What I LOVE and HATE about the Orthodox Church! (From a Protestant)

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,075.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Christina - don't despair :D

Glasgow for all its size has a few - Greek - serving in Greek, Russian , serving in Russian [ and their priest covers the whole of Scotland and the Isle of Man and northern Ireland !! ] Romanian , serving in Romanian , and the latest - a little Russian outreach under the Ecumenical Patriarch but serving in English.

I normally have a 100 mile round trip to get to my EC Church - and it serves in Ukrainian

• Friendly
Reactions: Christina C
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That is sad in many ways.

Sometimes God uses difficulties to help us, even those of us on both sides, in this situation, to grow in Him.

And the good news is that I got a text from a young lady at my Church who will be bringing me next week. I knew I could count on those in my Church once the need was known. Counting on my family is another matter, unfortunately. But again, God works in us and in others through very difficult situations, so in the end I can only be thankful.

I don't feel that way. :) I was the one who brought it up, and not because I had violated, or thought anyone thought I had or was headed in that direction but because I was holding back and could see myself cocked to head in that direction after one of Constantine's posts. And this is not a complaint about the post, just pertinent fact to subject.

I also brought it up, so I could try to figure out how we are to know what thread we can do what on, something I started a thread on before, (even suggested more obvious signs of what could an could not be done didn't go well so still searching) and still am in the dark on since I could find no indication at the beginning of this forum.

I'm still leaving it up to you all. :)

I'm glad you didn't take it that way. :)

BTW, most forums have a "statement of purpose" as a sticky at the top of the thread list. That will include all rules for that area.

I don't begin to know them all, lol. I'm familiar with the ones I post in often, but as an ambassador I often have to look up the intent for a particular forum to know if I should post any guidance or warnings in a thread, or if what is being said is allowed.

But just very basically, every congregational area - Orthodox, Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, Pentecostal, Catholic - whatever - every one of them has rules against arguing against their beliefs. I can't pop into the Baptist or Catholic forum and tell them where I might think they got it wrong. That's basic congregational forum area rules.

But people sometimes learn by debate, understand by debate. They may not change their minds, but it's a valid method of better understanding and appreciating each other. And it's never very convincing to say "I'm right because I say so and you're not allowed to argue with me!" That REALLY doesn't set well with me, so I'm very glad the Orthodox have a forum set up to allow debate. Some do take advantage of it, lol. :) And it's good, IMO. :)

Hopefully we can get a mod to split it out soon. Probably not until after the weekend, as A4C noted, since many are busy with Church today. I look forward to the discussion continuing freely. :)

God be with you!

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes God uses difficulties to help us, even those of us on both sides, in this situation, to grow in Him.

And the good news is that I got a text from a young lady at my Church who will be bringing me next week. I knew I could count on those in my Church once the need was known. Counting on my family is another matter, unfortunately. But again, God works in us and in others through very difficult situations, so in the end I can only be thankful.

I'm glad you didn't take it that way. :)

BTW, most forums have a "statement of purpose" as a sticky at the top of the thread list. That will include all rules for that area.

I don't begin to know them all, lol. I'm familiar with the ones I post in often, but as an ambassador I often have to look up the intent for a particular forum to know if I should post any guidance or warnings in a thread, or if what is being said is allowed.

But just very basically, every congregational area - Orthodox, Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, Pentecostal, Catholic - whatever - every one of them has rules against arguing against their beliefs. I can't pop into the Baptist or Catholic forum and tell them where I might think they got it wrong. That's basic congregational forum area rules.

But people sometimes learn by debate, understand by debate. They may not change their minds, but it's a valid method of better understanding and appreciating each other. And it's never very convincing to say "I'm right because I say so and you're not allowed to argue with me!" That REALLY doesn't set well with me, so I'm very glad the Orthodox have a forum set up to allow debate. Some do take advantage of it, lol. :) And it's good, IMO. :)

Hopefully we can get a mod to split it out soon. Probably not until after the weekend, as A4C noted, since many are busy with Church today. I look forward to the discussion continuing freely. :)

God be with you!

On getting a ride, I agree, and this just came up on another thread. I think sometimes people end up in a situation where they need help just so God can either get the ones who won't help to think twice, or simply to test them and see how they act. If no one ever needed anything how would God ever know if or not we would care for the needy as we are told to.

On the threads and what is allowed, color code them, or something...anything. As I've said before, they are like an unintentional trap and can cause serious problems for a poster if there is misunderstanding on what's what.

Upvote 0

Christina C

Sep 23, 2016
England
✟26,752.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Christina - don't despair :D

Glasgow for all its size has a few - Greek - serving in Greek, Russian , serving in Russian [ and their priest covers the whole of Scotland and the Isle of Man and northern Ireland !! ] Romanian , serving in Romanian , and the latest - a little Russian outreach under the Ecumenical Patriarch but serving in English.

I normally have a 100 mile round trip to get to my EC Church - and it serves in Ukrainian
Thanks Anhelyna. I wouldn't have to travel quite that far. I think this is something I have to work through. The nearest community is about a 45 minute drive and only meets one Saturday a month. I think that is the one I'll have to go for. For a Sunday service I would have to travel further. If I were on my own I would gladly do this, but my family is unlikely to appreciate my being away from them for what would be the large part of every Sunday. I know that probably sounds like a dreadful excuse.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
On getting a ride, I agree, and this just came up on another thread. I think sometimes people end up in a situation where they need help just so God can either get the ones who won't help to think twice, or simply to test them and see how they act. If no one ever needed anything how would God ever know if or not we would care for the needy as we are told to.

I think you're right that there can be a number of reasons. In our parish, people are quick to help. There are some I just wouldn't ask to take on the burden. One lady wants to take care of me quite a bit but - she lives well over an hour from me, is almost 90, has had about 30 surgeries herself in recent years, is caring for a husband with Alzheimer's and a son who has some problem that affects him mentally - I would feel in the wrong if I accepted help from her. Others are in similar situations. I think this is something for someone else to face. God uses it all. And to be honest, I'm learning to accept all kinds of help I'm unused to having to accept, though asking for a ride is no problem for me. Asking for much more help can be. It's rather humbling, which I suppose shows me I had pride I never knew existed, just in taking care of personal needs. Anyway ...

On the threads and what is allowed, color code them, or something...anything. As I've said before, they are like an unintentional trap and can cause serious problems for a poster if there is misunderstanding on what's what.

I understand, but the software limits us too. That's why we post an SOP in each forum. Mostly the ones who aren't Christian have to be aware of where they are allowed to post. And those with very unorthodox doctrine (generally something not shared by Christianity as a whole) can usually argue for such ideas only in particular places. Don't go to a particular group's board to argue with them.

Most general conversation among Christians is pretty forgiving. But we need rules in place to prevent everything being an absolute free-for-all. Many years ago when the internet was pretty new, I used to visit Christian sites where you couldn't have decent conversation because it was mostly overrun with atheists mocking anything a Christian said. That's an extreme example, but CF tries to provide areas to allow for all kinds of discussion. I wish it was easier too, but the system we have is the best we can do with what we've got I think. In the gap are many like myself and even regular members who try to remind folks of rules. :) We try. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I checked for stickies on this forum for rules it may be one of those threads where we aren't allowed to disagree, and saw nothing. Before I go on, I'm going to need to be clear on that? And if it is, could someone please point out where it is written so I can find it for myself the next time?
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
-Galatians 1:8

Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
-
Romans 16:17-18

A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.
-Titus 3:10-11

John is just as direct as Paul: If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
-2 John 1:10-11

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just to be on the safe side, locking this to prevent any problems. Several of us may be unavailable today, and I was hoping we could get things sorted by now.

Will hopefully get other topics moved to new thread and reopen.

Peace to you all. :)

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,747,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread was moved to St. Justin's so the discussion can continue. I looked at splitting it, but it was really hard to pick out the posts to move and not disrupt all conversation.

Reopening.
If someone truly wants it split, please pm me with the post numbers you think need to be moved to a separate thread.​

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
MOD HAT

This thread was moved to St. Justin's so the discussion can continue. I looked at splitting it, but it was really hard to pick out the posts to move and not disrupt all conversation.

Reopening.
If someone truly wants it split, please pm me with the post numbers you think need to be moved to a separate thread.​
Thanks, Free. Sorry I have been unable to get that listed for you. Trying to get back into life after all I've had going on and I barely have time to get online with the energy I have available.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is good for getting evangelicals from the 70's interested but who cares today?

evangelicals. I would bust this out when I do chaplain training and it always throws them for a loop.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I love the Orthodox Church, but ummm the Church of Christ seems oddly inaccessible to far too many people. Perhaps not that unusual until the one true church claim comes into play. If it's true, Christ is again oddly inaccessible.

I agree... missiology is an area that Orthodox need to work on. My former priest was reading anything on the subject, including Rick Warren, and it just seemed in the end he was constrained by Orthodoxy as Orthodoxy.

Yesterday at church we sang the hymn "All are Welcome". It's full of theology, despite the fluffy sounding title. That's about the opposite tone of the Orthodox Church, which is more like the Kung Fu movie where the novitiate stands outside the monastery waiting for Master Po to open the door, to prove his worthiness. Sounds really cool, right? You can almost smell the sandalwood and camphor burning, and pretty soon you will be using words like "Grasshopper" and "Padawan" and saying random quips that belong in fortune cookies. But the more important thing is that old cliche, "WWJD?"

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's about the opposite tone of the Orthodox Church, which is more like the Kung Fu movie where the novitiate stands outside the monastery waiting for Master Po to open the door, to prove his worthiness.

Honestly, I have not seen this in my personal experience.

• Agree
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Honestly, I have not seen this in my personal experience.

Are you white, married, and middle class, and are most in your church also? That might explain why. Some people are subtlely prejudiced and there's a certain privileging that is not always appreciated. Someone who is middle class and very excited about bringing in their entire family is received in a few months, but somebody like me who was single, unemployed, struggling, with health problems was frequently ignored. I felt like I was being treated as a problem to manage rather than someone with unique gifts.

So no, as much as I like the Orthodox Church's way of worshipping God, I don't buy the "one true Church" thing, and I'd encourage alot of skepticism to the claims... for peoples own psychological health. The one true church is where two or three are gathered together in Jesus name to offer their worship praise and their lives as sacrifices to God.

Personally, I think its down to a hard rejection of an Augustinian anthropology (especially in more modern times with the Neo-Patristic movement) and a soteriology based off that. I love the idea of synergia, but I think its more of an ideal than a reality. The unfortunate thing is many Orthodox turn it into Gospel. If all that is needed is a "course correction" to get Adam back on track to godhood, a little cooperation with God, that's a real misunderstanding of the human condition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Are you white, married, and middle class, and are most in your church also? That might explain why. Some people are subtlely prejudiced and there's a certain privileging that is not always appreciated. Someone who is middle class and very excited about bringing in their entire family is received in a few months, but somebody like me who was single, unemployed, struggling, with health problems was frequently ignored. I felt like I was being treated as a problem to manage rather than someone with unique gifts.

While I may fit into the category you mentioned, many in my church do not fit that category. I'm not saying it doesn't happen - but that hasn't been the experience I've seen. Honestly, I've seen the opposite. I am truly sorry you experienced that though.

ETA: I also was single and in a very low paying job when I joined. I was struggling from abusive relationship experiences and struggling with health problems. I still have the last one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yesterday at church we sang the hymn "All are Welcome". It's full of theology, despite the fluffy sounding title. That's about the opposite tone of the Orthodox Church, which is more like the Kung Fu movie where the novitiate stands outside the monastery waiting for Master Po to open the door, to prove his worthiness. Sounds really cool, right? You can almost smell the sandalwood and camphor burning, and pretty soon you will be using words like "Grasshopper" and "Padawan" and saying random quips that belong in fortune cookies. But the more important thing is that old cliche, "WWJD?"

that's actually nothing like the Orthodoxy I have seen.

Are you white, married, and middle class, and are most in your church also?

while I am, the diocese of NY just received an all African American Protestant church into Orthodoxy, which kinda flies in the face of your point here. I know more than a few non-white and non middle class folks who have become Orthodox.

Upvote 0