What historical evidence proves the existence of God?

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What proves the existence of God is when God, by means of the filling of the Spirit) liberates your soul from thinking with flesh dominated religion.

Christianity when its functioning as it should, is producing a *relationship* with God by the Spirit. One that makes that soul able to be 'knowing' that its real.

Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba, Father.” Gal 4:6

Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.” Jn 14:21

Be patient and keep seeking through prayer to the Father in Jesus name good teachers to learn from...

The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hvizsgyak

Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill
✟94,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Is there any evidence that doesn’t only prove the Bible, but proves the existence of God? I know I shouldn’t, but sometimes I wonder if God is even real, and historical evidence would really help me.

The only way you are going to have actual evidence of God is through the many scientifically documented miracles that have occurred all around the world and understanding the complexities of organisms on this planet that scream a Creator. Everything else is based upon asking God to give you faith. God bless.

Upvote 0

Dennis_Hogg

Mar 20, 2006
✟11,215.00
Faith
Christian
This might be a little different from other posts on this topic, but I think that the Bible gives us some of its own apologetics on this topic

This is Rom 1:18-23. You should get out your bibles and read the entire chapter for context.
" 18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them.
20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,
23 and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures."

New American Standard Bible: 1995 update (Ro 1:18–23). (1995). The Lockman Foundation.

Notice verse 19 "God made it evident to them" Verse 20 explains that God's creation has displayed some of His attributes and describes the evidence as "clearly seen". This evidence is so clear that God considers them "without excuse" for ignoring it.

So, God's creation is the evidence.

Now - how do we know that Christianity is true? The proper question is the opposite of this. I posted elsewhere:
We need to be careful to ask the correct question. In proper logic, we always need to ask the question "What would make my premise false?" In this case, "What would make Christianity or the Bible False".
The Bible asks and answers this question the correct way in logic. If The Lord Jesus Christ did not rise from the dead, then our faith is in vain 1 Cor 15:1-19 A part is quoted here:
13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, not even Christ has been raised;
14 and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain.

17 and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.

New American Standard Bible:

The Lord Jesus Christ rising from the dead is irrefutable proof that He does have "Life in Himself" and this is the ultimate proof that God is living. This is a good and logical test for the ultimate claims of Christianity. If you disprove the resurrection, then Christianity can be discarded. If you cannot, then it stands as truth.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is there any evidence that doesn’t only prove the Bible, but proves the existence of God? I know I shouldn’t, but sometimes I wonder if God is even real, and historical evidence would really help me.
You exist and are aware of it. How is that possible? There is God, but we only know Him as equivalent to the concept of being. We cannot deny being. It is simply happening without effort on our so-called individual part. Being is what everything that appears to exist depends on, whatever that is.

Now, if you looking for the God of the Bible, arrayed with all these particular descriptions of his attributes and works, that's a matter of faith.

All we know fully and undoubtedly is that being is the substratum of reality. Paul rightly says, by quoting the writers familiar to the Athenians, that "in Him we live and move and have our being" (Acts 17:28). He shines through the existence of everything, and yet at the same time seems to be hidden within the existence of everything. It is a baffling paradox, and if you were to investigate this matter further, you may find a different answer than what you were originally expecting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,361.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The continued existence of the Jewish people, despite centuries of persecution and pogroms and their return to Israel, is historical evidence that God keeps his promises.

The continued existence and growth of the church in the worst of circumstances is historical proof.

The Bible stories are set in a context that archaeology affirms to a definite extent so these are not stories just plucked out of the air like many Hindu myths for example. So Pilate existed for instance and there are inscriptions in Caesarea and commentary in Josephus on the man.

The life of Christ in history is the greatest proof and affirmation of the scriptures also as he fulfills many of the prophecies.

The continued occurrence of miracles in Christ's name is historical proof.

But there were people who saw miracles in Christ's day who did not believe what they affirmed. Pilate himself knew that Jesus rose and there are reports that he even recognized him as a god in later life. But he never understood who Jesus really was despite his first-hand historical witness. The sources are clear but not everyone has the eyes to see them as they are.

Upvote 0

Clarissa_

Mar 8, 2024
South Carolina
✟11,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Believing is never easy. But there cannot be irrefutable "historical" proof for a person who has doubts cause the explanation will never be convincing and she/he will want another one. Maybe you should talk to your parents and your church teacher about it.

Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟15,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is there any evidence that doesn’t only prove the Bible, but proves the existence of God?

A.) All of Creation.

Romans 1

""For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.""

"""For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:""

""For ever since the creation of the world God's invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through His workmanship [all His creation, the wonderful things that He has made], so that they [who fail to believe and trust in Him] are without excuse and without defense."""

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟33,731.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

There is lots of evidence all around. In history, in nature, in reason and philosophy.

The fact that Beauty and Goodness exist.
The fact that the world has such a thing as meaning.
The world itself.

I don't entirely know what you mean by historical evidence, but one of the most basic things of history is that you have to come up with an explanation of the world that accounts for why the world is both so full of goodness, and also so full of evil. What can explain that?

You can look at things like prophecies in the Bible, you can look at the long history of miracles in Christian history. You can look at the lives of the saints of the past.

Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟15,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is lots of evidence all around. In history, in nature, in reason and philosophy.

Romans 1:19-20
-
since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.

New Living Translation
They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them.

English Standard Version
For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them.

Berean Standard Bible
For what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.

Berean Literal Bible
because the known of God is manifest among them, for God has revealed it to them.

King James Bible
Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

New King James Version
because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them.

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

New Living Translation
For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.

English Standard Version
For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

Berean Standard Bible
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood from His workmanship, so that men are without excuse.

Berean Literal Bible
For from the creation of the world His invisible qualities, both His eternal power and divinity, are clearly seen, being understood by the things made, for them to be without excuse.

King James Bible
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

New King James Version
For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,463.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Where does matter/energy come from?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums