Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It's all cleared up now. The secret machinations of CF are determined to protect us from ourselves in pursuit of a false uptopia.

Let us pray for the ecumenical elite that must bear this heavy burden on our behalf.

:bow:

Upvote 0

heart of peace

Aug 12, 2015
✟10,802.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hmm...does anyone on the admin team get paid to do what they do? If not, it certainly seems like this "elite group" takes their positions as seriously as a job.

I worry about those who take the internet so seriously.

The internet is supposed to be a place for people to have a reprieve of some sort from living such a PC life offline due to the culture we live in. Unfortunately, because so many people take it to the extreme level, it is losing its appeal as a place to chill out and unwind. I do not feel at all comfortable getting personal here in TAW based on all this censorship. I wonder if there are other new posters who feel the same way.

Reactions: icedtea
Upvote 0

Hoankan

TAW Samurai
Feb 14, 2007
Gifu, Japan
✟28,136.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What I find especially creepy is that all reference to the thread is erased - it would be much more reassuring to see the references in links (own posts, control panel, rep links) saying "removed" or whatever. This 'without a trace' thing is unnerving.
It might be unnerving but if the system was set up to let everybody see the deleted threads and their names then you might see one advertising inappropriate contentography that got deleted. No matter how nice that idea is, it would drag up things that really should be left unseen.

Upvote 0

Breaking Babylon

Who is this King of glory?
Site Supporter
Jan 1, 2006
West Virginia
✟58,374.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
A little regulation keeps things going smooth. Honestly, I'm an easy person to get along with, and grouping me in some holier-than-thou elitist category is rawly offensive. This is a thankless job and I signed on just so I can try to help.

Thanks.

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0

ThePosterFormerlyKnownAs

forgivensinner001/Dust and Ashes/Slambo
Jun 19, 2006
✟8,713.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, just out of curiosity, what constitutes an off topic thread? Does this mean I can't start a thread to discuss my new Widget and what all it does or are there specific criteria that determine "off topic" and that term is used to include various types of threads that might be offensive?

Upvote 0

SeekingTheLight

Handmaiden of God Josephine
Aug 16, 2007
Bellville, Texas
✟15,632.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, just out of curiosity, what constitutes an off topic thread? Does this mean I can't start a thread to discuss my new Widget and what all it does or are there specific criteria that determine "off topic" and that term is used to include various types of threads that might be offensive?
You know, I've been wondering the same thing.

Upvote 0

Hoankan

TAW Samurai
Feb 14, 2007
Gifu, Japan
✟28,136.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is in the TAW guidelines

• Active promotion of views contrary to the established teachings of canonical Orthodox Churches are considered off topic. This includes schismatic or Old Believer teachings.
  • TAW is a place for people to ask questions, fellowship and general discussion.
  • The debate sub-forum: St. Justin-Martyr's Cornerhouses political debates, discussions about other faiths in comparison to the Orthodox faith, and any other kind of heavy debate.
  • The main forum area of TAW is for non-EO to ask questions, discussion of EO beliefs, prayer requests, fellowship threads (even nonreligious), current (nonpolitical) events, and light debate about EO beliefs including minor disagreements between members on theological issues is allowed.

So for example talking about your new widget would be fellowship. Now if you want to hotly debate whether your new widget is better than everybody else's widgets, then that would be in the debate forum. Note, I say hotly because light debate is fine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LogosRhema

Awake
Oct 22, 2007
Fort Wayne
✟10,022.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Yea threads have begun to mysteriously disappear or be closed. Even though no argument, flaw, or anything was admitted. I've seen topics that were completely open discussion just be closed... sounds like the government censorship on religion... but the government has no control on whats going on here... I'd hope.

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
IMO most threads that got zapped do fall into those categories... We need more concrete evidence .... Hoankan

What kinds of discussions are inappropriate in your fellowship hall?

Now, imagine that there were a dozen of those conversations happening at the same time.

This is as concrete as I will get. I have told you repeatedly that things are confidential. I thought you understood what that meant.

When people are corrected for doing something it is none of anyone else's business. If we start discussing things openly it becomes gossip and I am not interested in gossip.

Reactions: icedtea
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If we start discussing things openly it becomes gossip and I am not interested in gossip.

Actually, discussing things openly is the opposite of gossip. I am not saying that mods have to reveal details in every situation. But do realize that the more secretive and paternalistic you guys are, the more those who are not "in the know" will talk and speculate.

M.

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What kinds of discussions are inappropriate in your fellowship hall?

Now, imagine that there were a dozen of those conversations happening at the same time.

This is as concrete as I will get. I have told you repeatedly that things are confidential. I thought you understood what that meant.

When people are corrected for doing something it is none of anyone else's business. If we start discussing things openly it becomes gossip and I am not interested in gossip.
Well, you have generally replied to any person that they don't have to participate. Don't participate...

There is clearly some discussion to be had and having it by PM makes no difference in the open forum. I completely agree with Monica on this one. Never thought I'd say it but there was some good things with Foru.ms....
Clearly this is no longer a place where we can love everyone Orthodox or those interested in our faith (I'm excluding clear violations like posting inappropriate content etc). We do not support the weak anymore nor do we forgive them for what missteps they make, we just kick them to the curb. Woohoo, TAW has become Protestant!
And no, per your normal comment, I don't have to be here. But there are some people I do care about here (when they are allowed to enter the holy sanctuary of TAW) and want to keep in touch with. I find myself checking TAW the last each day, instead of first like it used to be. It's not a friendly place anymore, it's more like communist Cuba or something...

Reactions: SaintMarina
Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
Good morning folks,

Don't be too hard on the folks...some of the decisions to move threads were made over their (vociferous) objections...in one of the cases by me. In the case of the thread that I moved it had nothing to do with theology, Orthodoxy and the like but rather some personal issues.

For those issues I take the blame as they could have been handled somewhat better from my end, I think.

No, we do not get paid.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We need more concrete evidence

Good morning folks,

Don't be too hard on the folks...some of the decisions to move threads were made over their (vociferous) objections...in one of the cases by me. In the case of the thread that I moved it had nothing to do with theology, Orthodoxy and the like but rather some personal issues.

For those issues I take the blame as they could have been handled somewhat better from my end, I think.

No, we do not get paid.

Hey guys,

Akathist you missinterpret my saying "concrete evidence" I was not talking about disclosing confidential information.... I was talking about the "WAY" you close threads... i.e.

Am I allowed to talk about my cat? or my dog? in the threads if I want to? or do I have to be "rigid" and "controlled" and try not to go off topic ... since it will be zapped? There was a recent thread about (just an example) about how God had blessed someone with more children.... Is that thread "offensive" what are the standards then? and further why these threads instead of being zapped moved to the debate area?

Mr. Tonks....

We have to be open to a degree ....my thinking goes that the poster or op had problems with personal issues.... ok then I am sure that in cases like these confidentiality is important but still a communication with the forum members would be appreciated... I know we should not be filled with details but ....is it better to deal with suspicion??

You could announce that action was taken since there was a serious personal matter... that is taking place to one of the members... that simple not need to create more intrigue in this forum.

Also explain the extend of the "limits" that posters have in this forum... Zapping threads without explanation would always create questions and reactions. You as mods are sitting on "hot coals".... and it you should expect that you will be questioned... on your actions.... either you want it or not. Poeple in authority do have this responsibilty to communicate that authority and explain it. Still prayers to you. May the Lord keep you and help you in your difficult task and shine his light on you so you lead in love and humility.

Philothei

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Okay then why all kind of innapropriate topics are discussed in the teen section??? I do not see anything been zapped there.... Give us examples of "innapropriate" topics..... That sounds so subjective....

What constitutes "inappropriate" you guys?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.