What good is it for God to be with us, if he isn’t going to help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What good is any of His empty words of comfort and love, if he is just going to sit there and let you suffer? His words(comfort, grace, love, favor, pick whichever spiritual word us important to you) are meaningless to me without action. He sits back while I beg for help and does NOTHING. I don’t care what he wants out of this, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING He has is worth this. Any possibility of good is so outweighed by the bad to be not worth having. So what good is it if he is with you?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,669,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What good is any of His empty words of comfort and love, if he is just going to sit there and let you suffer? His words(comfort, grace, love, favor, pick whichever spiritual word us important to you) are meaningless to me without action. He sits back while I beg for help and does NOTHING. I don’t care what he wants out of this, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING He has is worth this. Any possibility of good is so outweighed by the bad to be not worth having. So what good is it if he is with you?
You’ve asked this before haven’t you?

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Ask God's son; He's had it worse than any of us.

Why-Have-You-Forsaken-Me2.jpg

Now realize that any of our sufferings, even the feeling of total abandonment, becomes a chance to come closer to God. If you are suffering, and you know no one can help, do you still want to have someone to just be with you?

This is God's only Son, with whom He is well pleased. Why do you, why do I, infinitely more guilty than Christ, think our life will be easier?

Upvote 0

xaris

Sep 8, 2020
So. Cal
✟33,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He has done all He needed to through the sacrifice of His Son.
Until then..

Romans 8:17-18 (KJV) And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Heb 11:6

anyone who approaches Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.

Please ponder on the meaning of this verse...

Upvote 0

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Now realize that any of our sufferings, even the feeling of total abandonment, becomes a chance to come closer to God. If you are suffering, and you know no one can help, do you still want to have someone to just be with you

No, I want someone who will act. What you are describing (...just be with you) is what God is doing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
  • Prayers
Reactions: Macchiato
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He has done all He needed to through the sacrifice of His Son.
Until then..

Romans 8:17-18 (KJV) And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

I care nothing for glory. Don’t want it don’t need it. I do agree with the letter of the red part, but in the opposite direction. They don’t compare , but what comes after falls as short as a penny versus the national debt.

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,126.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I care nothing for glory. Don’t want it don’t need it. I do agree with the letter of the red part, but in the opposite direction. They don’t compare , but what comes after falls as short as a penny versus the national debt.

There are people like Richard Dawkins who say that heaven would be hell for them. Why? Because they don't want to be with God. They hate God's authority.
If you don't like God then why bother? You don't have to choose God, you got the freedom to reject Him. If you really think that the age to come is "nothing compared to this pain" then heaven would not be the place for you anyway.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to believe that. I earnestly sought him. My reward? More pain, and empty statements of love.

I don't know about your journey but mine has been marked by plenty of suffering.

I think you might benefit from a revelation of who He is.

Upvote 0

RushMAN

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2020
West Coast
✟101,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I know your pain, it does feel like nothing many times. I could give you trite sayings like everyone else but to tell the truth I have no answers and wonder what you have asked many times. Yet here I am still

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
No, I want someone who will act. What you are describing (...just be with you) is what God is doing.
Read carefully the posts everyone else has given; there's a lot of wisdom on this thread that may be easy to overlook. What I'm about to say is only as an addition to the other users' input, as what they have to say is very good to understand, though I will avoid repeating it.

Consider all the people Jesus healed. Blindness, possession, even death wasn't too much for the Power of God to make well. Lazarus, Jairus' daughter, and so many others....but they all died. Died again, in some cases, and I wonder how many that came to faith through miracles lost their faith in their dying days.:crossrc: The point of all of this isn't to heal people of temporal maladies; it's so that people may see the power of God & be elevated to the Kingdom of Heaven. Look at the suffering of Paul, of Josephine Bakita, Maria Goretti, or any number of dedicated Christians through history. Remember that many of the Psalms that sing of the comfort & love you're questioning were written by David, a man who spent a great deal of his life being a righteous man hunted mercilessly by a variety of enemies. Read 1 & 2 Samuel; the man who wrote these words of comfort was not a comfortable man!

In any religion, we have to look beyond the things of this world for a deeper spiritual meaning. God being with you in your suffering is much more profound than we'll ever give Him credit for. Sometimes, we understand that pain is necessary to achieve a higher good; surgeons are paid thousands of dollars for this purpose. Imagine surgery & dentistry in the days before anesthesia! Even if we don't understand why, there still is reason to hope that a good God is like a good doctor, lovingly doing something that hurts at the time, but even if I don't understand why an organ in my body or a person in my life needs removed, I will still trust God & still trust the doctor that they know what they're doing. By the way, a lot of this is from C. S. Lewis' book, A Grief Observed. He tackles this very question, not by choice, but by the death of his beloved wife. The ensuing spiritual struggle makes up the short by powerful story.

I know your pain, it does feel like nothing many times. I could give you trite sayings like everyone else but to tell the truth I have no answers and wonder what you have asked many times. Yet here I am still
"From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him. “You do not want to leave too, do you?” Jesus asked the Twelve. Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go?..." --John 6

There was a point last year where my head was swimming in the evils of the world. 2 of my college classes were Advanced Forensic Psychology & a class on serial killers. My best friend had a homicidal stalker that may still be after her & her whole family. I was watching a good amount of the show Criminal Minds. I had been immersed in a lot about human trafficking, as my aforementioned friend had spent a summer in Thailand working against it, and still struggles with PTSD from the experience. I was so deep in everything awful in the world that I couldn't even see God. I had no reason to believe.

This is what my prayers turned into....

“You do not want to leave too, do you?” Jesus asked, with pain in His eyes, but understanding as well. “Lord," I replied, hardly able to speak, desperation & confusion as my only companions, "Where else would I go?"

Switching to atheism, though more logically sound at this point, would've solved nothing. There was still a chance that God was doing something, and I'd heard a lot about people who endure through great troubles & gain great spiritual rewards. I had no reason to believe in God, but it would've only made my despair worse if I turned away from Him.

I can't answer why God would allow evil to the extent that He does. I can, actually, but an intellectual answer hardly satisfies a crushed spirit. After this experience was when I saw more of the good that shone through this darkness. The evils of the modern slave traders cannot stop the indescribable love of the people who voluntarily take on the hell of human trafficking that others may be saved. Someone who, by their own choosing, steps into the worst of humanity, that through their sacrifice, some may be saved...sound familiar?

I don't expect this to be a full response to your question; honestly, I don't know if you'll ever find one. But let your mind prayerfully ponder this for awhile...you can almost hear the pain & confusion in Peter's voice as he replies, not with understanding of what Jesus was teaching, but with the realization that no other option would do him any good.

For what it's worth....peace be with you.:prayer:

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

John 16:33
I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

It's not like He didn't warn us.

We do trust in Him.

Upvote 0

xaris

Sep 8, 2020
So. Cal
✟33,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It isn't our glory but His. It comes to us as a free gift received by faith in His perfect righteousness not ours.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.