• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured What Have You Done to Deserve Salvation?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by jimmyjimmy, Jul 29, 2017.

1. brinny

brinny everlovin' shiner of light in dark places Supporter

+104,745
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Now this is difficult to explain, but that is exactly what it is.

2. EmSw

EmSw White Horse Rider

+708
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    :amen:

3. Traveling teacher

Traveling teacher Well-Known Member

+494
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Nothing to deserve salvation
    Everything including Obedience to His word to show Christ that I love Him and His fathers words

4. Wordkeeper

Wordkeeper Newbie

+460
    Christian
    Married
    Repent, meta noia, change mind, born again.

5. -V-

-V- Well-Known Member

+495
    Non-Denom
    Single
    If we listen to the Calvinists, it's because God elected me and forced me to accept Him, while God refused to let them accept Him and forced them to remain damned.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Wordkeeper

Wordkeeper Newbie

+460
    Christian
    Married
    They forgot the great works God did to get them out of the grasp of Egypt. I didn't.

Psalm 78:11
    They forgot His deeds And His miracles that He had shown them.

7. Haipule

Haipule Well-Known Member

+424
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    What I always wanted to know is, if you are allergic to cats: then why do you eat cats!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  8. Haipule

+424
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    NO SIR! Rather, SUPERIOR love! I have met downs kids with God's superior love and they are a blessing!

I have met people with an IQ north of 200 and because they do not share in God's love, they are nothing!

9. JohnRabbit

JohnRabbit just trying to understand Supporter

+265
    Non-Denom
    Single
    2 Corinthians 10:12(NKJV)
    For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

:oldthumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Friend-of-Jesus

Friend-of-Jesus Well-Known Member

+470
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    I guess I was born in a country were everybody is free to profess any religion they like. And I happened to accept Christianity because I was surrounded by Christians. Pure luck! If I were born in the jungles of India or in the deserts of Arabia, I would most certainly be a Hindu or a Muslim. Chance chance chance.

11. derpytia

derpytia Compassion. Supporter

+1,138
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    Anything that I do that could even be considered remotely deserving of salvation is surely canceled out by all the sins I've committed in my lifetime. Therefore, without Christ's love and the Holy Spirit working within me, I have never been and will never be worthy.

Thank goodness I can rely on Christ.

12. Jennifer Rothnie

Jennifer Rothnie Well-Known Member

+304
    Christian
    Married
    The title of this thread is wrong. We don't 'deserve' salvation any more than anyone else. Salvation is offered to all people, and has nothing to do with our own worth or merit.

Rather, God in His grace has allowed anyone to be saved if they respond to the gospel in faith. The response in faith is the difference between someone becoming a Christian or remaining an unbeliever.

The reason God made faith the litmus test, vs. personal merit or dead works of righteousness, is so that no man could boast. What does it mean in Rom 3:27 that boasting is excluded because of the law that requires faith?

Since faith is in every way contrary with boasting, it could be said that one difference between believers and unbelievers is humility/recognition of one's standing before God, vs. pride of self.

Based on the title of the thread, since no Christian believes we 'deserve' salvation - it was Christ's work and not our own merit, I would hazard the guess that the OP is trying to bait people with the strawman argument of Spurgeon's facetious 'Arminian prayer,' where he imagines an Arminian sending up a boastful prayer to God:

"...Thou givest grace to everybody; some do not improve it, but I do. There are many that will go to hell as much bought with the blood of Christ as I was; they had as much of the Holy Ghost given to them; they had as good a chance, and were as much blessed as I am. It was not thy grace that made us to differ; I know it did a great deal, still I turned the point; I made use of what was given me, and others did not-that is the difference between me and them."

Of course, scripture is abundantly clear that responding to the gospel in faith is not a dead work of man. It's the 'work God requires.' Spurgeon's straw man argument seems like a great 'trap' for non-Calvinists at first glance, but doesn't fit with how Scripture portrays faith as contrary to boasting in every way.

13. EmSw

EmSw White Horse Rider

+708
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I know, especially after the doctor says to get rid of the cats, or boil them in vinegar first.

14. Haipule

+424
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I personally love all God's creatures: you know...right next to the mashed potatoes! I especially love the Green Sea Turtle: you know...sautéed in sherry with butter and garlic, a little salt with just a pinch of black pepper! I recently read a book on Manatees: I was so disappointed...not a single recipe!

15. I'm_Sorry

I'm_Sorry Taking a break from CF Supporter

+1,146
    Australia
    Christian
    Widowed
    Happy Birthday Sister :)

16. jimmyjimmy

jimmyjimmy Pardoned Rebel Supporter

+5,441
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Are you going back on your original post?

17. jimmyjimmy

+5,441
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    So, the God of the universe left this up to chance, is that right? Jesus died for a crap shoot, in other words.

18. EmSw

EmSw White Horse Rider

+708
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Oh no, not my precious, gentle, and graceful manatees! Remember they don't have scales.

19. EmSw

EmSw White Horse Rider

+708
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Much like your predestined destination. There's a chance you make heaven and a chance you don't.

20. jimmyjimmy

+5,441
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    He didn't leave a thing to "chance". "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out."