What Have You Done to Deserve Salvation?

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Since the gospel is news, faith is nothing more than believing the news. It feels like a natural response to hearing the news.

Then is it worldly thinking (indoctrination) that gets Faith confused with choice?

Faith being the necessary gift to bring the elect to Himself by the gospel of His Son's sacrifice for the remission of sin to eternal life in Him.

Also,

What is will?

Jesus said "not my will" Luke 22:42

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟838,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"What have you done to deserve salvation" and "What makes you a Christian" are two different questions.

What have I done to deserve salvation? Not a darn thing. It's all Him.
What makes me a Christian? I trust in Him for my salvation.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Contrasting your life with someone's who is not a Christian, what is different about you in your actions, thoughts or desires, etc., that makes you a Christian while they are not?

Why you and not them?

Not a single solitary thing. It is by God's grace alone, by faith alone, in Jesus Christ alone that I follow Jesus Christ. I was dead in my sins and trespasses against Him and He made me a new creation. It is His sovereign election that has saved me and adopted me as His own.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
"What have you done to deserve salvation" and "What makes you a Christian" are two different questions.

What have I done to deserve salvation? Not a darn thing. It's all Him.
What makes me a Christian? I trust in Him for my salvation.

Answering the OP, you, "trust in Him for my salvation", while others don't. Is that correct?

Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Contrasting your life with someone's who is not a Christian, what is different about you in your actions, thoughts or desires, etc., that makes you a Christian while they are not? Why you and not them?

I don't deserve salvation. No one deserves salvation.

The only thing that I deserve is eternal separation from God and eternal torment in Hell.

It is by God's grace and mercy that I have eternal life through Jesus Christ.
Saved by Grace.jpg

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Contrasting your life with someone's who is not a Christian, what is different about you in your actions, thoughts or desires, etc., that makes you a Christian while they are not?

Why you and not them?
There is nothing I can do to deserve salvation. Because I love my Lord, I share the Gospel whenever I can.

Upvote 0

Stancet

May 20, 2016
Tennessee
✟22,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
G.K. Chesterton was once asked by a magazine editor what he believed to be the problem with the world in his day. Bear in mind, this was a godly Christian man whose written works converted C.S. Lewis from an Atheist into a Christian. But the answer G.K. Chesterton gave to this magazine is the same for me and for everyone, whether you are a Christian or not.

"What is wrong with the world?"

Answer: "I am"

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have done absolutely nothing to deserve salvation. It is God's gracious gift to me through Jesus Christ.

Not much these days... I trust in Jesus alone for my salvation, not trying to earn it by what I do. Everything I do in obedience to the LORD I do in thankful response to what He has already done for me.

Why you and not them?

Because when God extended the grace for me to believe, I received it instead of rejecting it. For many, they have never even heard the gospel preached accurately.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
G.K. Chesterton was once asked by a magazine editor what he believed to be the problem with the world in his day. Bear in mind, this was a godly Christian man whose written works converted C.S. Lewis from an Atheist into a Christian. But the answer G.K. Chesterton gave to this magazine is the same for me and for everyone, whether you are a Christian or not.

"What is wrong with the world?"

Answer: "I am"

I love that quote; however, how does it relate to the OP?

Upvote 0

Praise and Thanksgiving

Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2016
MA
✟408,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Constitution
Not one thing have I done to deserve salvation.

However now I am saved through Faith, the Power of the Holy Spirit conforms me to be more like Christ Jesus.

I'm a new creation, purchased by the blood of Christ Jesus.

He is my master, I am His slave.
I agree wholeheartedly. I did nothing, I heard the Master's call, but I take no credit for that, either. Baa...
The non Christian is either unable to hear the Shepard's voice, or denies the call.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟322,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It appears that I've 'taken the bait'. While I can turn away at any time, I haven't done so yet in any serious or persistent way, but have followed God and His ways and striven to obey Him- and overall have continued to grow closer to Him in faith, hope, and love.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interesting, it seems again we have an answer in which it's intelligence which is the deciding factor.

Apparently minimal inelegance (that of a first-grader) is enough; therefore all non-Christians are dumber than a first-grader.

Would you say that in an effort to evangelize, we focus on educating people and honing their intellects, so that they will choose to become Christians?

Since you question my scenario, I'll ask this.

If you got indigestion from eating onions, and went to a physician, what would he tell you?

And what do you think the Great Physician would tell someone who receives condemnation from sinning? No need to wonder about this; Jesus gave us the answer.

Luke 5
31 Jesus answered and said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 32 I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.

The answer is repentance. If anyone is a sinner, and is called, he is called to repentance. If repentance is not for one, then his righteousness will be enough so he does not need a physician.

Now let's look at some passages which tell us about repentance and sin.

1 Kings 8:47
yet when they come to themselves in the land where they were carried captive, and repent, and make supplication to You in the land of those who took them captive, saying, ‘We have sinned and done wrong, we have committed wickedness’;

Ezekiel 18
30 “Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways,” says the Lord God. “Repent, and turn from all your transgressions, so that iniquity will not be your ruin.
31 Cast away from you all the transgressions which you have committed, and get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit. For why should you die, O house of Israel?

Mark 1:4
John came baptizing in the wilderness and preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Luke 15:10
Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.

Luke 17:3
Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.

Luke 24:47
and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Acts 3:19
Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord,

Some say we are forgiven all our sins and have not need to repent. Maybe this is why the book of Revelation is not read, nor believed. This book is written to the believers in churches, not unbelievers, to the sheep, not goats, to the elect, not those who aren't elect.

Revelation 2:5
Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent.

Revelation 2:16
Repent, or else I will come to you quickly and will fight against them with the sword of My mouth.

Revelation 2:21
And I gave her time to repent of her sexual immorality, and she did not repent.

Revelation 2:22
Indeed I will cast her into a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of their deeds.
Revelation 3:3
Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.

Revelation 3:19

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.

So jimmy, you ask, 'what is different about you in your actions, thoughts or desires, etc., that makes you a Christian while they are not?' There's your answer - repentance and ridding ourselves of sin.

Upvote 0

Stancet

May 20, 2016
Tennessee
✟22,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I love that quote; however, how does it relate to the OP?

As Christians we mustn't pretend we are better than ordinary people. The sanctifying work of Jesus in the believer's life is what makes us better because apart from Him we can do nothing to please God.

That's my answer to your question, I suppose.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
As Christians we mustn't pretend we are better than ordinary people. The sanctifying work of Jesus in the believer's life is what makes us better because apart from Him we can do nothing to please God.

That's my answer to your question, I suppose.

Thanks. Now I get it, and I fully agree with you on that.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
title Q: not a doggon' thang'

thread Q: the LORD did it...Ezekiel 36:26-28

And how does the Lord give you a new heart? Since you quoted Ezekiel, let's stay with him and see what else he says.

Ezekiel 18:31
Cast away from you all the transgressions which you have committed, and get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit. For why should you die, O house of Israel?

Are you going to believe only part of Ezekiel, or all of it?

Upvote 0