convention. Protestantism as a negative principle really described nothing about your beliefs, it's not a confession of faith.

I would never have believed in justification sola fide if there weren't support for it in Church history. Neither did Luther or Melanchthon. They realized early on they had to show that their ideas were not fanciful interpretations previously unknown. They quoted fathers of the early church and medieval doctors such as Aquinas or Clairvaux.

In this way, Luther's ideas are a product of a development in thought within the catholic tradition, not a revolution or new revelation. This is another reason why Lutheranism is not Protestant. We believe in the historic Church.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK, I'm not Protestant though, and never claimed to be except when using it as a convention. Protestantism as a negative principle really described nothing about your beliefs, it's not a confession of faith.

I would never have believed in justification sola fide if there weren't support for it in Church history. Neither did Luther or Melanchthon. They realized early on they had to show that their ideas were not fanciful interpretations previously unknown. They quoted fathers of the early church and medieval doctors such as Aquinas or Clairvaux.

In this way, Luther's ideas are a product of a development in thought within the catholic tradition, not a revolution or new revelation. This is another reason why Lutheranism is not Protestant. We believe in the historic Church.
Again, I don't agree with your reading of Luther. His conversion to the Gospel of Christ came because of his encounter with the Word of God directly and in his discovery of relying in faith directly on the merits of Christ only, rather than the supposed merits of his own or ecclesiastical ones. It's best to be politely frank and recognize that on this we totally disagree.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Again, I don't agree with your reading of Luther. His conversion to the Gospel of Christ came because of his encounter with the Word of God directly and in his discovery of relying in faith directly on the merits of Christ only, rather than the supposed merits of his own or ecclesiastical ones. It's best to be politely frank and recognize that on this we totally disagree.

Modern peitistic evangelicals such as yourself focus on the tower experience as evidence of "conversion", but Luther would never have pointed to that as the moment that Christ claimed him as his own, he would point to baptism.

In fact Luther discouraged people from focusing excessively on spiritual experiences, and always pointed people to the Word operative in the Sacraments as proof of their election in Christ.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Modern peitistic evangelicals such as yourself focus on the tower experience as evidence of "conversion", but Luther would never have pointed to that as the moment that Christ claimed him as his own, he would point to baptism.

In fact Luther discouraged people from focusing excessively on spiritual experiences, and always pointed people to the Word operative in the Sacraments as proof of their election in Christ.
I think you are using that phrase in a derogatory way, but I don't take offence, because the believer must be prepared for the offence of the cross. Any reading of Luther's conversion, in which he understood the difference between law and gospel and how receiving the righteousness of God by faith became a door to paradise for him, clearly shows Luther did not believe that he was born again through being sprinkled as an infant.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you are using that phrase in a derogatory way, but I don't take offence, because the believer must be prepared for the offence of the cross. Any reading of Luther's conversion, in which he understood the difference between law and gospel and how receiving the righteousness of God by faith became a door to paradise for him, clearly shows Luther did not believe that he was born again through being sprinkled as an infant.

Actually, he did. Where do you think Lutherans get our belief in the efficacy of the sacraments from, if not from Luther himself?

Lutherans believe it is not merely water, but water joined to God's Word that is effective.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually, he did. Where do you think Lutherans get our belief in the efficacy of the sacraments from, if not from Luther himself?

Lutherans believe it is not merely water, but water joined to God's Word that is effective.
If you read what Luther actually said when he was converted to Christ, he clearly didn't think it was some pleasant, optional experience, but actually the time when truly believed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Winken

Heimat
Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's their belief that they are the One True Church and there is no salvation outside of it. I don't believe that, personally. But what bothers me is, what if they're right and I led people from the only faith that saves? I don't believe I did, but since I literally led people from the ancient church that teaches this, my mind naturally wanders.
Don't entertain doubt. You haven't led anyone anywhere. Our Lord is THE leader, the guide, the inspiration. The Holy Spirit spoke to you, resulting in your salvation. Praise God for you and your family!

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
If you read what Luther actually said when he was converted to Christ, he clearly didn't think it was some pleasant, optional experience, but actually the time when truly believed.

I know what he said, but it's important to remember Luther was prone to hyperbole and was not laying down a systematic ordo salutis in his description of his experience.

Luther's joy in the tower was discovering he had already been saved.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't know where else to place this thread. If I place it in the Lutheran forum, by people are going to tell me that I'm correct by default; if I place it in the Catholic forum, people are going to tell me that I'm incorrect by default. I'm also not sure of what advice, exactly, that I'm looking for, but nevertheless...

My wife was raised in a strict Catholic family. Ideally, she was to marry a Catholic and have a Catholic family. But then she met me, an atheist at the time. After awhile, she gave up her faith because she followed my lead and (poor) logic on how religion is stupid, fake, and irrational. But then several years ago, at random, out of the blue, with no warning or rational explanation, Jesus came to me in the most vivid dream I have ever had, and he told me, "Michael, forgiveness is yours; just believe and ask." I immediately woke up in sweat and tears and gave my life to him right then and there. I soon became a Lutheran, and my wife followed my lead, abandoning her Catholic upbringing and fully embracing Lutheranism. Throughout these years I have become exceptionally educated on Scripture and Theology, and my faith is radical, for better or worse, as is her faith. I plan to go to Concordia Seminary soon.

A couple of years ago, my mother-in-law began attending our church. It was a slow process for her, but she abandoned Catholicism and was confirmed as a Lutheran of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod a few weeks ago. She is now working on her own mother and showing her own life long Catholic mother the errors and additions of the Catholic Church.

Lutheranism feels so 'right'. I don't believe that Jesus would personally come to me, a militant atheist not far from being Saul himself in regards to my hatred of Christians and Christ, and save me, in the process saving my family, and then let us go astray and worship him in a false way, in a false faith. We must be right where he wants us. To me this is logical - at least that is my belief.

My wife and I now have 4 children, who are all Lutherans as well. Here's what keeps me up at night sometimes: What if - just what if - Catholicism is correct (I don't believe that it is), that it is the One True Church, and I, being the head of my family, have lead these people who were once part of Christ's Church (assuming now that the Catholic Church is his One True Church) astray? What if I intruded into their lives, and I lead a complete family away from Christ? It's very, very unlikely that they would have ceased to be Catholics without having met me. It would have been better for me to have never been born, or to have had a millstone fastened around my neck and been cast into the sea, if that's the case.

Final Note: No anti-Catholicism. That does nothing for us here. We are not anti-Catholic. We respect their faith and traditions. We simply believe, like Luther, that they are completely and utterly wrong about some things, and we can't accept that. I don't need piles of Scripture proving the Church is some beast, that it's wrong, or pagan references. Thank you.

The Bible is correct... The Word of God is correct... Follow His words...

I am an ex catholic myself and i am assured from reading the Bible that catholicism is very wrong... That does not mean i believe non-catholic churches are right about everything.. You have to run all the doctrines a churches preaches past the Word of God and compare them.. You have to do this for every sermon and ever church you may investigate..

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know where else to place this thread. If I place it in the Lutheran forum, by people are going to tell me that I'm correct by default; if I place it in the Catholic forum, people are going to tell me that I'm incorrect by default..

A Lutheran on this forum once told me that Lutherans are Catholics. As I thought about it, I realized he was right. Luther did not want to create a new denomination. He was a Catholic who only sought to reform the organization. But being a Christian has nothing to do with being either a Lutheran or Catholic. It only has to do with those whose lives are transformed by the new birth and receive the Holy Spirit into their hearts, for the body of Christ is an organic entity, not an organization. Thus Christians can be found in many different denominations. And along with those born again Christians in all those same denominations you will find people who are not Christians at all and merely deceived in thinking that they are Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know what he said, but it's important to remember Luther was prone to hyperbole and was not laying down a systematic ordo salutis in his description of his experience.

Luther's joy in the tower was discovering he had already been saved.
"I learned to distinguish between the righteousness of the law and the righteousness of the gospel. I lacked nothing before this except that I made no distinction between the law and the gospel. I regarded both as the same thing and held that there was no difference between Christ and Moses except the times in which they lived and their degrees of perfection. But when I discovered the proper distinction—namely, that the law is one thing and the gospel is another—I made myself free." Martin Luther

(No comment.)

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't know where else to place this thread. If I place it in the Lutheran forum, by people are going to tell me that I'm correct by default; if I place it in the Catholic forum, people are going to tell me that I'm incorrect by default. I'm also not sure of what advice, exactly, that I'm looking for, but nevertheless...

My wife was raised in a strict Catholic family. Ideally, she was to marry a Catholic and have a Catholic family. But then she met me, an atheist at the time. After awhile, she gave up her faith because she followed my lead and (poor) logic on how religion is stupid, fake, and irrational. But then several years ago, at random, out of the blue, with no warning or rational explanation, Jesus came to me in the most vivid dream I have ever had, and he told me, "Michael, forgiveness is yours; just believe and ask." I immediately woke up in sweat and tears and gave my life to him right then and there. I soon became a Lutheran, and my wife followed my lead, abandoning her Catholic upbringing and fully embracing Lutheranism. Throughout these years I have become exceptionally educated on Scripture and Theology, and my faith is radical, for better or worse, as is her faith. I plan to go to Concordia Seminary soon.

A couple of years ago, my mother-in-law began attending our church. It was a slow process for her, but she abandoned Catholicism and was confirmed as a Lutheran of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod a few weeks ago. She is now working on her own mother and showing her own life long Catholic mother the errors and additions of the Catholic Church.

Lutheranism feels so 'right'. I don't believe that Jesus would personally come to me, a militant atheist not far from being Saul himself in regards to my hatred of Christians and Christ, and save me, in the process saving my family, and then let us go astray and worship him in a false way, in a false faith. We must be right where he wants us. To me this is logical - at least that is my belief.

My wife and I now have 4 children, who are all Lutherans as well. Here's what keeps me up at night sometimes: What if - just what if - Catholicism is correct (I don't believe that it is), that it is the One True Church, and I, being the head of my family, have lead these people who were once part of Christ's Church (assuming now that the Catholic Church is his One True Church) astray? What if I intruded into their lives, and I lead a complete family away from Christ? It's very, very unlikely that they would have ceased to be Catholics without having met me. It would have been better for me to have never been born, or to have had a millstone fastened around my neck and been cast into the sea, if that's the case.

Final Note: No anti-Catholicism. That does nothing for us here. We are not anti-Catholic. We respect their faith and traditions. We simply believe, like Luther, that they are completely and utterly wrong about some things, and we can't accept that. I don't need piles of Scripture proving the Church is some beast, that it's wrong, or pagan references. Thank you.
Hmm if catholicm is completely correct than many born again christians, like myself and others on here who arent catholic, will need to start buying statues of mary and giving a whole lot of money to the vatican. And will have to shut down our places of fellowship and all join the catholic church and those of us who are single will have to be nuns and monks. And instead of praying to our Father through Jesus we might all have to learn latin and recite rosaries and start wearing crucifixes. And instead of being forgiven we wil, have to stop having assurance of salvation and keep going to a priest and reading the catholic catechism instead of the Bible. We might even have to give up our Bibles since they dont have the extra books in them.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just sounds like a whole lot of extra religious stuff you have to do to be holy IMHO.

But thats a 'what if' its not going to happen! Jesus obtained righteousness for us on the cross, and gave us the gift of salvation through faith in Him its not something we have to earn by being religious.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟143,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Hmm if catholicm is completely correct than many born again christians, like myself and others on here who arent catholic, will need to start buying statues of mary and giving a whole lot of money to the vatican.

False. They don't teach that you have to have statues or give money. In fact, many Protestant churches guilt trip their members into 10% tithe.

And will have to shut down our places of fellowship and all join the catholic church and those of us who are single will have to be nuns and monks.

False. You don't have to be a monk or a nun if you're single. In fact, it is a distinct calling, and one in which they urge caution and discernment before making the decision.

And instead of praying to our Father through Jesus we might all have to learn latin and recite rosaries and start wearing crucifixes.

False. You can pray to the Father in Jesus' name. Praying to God or asking Saints for intercession isn't an either or. The Rosary is encouraged, not commanded or a must. You don't have to learn Latin. Most Catholics do not know Latin. You don't have to wear a Crucifix. People choose to wear them as a symbol of faith. I wear them.

And instead of being forgiven we wil, have to stop having assurance of salvation and keep going to a priest and reading the catholic catechism instead of the Bible.

True. You do have to keep going to Confession and be weary of mortal sin. This is terrible. The Bible is not below the Catechism. The Bible is encouraged for the laity to read and study. It wasn't so in the past, but is now.

We might even have to give up our Bibles since they dont have the extra books in them.

They do have approved and disapproved translations. Most Christians, not just Catholics, have and read the deutercanonical books. Luther's Bible had them, ans Lutherans today still hold that, while they're not divinely inspired scripture, they are valuable to read.

Bold is mine. This is one of the reasons I asked for no anti-Catholicism. It is usually sarcasm or absurdly misinformed regurgitated information. This was both.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No anti-Catholicism. That does nothing for us here. We are not anti-Catholic. We respect their faith and traditions. We simply believe, like Luther, that they are completely and utterly wrong about some things, and we can't accept that.

Really? I'm not going to worry about it now, but it does sound pretty anti-Catholic to me.

That being said, why not read what the Fathers of the Church say about their own Church before condemning it. Read the Ante-Nicene (that means before the Nicene) Fathers.

I'm first to admit that a lot of mistakes were made from 800 to 1900 or so in the Catholic Church. But what Luther was mostly complaining about was the selling of indulgences, a practice that I find detestable.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0