Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By our joyful witness, devout prayers and enthusiastic singing, we proclaim Jesus Christ to be really, truly and substantially present among us.

On Oct. 11, the Church celebrated the 60th anniversary of the opening of the Second Vatican Council.

The Second Vatican Council was summoned, Pope St. John XXIII said during his opening remarks, in order to guard and teach more effectively the sacred deposit of the Christian faith in response to the “great problem” perennially confronting the world: to recognize Jesus Christ as the “center of history and of life” and choose to believe in him, follow him and be with him.

The fathers of Vatican II actualized that mission in the Council’s teaching on the Holy Eucharist. They repeatedly declared that Jesus in the Eucharist is the source and summit, root and center of the life of Christians and of the Church. Because the Eucharist is Jesus Christ, the choice to believe in and follow him is made concrete in a Eucharistic life.

For that reason, to mark the Council’s 60th anniversary, I was privileged to celebrate a Mass in midtown Manhattan with the participants in the Napa Institute’s Principled Entrepreneurship Conference and hundreds of New York faithful and then to take Jesus out into the streets for an extraordinary Eucharistic procession through the afternoon rush hour to St. Patrick’s Cathedral.

Continued below.
What I Saw When I Carried the Eucharist Through the Streets of Manhattan