What if a gay family comes to the Church?

H

HalupkiMonster

I don't understand exactly what you mean, kakie izmenenija budut sdelany dlja Boga?

I mean homosexuality is incompatible with Orthodoxy: or becoming Orthodox, or being gay - together is impossible.

Luche po angliisky. No tvoi Russkii neploh.

Okay, suit yourself. (Maybe I want to practice my Russian? ;) )

I think that you mean living a sexually active gay livestyle is incompatable with Orthodoxy. People with same sex attraction are still "gay," even if they choose to remain celibate (as much as a heterosexual person who is celibate is still straight.)

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
People who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender should just come to church if they are interested. Don't worry about changing before you come to Christ and his church. If you desire to be part of the Body of Christ, which means repentance for all who come to Christ (except little ones), the Holy Spirit will help you through the grace given in the Holy Mysteries (sacraments). We can't truly change under our own power or sheer force of will. We need grace, encounter with God.

Just come and see.

M.

Reactions: Lyrasong
Upvote 0
H

HalupkiMonster

:amen: 'Tis not for us to judge.

As an Episcopalian, I pray that fellow Christians would and will not use others as punching bags for jokes...it smacks of superiority over another.

We accept all, love all, and support all who are on the path of seeking a deeper, more meaningful relationship with Jesus Christ. That's a relationship that no one should try to rip asunder. We are all pathetic, empty vessels of sin, washed clean in the blood of our Savior. Our "job" is to fill our vessels with the teachings, grace, mercy, and love of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

A family most certainly IS a family...whether it be by blood or by bond...and Hallelujah if that family becomes united in the loving grace of God! I applaud the scenario that this young man has brought up. Words to make us think, to discuss, to ponder! :clap: Isn't that what forums are for?:confused:

This is my very first post on any Christian forum. I typed Episcopal into the search engine, only to find it
as the butt of a joke, though I don't believe it was meant in a malicious manner in that initial post. I sincerely believe God has a great sense of humor! I will do my best to be of a pure heart and harbor no malice when I post, I pray I will be treated as you would want to be treated. No Troll Zone for this Episcopalian...but yeah, feel free to send anyone our way. ^_^

Just my 2 bits.

Una
Unabridged, Unassuming, Unafraid.:pink:
I spent time in the Episcopal Church during my hiatus from my home Church. While I love the accepting atmosphere, it seemed that I couldn't find a distinction between accepting our brothers and sisters, and accepting their sins.

Welcome to CF, by the way!!!! :) I hope you love your time here! You know, you may enjoy our Episcopalian/Anglican section here. Though you're always welcome here, in our neck of the woods! :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I spent time in the Episcopal Church during my hiatus from my home Church. While I love the accepting atmosphere, it seemed that I couldn't find a distinction between accepting our brothers and sisters, and accepting their sins.

this a million times over

Upvote 0

The Virginian

Sep 15, 2004
✟16,393.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
If the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church is the same as that of the Apostles, holding to the same Tradition; then the terminology of a 'gay family', is as much an oxymoron as 'gay conservative'. Why? There has never been an acceptance in the church of anything deviant from what the Apostles received from Jesus, and subsequently handed down to the Church in it's Traditions. The notion that the church must change with the times to remain relevant, to reach the modern man, is wholly preposterous. The Church would then, cease being the Church of Jesus Christ!

The Apostle Paul wrote to Timothy that "...the Lord's bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged, with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps, God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth, and they come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will...."

That is the ideal of how all should minister to anyone who oppose the Church which is the "...pillar and support of the truth,. And, IT IS how more than just a few of the priests of God, actually fulfill their charge!
As always it's up to the individual when confronted with the truth of Jesus Christ, to either accept it in repentance, or turn and walk away with a hardened heart.

the sinful and unworthy servant,

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well if the two are truly convicted of the truths of Orthodoxy that would include the sinfulness of homosexuality, so they're trying to stop committing these sins as well. I don't think the priest could allow them to remain living together - it would be too great a temptation and too great a scandal within the parish. The men may continue to raise the children between the two of them, but in two separate homes and with no greater relationship or affection between the two of them than that of a close friendship. Some priests may suggest or require them to put the children back up for adoption.

The realities of sin are dealt with, and sometimes the outcome isn't 'pretty', but sinful decisions which are convenient and supported by the world which meet the reality of the truth isn't always as convenient or clean as the world allows them to be.
I agree with Joseph; altho, I don't think a priest would ask them to put the children back up for adoption, but I don't know. About partaking of the Eucharist....I think it depends on if they are struggling with their sins or living comfortably in them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Great, so a homosexual couple would be treated just as any other relationship in your church, sounds like a real Christian church. Good to hear.

As long as they are struggling to work on their sins, they are a member like the rest of the congregation. I'm not sure on the total answer on whether they can receive the Eucharist. I've listened to a podcast that said they can if they are in the process of struggling - meaning making the attempt to not have a sexual relationship with their partner.

We all come to the Church for healing. It's a Hospital for the souls, because we are all sick.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I converted to Christianity when I was 14. I'm now going on 19. Coming to terms with my sexual orientation and what I thought the Church's teachings were regarding it was difficult, and caused me to defect from Holy Orthodoxy for a long while.

It took me a long time to realize that Christ wasn't this feel good hippie people make him out to be. He was about peace and love, but through His perfect will. The Church calls everyone to reject sin, not just certain people. To truly be a Christian is to be a sinner who repents and repents. No one has any hope of being perfect without Christ (which is what I took so long to realize.)
:thumbsup: You are ahead of most people your age. :)

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
People who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender should just come to church if they are interested. Don't worry about changing before you come to Christ and his church. If you desire to be part of the Body of Christ, which means repentance for all who come to Christ (except little ones), the Holy Spirit will help you through the grace given in the Holy Mysteries (sacraments). We can't truly change under our own power or sheer force of will. We need grace, encounter with God.

Just come and see.

M.
Yes. We all struggle with our sins and passions, and some take decades or nearly our whole lives to overcome.

I remember listening to Fr. Evan with regards to dealing with one of our sins at a time, and some you can repent and be done with in a few days, but some others, it take hard work with God working in you. He said it's like learning an instrument. You have to work on it daily, and he said on average, it takes a person 10 years to overcome a sin that is hard for them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes. We all struggle with our sins and passions, and some take decades or nearly our whole lives to overcome.

I remember listening to Fr. Evan with regards to dealing with one of our sins at a time, and some you can repent and be done with in a few days, but some others, it take hard work with God working in you. He said it's like learning an instrument. You have to work on it daily, and he said on average, it takes a person 10 years to overcome a sin that is hard for them.
Choosing to love people before they are changed is the same as what happened with the Good Samaritan in Luke 10:25-39....for the basis of helping the man out wasn't on whether or not he was a good person. He was beaten up and needed help..

And likewise with those bound in the sin of same-sex attraction, it is indeed a battle. If you saw a same-sex couple who were homeless on the road and needing a ride to their next destination, would you leave them there because they had no intention of repenting anytime soon ...and it'd feel awkward that you'd be helping them out to continue on their path? Or would you give them aid regardless and pray that the Lord would help them out?

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);62779368 said:
Choosing to love people before they are changed is the same as what happened with the Good Samaritan in Luke 10:25-39....for the basis of helping the man out wasn't on whether or not he was a good person. He was beaten up and needed help..

And likewise with those bound in the sin of same-sex attraction, it is indeed a battle. If you saw a same-sex couple who were homeless on the road and needing a ride to their next destination, would you leave them there because they had no intention of repenting anytime soon ...and it'd feel awkward that you'd be helping them out to continue on their path? Or would you give them aid regardless and pray that the Lord would help them out?
I'd see a couple of homeless people with the Image of Christ in them (at least I hope I would), and would help them. I have many gay/lesbian friends, and I love them like they are my sisters and brothers. They have a large cross to bear, and I know that's very, very difficult.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hear that from almost everyone "I have many gay friends." I have to say, I must be the only guy in the Western Hemisphere who can say "I don't have ANY gay friends!" LOL....

The only gay acquaintance I had was so horrible, the guy got me fired from one of my first teaching gigs when I wouldn't approve of his lifestyle. Boy was that a heckuva story!

I'd see a couple of homeless people with the Image of Christ in them (at least I hope I would), and would help them. I have many gay/lesbian friends, and I love them like they are my sisters and brothers. They have a large cross to bear, and I know that's very, very difficult.

Upvote 0
H

HalupkiMonster

I hear that from almost everyone "I have many gay friends." I have to say, I must be the only guy in the Western Hemisphere who can say "I don't have ANY gay friends!" LOL....

The only gay acquaintance I had was so horrible, the guy got me fired from one of my first teaching gigs when I wouldn't approve of his lifestyle. Boy was that a heckuva story!

I daresay you probably have a few you don't know about (we're everywhere! ;) )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Well, they are online friends I've know since 2007 to 2008. One guy and three girls. :). Sweetest folks.

ETA: I am wrong. I have 4 women friends with same-sex attraction and one man friend with same-sex attraction. One of the four women has repented when she came back to Christ and doesn't live that lifestyle anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mariya116

Dec 3, 2011
✟16,306.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
:p It's the Slovak term for the staple food in Eastern Europe, land of my forefathers, actually, and I'll forgive you for your insinuation. ;)

/kidding
Did you say Polish? Polaków bardzo lubię! Polscy kawalery są bardzo atrakcyjnymi, mmm.

Upvote 0
H

HalupkiMonster

Did you say Polish? Polaków bardzo lubię! Polscy kawalery są bardzo atrakcyjnymi, mmm.

Zgadzam sie, bardzo atrakcyjne! Jedzenie jest rowniez dobre! :)

(I originally said "Polish," because my grandparents were Polish, until I remembered that my username is the Slovak variation of the word, because that's what my Slovak grandpa called them!)

In polish they're called something like gulompki, but they've always been halubki to my family. (It's like arguing with a Ukrainian whether they're "pierogi" or "veryneki.") Eastern Europe, amirite or amirite? :cool:

Upvote 0