Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a large sign on the door at our local grocery store saying “masks required—see manager if you cannot comply.” They would have asked this man what he needed, pulled his order for him and brought it out to his car. This girl had probably been told to stop anyone who wasn’t wearing a mask and was just doing her job.
Reasonable behavior is boring.

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Went shopping with my wife today. At one grocery store we were in, there was an older fellow wearing an Army veteran's hat, and he had obviously been badly burned at some point in his past. He was not wearing any sort of mask.

As he approached the produce section, he was set upon by a young woman---late 20s, early 30s range. who loudly and angrily berated him for not having a mask on. There were several "shame on you's", accusations of selfishness and not caring about children, etc., etc., on and on. She was loud, and she was aggressive, and yes, she was actually pretty rude.

The veteran simply stood there and let her abuse him. When she finally stopped, he quietly asked, "Are you finished?" When she just stood there glaring at him, he said, "First of all, I have already had Covid-19, back in June, and recovered from it. Second of all, my lungs were burned from breathing napalm fumes in Vietnam in 1968. I lost 40% of my lung capacity, and I can't wear a mask, because if I do, I will pass out. I have a letter from my VA doctors in my pocket if you'd like to see it."

The woman stood there with her face hanging out, and her expression dropped about three feet. She started in with, "Oh, my gosh, I am so sorry...." but he held up a palm facing her and said, "Save it. You blew your chance for that ten minutes ago." Then he turned and walked away.

She looked like she'd been struck in the face, and he just looked grim. Myself and several others standing nearby applauded. He acknowledged this by nodding. He passed me (also wearing a veteran hat), and I said, "Welcome home, brother." He smiled and said, "You too. Thanks for your service."

It was one of the most amazingly gut-wrenching things I've ever seen. I've thought about it all afternoon, and I thought I would share. For those who shame anyone not wearing a mask: ask politely before you just lay into someone. Perhaps there's a very good reason why they're not wearing a mask.

While I appreciate his sacrifice, when in a business, state, or municipality that requires it, he has to wear a mask. His service to our country and limitations due to injuries incurred during that service doesn’t matter to COVID.

I enforce occupancy and mask rules for the public at work. I hear all sorts of reasons and see all types of paperwork, but ultimately our governor says we have to mask up and our business supports that initiative. If people have limitations that prevent wearing a mask, I understand that, but the same rules that exist for all disabled people also apply to those who can’t wear masks... The requested accommodation must be reasonable, and cannot compromise the safety of the business, its assets, its employees, or people serviced by the business, and it must not infringe upon the rights of the business, its employees, or others. Not wearing a mask indoors violates all three of these guidelines.

I think what we need to be having is a nationwide discussion on how there is an ingrained ableist belief that being disabled means you get to conduct yourself however you want. That one can say “I’m disabled” and that’s synonymous with saying you’re untouchable and can do what you want. You get to the front of the line at Disney, you have people fawn on you, and you have a whole set of rules that make things easier for you than everybody else. Being disabled is not a declaration of entitlement, it is a way to denote you need special support to utilize a service others without a disability access.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever checked on your allergies, what many people believe to be allergies, can actually be a staph infection in the nose (staphylococcus). Especially if you notice blood when blowing the nose. These staph infection can make you sneeze a lot just like an allergy.
No, I don’t have those symptoms. But thanks for the suggestion:)

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was one of the most amazingly gut-wrenching things I've ever seen. I've thought about it all afternoon, and I thought I would share. For those who shame anyone not wearing a mask: ask politely before you just lay into someone. Perhaps there's a very good reason why they're not wearing a mask.

Thank you for sharing this. There are SO many that follow what the media tries to lay into our heads, many are in fear because of it and act the way exactly how this woman did. The love of many is growing ever more cold as the years go by.
May God keep us who are in the faith humble and loving to even those who hate us. :yellowheart:

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Went shopping with my wife today. At one grocery store we were in, there was an older fellow wearing an Army veteran's hat, and he had obviously been badly burned at some point in his past. He was not wearing any sort of mask.

As he approached the produce section, he was set upon by a young woman---late 20s, early 30s range. who loudly and angrily berated him for not having a mask on. There were several "shame on you's", accusations of selfishness and not caring about children, etc., etc., on and on. She was loud, and she was aggressive, and yes, she was actually pretty rude.

The veteran simply stood there and let her abuse him. When she finally stopped, he quietly asked, "Are you finished?" When she just stood there glaring at him, he said, "First of all, I have already had Covid-19, back in June, and recovered from it. Second of all, my lungs were burned from breathing napalm fumes in Vietnam in 1968. I lost 40% of my lung capacity, and I can't wear a mask, because if I do, I will pass out. I have a letter from my VA doctors in my pocket if you'd like to see it."

The woman stood there with her face hanging out, and her expression dropped about three feet. She started in with, "Oh, my gosh, I am so sorry...." but he held up a palm facing her and said, "Save it. You blew your chance for that ten minutes ago." Then he turned and walked away.

She looked like she'd been struck in the face, and he just looked grim. Myself and several others standing nearby applauded. He acknowledged this by nodding. He passed me (also wearing a veteran hat), and I said, "Welcome home, brother." He smiled and said, "You too. Thanks for your service."

Here's an interesting article on coronaphobia:

How the danger of coronavirus compares to every day life - from accidents to crime

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a large sign on the door at our local grocery store saying “masks required—see manager if you cannot comply.” They would have asked this man what he needed, pulled his order for him and brought it out to his car. This girl had probably been told to stop anyone who wasn’t wearing a mask and was just doing her job.

I don't think she worked there. She was wearing no identification marking her as a store employee---she was just another shopper.

While I appreciate his sacrifice, when in a business, state, or municipality that requires it, he has to wear a mask. His service to our country and limitations due to injuries incurred during that service doesn’t matter to COVID.

I enforce occupancy and mask rules for the public at work. I hear all sorts of reasons and see all types of paperwork, but ultimately our governor says we have to mask up and our business supports that initiative. If people have limitations that prevent wearing a mask, I understand that, but the same rules that exist for all disabled people also apply to those who can’t wear masks... The requested accommodation must be reasonable, and cannot compromise the safety of the business, its assets, its employees, or people serviced by the business, and it must not infringe upon the rights of the business, its employees, or others. Not wearing a mask indoors violates all three of these guidelines.

I think what we need to be having is a nationwide discussion on how there is an ingrained ableist belief that being disabled means you get to conduct yourself however you want. That one can say “I’m disabled” and that’s synonymous with saying you’re untouchable and can do what you want. You get to the front of the line at Disney, you have people fawn on you, and you have a whole set of rules that make things easier for you than everybody else. Being disabled is not a declaration of entitlement, it is a way to denote you need special support to utilize a service others without a disability access.

I have a disability....several, in fact, and I can tell you from experience that very few of us try to "game the system". I have never tried to use my limitations as an excuse. I have, on occasion, tried to use them as an explanation---but I have regretfully discovered that a goodly portion of the world doesn't give a good rat's behind about my problems. If accommodating my disability means it causes problems for them, they couldn't care less if I lay in a ditch and die.

It's usually not a major problem for me, because when confronted with such behavior I usually blow a gasket, leave the establishment, and never set foot inside again. Menard's lost me as a customer for that very reason last spring; I'd been a lifelong customer of Menard's, used to shop there all the time. But due to virusophobia, they had installed Geheime Staatspolizei agents inside their entrances, who were extremely unpleasant. An encounter with one of these charming individuals caused me to leave the establishment, and I will never spend one thin red cent at a Menard's again. Never. They are a private establishment, and they have the right to set their own rules, and I do not dispute that. I, however, have the right to shop where I feel appreciated and valued as a customer, and Menard's told me that I was not valued by way of their stormtroopers. I will never shop there again for the rest of my life.

There was another case, about a decade or so ago, at a local theme park. A young lady who was working there was going to meet her fiancé there when she got off work, and they were going to go out to dinner. The fiancé was a United States Marine, who had been paralyzed from the chest down in Iraq; God bless the young lady for still being true to him despite his injuries. Anyway, the future in-laws were dropping the young man off at the park to wait for her. It was late July, temperatures in the 90s, and the only shade was inside the park. He had about 45 minutes to wait until she got off her shift.

The park refused to allow him to enter the park unless he bought the $30.00 ticket as an entrance fee. His father-in-law tried to reason with them, saying, "He isn't going to be using any of the rides in the park---he can't; all he wants is to just sit in the shade until my daughter gets off shift. I can't leave him sitting out here in this parking lot in the blazing sun for nearly an hour!"

Didn't matter. The park couldn't have cared less. It was either cough up $30.00 for rides he would never ride on, or he could sit in the sun and bake, for all they cared. There was a big blowup about it in the newspapers at the time. Now, once again: they had the right to act like selfish, miserable, money-grubbing, parasitic inhuman sos-and-sos with absolutely no shred of respect or compassion; it was, after all, their park, and their rules. But the story enraged me, and I swore I would never visit that park, nor support them in any way. If they wanted to treat a disabled veteran in such a manner, then they didn't need anything from me. I have never set foot inside that park, nor will I.

I guess maybe it's just a gut reaction on my part, being a member of The Noble and Illustrious Brotherhood of Them What Has Actually Been Shot At, and I don't expect civilians to understand it, or to agree with it. But it's my perspective on this type of thing, and there it is.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a disability....several, in fact, and I can tell you from experience that very few of us try to "game the system". I have never tried to use my limitations as an excuse. I have, on occasion, tried to use them as an explanation---but I have regretfully discovered that a goodly portion of the world doesn't give a good rat's behind about my problems. If accommodating my disability means it causes problems for them, they couldn't care less if I lay in a ditch and die.

It's usually not a major problem for me, because when confronted with such behavior I usually blow a gasket, leave the establishment, and never set foot inside again. Menard's lost me as a customer for that very reason last spring; I'd been a lifelong customer of Menard's, used to shop there all the time. But due to virusophobia, they had installed Geheime Staatspolizei agents inside their entrances, who were extremely unpleasant. An encounter with one of these charming individuals caused me to leave the establishment, and I will never spend one thin red cent at a Menard's again. Never. They are a private establishment, and they have the right to set their own rules, and I do not dispute that. I, however, have the right to shop where I feel appreciated and valued as a customer, and Menard's told me that I was not valued by way of their stormtroopers. I will never shop there again for the rest of my life.

There was another case, about a decade or so ago, at a local theme park. A young lady who was working there was going to meet her fiancé there when she got off work, and they were going to go out to dinner. The fiancé was a United States Marine, who had been paralyzed from the chest down in Iraq; God bless the young lady for still being true to him despite his injuries. Anyway, the future in-laws were dropping the young man off at the park to wait for her. It was late July, temperatures in the 90s, and the only shade was inside the park. He had about 45 minutes to wait until she got off her shift.

The park refused to allow him to enter the park unless he bought the $30.00 ticket as an entrance fee. His father-in-law tried to reason with them, saying, "He isn't going to be using any of the rides in the park---he can't; all he wants is to just sit in the shade until my daughter gets off shift. I can't leave him sitting out here in this parking lot in the blazing sun for nearly an hour!"

Didn't matter. The park couldn't have cared less. It was either cough up $30.00 for rides he would never ride on, or he could sit in the sun and bake, for all they cared. There was a big blowup about it in the newspapers at the time. Now, once again: they had the right to act like selfish, miserable, money-grubbing, parasitic inhuman sos-and-sos with absolutely no shred of respect or compassion; it was, after all, their park, and their rules. But the story enraged me, and I swore I would never visit that park, nor support them in any way. If they wanted to treat a disabled veteran in such a manner, then they didn't need anything from me. I have never set foot inside that park, nor will I.

I guess maybe it's just a gut reaction on my part, being a member of The Noble and Illustrious Brotherhood of Them What Has Actually Been Shot At, and I don't expect civilians to understand it, or to agree with it. But it's my perspective on this type of thing, and there it is.

I am disabled too, and legally recognized as so, thanks to Crohn’s Disease and MS. Because I’m on a cocktail of immune-suppressing medications and chemotherapy that suppresses my immune systems, I am high risk in the COVID category. I am well aware of the struggle finding an equal foothold in a world not built with people who have movement or bowel difficulties. I am well aware of my rights, but I’m also well aware of where my rights end so as not to impede the rights of others.

Not wearing a mask to suit a disability impacts the rights of others. We are living during a pandemic that has taken a disproportionately hard toll on our people and infrastructures... Masking up is a requirement that protects the safety and well-being of those in your vicinity. Not masking up has shown to provide risk to those around us and a disproportionate risk to workers in the public field as repeated, prolonged, close contact contact with unmasked people for the duration of their work shift over the course of their work week creates an accumulating risk which is rightfully seen as unacceptable. I get a little frustrated when I remember all the “thanks essential workers for all the work you do!” chants and signs going around back when supplies were short and people needed something from them, but the moment something proven by science and is very basic and easy is required to keep them safe was required, people became nasty, confrontational, oppositional, and refused to do their very simple part.

If you cannot wear a mask, utilize the accommodations made by the business. That may be curbside pickup, delivery, a personal shopper, phone orders, website apps, etc etc. You may want an accommodation that allows you to shop without a mask, but they aren’t required to offer it. You may not like the accommodation, you may want in-store shopping, but they’re not required to give it if the risk is unacceptable. Accommodation is something you demand and receive without question, nor has it ever been.

I feel bad for the vet, but his request to enter the park for free to sit down and wait for somebody? That’s not a reasonable accommodation. It just isn’t. Non disabled people were likely also hot and uncomfortable, they also wouldn’t be allowed in to just sit without paying. They’d be expected to plan for the inevitability of hot weather and then execute their plan. Since he was there voluntarily to wait for somebody, he would have to do what the rest of the world does... Arrive more closely to the correct time, wait in their car, bring or ask for water, dress appropriately, or some combination of all the above. People entering the park must pay, regardless of how many rides they do or don’t want to ride, where they want to sit, or who they are meeting when they get there, that’s the policy that is applied across the board to all. If the park had let other people in for free to sit down, then yes, he would have a right to question if his different treatment was because of his disability... But the fact is every soul in the park either works there or paid to be there. He shouldn’t expect to be an exception.

As a disabled person, I can’t tell a business “hi, I’m disabled and MS makes it hard for me to walk, so I parked by your front door because the walk from the disabled spot was too far for me.” I can’t say “hey, I’m disabled and can’t sit through a movie because it causes me intestinal pain and triggers my Crohns. Can you just let me pay you for a copy of the movie to watch at home?” I certainly can’t say “I’m going out wearing no clothes today because feeling something on my skin while I’m having an MS flare is mistakenly processed neurologically by my body as excruciating, debilitating pain and y’all just have to accept it because I’m disabled.” I can’t charge into employee bathrooms, I can’t ask that our gorge put in an escalator because I can’t do steps, I can’t force people to let me go first in one hole restrooms, I can’t cop a squat in the middle of a store if their bathroom isn’t close by because that’s what works for me right then, and I can’t skip wearing my mask for the same reason I can’t do any of the above... It isn’t reasonable, it isn’t safe, and it infringes on the rights of others and compromises safety and health.

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think she worked there. She was wearing no identification marking her as a store employee---she was just another shopper.

Sorry. That wasn't clear from the OP.

Would the store have done his shopping for him? As I said in my earlier post, at the store where I shop this veteran would just have had to ask the manager. They don't not charge (beyond the cost of the groceries) for those with disabilities.

Upvote 0

th1bill

A Believer/Follower
Jul 5, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟68,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

There is a very good pair of reasons I do not wear a mask; I had this very minor flu bug, known as Covid 19, I believe, in early December, before they announced it, and with the test by an anesthesiologist, proving that no mere mask that we can fashion as civilians will prevent the movement of this bug.

Then I have, since the day the article was read by me, perhaps in Playboy, where the Russian Military took charge of a California Marine Base, and foreign Dignatataries and Reps of America attended the meeting to determine how to unite the world and this Minor Biological Agent, created by the Chinese has killed fewer people than the Swine Flu, also a Carona Virus, I'm informed.

I, also, notice the differences in Main Stream Reporting on this Flu Bug. Raw Numbers are often too frightening to be used and Percentages were broadcast instead. Percentages will not work for this virus that has, according to CDC numbers, killed less than One Percent of the American People, the number, a little over 200K, rounds off to Zero Percent of the population and Zero Percent of the known cases. it is a minor danger, blown up to test the idea chosen to unite the world under one commander or it is a Dismal Failure of putting the Natural Disaster Uniting of the World. In either case, it does not matter and all of this comes from a Viet Nam Veteran of three tours with a collapsed immune system, I am a Prime Candidate for Death from all of this.

Can we cease to be of Hysterical Mind-Sets?

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am disabled too, and legally recognized as so, thanks to Crohn’s Disease and MS. Because I’m on a cocktail of immune-suppressing medications and chemotherapy that suppresses my immune systems, I am high risk in the COVID category. I am well aware of the struggle finding an equal foothold in a world not built with people who have movement or bowel difficulties. I am well aware of my rights, but I’m also well aware of where my rights end so as not to impede the rights of others.

Not wearing a mask to suit a disability impacts the rights of others. We are living during a pandemic that has taken a disproportionately hard toll on our people and infrastructures... Masking up is a requirement that protects the safety and well-being of those in your vicinity. Not masking up has shown to provide risk to those around us and a disproportionate risk to workers in the public field as repeated, prolonged, close contact contact with unmasked people for the duration of their work shift over the course of their work week creates an accumulating risk which is rightfully seen as unacceptable. I get a little frustrated when I remember all the “thanks essential workers for all the work you do!” chants and signs going around back when supplies were short and people needed something from them, but the moment something proven by science and is very basic and easy is required to keep them safe was required, people became nasty, confrontational, oppositional, and refused to do their very simple part.

If you cannot wear a mask, utilize the accommodations made by the business. That may be curbside pickup, delivery, a personal shopper, phone orders, website apps, etc etc. You may want an accommodation that allows you to shop without a mask, but they aren’t required to offer it. You may not like the accommodation, you may want in-store shopping, but they’re not required to give it if the risk is unacceptable. Accommodation is something you demand and receive without question, nor has it ever been.

I feel bad for the vet, but his request to enter the park for free to sit down and wait for somebody? That’s not a reasonable accommodation. It just isn’t. Non disabled people were likely also hot and uncomfortable, they also wouldn’t be allowed in to just sit without paying. They’d be expected to plan for the inevitability of hot weather and then execute their plan. Since he was there voluntarily to wait for somebody, he would have to do what the rest of the world does... Arrive more closely to the correct time, wait in their car, bring or ask for water, dress appropriately, or some combination of all the above. People entering the park must pay, regardless of how many rides they do or don’t want to ride, where they want to sit, or who they are meeting when they get there, that’s the policy that is applied across the board to all. If the park had let other people in for free to sit down, then yes, he would have a right to question if his different treatment was because of his disability... But the fact is every soul in the park either works there or paid to be there. He shouldn’t expect to be an exception.

As a disabled person, I can’t tell a business “hi, I’m disabled and MS makes it hard for me to walk, so I parked by your front door because the walk from the disabled spot was too far for me.” I can’t say “hey, I’m disabled and can’t sit through a movie because it causes me intestinal pain and triggers my Crohns. Can you just let me pay you for a copy of the movie to watch at home?” I certainly can’t say “I’m going out wearing no clothes today because feeling something on my skin while I’m having an MS flare is mistakenly processed neurologically by my body as excruciating, debilitating pain and y’all just have to accept it because I’m disabled.” I can’t charge into employee bathrooms, I can’t ask that our gorge put in an escalator because I can’t do steps, I can’t force people to let me go first in one hole restrooms, I can’t cop a squat in the middle of a store if their bathroom isn’t close by because that’s what works for me right then, and I can’t skip wearing my mask for the same reason I can’t do any of the above... It isn’t reasonable, it isn’t safe, and it infringes on the rights of others and compromises safety and health.

So, as I said: the veterans should just lay down in a ditch and die, so they won't inconvenience the "normal" people. How dare they come out into public and make everybody aware of the accommodations they require? Look, buster, I know you lost both legs in Afghanistan, but that's no excuse---we don't allow bikes, skateboards, scooters, or roller skates in here; you're just gonna have to walk!

Sorry. That wasn't clear from the OP.

No problem.

Would the store have done his shopping for him?

I have not the foggiest idea. All I'm doing is reporting on what I saw; I didn't analyze it. :) All I could do at this point is conjecture.

There is a very good pair of reasons I do not wear a mask; I had this very minor flu bug, known as Covid 19, I believe, in early December, before they announced it, and with the test by an anesthesiologist, proving that no mere mask that we can fashion as civilians will prevent the movement of this bug.

Then I have, since the day the article was read by me, perhaps in Playboy, where the Russian Military took charge of a California Marine Base, and foreign Dignatataries and Reps of America attended the meeting to determine how to unite the world and this Minor Biological Agent, created by the Chinese has killed fewer people than the Swine Flu, also a Carona Virus, I'm informed.

I, also, notice the differences in Main Stream Reporting on this Flu Bug. Raw Numbers are often too frightening to be used and Percentages were broadcast instead. Percentages will not work for this virus that has, according to CDC numbers, killed less than One Percent of the American People, the number, a little over 200K, rounds off to Zero Percent of the population and Zero Percent of the known cases. it is a minor danger, blown up to test the idea chosen to unite the world under one commander or it is a Dismal Failure of putting the Natural Disaster Uniting of the World. In either case, it does not matter and all of this comes from a Viet Nam Veteran of three tours with a collapsed immune system, I am a Prime Candidate for Death from all of this.

Can we cease to be of Hysterical Mind-Sets?

Well, I don't believe that the Chinese, Russians, and mainstream media entered into some kind of a plot to saturate the world with this virus; but, knowing the media and the Left's pathological hatred of Trump, I DO believe that the media is abiding by Rahm Emmanuel's old adage of "Never let a crisis go to waste", and they have purposely blown this virus way out of proportion to its actual danger, so they can use it as a cudgel to beat Trump over the head with. It was simply our misfortune that this stupid thing got loose in an election year. As I have said before: 48 hours after the election, you will hear very little, if anything, about the Coronavirus again.

Hopefully it won't be because we're all hunkered down in defensive positions, staring through our sights across no-man's-land at the opposite faction. :(

• Agree
Reactions: th1bill
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So, as I said: the veterans should just lay down in a ditch and die, so they won't inconvenience the "normal" people. How dare they come out into public and make everybody aware of the accommodations they require? Look, buster, I know you lost both legs in Afghanistan, but that's no excuse---we don't allow bikes, skateboards, scooters, or roller skates in here; you're just gonna have to walk!

I have to disagree. As I said, at my local store they would have pulled the order for this man. Perhaps your store doesn’t do that, but there certainly is not some universal feeling that veterans should lie down in a ditch and die. Here the store would have helped the man.

As I have said before: 48 hours after the election, you will hear very little, if anything, about the Coronavirus again.

This is a serious virus. It is not being overblown. I have not known anyone who has died from it, but I know people who had it. Two of them did serious hospital time. It isn’t going to go away after the election.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I guess I don’t get the analogy... Somebody has lost their legs from a war, but would try to ride a skateboard, scooter, or bike in a store and to disallow that is unfair...?

Or are you implying that a skateboard is somehow comparable to a wheelchair, a medical device, and therefore one can ban them for the same reasons they ban skateboards...? Because I shouldn’t have to tell you that’s really not how it works.

Beyond that, there are situations where a business may deny access to somebody with a wheelchair. It’s unfortunate, but there are times where allowing one simply isn’t practical or a reasonable accommodation. We have a gorge attraction here, it’s seasonal and outdoors, and has more than 1,400 steps. They don’t admit people with wheelchairs. There is no way to reasonably or safely accommodate their needs, nor is the structure of their business such that an accommodation can be built in, therefore, under the rights of ADA they are exempt.

Does it suck? Sure. It really sucks. I know I have zero fun sitting in the parking lot of a National Park because there are stairs to the top of the waterfall and I can’t do them, but the people who visit and run these places have rights too and they’re all equally as important. Being a retired service member does not mean you get special disability access rights, nor should it. The last thing people with disabilities need is gatekeeping and worthiness rankings.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
many are requesting notes from Drs now & there are fraudulant mask exceptions cards now

COVID-19 and Masks: Doctor, May I Be Excused?

from article:

"It's very rare for someone to need an exemption," says Albert Rizzo, MD, chief medical officer for the American Lung Association and a lung specialist at ChristianaCare Health System in Newark, DE."

"If you look at the research, patients with COPD, those with reactive airway, even those can breathe through a mask," George says. Requests for exemptions due to medical reasons are usually without basis, he says"

. Jointly issued by the American College of Chest Physicians, the American Lung Association, the American Thoracic Society and the COPD Foundation, it states in part that people with normal lungs and ''even many individuals with underlying chronic lung disease should be able to wear a non-N95 facial covering without affecting their oxygen or carbon dioxide levels."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well Howdy Neighbor! I live Just down the Hill, across the river in Sellwood :)
HI!!! I actually live NE, but I visit Lewis and Clark for work. Next time people here are saying Portland is on fire or a war zone maybe you can help me defend our lovely city:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟720,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

People should mind their own business. If someone don't have a mask and that bothers you .... then go/stay away 6 ft or further from them.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
People should mind their own business. If someone don't have a mask and that bothers you .... then go/stay away 6 ft or further from them.
no, if the store requires masks people should wear them.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟720,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
no, if the store requires masks people should wear them.

If the store requires masks ... then it's up to the store to enforce the requirement ... that is ... post someone at the door and deny people entry into the store.

I would agree the common courtesy is to wear a mask ... but unless the store enforces it themselves then best for one to mind their own business.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If the store requires masks ... then it's up to the store to enforce the requirement ... that is ... post someone at the door and deny people entry into the store.

if the store doesn’t require masks and they aren’t required by the state then you are right.

I would agree the common courtesy is to wear a mask ... but unless the store enforces it themselves then best for one to mind their own business.

I don’t understand the number of people on CF who refuse to wear masks. They are in part for the protection of others. I would think that a Christian would want to look out for other people.

Upvote 0