Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Constitution is pretty clear on how this plays out. If there is no winner in the Electoral College, Article 2, Section 1, Clause 3 states that the decision goes to the House of Representatives while the Senate picks the vice president. But the voting in the House is different from the Senate.

In the vote for vice president, each Senator has one vote. But in the House each state has only one vote for president—regardless of its size—and a presidential candidate needs 26 states to win. Voting for president is set up in the Constitution so that in every situation, vote is by state rather than by a popular vote (the Founding Fathers were wary of pure popular voting).

If the presidential race should end up in the House the outcome would depend on which party controls the state’s delegation. As it stands Republicans are in the majority, with control of 26 state delegations. Democrats control 23 state delegations and one state, Pennsylvania, has a tied delegation: 9 Democrats and 9 Republicans.

But the Congress is sworn in before the Electoral College votes are read out in the Senate. In the case of a tie it will be the next Congress not the current Congress that votes on the presidency, and a handful of 2020 congressional elections could decide the presidential election.

That's why every election matters.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Looking at the electoral college numbers for the undeclared states, a tie is theoretically possible. Am I right to think that the House of Representatives then chooses?

In that case they must fight it out as a Trial by Combat! I believe the Smithsonian will supply them with some kind of vintage pair of sabers or cutlasses so they can do that pirate style.

Upvote 0

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟113,699.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In that case they must fight it out as a Trial by Combat! I believe the Smithsonian will supply them with some kind of vintage pair of sabers or cutlasses so they can do that pirate style.
Funnily enough I've been thinking of the end of the film The Big Country - except burly Burl Ives seems politically more like Biden and the thinner richer Charles Bickford seems more politically like Trump - but their physical builds are the reverse of expectation. Not that I'm actually advocating a shoot out.

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks RDKirk - that was helpful.

Is the voter turnout different for the Presidency/Senate/House? This is a strong argument that everyone should vote in all the elections even though it's a lot at one time.

Elections for House representatives come up every two years. Many people, particularly Democrats, ignore those "mid-cycle" elections. But they're also critical.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Looking at the electoral college numbers for the undeclared states, a tie is theoretically possible. Am I right to think that the House of Representatives then chooses?
Same as in Baseball, tie goes to the runner. The runner is the offense, the pitching/fielding team is the defense, so that means it would go to Biden since he is on offense and Trump is on defense.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think -- my guess -- is that judges won't go along with attempts to override the U.S. Constitution specifying that each state -- Pennsylvania for example -- has authority over it's own vote and vote counting process. As in the U.S. Constitution amendments 9 through 12.

As you can see, by the Constitutional wording it's up to Pennsylvania what Pennsylvania's vote counting process is, and not up to any other parties except solely Pennsylvania alone.

Now, possibly attempts to override this Constitutional authority of states might succeed....but I'm hopeful that such attempts won't succeed, and the Constitution would be preserved in its clear intent.

So, I'm expecting/hoping the votes that arrived by election day to all be counted (just like in the past), and that means we have to wait for the counting, under authority of each state itself, to figure out who won.

Meanwhile, we will continue to see the true colors of each side. Look who is accusing ahead of time that the other party is trying to steal the election, while actually the accuser is the one suggesting and looking to attempt to prevent the state's vote counting from finishing by its own process and authority on its own....

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Greek wrestling match, winner takes all.

If it's wrestling then Trump takes the win... Biden is way too frail - Trump has the physical edge... lol

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it's wrestling then Trump takes the win... Biden is way too frail - Trump has the physical edge... lol
Though I know this appeals to some Americans --

It does not appeal to most Americans. Instead, they are repulsed by it.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Though I know this appeals to some Americans --

It does not appeal to most Americans. Instead, they are repulsed by it.
We weren't voting for personality, but rather, hopefully, someone who can get things done and who knows how to do it, and has the courage and perseverance to get it done.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We weren't voting for personality, but rather, hopefully, someone who can get things done and who knows how to do it, and has the courage and perseverance to get it done.
There's a tragedy -- Trump is a great salesman and talker, creating an appearance 'great' things are being done....

It's illusion. For some things even the opposite is the reality. Because of Trump many of the things people hoped will happen will turn out over time to be worse than they would have been.

• Winner
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's a tragedy -- Trump is a great salesman and talker, creating an appearance 'great' things are being done....

It's illusion. For some things even the opposite is the reality. Because of Trump many of the things people hoped will happen will turn out over time to be worse than they would have been.

Trump is not a leadership engine that gets anything done, not the way Reagan was. The bureaucracy has been robust enough to get its job done despite Trump, but the deterioration he causes is showing its effect.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟371,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Greek wrestling match, winner takes all.

Considering the pandemic (and Trump’s infection) both he and Joe should totally quarantine themselves for 2 weeks before the match. During which time they’ll get daily nasal swabs to make sure neither one is colonized with SARS-CoV-2.

But the match would be only half of the contest. Physical condition isn’t enough. The other half would be a 100-question quiz on the Constitution and American history. They can study up during their quarantine. Donald Trump especially needs this.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I’m thinking we do an 80s sitcom plot and have them both be president together for a term. Oh, the hijinks that would ensue!

Don’t miss another hilarious episode of Our Two Presidents.

Weeknights at 8 on ABC.

Upvote 0