• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What helped you cope today?

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
1. A good sense of humour.
2. Telling colleagues at work I really appreciate everything they do.
3. Not being overly worried about what I do not have, but grateful for what I do have. The most important thing in this world is to love and be loved.
4. Realising that if don't have unrealistic expectations, then I won't be disappointed.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hey @Starnchrist, when I have trouble coping, I try to focus/remember who I am (in Christ), and I go to the foot of the Cross and remember all that He did (and does) for me (and therefore, how very much I am loved by Him).

I also make a conscious effort to remember to listen to Him/trust Him/take Him at His word (rather than listening to my "feelings" in the moment, which is not an easy thing to do at times).

And I try to remember to trust in the great and wondrous promises that He made to all of us who are His, as well in His counsel to us .. e.g. Joshua 1:8; Psalm 1:1-3, 119:105; Proverbs 3:5-6; Isaiah 40:31, 41:10, 43:1-3; Lamentations 3:21-23; John 3:16, 5:24; Romans 8:28; Philippians 1:6, 2:13, 4:6-8; 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; Hebrews 7:25; 1 John 1:9, Jude 24-25.

Finally, click on the graphic in my signature line as I believe Pastor Swindoll's quote is a good one to keep in mind :oldthumbsup: (and click on this link if you'd like to hear a short encouragement on the same topic .. TRUST GOD).

God bless you! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David
p.s. - another thing that really helps me is to begin to look for things to thank Him/rejoice in Him for. Usually its just little things (at first), like a beautiful sunrise or sunset, a cool summer breeze, or a wonderful verse or passage or promise from the Bible .. e.g. Jeremiah 29:11; Psalm 103. Also, I begin to look for ways that I can go help others as a Christian. This is very helpful as I usually find that my own needs are met as well whenever I do :)

Matthew 6
25 Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?
26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?
27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
28 And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labour or spin.
29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendour was dressed like one of these.
30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’
32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.
33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Salvadore

Feb 2, 2020
Nashville
✟40,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
This morning, my neighborhood had church on the driveway. We sat 6 feet apart. We prayed, sang, listened to scripture and had communion. This is our second neighborhood service. We had a service during a flood when we could not leave our neighborhood. We hope to meet next week ; God willing.

• Agree
Reactions: JohnAshton
Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Italian doctor who said she was not afraid of getting sick but if she did she could not help those who were sick.

Do I have that bravery? I think it is the equivalent of going into combat day after day against a well armed, well trained determined army.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Here's part of a recent Desiring God Ministries article, What Courage Might Corona Unleash?, that I found encouraging. (Zwingli was one of the principle Protestant Reformers in 16th Century Switzerland just FYI)

‘I Fear No Loss’

In 1519, when the Black Death reached Zurich, Switzerland, home of pastor and Reformer Ulrich Zwingli, the disease eventually wiped out a third of the population. Zwingli had been on vacation. While everyone else fled the city, however, he courageously dove back in to care for and comfort the sick, and to tell them about the hope he had in Jesus.

As he risked his life, believing Christ still had many in his contaminated city (Acts 18:9–10) and would be with him in the perils (Isaiah 43:1–3; Matthew 28:20), he caught the disease and nearly died. But not in vain, and not without hope, for he suffered in the path of Love.

He wrote several poems in the throes of the sickness, with lines like these:

In faith and hope
Earth I resign.
Secure of heaven.
For I am Thine.
And then later, as his symptoms worsened:

He harms me not,
I fear no loss,
For here I lie
Beneath thy cross.
Zwingli’s hope in heaven did not make him reckless or selfish in the face of sickness and death. It filled him with courage and unleashed him to see, and seek to meet, the needs of others. Knowing what was at stake, and what was waiting for him on the other side of death, he accepted the danger, at enormous risk to himself, to care for the suffering, especially those destined for eternal suffering.

May the same be true of us, as Christians move toward, not away from, neighbors in need; as churches open our arms and doors of hospitals become full and overwhelmed; as we embrace the right risks, at the right times, and so fill our fearful cities with the name of Jesus.

Now Is the Time

The gospel is always drowned out more easily in peacetime. What is there to fear? But not in a pandemic. When a cholera outbreak came to London, Charles Spurgeon admonished everyone in Christ,

Now is the time for all of you who love souls. You may see men more alarmed than they are already; and if they should be, mind that you avail yourselves of the opportunity of doing them good. You have the Balm of Gilead; when their wounds smart, pour it in. You know of Him who died to save; tell them of Him. Lift high the cross before their eyes. Tell them that God became man that man might be lifted to God. Tell them of Calvary, and its groans, and cries, and sweat of blood. Tell them of Jesus hanging on the cross to save sinners. Tell them that —

“There is life for a look at the Crucified One.”

Tell them that He is able to save to the uttermost all them that come unto God by Him. Tell them that He is able to save even at the eleventh hour, and to say to the dying thief, “today shalt thou be with Me in Paradise.”
God has prepared good works for us (Ephesians 2:10). He has prepared us for days like these. He plans to show the immeasurable riches of his kindness through simple acts of Christian courage in a world paralyzed and consumed by fear.

Father, in the name of Jesus, use your church. ~Marshall Segal

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marshall Segal (@marshallsegal) is a writer and managing editor at desiringGod.org. He’s the author of Not Yet Married: The Pursuit of Joy in Singleness & Dating. He graduated from Bethlehem College & Seminary. He and his wife, Faye, have a son and live in Minneapolis.
God bless you!

--David

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
For me it is:

- sleep
- remembering the inner trajectory of my life
- remembering the lives of my forebears and of Bible characters like Jonah and Jeremiah and Thomas and of people of every age of history that I've read about
- remembering the universe, life forms, time, matter
- muttering Our Fathers
- more sleep
- ekeing out rations
- sometimes, finding interesting threads here - thank you!

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums