Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"The letter kills but the spirit gives life"

I often think about that saying when I consider the discord and contention of debate. So I'm meditating on what that saying means. The spirit is joy, peace, love, gentleness, meekness, righteousness, truth. So in a way theology seems like the letter, but the spirit seems much better. The spirit is joy and peace. The apostle Paul said to think about what is lovely and praiseworthy. Joy and peace are lovely. Theology however is complicated contention. I prefer to think of Christ in a simplistic way. I know right from wrong, and all that's left after that is love, faith, and hope, and love is greatest of the three.

Matthew 11:28-29New King James Version (NKJV)
28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Proverbs 1:20
Wisdom calls aloud outside;
She raises her voice in the open squares.
Turn at my rebuke;
Surely I will pour out my spirit on you;

Last edited:
Reactions: lancey
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing;
Therefore get wisdom.
And in all your getting, get understanding.
Exalt her, and she will promote you;
She will bring you honor, when you embrace her.
She will place on your head an ornament of grace;
A crown of glory she will deliver to you.”

The perfect day:

Proverbs 4:18 But the path of the just is like the shining sun,[a]
That shines ever brighter unto the perfect day.

1 Corinthians 13:9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's a variety of components to theology, such as the study of God, the study of men's thoughts about God (which is usually taught unwisely), that which people use to define doctrine (e.g., to define Christianity as well as denominations), and there's probably others.

Nor are you to be called ‘teacher,’ for you have one Teacher, the Christ. (Matthew 23:10, 1984 NIV)

The Lord has used all of those things to help me to know about him and what stuff is not about him. He has also used them to reveal what I and other humans are like to me.

It has all "helped" me think I know God, when in fact, it was just knowing about God with more confidence. None of them actually helped me know God the living being/person. Knowing God has only happened through the Holy Spirit revealing himself or connecting, in my heart, things I know about God with specific experiences I've had.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

sculleywr

Orthodox Colitis Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Simple question.
Theology, the study of Who God is, what God does, and how we are to respond to God, is literally EVERYTHING that we believe. The only people who do not have a theology are those who do not know if God exists, because you cannot have a belief about something you don't know about.

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
There's a variety of components to theology, such as the study of God, the study of men's thoughts about God (which is usually taught unwisely), that which people use to define doctrine (e.g., to define Christianity as well as denominations), and there's probably others.

Nor are you to be called ‘teacher,’ for you have one Teacher, the Christ. (Matthew 23:10, 1984 NIV)

The Lord has used all of those things to help me to know about him and what stuff is not about him. He has also used them to reveal what I and other humans are like to me.

It has all "helped" me think I know God, when in fact, it was just knowing about God with more confidence. None of them actually helped me know God the living being/person. Knowing God has only happened through the Holy Spirit revealing himself or connecting, in my heart, things I know about God with specific experiences I've had.
Since Paul says God calls some to be teachers, how does that work alongside Matthew 23:10? How does one make that verse, where God call teachers, agree with the idea that we should not be called teachers?

Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
"The letter kills but the spirit gives life"

I often think about that saying when I consider the discord and contention of debate. So I'm meditating on what that saying means. The spirit is joy, peace, love, gentleness, meekness, righteousness, truth. So in a way theology seems like the letter, but the spirit seems much better. The spirit is joy and peace. The apostle Paul said to think about what is lovely and praiseworthy. Joy and peace are lovely. Theology however is complicated contention. I prefer to think of Christ in a simplistic way. I know right from wrong, and all that's left after that is love, faith, and hope, and love is greatest of the three.

Matthew 11:28-29New King James Version (NKJV)
28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Proverbs 1:20
Wisdom calls aloud outside;
She raises her voice in the open squares.
Turn at my rebuke;
Surely I will pour out my spirit on you;
Only those who do not know what theology is call it complicated contention. Doctrine is important. What you believe effects how you worship, and how you worship effects how you live.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Yes amen. Experience is key. Experience through trial and tribulation. I find that in the end, in all my study of scripture, that it has taught me that a relationship with God is far simpler that theology would first have us believe.

Reactions: FanthatSpark
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How to ask the right questions of the Holy Spirit, and how to formulate answers in words for others.

Thank you for your reply. I have struggled with answers to, and still do. I have found that we cannot answer everything for some people because only spiritual people have ears to hear, because things of the spirit are discerned by the spirit.

Reactions: FanthatSpark
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Theology, the study of Who God is, what God does, and how we are to respond to God, is literally EVERYTHING that we believe. The only people who do not have a theology are those who do not know if God exists, because you cannot have a belief about something you don't know about.

Theology to me often seems like it misses the point, not always, but often. If something divides brethren then it should be evaluated, whether it has value, because division is not obedience, nor is it spiritual.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Only those who do not know what theology is call it complicated contention. Doctrine is important. What you believe effects how you worship, and how you worship effects how you live.

Look at all the many denominations. Surely that is not good. Please don't preach EO is the "true church" here brother, I would like to stay away from that debate

Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Since Paul says God calls some to be teachers, how does that work alongside Matthew 23:10? How does one make that verse, where God call teachers, agree with the idea that we should not be called teachers?
We can hear all about spiritual truths through listening or reading, but without God's grace (in this context, a work of the Holy Spirit) none of it can "click."
Doctrine can be important, especially for those that have to deal with more than a few other people. The "problem" with doctrine is only when it is incorrect or it transcends Jesus' way of handling things—historically a source of a lot of spiritual abuse.

Upvote 0

jeager016

Feb 8, 2015
Retired police/retired engineer
✟9,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
What has theology taught you?
That there are at least 33,000 denominations of Christians all reading the same book.
That if one wants to understand the Bible one must study it ALL and not draw conclusions
from a few verses.
"Spare the rod and spoil the child" does not mean to hit children.
Duh!
Pass a basket of rattle snakes to demonstrate faith anyone?
Some Pentecostals do that.
Westboro Baptists preach hate. [Staff edit]
"an eye for an eye" does not mean to seek revenge.
To truly grasp the theme of the Bible the entire book must be STUDIED.
Could most people here read a college physics book and understand physics?

33,000 denominations of Christians all reading the same book.

End of rant.:preach:

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

jeager016

Feb 8, 2015
Retired police/retired engineer
✟9,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
As an aside to my rant above.
I'm a participant in Alcoholics Anonymous.
We all read the SAME book.
"Alcoholics Anonymous"

There are NO denominations of Alcoholics Anonymous.
Recovery is spelled out very nicely in just 12 steps.
It works.
A.A. works.
People fail.
The Bible works.
People fail.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What has theology taught you?
That there are at least 33,000 denominations of Christians all reading the same book.
That if one wants to understand the Bible one must study it ALL and not draw conclusions
from a few verses.
"Spare the rod and spoil the child" does not mean to hit children.
Duh!
Pass a basket of rattle snakes to demonstrate faith anyone?
Some Pentecostals do that.
Westboro Baptists preach hate. "God hates [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]." Really?
"an eye for an eye" does not mean to seek revenge.
To truly grasp the theme of the Bible the entire book must be STUDIED.
Could most people here read a college physics book and understand physics?

33,000 denominations of Christians all reading the same book.

End of rant.:preach:

What say you about simplicity brother? Does the Lord not reveal himself to humble children?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As an aside to my rant above.
I'm a participant in Alcoholics Anonymous.
We all read the SAME book.
"Alcoholics Anonymous"

There are NO denominations of Alcoholics Anonymous.
Recovery is spelled out very nicely in just 12 steps.
It works.
A.A. works.
People fail.
The Bible works.
People fail.

I love simplicity. Its simple yet so joyful and filling. I am grateful for the Lord who is gentle and lowly in heart, and who gives rest to the weary.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's taught me that people think way too much.

Yes, that's in agreement with what it has taught me as well. Theology often overthinks instead of enjoying the joy of simplicity. I believe simplicity is inline with liberty and a gift from God. Not only is it liberty from too many rules, but simplicity also frees us from the snare of discord.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.