What (if anything) is the Trump Party doing to win back Nevers?

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not going to tell them something I don't believe. I will then have to attempt to explain why God put Hitler, Stalin and every other vicious dictator into power. I've been there, done that. I'm not going to do that. I'm not going to lie to them. And in all honesty, I don't believe it was God's doing putting Trump into the presidency anymore than I believe that God sanctioned America to steal massive tribal lands through either forcibly removing Native Americans from their lands unto barren wastelands and starving them to death or mercilessly slaughtering Native Americans for their tribal land just so white Christians could have all that land for themselves or the United States government violating over 500 legal treaties it signed with the tribal nations or the United States of America having legalized slavery for 89 years of its existence or denying minorities the same civil rights and equality as white people for 188 years of its entire existence or legally segregating minorities because there were white people in power who believed minorities, particularly Black people and Native Americans, were inferior to white people and should be separated from white people. In other words, I don't believe in what you believe and I'm not going to pretend I do.

Romans 13 explains that God puts all of those into those positions.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 13 explains that God puts all of those into those positions.
M-Bob

That would be great if I believed that the bible was infallible and without error, but I don't.

And for the record, I was editing my post while you were quoting it.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Guess you think it's funny when you twist what I say in the opposite direction?

This is not the first time.

M-Bob

Guess you fail to recognize when your words are equally applicable in the opposite direction, Bob. This is not the first time.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I seriously doubt that the right wing evangelical Christians who voted for Trump will ever be able to restore their reputation as Christians or repair the Christian witness. The non-Christians I've spoken to are done with them and they want no part of the evangelical Christian faith. I can't say everything that I've heard non-Christians say about these Christians concerning their continual support and defense of Trump because of the flaming rule, but they do think these Christians are nothing more than outright hypocrites. I tried to tell these non-Christians I've spoken to that there are right wing evangelicals Christians, like you for example, who don't support Trump and never will. But I think the damage has already been done and I think it may be irreversible damage. I know my non-Christian friends have absolutely no respect for these Christians or for their faith since they support Trump.

Lots of these folks spend the majority, if not all of their time with one another. A bunch of folks preaching to a lot of choirs. So they're not realizing the negative impact on witness to non-Christians on account of just being a big echo chamber for one another. Shoot I know of areas where there hardly are any known non-Christians. Now that doesn't mean there aren't atheists there, but in some parts coming out as an atheist is akin to coming out of the closet. I think the real damage is to the folks outside of the red states looking in. Internationally certainly. I like Reddit, it's sort of a news aggregate on account of sources from around the world being used to make threads. So I've read things from Australia, all over Europe, Asia. You read through the comment sections there & you really see how damaging it's been to witness.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Simply explain to those non-believers that God put President in there and probably for a good purpose. If that does not make sense to them they are probably not being called anyway.
M-Bob

Bob, is that what you told folks about President Obama?

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟26,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is the Trump Party doing to win back those of us (former Republicans) who are disgusted by Trump's historically high level of dishonesty and immorality?

By definition of the word, a 'never' anything cannot be won over. So, nothing.

Upvote 0

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From the outside, I guess I was a kind of similar to some "Never Trump" conservatives. I mean, I'm a conservative who didn't didn't vote for him.

Some things he has done warmed me up to him a bit though. First, his efforts to combat human trafficking are laudable. Second, his supreme court choices. Trafficking and abortion are the greatest crimes in humanity, and despite his flaws, Trump is doing his best at least on this.. with the joke of a legal system he has to work with.

I'm not either a Republican or Democrat though. If anything, I'm a....Monarchist..? And if it was up to me, I'd rather see abortion ended in an instant by fiat. And see many more changes done just as hastily. Usury, pollution and health and concerns, how we treat animals, etc.. I have no interest in debating any of these. Just correcting them. So I don't think I really fit in with most political and modern legal debates. The modern world is hung up on process. Sadly, even fellow Christians have been duped into this nonsense. It's sad to me that Muslims tend to agree with me about this more often.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm not either a Republican or Democrat though. If anything, I'm a....Monarchist..? And if it was up to me, I'd rather see abortion ended in an instant by fiat. And see many more changes done just as hastily. Usury, pollution and health and concerns, how we treat animals, etc.. I have no interest in debating any of these. Just correcting them. So I don't think I really fit in with most political and modern legal debates. The modern world is hung up on process. Sadly, even fellow Christians have been duped into this nonsense. It's sad to me that Muslims tend to agree with me about this more often.

The problem with that kind of system is that it would be just as easy to implement ANTI christian laws as well when the wrong type of ruler is put on the throne.

Upvote 0

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The problem with that kind of system is that it would be just as easy to implement ANTI christian laws as well when the wrong type of ruler is put on the throne.

I've never heard of anything in the medieval world on the scale of evil that we see now. And their systematic condemnation of the some of above actions lasted for a long time (abortion, usury, for example).

But if this was what people want, I just have to bear with it. There are days I'm disgusted of even living here anymore. I wish it all ended. But if God is patient and wants people to come to repentance, who am I to wish for destruction? I find myself just sinking further into a corner and praying. But I'll be honest: It stinks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Danoh

Oct 11, 2011
✟40,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not going to tell them something I don't believe. I will then have to attempt to explain why God put Hitler, Stalin and every other vicious dictator into power. I've been there, done that. I'm not going to do that. I'm not going to lie to them and I would be lying because I don't believe as you do.

And in all honesty, I don't believe it was God's doing putting Trump into the presidency anymore than I believe that God sanctioned America to steal massive tribal lands through either forcibly removing Native Americans from their lands unto barren wastelands and starving them to death or mercilessly slaughtering Native Americans for their tribal land just so white Christians could have all that land for themselves or the United States government violating over 500 legal treaties it signed with the tribal nations or the United States of America having legalized slavery for 89 years of its existence or denying minorities the same civil rights and equality as white people for 188 years of its entire existence or legally segregating minorities because there were white people in power who believed minorities, particularly Black people and Native Americans, were inferior to white people and should be separated from white people. In other words, I don't believe in what you believe any more than I believe in Manifest Destiny. And I'm not going to pretend I do and misuse God's name like that. I think God's name has been abused and misused enough to justify the existence of this country.

Couldn't agree with you more, Shiloh.

Excellent post.

Good to see some actual objectivity on these threads, from time to time.

Rom. 5:6-8.

• Friendly
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

ItIsFinished!

Jesus Christ is our only hope.
Sep 1, 2018
Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I seriously doubt that the right wing evangelical Christians who voted for Trump will ever be able to restore their reputation as Christians or repair the Christian witness. The non-Christians I've spoken to are done with them and they want no part of the evangelical Christian faith. I can't say everything that I've heard non-Christians say about these Christians concerning their continual support and defense of Trump because of the flaming rule, but they do think these Christians are nothing more than outright hypocrites. I tried to tell these non-Christians I've spoken to that there are right wing evangelicals Christians, like you for example, who don't support Trump and never will. But I think the damage has already been done and I think it may be irreversible damage. I know my non-Christian friends have absolutely no respect for these Christians or for their faith since they support Trump.
I'm sure your non-christian friends will get over it.
In fact the one they probably voted for is way much worse.
There is your real hypocrisy.
Just a thought.

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure your non-christian friends will get over it.
In fact the one they probably voted for is way much worse.
There is your real hypocrisy.
Just a thought.

No, actually a lot of them voted Third Party like I did. And it's highly unlikely that my non-Christians will get over it considering how much they think Christians who voted for Trump are nothing more than hypocrites themselves. So much for the Great Commission and spreading the Gospel.

Upvote 0

ItIsFinished!

Jesus Christ is our only hope.
Sep 1, 2018
Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, actually a lot of them voted Third Party like I did. And it's highly unlikely that my non-Christians will get over it considering how much they think Christians who voted for Trump are nothing more than hypocrites themselves. So much for the Great Commission and spreading the Gospel.
I have a hard time believing that many voted Third Party.
Really doesn't matter. So are you implying that people will refuse to accept Christ as Saviour because Christians voted for Trump?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've never heard of anything in the medieval world on the scale of evil that we see now. And their systematic condemnation of the some of above actions lasted for a long time (abortion, usury, for example).

It seems that the things we've heard about done by ISIS was done back then. It's only recently that such things have been brought back, at least in isolated places. Thankfully, the type of system we have in place doesn't allow for such things on a national scale here in America.

But if this was what people want, I just have to bear with it. There are days I'm disgusted of even living here anymore. I wish it all ended. But if God is patient and wants people to come to repentance, who am I to wish for destruction? I find myself just sinking further into a corner and praying. But I'll be honest: It stinks.

Yeah, I agree. Having a simple monarchy would be nice if the king were a good one. But that's never a guarantee, at least not yet.

Reactions: straykat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟276,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
What is the Trump Party doing to win back those of us (former Republicans) who are disgusted by Trump's historically high level of dishonesty and immorality?

...by reminding you what the alternative is.

Upvote 0