Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Went shopping with my wife today. At one grocery store we were in, there was an older fellow wearing an Army veteran's hat, and he had obviously been badly burned at some point in his past. He was not wearing any sort of mask.

As he approached the produce section, he was set upon by a young woman---late 20s, early 30s range. who loudly and angrily berated him for not having a mask on. There were several "shame on you's", accusations of selfishness and not caring about children, etc., etc., on and on. She was loud, and she was aggressive, and yes, she was actually pretty rude.

The veteran simply stood there and let her abuse him. When she finally stopped, he quietly asked, "Are you finished?" When she just stood there glaring at him, he said, "First of all, I have already had Covid-19, back in June, and recovered from it. Second of all, my lungs were burned from breathing napalm fumes in Vietnam in 1968. I lost 40% of my lung capacity, and I can't wear a mask, because if I do, I will pass out. I have a letter from my VA doctors in my pocket if you'd like to see it."

The woman stood there with her face hanging out, and her expression dropped about three feet. She started in with, "Oh, my gosh, I am so sorry...." but he held up a palm facing her and said, "Save it. You blew your chance for that ten minutes ago." Then he turned and walked away.

She looked like she'd been struck in the face, and he just looked grim. Myself and several others standing nearby applauded. He acknowledged this by nodding. He passed me (also wearing a veteran hat), and I said, "Welcome home, brother." He smiled and said, "You too. Thanks for your service."

It was one of the most amazingly gut-wrenching things I've ever seen. I've thought about it all afternoon, and I thought I would share. For those who shame anyone not wearing a mask: ask politely before you just lay into someone. Perhaps there's a very good reason why they're not wearing a mask.

GOD Shines Forth!

Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Went shopping with my wife today. At one grocery store we were in, there was an older fellow wearing an Army veteran's hat, and he had obviously been badly burned at some point in his past. He was not wearing any sort of mask.

As he approached the produce section, he was set upon by a young woman---late 20s, early 30s range. who loudly and angrily berated him for not having a mask on. There were several "shame on you's", accusations of selfishness and not caring about children, etc., etc., on and on. She was loud, and she was aggressive, and yes, she was actually pretty rude.

The veteran simply stood there and let her abuse him. When she finally stopped, he quietly asked, "Are you finished?" When she just stood there glaring at him, he said, "First of all, I have already had Covid-19, back in June, and recovered from it. Second of all, my lungs were burned from breathing napalm fumes in Vietnam in 1968. I lost 40% of my lung capacity, and I can't wear a mask, because if I do, I will pass out. I have a letter from my VA doctors in my pocket if you'd like to see it."

The woman stood there with her face hanging out, and her expression dropped about three feet. She started in with, "Oh, my gosh, I am so sorry...." but he held up a palm facing her and said, "Save it. You blew your chance for that ten minutes ago." Then he turned and walked away.

She looked like she'd been struck in the face, and he just looked grim. Myself and several others standing nearby applauded. He acknowledged this by nodding. He passed me (also wearing a veteran hat), and I said, "Welcome home, brother." He smiled and said, "You too. Thanks for your service."

It was one of the most amazingly gut-wrenching things I've ever seen. I've thought about it all afternoon, and I thought I would share. For those who shame anyone not wearing a mask: ask politely before you just lay into someone. Perhaps there's a very good reason why they're not wearing a mask.

The whole mask wearing thing is a crock or, as State Rep. Wendy Ullman refers to it, POLITICAL THEATER. It’s a drag that busybodies have been weaponized by this disease!

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I usually do not wear a mask because with my motor skills I have trouble putting them on and off. There have also been times where they would not stay and as I cannot put it back on myself it would defeat the purpose because someone would have to keep touching my face anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
People have been so jacked-up by media indoctrination that many have forgotten how to be human. Thank you. Will share unless you object.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

I would like to have been a witness to this event.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

People who can’t wear masks shouldn’t be in the store. Grocery stores will accommodate people in these situations with curbside or parking lot delivery the idea that his medical issue means he can put others at risk is absurd.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The whole mask wearing thing is a crock or, as State Rep. Wendy Ullman refers to it, POLITICAL THEATER. It’s a drag that busybodies have been weaponized by this disease!
You know better than all the experts, eh?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People have been so jacked-up by media indoctrination that many have forgotten how to be human. Thank you. Will share unless you object.
BTW, the President and his wife have COVID-19. He’s taking an experimental drug usually given as a last resort.

That said, there is no excuse for anyone to verbally assault someone for wearing or not wearing a mask. When I am in public and encounter someone not wearing a mask I simply avoid them.

Carry on.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Please do. Share all you'd like. :)

People who can’t wear masks shouldn’t be in the store. Grocery stores will accommodate people in these situations with curbside or parking lot delivery the idea that his medical issue means he can put others at risk is absurd.

According to him, he'd already had the virus back in June and recovered from it. So how could he be an unknowing carrier? Can you catch this disease multiple times and be contagious with it? Because if you can, I sure haven't heard about it.

• Friendly
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

According to him, he'd already had the virus back in June and recovered from it. So how could he be an unknowing carrier? Can you catch this disease multiple times and be contagious with it? Because if you can, I sure haven't heard about it.
Well, yes a few people have had it twice, which is alarming and scary. But the reason that doesn’t matter is that he could be lying. We aren’t depending on people’s word. And I’m not saying he is a liar, not at all.

When my allergies are really bad, I don’t go into the store even though I am quite sure I don’t have COVID. I don’t want anyone to have a moment of fear or worry if I am coughing or sniffling in the store. No one should have to just take someone’s word that they don’t have COVID. This is life or death. One trip to the store could kill someone.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟272,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, yes a few people have had it twice, which is alarming and scary. But the reason that doesn’t matter is that he could be lying. We aren’t depending on people’s word. And I’m not saying he is a liar, not at all.

When my allergies are really bad, I don’t go into the store even though I am quite sure I don’t have COVID. I don’t want anyone to have a moment of fear or worry if I am coughing or sniffling in the store. No one should have to just take someone’s word that they don’t have COVID. This is life or death. One trip to the store could kill someone.

Always assume the worst about everyone you meet. SMH.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Always assume the worst about everyone you meet. SMH.
Hold up, that’s not fair at all. I clearly stated that I don’t assume the man is lying. But how would anyone know? You would never sneeze or cough right in someone’s face then say, “it’s ok I’m not sick.” There are basic standards of hygiene that we follow out of respect for each other. Right now, because of how Covid is spread, wearing a mask is as basic as covering your mouth when you cough or washing your hands after using the restroom.

• Agree
Reactions: parousia70
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What a sad tragic story! --

She started in with, "Oh, my gosh, I am so sorry...." but he held up a palm facing her and said, "Save it. You blew your chance for that ten minutes ago." Then he turned and walked away.

Matthew 18:21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother who sins against me? Up to seven times?"
A good idea to keep reading, the next verse....and learn from our Savior.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟248,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Well they will make up what ever the government needs to keep its thumb on you. So if you have had it and they want you to still wear a mask, then they will say that a person can get it many times, or what will fit their goal.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟272,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What a sad tragic story! --

She started in with, "Oh, my gosh, I am so sorry...." but he held up a palm facing her and said, "Save it. You blew your chance for that ten minutes ago." Then he turned and walked away.

Matthew 18:21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother who sins against me? Up to seven times?"
A good idea to keep reading, the next verse....and learn from our Savior.

You're right.

It's a failing of mine that I tend to react to an attack with an overwhelming counterattack. It's the way we were taught, and in combat, it saves lives. But when you return to the "real" world, you can't just switch that off....especially if you have PTSD, like many of us do; it tends to make you paranoid, hypersensitive, and, sadly, many times angry and belligerent. I was fired from more than one job in my time from refusing to kowtow and take a chewing out from a supervisor.....I usually lost it and gave him worse than he gave me.

It's called an "amygdala hijack", and it manifests by either attacking your attacker, or hitting the ground to avoid incoming fire....loud, unexpected noises will do that. It's not fun, and it's not something you can always control. Both episodes will leave you sweating, shaking, swearing, heart hammering, angry, and on the verge of tears. I'm not sure if I could have reacted as calmly as the vet in the store---I might have flown off the handle. I always feel pretty crappy after something like that, but I take comfort in the fact that I know God understands that it's not something I can always get a handle on. There's no cure for it; PTSD literally re-configures your brain, and once you've got it, you've got it for life.

99% of civilians have no clue what it's like, and they should be thankful that they don't. I have heard people say too many times, "Well, it can't be that bad!", but let me assure you: yes, it is that bad. That bad, and worse.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're right.

It's a failing of mine that I tend to react to an attack with an overwhelming counterattack. It's the way we were taught, and in combat, it saves lives. But when you return to the "real" world, you can't just switch that off....especially if you have PTSD, like many of us do; it tends to make you paranoid, hypersensitive, and, sadly, many times angry and belligerent. I was fired from more than one job in my time from refusing to kowtow and take a chewing out from a supervisor.....I usually lost it and gave him worse than he gave me.

It's called an "amygdala hijack", and it manifests by either attacking your attacker, or hitting the ground to avoid incoming fire....loud, unexpected noises will do that. It's not fun, and it's not something you can always control. Both episodes will leave you sweating, shaking, swearing, heart hammering, angry, and on the verge of tears. I'm not sure if I could have reacted as calmly as the vet in the store---I might have flown off the handle. I always feel pretty crappy after something like that, but I take comfort in the fact that I know God understands that it's not something I can always get a handle on. There's no cure for it; PTSD literally re-configures your brain, and once you've got it, you've got it for life.

99% of civilians have no clue what it's like, and they should be thankful that they don't. I have heard people say too many times, "Well, it can't be that bad!", but let me assure you: yes, it is that bad. That bad, and worse.
PTSD is a real deal. But you do have to make sure you are mentally ready to deal with stupid civilians before walking among us. It’s not fair, but neither is a pandemic. I hope you are getting treatment and I appreciate that you must have felt like you were on a different planet when you returned to the states.

Keep hanging in there.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Do you also believe that people running services like grocery stores shouldn't put their lives at risk for you? Your needs are putting others in harms way just as you say this guy is doing. Curb side service or ordering online doesn't keep the workers safe it only helps you.

Upvote 0