What happens when Christian dialogue ignores the Creed?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,653,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
*You are in the Catholic forum*

Soon to be Saint Blessed Cardinal John Henry Newman once commented that "true development occurs when Christianity is able to assimilate the surrounding environment, informing and changing its culture, whereas corruption happens when its instead the environment that assimilates Christianity to itself." A central premise of this statement is the idea that genuine dialogue is based on revealed truth and not an inquiry to truth...

Continued below.
What happens when Christian dialogue ignores the Creed? | Knowing Is Doing

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
*You are in the Catholic forum*

Soon to be Saint Blessed Cardinal John Henry Newman once commented that "true development occurs when Christianity is able to assimilate the surrounding environment, informing and changing its culture, whereas corruption happens when its instead the environment that assimilates Christianity to itself." A central premise of this statement is the idea that genuine dialogue is based on revealed truth and not an inquiry to truth...

Continued below.
What happens when Christian dialogue ignores the Creed? | Knowing Is Doing
I remember the speech pope Francis gave to the US Congress. He spoke of many things but one of them was not Jesus. Read the Speech Pope Francis Gave to Congress

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,653,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You 2 made me curious to found out if that representation was true in essence (instead of only a technicality that gave a wrong impression), and just skimming and reading I noticed:

"...the figure of Moses leads us directly to God and thus to the transcendent dignity of the human being. Moses provides us with a good synthesis of your work: you are asked to protect, by means of the law, the image and likeness fashioned by God on every human face.
In these times when social concerns are so important, I cannot fail to mention the Servant of God Dorothy Day, who founded the Catholic Worker Movement. Her social activism, her passion for justice and for the cause of the oppressed, were inspired by the Gospel, her faith, and the example of the saints.
A century ago, at the beginning of the Great War, which Pope Benedict XV termed a “pointless slaughter”, another notable American was born: the Cistercian monk Thomas Merton. He remains a source of spiritual inspiration and a guide for many people. In his autobiography he wrote: “I came into the world. Free by nature, in the image of God, I was nevertheless the prisoner of my own violence and my own selfishness, in the image of the world into which I was born. That world was the picture of Hell, full of men like myself, loving God, and yet hating him; born to love him, living instead in fear of hopeless self-contradictory hungers”. Merton was above all a man of prayer, a thinker who challenged the certitudes of his time and opened new horizons for souls and for the Church. ...

-------

I think if you got that idea the speech wasn't good from some 3rd party source, like some commentator, this shows that the commentator was being somewhat misleading, or perhaps even might have been disingenuous. But on the whole, that's better, right? You'd rather the commentator was wrong, and here we can see they were wrong in essence.

I remember the speech pope Francis gave to the US Congress. He spoke of many things but one of them was not Jesus. Read the Speech Pope Francis Gave to Congress
I remember that.
@Gracia Singh

Upvote 0