USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. God's working in our lives is always purposeful and intentional. He doesn't do unnecessary things. Although I think you know that, so what is your actual question?
GOD wasn't concerned with Peter

He was a "found" sheep

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Meaning what? Peter was essentially the leader of the Church at that point. It makes sense to me that God would use Peter to share the gigantic message to the Jews that all food is acceptable to eat.
Exactly.

Peter was preaching CHRIST
He shouldn't just "go" where he was comfortable to go

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm not sure what you are getting at. But here is what I have learned of the book of Acts and that more or less half way point in it.The book of Acts depicts a dividing time in the bible. Peter was with Christ when He was on earth and thus was directed to the Jews. Paul comes later and is directed by Jesus in the spirit to be apostle of the Gentiles. Peter at first was fighting that but came around in due time, he needed a bit of guidance. The book of Acts is an amazing study isn't it ? It really enters us into the church age under the dispensation of Grace. And we are still in that age I might add. While I am not a dispensationalist in a pure sense, I know enough to recognize a dispensation when I see one. And I know enough that the words ( paraphrase here) This age will not end without the return of the Lord. That age spoken of is this age we are in , the Age of Grace. When that is done , we are into a whole new ball game. The Grace age is as real as the Prophetic age etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
r to share the gigantic message to the Jews that all food is acceptable to eat.
Except that was NOT what the vision was about and Peter knew that. It was about MEN being clean, not food.

28 And he said to them, “You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a man who is a Jew to associate with a foreigner or to visit him; and yet God has shown me that I should not call any man unholy or unclean.

Upvote 0

Dartman

May 23, 2017
Washington
✟27,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Meaning what? Peter was essentially the leader of the Church at that point. It makes sense to me that God would use Peter to share the gigantic message to the Jews that all food is acceptable to eat.
No, Jesus made it VERY clear, the church was NEVER to have any leader. He appointed ALL the apostles to shepherd the flock. ALL the 11 were speaking in tongues. ALL the apostles discussed, and decided for the early church in chapter 15. God made profound use of Stephen, and Philip also.
Peter was NEVER "the leader" of the church.
SPF said:
It makes sense to me that God would use Peter to share the gigantic message to the Jews that all food is acceptable to eat.
It is absolutely true that God's statements in Acts 10 makes all food acceptable to eat ...... but there is an even bigger point being illustrated by that change.
God commanded His son to instruct the apostles, all RACES are acceptable to the gospel! No longer would a gentile need to become an Israelite!! Baptism into the church is all that's required, since the entire Mosaic Law had been fulfilled, and "taken out of the way".

Upvote 0

Dartman

May 23, 2017
Washington
✟27,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except that was NOT what the vision was about and Peter knew that. It was about MEN being clean, not food.
No, the vision made it absolutely clear, God had cleansed ALL food by having His son complete the Mosaic Law, fulfilling it, "taking it out of the way". BY EXTENSION, since that law was gone, God commanded Jesus to open the church to ALL mankind.

28 And he said to them, “You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a man who is a Jew to associate with a foreigner or to visit him; and yet God has shown me that I should not call any man unholy or unclean.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Miknik, you need to make up your mind about what it is you're trying to say.

First you said to me:"Let me know when you want to discuss what really happened in Acts 10"

I then responded with an open invitation for you to share your views with me. But apparently you didn't mean what you said because then you simply told me to reread it. If you don't want to dialogue that's fine.

Both were accomplished.

No, Jesus made it VERY clear, the church was NEVER to have any leader. He appointed ALL the apostles to shepherd the flock. ALL the 11 were speaking in tongues. ALL the apostles discussed, and decided for the early church in chapter 15. God made profound use of Stephen, and Philip also.
Peter was NEVER "the leader" of the church.
As I'm not Catholic, I certainly agree with what you've said. But, as you are aware, given personality types and just how we as people operate, I don't think it's a stretch to say that Peter was seen as the leader. There is always Matthew 16:18. Peter was an instrumental figure at the center of the local church after Jesus ascended. God made profound use of many people. It wasn't my intent to take away from anyone's contribution.

It is absolutely true that God's statements in Acts 10 makes all food acceptable to eat ...... but there is an even bigger point being illustrated by that change.
God commanded His son to instruct the apostles, all RACES are acceptable to the gospel! No longer would a gentile need to become an Israelite!! Baptism into the church is all that's required, since the entire Mosaic Law had been fulfilled, and "taken out of the way".
I agree completely.

• Agree
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, the vision made it absolutely clear, God had cleansed ALL food by having His son complete the Mosaic Law, fulfilling it, "taking it out of the way". BY EXTENSION, since that law was gone, God commanded Jesus to open the church to ALL mankind.
That is a stretch, past the point of breaking. It ONLY meant what Peter said it did: "No MAN should be called unclean."

There is exactly ZERO in that context that is talking about food.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The below passages are fairly clear in their statements. We are no longer under the dietary restrictions of the Jews during the OT period.

Mark 7:14-19
And he called the people to him again and said to them, “Hear me, all of you, and understand: There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him.” And when he had entered the house and left the people, his disciples asked him about the parable. And he said to them, “Then are you also without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into a person from outside cannot defile him, since it enters not his heart but his stomach, and is expelled?” (Thus he declared all foods clean.)

I Timothy 4:1-5 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared, who forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, for it is made holy by the word of God and prayer.

Reactions: JoeP222w
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well gee golly, with in depth and well supported persuasive comments like that, who can refute your position?
The ability to eat non-kosher food (for gentiles, NOT Jews) in the New covenant came 5 chapters later in the first Jerusalem Council - Acts 15. (but there were still dietary laws in that as well)

I do not mind if you eat your pork chops, (if you are gentile) but please use the RIGHT scriptures to support it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.