What historical evidence proves the existence of God?

Dave Darling

Jan 10, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟114,079.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There is a scripture in Luke that describes the moment Jesus was crucified and passed away:” It was now about noon and darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon because of an eclipse of the sun.” -Luke 23:44-45 NASA has confirmed there was a solar eclipse in 33 A.D, the year when Jesus was crucified! Furthermore I checked out some information on solar eclipses and they tend to last about 3 hours, with the totality (the total blockage of the sun) lasting about 2 minutes, this agrees with the description of the solar eclipse in the scripture! They did not know the length of a solar eclipse back in the days of the bible, this is known only to modern science!

I also did some research on the chances of a solar eclipse occurring at any given place on the earth and it is only once every 100 years! The odds of a solar eclipse occurring at the exact place and time that Jesus was on the cross are astronomical, way too high to be a freak thing! It was clearly supernatural! The bible described the eclipse as lasting 3 hours which points to a complete solar eclipse which is very rare and only cover about a 50 mile radius on the earth and only occurs once every 100 years.
Did a Solar Eclipse Darken the Skies during Jesus’ Crucifixion?

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟212,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The New Testament itself is historical. Even doubters do not question Paul’s letters written shortly after Jesus’s death were by Paul. He was around shortly after Jesus. The whole New Testament was written around this time. Different men wrote the different books in different places & times to different groups of people. They claimed to either be eye-witnesses or have met eye-witnesses. Jews didn’t testify Jesus didn’t exist or didn’t perform miracles, they disagreed he was the Messiah as prophesied in their Scriptures because he wasn’t a warrior & he broke some of their customs.

Christianity wasn’t started because someone claimed God revealed himself to them all by their lonesome or in a dream, or that things happened 1000 years ago. It spread thru testimonies in the present, as it continues to today.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Is there any evidence that doesn’t only prove the Bible, but proves the existence of God? I know I shouldn’t, but sometimes I wonder if God is even real, and historical evidence would really help me.

For me, the universe is evidence of God. I'll admit there isn't evidence in the common idea of who God is but there is at least circumstantial evidence for the Christian God which I find more compelling than anything else.

On the Universe. We don't walk by some random car and think there is a possibility that all the metal, plastic, oil, etc just formed itself into a car and just properly functions out of luck, do we? No.. we know even if we've never seen this car constructed and engineered that someone made that. This logic is the same with the universe and with living species. The universe fine tuned and properly placed that I just find it harder to believe this was all an accident.

With the Christian God it is all sociological evidence to me. There is no proof of what Christ did, but it is factual that he existed and his apostles seriously believed in who he was. So the question is, how? How do you just convince people so strongly about being resurrected after being a Roman execution that they where willing to just die for it? Then the impact he has had through history is also added.. then Paul who I see as the biggest skeletal key of Christ.
--

There are many things I wrestle with though . I don't believe Genesis and Rev to be anything other than figurative. I have a hard time believing in satan. I don't understand the concept of a holy God who can't make mistakes.

There are things in nature that do make me question the "all-good" part such as how violent animals are in killing each other, and how he is perfect when we are arguably evidence of him being capable of making mistakes. I don't know this part, i just take in faith that there are questions that I can't get answers because we can't understand/know everything.

Upvote 0

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟42,255.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Is there any evidence that doesn’t only prove the Bible, but proves the existence of God? I know I shouldn’t, but sometimes I wonder if God is even real, and historical evidence would really help me.
God cannot be proved to exist.

God can be known, not by the sciences, but by being loved, in and through Christ. Reason by itself is woefully, ridiculously, insufficient for man to come to God. Unless God in His grace comes to us first, to guide our hearts and our feet, we will never so much as think of going to God, let alone do so. All the work is done by God - and a little of it, is done by us also, as God's "co-workers".

There is no historical evidence for God - historical evidence can show that various deities are worshipped, but it cannot
1) show that those deities are real beings
and
2) it cannot distinguish between them, and the True God. Historically, there is evidence of the cult of Apollo; and of the cult of JHWH - there is also historical evidence that the two deities were identified. But there is no historical for the real existence of either. If deities are real, historical and other scientific evidence cannot show that they, or either of them, are or is real. That is not what the sciences are for.

Historical evidence, like that of other sciences, is reductionist; it can provide evidence of the existence and deeds of deities & Saints - but not of their sanctity. That is far more true of the God Who is glorious in His Saints - the God Who transcends nature, cannot be reduced to it, or fitted into it.

An illustration: no sane person who knows what things are, would expect to find J K Rowling within the Harry Potter books. "J K Rowling is the author of the HP books", does not mean or imply that:

1. She is present in the binding, print, and other material parts of the books; tearing out a page, or all the pages, won't harm her in any way;

nor that

2. She can be found within the story told in the books;

nor that

3. She exists along aside the characters in the story, so that just as they encounter one another, she and they can encounter one another within the story - there is no manner in which she is one of her own characters.

4. All that said, there is a a genuine & real relation between her OTOH, and the story and the characters OTO. The characters exist within the story; it is the environment within which they live and move and have their being, and she is (under God), the creator and author of them, and of it. That feigned reality, and those characters, and all that they do, is "from" her; it is totally dependent on her. It does not however follow, that she can be discovered "in" that feigned world, as an entity within it. She is present in that world, that story, those characters, not in her own person, but by her working and her effects. In herself, she is totally inaccessible to the characters in that world and that story and those books as material items.

If a Muggle in that world were to say, "Show me this JKR of yours, and I will believe", the Muggle would be making the same type of mistake as many sceptics do in this-worldly reality. The difference is, that God is far more Real, than any mere human could be. God is too Real, too Good, too Living, to "fit into" the universe we inhabit: "Even though a total solar eclipse will effectively blot out all of the sun's light during totality, the powerful light from our closest star can still cause eye damage in a matter of seconds during the partial phases of the eclipse…". In comparison with God, the Eternal Uncreated Light before all material light, the Sun is less than nothing. To see God, one must be like God, united with God. God must be loved, to be seen and known; and seen and loved infinitely, to be known infinitely. But only an Infinite, Divine Person can do that. IOW, without the Son of God as our Mediator in all things, we cannot know the Father.

• Informative
Reactions: gao yun
Upvote 0

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟42,255.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Most people don't doubt the existence of God. The debate is which God or gods is correct?
The one Who was a crucified Jew, Who died, and was buried, and rose again from the dead; not in a myth, or a mystery-rite, or a figure of speech, but "under Pontius Pilate".

This is the only god with a date in history.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

Servant78

Mar 4, 2022
Bali
✟31,644.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cant you see that all living creature was Made by design ?

Not a single creature is able to design their shape.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Walk outside and look at creation.

Reactions: WhoIsLikeGod?
Upvote 0

Ray Glenn

Jun 10, 2021
Birmingham
✟31,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Jesus's resurrection, can you find evidence that shows it did not happen, because if you can there is no reason for Christianity."

Even the most learned of Atheists, spending their entire life trying trying to prove the Bible wrong, stop short when challenged with the resurrection and creation. They don't have an answer. Just as Science doesn't have an answer.

Upvote 0

WhoIsLikeGod?

May 29, 2018
North Central Mass
✟39,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The Bible, LOL.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WhoIsLikeGod?

May 29, 2018
North Central Mass
✟39,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

WhoIsLikeGod?

May 29, 2018
North Central Mass
✟39,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

WhoIsLikeGod?

May 29, 2018
North Central Mass
✟39,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Let me give you my personal testimony. I think it qualifies as evidence of the existence of God.

I was born into a Christian family. My dad was on the worship team at Grace Bible Church, a modest-sized baptist church located in Leominster, Massachusetts. I can remember listening to our pastor's sermons as an infant, and although I didn't understand his message at that age, his delivery and tone of voice taught me that he was kind, loving, and emotionally secure. I grew older and understood more. I went to church with my family for 18 years straight without hardly missing a service. I believed, but only because Christianity was the only religion I knew. Then I went to college. When I arrived, I overheard a conversation held between a new friend and an upperclassman about God. The upperclassman didn't believe in God, and he gave several logical reasons as to why. He happened to appear as the bigger man in that particular conversation. That left me with a hitch.

I began wondering if my parents had it wrong. Throughout my first year of college, I forwent attending church. In fact, I didn't attend church again until an old high school classmate invited me back 13 years later. On Christmas Day, 2015, I woke up first thing in the morning, took a big gasp of air, and had the sudden idea in my head that God was real and the Bible was true. I never have ideas first thing in the morning! I'm a heavy sleeper, and it takes me a while to actually get up. I had no reason to have this thought as soon as I awoke. I wasn't pondering it the night before, or ever, really, except that first week at college. So I recognized this idea in my head as an idea given to me by God, himself. I ran out of my room that morning looking for someone to share my enthusiasm with. My family and I were on a Christmas holiday in Gilford, NH. As I entered the kitchen, I found my mom and uncle sitting at the bar. Telling them my experience, my uncle replied, "It only gets better from here on out..." Interestingly enough, I believed him.

I decided then and there that I would study my Bible when I got home. Sure enough, January 2, I started reading my Bible. The statements that are made in the Bible are made with such confidence that one has to believe they are true, or crazy. Yet, as I checked all the promises and fulfillments carefully to see if they checked out, I found that the words of Jesus and the prophets rang true! Can you believe it? I didn't even read my Bible those 18 years I called myself a Christian! By January 18, 2016, Martin Luther King Day, I had read so many compelling evidences internally within the Bible of Jesus' Lordship that I decided to give my sins to Jesus!

I sat down at my kitchen table and prayed the sinner's prayer: "God, I really am a sinner. I acknowledge that the wages for sin is death. I believe Jesus Christ was your sinless son and died on a cross at the hands of misguided authorities so that I may live in heaven with you. I also believe that you rose Jesus from the dead and that he ascended to heaven to live with you, also. I want to make Jesus my Lord. Amen."

No lie; the second I finished this prayer that day, my head suddenly shook, physically, for about 4 seconds while energy like electricity circuited throughout my brain. It was incredible. The energy felt good, like healing. When it was over, I was amazed. No one was home with me, so I told my roommates the next time I saw them.

I hope this gives you faith to know you can trust the Bible. It is a 100% true story. May God continue to provide you with reasons you can believe in him. Have a happy Easter!

Much love,
Mike

Upvote 0

Davy

Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

YES, there is a Scripture which PROVES beyond all doubt that God exists.

Heb 11:3
3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

KJV

This is going to get technical, but it is all according to even man's science.

That phrase above in red, break it down...

a.1. -- "so that things which are seen"...
..... b.-- "WERE NOT MADE OF":
a.2. -- "things which do appear".

a.1 -- things we 'see' today are about what? This earthly material world of matter. It includes the known universe, earth, the planets, the stars, etc., God's material creation.

a.2 -- things which 'appear' is ALSO about this earthly material universe of matter.

What's that mean then? It means this earthly material matter DID NOT CREATE ITSELF. Something OUTSIDE it had to have created it.

And one of the most basic scientific laws of material matter is that matter cannot be created nor destroyed (by us), but can only change its state (liquid, solid, gas, vapor).

Per John 4:24, God is a Spirit. There are many Scriptures in God's Word that reveal the difference between this earthly dimension of material matter we live in, and the heavenly dimension of Spirit where the abode of God and the angels is.

Just the FACT that material matter exists shows that something or someone OUTSIDE of the earthly dimension had to have created matter. That someone is our Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ, GOD. Nor can the atheists (like Richard Dawkins) truthfully say that aliens created us or the creation either, because if those aliens actually exist, then even they... would have to have been created in the flesh of material matter!

So think, 'independent of matter', is the requirement of The Creator. Thus that actually proves 2 things, that GOD is independent of this material creation He made, and so is His Spirit which is not made of material matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟75,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You are the historical evidence!

Does your heart beat without a designer? Your lungs breath? Your bowels empty? Without a designer?????

YOU are the historical evidence!

May your own thinking settle it for you. Not the thinking of others.

What really confuses many is how God is infinitely beyond our controlling Him. Yet, He controls all we are!

Remember that the next time you sneeze.

Upvote 0

gao yun

May 23, 2022
hubei
✟17,068.00
Country
China
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
If we had historical evidence of God, it would be knowledge, not faith. One day when we're with God, we will have such knowledge, but right now we are required to have faith. If our faith isn't strong enough, then we can lean on Jesus Christ and HIS faith will make up for where we fail. For us, faith is a decision. We decide to follow Jesus. We decide to trust. We decide to commit. Etc. For me, I see evidence of God just by walking outside and seeing all the wondrous things he made and knowing that it didn't just all randomly happen by mistake. I can't scientifically prove it (and again if I could, it wouldn't be faith), but it's still sufficient evidence for me, even if it turned out that every historical description in scripture was false. I don't base my faith on the historical or scientific truth of scripture (because that's not the purpose of scripture) but on the truth of God that is revealed through scripture.
I totally agree with your point of view

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I don't have historical evidence, but...

I suggest you stop what you are doing and observe your present experience. Watch and listen quietly. Are you alive and aware? How is that possible? How does inert matter come alive? You are a walking miracle. God must exist, but who this God is something you must search yourself. I recommend first doing self-inquiry by asking yourself, "Who am I?" and looking within. You will find it quite strange that a universe could produce such a conscious "entity," there must be more to it.

Upvote 0

Davy

Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just the fact that the material universe exists, and the fact that it did not create itself, is enough proof of God's existence for me.

Just the fact that this material dimension of matter exists is proof of another non-material dimension that it was created from. And that's enough proof to me for God's existence in that non-material dimension.

John 4:24
24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.
KJV

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟398,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The debate is which God or gods is correct?

God of Israel has a lot to say about "other gods"

Declaring the end from the beginning,
and from ancient times the things that are
not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand,
and I will do all my pleasure:

Set forth your case, says the Lord; bring
your proofs, says the King of Jacob.

22 Let them bring them, and tell us what is to happen.
Tell us the former things, what they are, so that we may
consider them, and that we may know their outcome; or
declare to us the things to come.

23 Tell us what is to come hereafter, that we may know
that you are gods; do good, or do harm, that we may be
afraid and terrified.
-

Exodus 12:12 (KJV)
For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night,
and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt,
both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt
I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.

Psalm 96:5 (KJV)
For all the gods of the nations are idols:
But the LORD made the heavens.
-

“Surely the Lord God will do nothing,
but he revealeth his secret unto his
servants the prophets” (Amos 3:7)

“We have also a more sure word of
prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye
take heed, as unto a light that shinethin
a dark place, until the day dawn, and
the day star arise in your hearts:

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of
the scripture is of any private interpretation.
For the prophecy came not in old time by the
will of man: but holy men of God spake
as they were moved by the Holy [Spirit]”

Upvote 0