What Have You Done to Deserve Salvation?

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Contrasting your life with someone's who is not a Christian, what is different about you in your actions, thoughts or desires, etc., that makes you a Christian while they are not?

Why you and not them?

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Contrasting your life with someone's who is not a Christian, what is different about you in your actions, thoughts or desires, etc., that makes you a Christian while they are not?

Why you and not them?

I press towards the mark, for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I press towards the mark, for the prize of the high calling of God in Jesus Christ.

What does that mean? How did you come to understand what that means? Was there a time when you didn't do that?

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Not one thing have I done to deserve salvation.

However now I am saved through Faith, the Power of the Holy Spirit conforms me to be more like Christ Jesus.

I'm a new creation, purchased by the blood of Christ Jesus.

He is my master, I am His slave.

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Why you and not them?
God set before me life and death. At a very early age I chose life because choosing death is stupid. So I followed life who is Jesus my Shepherd through thick and thin, through much and nothing. He delivered me to and from trials. He was always training me.

Then one day I got pushed through the narrow gate as naked as a camel and found myself living in the kingdom of heaven as a begotten from above son of God with all it's privileges and honor, as well as responsibilities.

Ever since then, and maybe before, I have been very weird and completely different then the walking dead.

Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nothing, God just likes me for reasons that I don't know. :p

But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord. (Genesis 6:8)
She gave birth to a son, and they named him Solomon. The Lord loved him (2 Samuel 12:24)

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
God set before me life and death. At a very early age I chose life because choosing death is stupid.

So, in answering the OP, you were smarter than those who are not Christians. Some people are "stupid" while you were smart.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,885.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't deserve salvation, neither can I merit it. The only thing I am worthy of is damnation. It is by God's grace and mercy that am I found in Christ, through faith and baptism into the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit; all of which I am given.

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, in answering the OP, you were smarter than those who are not Christians. Some people are "stupid" while you were smart.
I merely established the fact that I chose life. Truly, given such a choice is not much of a choice considering that the only other choice is death! So for ME choosing death would be stupid. That does not make me smarter. It make me logical.

What does make me smarter, jimmyjimmy, is my way off the charts IQ! God is just sooo gracious to me--his son. People always ask me, "why does God bless you soo much?" You know what jimmyjimmy, I asked God the same question and He said, "Bill, it's just that you remind me soo much of my Son!" Well, I must be doing something right then! Dude! I'm like Mr. Christlike! So I wrote a song:

God loves you, but not as much as He loves me. God loves me, mooore than you!

Ask a silly condescending question...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Why you and not them?

The title and question don't seem to relate.

The title:
What have any us done to deserve salvation?
Surely the answer is none of us do deserve it! But we hope by God's grace for salvation none the less!

The post:
What makes us Christian , and therefore different , is accepting Jesus as Lord and hoping in him.

It begs the question - Do any of us merit salvation? Surely not.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Everyone can ignore the above post; nothing to read there. A straw man was inserted there so he could punch it in the face multiple times.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Why you and not them?

If a man eats onions everyday, and gets terrible indigestion, what would be his remedy?

If a man sins against God every day, and gets condemnation, what would be his remedy?

Even a first grader would tell the man who eats onions to stop eating onions.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Truly, given such a choice is not much of a choice considering that the only other choice is death!

If this is such an obviously easy choice, why isn't everyone a Christian?

So for ME choosing death would be stupid.

For You??? Wouldn't it be stupid for anyone?

That does not make me smarter. It make me logical.

I'm trying to get a focused answer to the OP, so I'll take your answer to be: You were more logical than someone who isn't a Christian. Is that accurate?

My followup would be, is this the case across the board? Can we say that in order to become a Christian, you must have superior logic? Or, framing it another way, do all non-Christians have inferior logic?

Reactions: JoeP222w
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The title and question don't seem to relate.

The title:
What have any us done to deserve salvation?
Surely the answer is none of us do deserve it! But we hope by God's grace for salvation none the less!

The post:
What makes us Christian , and therefore different , is accepting Jesus as Lord and hoping in him.

It begs the question - Do any of us merit salvation? Surely not.

Thanks for carefully reading both the title and the OP. People rarely do.

Reactions: Mountainmike
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If a man eats onions everyday, and gets terrible indigestion, what would be his remedy?

If a man sins against God every day, and gets condemnation, what would be his remedy?

Even a first grader would tell the man who eats onions to stop eating onions.

Interesting, it seems again we have an answer in which it's intelligence which is the deciding factor.

Apparently minimal inelegance (that of a first-grader) is enough; therefore all non-Christians are dumber than a first-grader.

Would you say that in an effort to evangelize, we focus on educating people and honing their intellects, so that they will choose to become Christians?

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If this is such an obviously easy choice, why isn't everyone a Christian?

For You??? Wouldn't it be stupid for anyone?

I'm trying to get a focused answer to the OP, so I'll take your answer to be: You were more logical than someone who isn't a Christian. Is that accurate?

My followup would be, is this the case across the board? Can we say that in order to become a Christian, you must have superior logic? Or, framing it another way, do all non-Christians have inferior logic?

Jimmy, does the common use pottery ask God why they are made that way from the foundation of the earth?

Do they even know or is their heart left to be in and of the world and blinded to the Truth? (double predestination)

The special use pottery is being chosen (elect) from birth and is called to salvation.

Having God's choice over you as an elect from the foundations of the earth will feel like a choice of life (Christ Jesus, self denial) and death (self affirmation, rebellion, satan) when called to Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Does Faith feel like a choice when the gospel of Christ Jesus is heard?

Since the gospel is news, faith is nothing more than believing the news. It feels like a natural response to hearing the news.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Why you and not them?

I’m lazy and just could not go on fighting God, so I wimped out, gave up and surrendered to Him, while others are more macho, hang in there, are willing to pay the piper and are just not willing to humble themselves to the point of accepting pure sacrificial charity (they have pride [even if it is a false pride]).

Most people today will do almost anything to avoid having to accept sacrificial pure charity from others and really do not like the idea of unconditional undeserved charity available for everyone: so they do not believe: 1. they have a huge debt created by sin, 2. God would Love humans enough to be that generous, or 3. the big one being: there is really nothing for they can do like accepting God’s charity, so they do not do it or believe they did it, but somehow it happened without them having to humble accept it. Forgiveness is a transaction as shown in Matt. 18:21-36.

Upvote 0