• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What if I accidentally said the Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?

K

kaykay9.0

Plus can you send me some Scriptures?
Well, the classic one that immediately occurs to me is 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." New American Standard Version

I also think this website has some good things to say. You might want to check it out~

www.net-burst.net/guilty/scrupulosity.htm

I can tell you, however, that if you are battling OCD, there is usually NEVER enough reassurance to KEEP you reassured...because the problem is the OCD. It's NOT a spiritual problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dtc_40

Jun 23, 2010
✟15,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you can ask this question, and be concerned about the posssibility that you commmitted this sin, then you haven't done it. There NO way anyone could accidentally or unintentionally blaspheme the H.S.

i too have this problem, it's because all of the things that athiest's say they poison your mind, they want you to think like them, i prayed last night saying that i didnt mean what i said about the holy spirit, i still have problems im seeking christ to help me, because i dont want to ruin my relationship with the lord. but if we can control what are minds are saying then you can eliminate what you are doing on the bus to/from school i sat by three atheist kids and my brother is friends with an atheist kid and he comes over sometimes, and those three kids on the bus always talked bad to the lord and i beleive in god and i accept Jesus as my savior and i started a conversation with myself just like you did with the thoughts, mumbling, and all of those things but after i said no i have to stop this because this is ruining my relationship with the lord so i prayed saying that i didnt not mean any of those things that i said and in fact i love jesus and i accept him as my savior. so just pray to him and tell him that you do not mean those things that are playing in your mind.

Upvote 0

lifeknowingjesus

Christ's
Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
✟7,766.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Let me quote Billy Graham on this:

"Many Christians have heard that there is an unpardonable sin and live in dread that something grave they have done before or after conversion might be that sin.

"Their fears are unfounded. While there is an unforgivable sin, it is not one that a true believer in Jesus Christ can commit.

"The one sin which God cannot forgive is mentioned in Mark 3:28-30 and Matthew 12:31-32. Jesus had been performing miracles, including driving demons out of people by the power of the Holy Spirit. Instead of recognizing the source of Jesus' power and accepting Him as God's Son, the religious leaders accused Him of being possessed by the devil and driving demons out in the power of the devil.

"Jesus responded by saying, "I tell you the truth, all the sins and blasphemies of men will be forgiven them. But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin."

"The sin of the religious leaders, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, was a refusal to accept the witness of the Holy Spirit to who Jesus was and what He had come to do, and then submit their lives to Him. Jesus said concerning the Holy Spirit, "When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment" (John 16:8). They chose rather to reject the Spirit's witness to their sin and to Jesus, and accused Him of being demon possessed!

"The point for us is that if we have received Jesus as our Savior and Lord, we have not blasphemed the Holy Spirit; we have accepted His witness. One study Bible explains it as follows: "To commit this sin one must consciously, persistently, deliberately, and maliciously reject the testimony of the Spirit to the deity and saving power of the Lord Jesus." If a person keeps doing that until death, there is no hope of forgiveness and eternal life in heaven.

"Once again, the unpardonable sin is not some particularly grievous sin committed by a Christian before or after accepting Christ, nor is it thinking or saying something terrible about the Holy Spirit. Rather, it is deliberately resisting the Holy Spirit's witness and invitation to turn to Jesus until death ends all opportunity.

"In order to experience God's peace, we must come to Him, trusting His promises. Isaiah 1:18 says, "Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord. Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow." In 1 John 1:9 we read: "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

"Jesus Himself assures us, "Whoever comes to me I will never drive away" (John 6:37). Our God is a compassionate and merciful God. He desires that no one should be lost, but that all should come to salvation through repentance and personal faith in Jesus as Savior and Lord (2 Peter 3:9; Acts 2:21)."

I also invite you to read this post: http://www.christianforums.com/t7476448/

Love,
Amy

• Love
Reactions: Beslowtoanger
Upvote 0

shelovesChrist

Jan 21, 2010
✟15,630.00
Faith
Baptist
Youre salvation isnt based on whats in youre head. Its based on what Jesus did for you on the cross.

amen . that is so true . praying for all . as others on here, i too used to be think i blasphemed because of the thoughts but you have to look at the Pharisees and see how they truly believed that . we dont , for if we did we wouldnt have had so much anxiety and fear over the thought. praying for all

Upvote 0

david77123

Jul 3, 2010
✟15,146.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
I think that the verse talking about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is talking about something different. It's talking about blasphemy of a large scale - denying God in your life by dying without acknowledging him. No words can keep you away from God if you ask him for forgiveness and recognizing him as Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I randomly get evil thoughts in my head, its uncontrolable ( i spelt that wrong)
These are called intrusive thoughts and are common with OCD and scrupulosity. How long have these been bothering you? Have you had other kinds of intrusive thoughts or obsessions?

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2024
MAPLE GROVE
✟201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
One cannot believe in Christ and blaspheme the Holy Spirit. These two things are mutually exclusive if we look at scripture. If a believer could blaspheme the Holy Spirit it would create a logical contradiction between verses.

John 5:24 reads, "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life."

This is a quote from Jesus himself!

I've heard two theories on what exactly blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is.

1. It is unbelief to the end of one's life on Earth.
2. It is attributing the work of the Holy Spirit to the Devil or demons.
3. A hardening of one's heart until they cannot repent and come to Christ.

If we hold John 5:24 and the verses concerning blasphemy of the Holy Spirit to both be true (which they are), we would have to conclude that whatever the sin is it cannot be done by a believer since that would contradict John 5:24 and a few other verses regarding the security of the believer's salvation.
So, lets test the three possibilities in their respective order.

1. If you don't believe you aren't saved. If you do you are. This could be the unforgivable sin but, A believer couldn't do this one.

2. One could say a blasphemy like this and it would be a sin. However, if that person comes to belief then they would be saved by the evidence of John 5:24. To say otherwise, would be to call Jesus a liar. This cannot logically be the unforgivable sin. In the verse from Matthew where Jesus speaks on the unforgivable sin, it is sometimes assumed he is telling the Pharisees that they have committed it. This isn't confirmed- Jesus must have been giving a warning that they were dangerously close to committing it. So, number 2 is a sin - One forgivable by God's grace through faith! There are other times that people entertain the thought that Jesus is demon possessed in the Bible and there are no passages of Jesus telling them about the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

3. If you have faith in Christ then you have repented and received the Holy Spirit. So, like number 1 - No one who has faith can commit this one. Faith itself is the proof that this hasn't been committed because if it had, then the person could not come to faith.

Conclusion - Numbers 1 or 3 must be what the unforgivable blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is refrencing. Neither of these two could be committed by a believing Christian!

Peace be with you always!
Sam

Upvote 0