What God has shown me. Good news for the weak. Not so much for the religiously content

Gideons300

Our awakening is beginning. Prepare to be amazed.
Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi guys. Some of you know me from my years of posting here. To others of you, the messages I share are brand new. Either way, what God has asked me to share is..... well, different. You will not hear it from your pulpit, not yet at least. It is GREAT news, but it will not, at least at first, be accepted by many, and I suspect few pastors will agree with it. In truth, it will actually be resisted, for it threatens our status quo, Sunday-go-to-meeting Western style Christianity. Why? Because it exposes what we are trying to pass off as the fullness of what God can do for us, as simply not true. Our shallowness, our lack of reality, our lack of burden, our compromise with the world are exposed for all to see. So, if you follow along as I try to share what God began to reveal to me now ten years ago, understand that most of your Christian friends will not be joining you, LOL. Later though? You bet.

Here are some main points that will come out in all my messages.

1) Our current Christianity is not only not cutting it, it is actually detrimental to the seekers of the world listening to what we have to say. We have settled for a gospel that can forgive us by faith (true), but cannot change us, liberate us, free us from the POWER of sin by faith as well. When a man comes to Christ, here are the instructions he basically is given.

a. Read your Bible
b. Go to church
c. Pray
d. God will do the rest.
e. And when you are still not changing, and still sinning, you are universally forgiven
anyway so don't sweat it.

We are promised by God that He will transform us, fill us with spiritual fruit, set us FREE INDEED. And yet it is not happening, is it? Our theory of progressive sanctification is a lie. After decades of walking as Christians, men still struggle with the power sin has on them. I sure did, and more than most! Holiness is looked at as a "goal" we shoot for, but in truth can never attain. Thus we settle in for the long haul. No one is instructed as to HOW to get free. We simply do not believe it possible in this life. And we are wrong.

As a result of this "half gospel", the world sees us as hypocrites, essentially pretty much just like other "good" people in the world, but we get to go to heaven, and them? Uh-oh, bad news. Guys, it is called hypocrisy. Laodecian lukewarmness. Content without truly abiding in Him, and worse with no real burning desire to get free of sins in our lives. Our faith stops at forgiveness and as a result, our continuing to sin is hardening our hearts, and that is a dangerous thing.

2) Ten years ago, God appeared to me and shared with me what was holding me up. It works. It is not hard, and in truth it is actually amazingly easy. No spiritual strength is needed. Actually, those who are weak and defeated have a great advantage over those who the Bible says "can make a fair show of it in the flesh". Why? We KNOW we need a miracle to be truly Christians inside and out. It is to them who have NO strength who will become overcomers. So if you are reading these words and somewhere deep inside, it is resonating with your spirit, you are blessed.

3) The core of what I share is that when we are born again, it is not just spiritual jargon. We really do become new. The old us, called the old man, dies, because Jesus took us with Him in His death. And when Jesus rose from the dead, praise God, He brought us up with Him, as brand new people. Our sin nature was replaced by God in us. That is the new man. The power of sin, of willful disobedience, was broken. So now the logical question. Why aren't I different? Why do I still fall, when God said He will keep me from falling?

It's is simple. We have not mixed truth with our faith. We have not been taught what Paul clearly shares in Romans 6. We must take that truth and apply it to us as DONE. If we believe we are still just sinners, saved by grace, guess what? We will still sin. Ah, but if we reckon, add to our spiritual assets, that we are no longer sinners but children of God, and believe the promises of God, guess what? We walk there. God tells us to yield ourselves to Him, but how? As miserable failing children? NO! We are told to yield ourselves to Gim as those who has risen from the dead! Our faith is not the power, but it truly plugs into God's promises and we suddenly find we can... no, no... we DO say no to the devil when temptations come. How? Because God causes us to do so.

Is this not what God has promised? Has He not told us that our shields of faith will quench EVERY arrow Satan casts at us? Has He not said the sin shall no longer have dominion over us? Has He not assured us that we have been delivered from the POWER of darkness. Yes! And He cannot lie! BUT..... these promises only work when we stop trying to wrestle our old nature into submission, and KILL it by faith. We put off the old nature, put on the new, and then the processs of being changed into His likeness truly kicks into gear. Guys, from one who was miserably bound by the devil ten years ago, I can attest with all honesty. It works. Why? Because allGod's promises to us are yea and amen. God cannot lie.

This is getting long, so I will continue in a second post but listen with your heart to these two scriptures.

Peter said:

"Where are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises, that by these (the promises), we might be changed into His image."

And John in Revelations tells us of the saints in the latter days.... our days:

"......and they overcame him (the devil) by the blood of the lamb AND the word of THEIR testimony."

Is the light beginning to come on? The church is about to be awakened as to who we really are. You..... we all..... are about to be blessed beyond our imaginations to even conceive. Real revival, book of Acts type Christianity, is about to make its return on planet earth, and we are to be integral parts. And the world, scorning us for our shallow religious hypocrisy, will soon say "Look! That which bore only briars and thorns has become again like the garden of Eden!"

Stay tuned for more. A second post on where we as God's church are today and what our future holds is coming. I hope and pray this blesses you.Oh, and buckle your spiritual seatbelts. It is about to get mind- blowingly exciting.

Blessings,

Gideon

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi guys. Some of you know me from my years of posting here. To others of you, the messages I share are brand new. Either way, what God has asked me to share is..... well, different. You will not hear it from your pulpit, not yet at least. It is GREAT news, but it will not, at least at first, be accepted by many, and I suspect few pastors will agree with it. In truth, it will actually be resisted, for it threatens our status quo, Sunday-go-to-meeting Western style Christianity. Why? Because it exposes what we are trying to pass off as the fullness of what God can do for us, as simply not true. Our shallowness, our lack of reality, our lack of burden, our compromise with the world are exposed for all to see. So, if you follow along as I try to share what God began to reveal to me now ten years ago, understand that most of your Christian friends will not be joining you, LOL. Later though? You bet.

1) Our current Christianity is not only not cutting it, it is actually detrimental to the seekers of the world listening to what we have to say. We have settled for a gospel that can forgive us by faith (true), but cannot change us, liberate us, free us from the POWER of sin by faith as well. When a man comes to Christ, here are the instructions he basically is given.

a. Read your Bible
b. Go to church
c. Pray
d. God will do the rest.
e. And when you are still not changing, and still sinning, you are universally forgiven

We are promised by God that He will transform us, fill us with spiritual fruit, set us FREE INDEED. And yet it is not happening, is it? Our theory of progressive sanctification is a lie. After decades of walking as Christians, men still struggle with the power sin has on them. I sure did, and more than most! Holiness is looked at as a "goal" we shoot for, but in truth can never attain. Thus we settle in for the long haul. No one is instructed as to HOW to get free. We simply do not believe it possible in this life. And we are wrong.

As a result of this "half gospel", the world sees us as hypocrites, essentially pretty much just like other "good" people in the world, but we get to go to heaven, and them? Uh-oh, bad news. Guys, it is called hypocrisy. Laodecian lukewarmness. Content without truly abiding in Him, and worse with no real burning desire to get free of sins in our lives. Our faith stops at forgiveness and as a result, our continuing to sin is hardening our hearts, and that is a dangerous thing.

2) Ten years ago, God appeared to me and shared with me what was holding me up. It works. It is not hard, and in truth it is actually amazingly easy. No spiritual strength is needed. Actually, those who are weak and defeated have a great advantage over those who the Bible says "can make a fair show of it in the flesh". Why? We KNOW we need a miracle to be truly Christians inside and out. It is to them who have NO strength who will become overcomers. So if you are reading these words and somewhere deep inside, it is resonating with your spirit, you are blessed.

3) The core of what I share is that when we are born again, it is not just spiritual jargon. We really do become new. The old us, called the old man, dies, because Jesus took us with Him in His death. And when Jesus rose from the dead, praise God, He brought us up with Him, as brand new people. Our sin nature was replaced by God in us. That is the new man. The power of sin, of willful disobedience, was broken. So now the logical question. Why aren't I different? Why do I still fall, when God said He will keep me from falling?

It's is simple. We have not mixed truth with our faith. We have not been taught what Paul clearly shares in Romans 6. We must take that truth and apply it to us as DONE. If we believe we are still just sinners, saved by grace, guess what? We will still sin. Ah, but if we reckon, add to our spiritual assets, that we are no longer sinners but children of God, and believe the promises of God, guess what? We walk there. God tells us to yield ourselves to Him, but how? As miserable failing children? NO! We are told to yield ourselves to Gim as those who has risen from the dead! Our faith is not the power, but it truly plugs into God's promises and we suddenly find we can... no, no... we DO say no to the devil when temptations come. How? Because God causes us to do so.

Is this not what God has promised? Has He not told us that our shields of faith will quench EVERY arrow Satan casts at us? Has He not said the sin shall no longer have dominion over us? Has He not assured us that we have been delivered from the POWER of darkness. Yes! And He cannot lie! BUT..... these promises only work when we stop trying to wrestle our old nature into submission, and KILL it by faith. We put off the old nature, put on the new, and then the processs of being changed into His likeness truly kicks into gear. Guys, from one who was miserably bound by the devil ten years ago, I can attest with all honesty. It works. Why? Because allGod's promises to us are yea and amen. God cannot lie.

This is getting long, so I will continue in a second post but listen with your heart to these two scriptures.

Peter said:

"Where are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises, that by these (the promises), we might be changed into His image."

"......and they overcame him (the devil) by the blood of the lamb AND the word of THEIR testimony."

Is the light beginning to come on? The church is about to be awakened as to who we really are. You..... we all..... are about to be blessed beyond our imaginations to even conceive. Real revival, book of Acts type Christianity, is about to make its return on planet earth, and we are to be integral parts. And the world, scorning us for our shallow religious hypocrisy, will soon say "Look! That which bore only briars and thorns has become again like the garden of Eden!"

Stay tuned for more. A second post on where we as God's church are today and what our future holds is coming. I hope and pray this blesses you.Oh, and buckle your spiritual seatbelts. It is about to get mind- blowingly exciting.

Blessings,

Gideon
The power of sin is the law(1cor15:56)

Therefore:

For sin shall no longer be your master for you are not under law but under grace( rom6:14)

Many people can wrote books on how to overcome sin, but Paul tells us in seventeen words

Upvote 0

Gideons300

Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The power of sin is the law(1cor15:56)

Therefore:

For sin shall no longer be your master for you are not under law but under grace( rom6:14)

Many people can wrote books on how to overcome sin, but Paul tells us in seventeen words
Just to clarify. In your interpretation of this verse, does this mean one does not willfully have to ever give into sin when tempted, or or does it mean since we are no longer under the law, even if we sin, it doesn' really matter?
Thanks.

Gids

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just to clarify. In your interpretation of this verse, does this mean one does not willfully have to ever give into sin when tempted, or or does it mean since we are no longer under the law, even if we sin, it doesn' really matter?
Thanks.

Gids
The law cannot condemn you, for you have righteousness/ justification apart from law( rom3:21)

No born again Christian can view righteousness apart from law as meaning it doesn't matter if you commit wilfull sin, for the law God desires you to keep is written on your mind and placed on your heart.
Jeremiah ch31, heb chs8&10

Upvote 0

Gideons300

Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The law cannot condemn you, for you have righteousness/ justification apart from law( rom3:21)

No born again Christian can view righteousness apart from law as meaning it doesn't matter if you commit wilfull sin, for the law God desires you to keep is written on your mind and placed on your heart.
Jeremiah ch31, heb chs8&10
Then why is it that sin still rules the roost in the lives of so many? Yes, we can repent, and repent again, but do you believe there a walk where we actually experience victory over the power of darkness, not just be freed from the penalty of it?

The truth is, it is promised clearly in thecWord, but sadly, few if any are walking there. And because sin continuing in our hearts has done what sin does.... harden our hearts, it has come to the point we simply do not even believe it possible for after all, "we are only sinners, saved by Grace". So we have lowered the standards to meet our walk, rather than grab hold of the promises and let God lift our walk up to actually see the promises fulfilled.

Gideon

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then why is it that sin still rules the roost in the lives of so many? Yes, we can repent, and repent again, but do you believe there a walk where we actually experience victory over the power of darkness, not just be freed from the penalty of it?

The truth is, it is promised clearly in thecWord, but sadly, few if any are walking there. And because sin continuing in our hearts has done what sin does.... harden our hearts, it has come to the point we simply do not even believe it possible for after all, "we are only sinners, saved by Grace". So we have lowered the standards to meet our walk, rather than grab hold of the promises and let God lift our walk up to actually see the promises fulfilled.

Gideon
But how many Christians truly believe they have righteousness/ justification before God apart from observing the law?
Most would view that as a licence to sin.
Yet according to Paul, dying to a law of righteousness is the route you must take in order for sin not to be your master.
Of course, Paul stresses the need for the christian to make Christ their Lord and master, put him first in their life.
Those who want this, can never use grace as a licence to sin.

• Agree
Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0

Gideons300

Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But how many Christians truly believe they have righteousness/ justification before God apart from observing the law?
Most would view that as a licence to sin.
Yet according to Paul, dying to a law of righteousness is the route you must take in order for sin not to be your master.
Of course, Paul stresses the need for the christian to make Christ their Lord and master, put him first in their life.
Those who want this, can never use grace as a licence to sin.
You are still not answering the question. In Ezekiel 36, God , speaking of the benefits of His new covenant, says that He will "cause us" (his words exactly) to walk in obedience.

He says He will keep us from falling. Do you believe it is for us, and if so, what is your explanation as to why so few ever experience real victory?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are still not answering the question. In Ezekiel 36, God , speaking of the benefits of His new covenant, says that He will "cause us" (his words exactly) to walk in obedience.

He says He will keep us from falling. Do you believe it is for us, and if so, what is your explanation as to why so few ever experience real victory?

Thanks.
But I have answered the question!

God will cause us to walk in obedience, but we MUST( must) follow the truth of the message!

If you live under the law, you live under the power of sin, therefore you cannot walk In obedience can you.

• Agree
Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0

Gideons300

Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But I have answered the question!

God will cause us to walk in obedience, but we MUST( must) follow the truth of the message!

If you live under the law, you live under the power of sin, therefore you cannot walk In obedience can you.
Please bear with me. I am genuinely intersted. So in your view, if it is possible to walk as you say, what explanation is there for the multitudes of believers not walking there. In fact, even the most earnest of followers is not experiencing being caused to never violate their conscience.

In addition, what is your meaning when you say that we must follow the truth of the message. Can you clarify that for me?

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Please bear with me. I am genuinely intersted. So in your view, if it is possible to walk as you say, what explanation is there for the multitudes of believers not walking there. In fact, even the most earnest of followers is not experiencing being caused to never violate their conscience.

In addition, what is your meaning when you say that we must follow the truth of the message. Can you clarify that for me?
To truly walk not under law, you have to be fully committed to Christ. He must come first In your life. Many who attend church are not prepared to yield their lives to Christ.
And the christian has an enemy, satan. He knows Paul spoke the truth when he stated:
The power of sin is the law 1cor15:56
And satan is desperate for sins power to remain in place for the christian, and he is subtle. He puts rational thoughts in peoples minds to object to them not living under a law of righteousness.
These are reasons so many refuse to accept what scripture clearly states.
Of course your conscience is seered if you commit wilful sin, for the law has been placed on your heart. If anyone wilfully goes against what is in their heart they have a conscience.

The christian must follow the truth of the message. They must die to the law of righteousness in order to live for God( rom7:4) and so that sin shall not be their master( rom6:14)

What is more important in the faith than sin not being your master?
Therefore, the christian must follow the scriptural message of how to have victory over sin in their life

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

katinka

katinka2
Nov 29, 2010
USA
✟9,699.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

Thanks.

Upvote 0

katinka

katinka2
Nov 29, 2010
USA
✟9,699.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I believe if we fully commit to God, recognize our position as His children, understand and accept His Fatherhood, our love for Him will grow and our desire for his fellowship will cause us to love Him enough to die to ourselves. It's simply the relationship of a loving child to his loving Father that causes the child to want his father's favor. It is obvious how much He loves his children. He was willing to die for them.

• Agree
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe if we fully commit to God, recognize our position as His children, understand and accept His Fatherhood, our love for Him will grow and our desire for his fellowship will cause us to love Him enough to die to ourselves. It's simply the relationship of a loving child to his loving Father that causes the child to want his father's favor. It is obvious how much He loves his children. He was willing to die for them.
Its a very hard thing to do to die to self.
As Christians we often say we have, indeed, in our hearts we want to, but I'm not sure many actually do in their lives.
I like your posts BTW

Upvote 0

Gideons300

Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can we then assume that those believers who have served him for thirty, forty, fifty years are clearly seen as areiving at that point?

If our understanding of progressive holiness is accurate, should we not see chirches full of aged saonts who can testify that God indeed has helped them defeat the world, the flesh and the devil , and made them truly more than overcomers?

The truth is, we reach a plateau point where we level off, and we simply end up at that point going to church, doing pretty much the same thing over and over, week in, week out.

But as to getting in front of the church, unging the younger saints to persevere because God WILL set them free indeed from the old nature and its impulses, testifying that God indeed will do as He has promised and fill them with all rhe fruits of the Spirit, if they simply continue on the path they are on? We both know the andwer to this, amen?

Blessings,

Gideon

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Gideon

Can you name me one person since or before Jesus that has experienced "victory over the power of darkness"?

One other problem I see is your application of Old Testament to New Testament believers.

Fact of the matter is, that very little of the OT is directed at New Testament believers.

Now back to: "victory over the power of darkness".

Complete/Entire Sanctification is a mark we'll never achieve in this lifetime, in this body of flesh. Paul addresses this in Romans.

We know for a fact that the NT was starting to be written perhaps just 7 years after the crucifixion.

We also know that Peter sinned willfully several times after his own point of salvation as recorded in the book of Acts.

We also know that Peter was guilty of the sin of hypocrisy as recorded by Paul. Gal 2.

And Paul himself was not perfect either.

He disobeyed God same as Peter.

Paul being a Pharisee knew the Law, so for him to rebuke (scripture says "revile") the high priest, Paul sinned. Acts 26

Any sin, is a willful sin. We will never be completely sanctified from sin until Jesus returns and we are made like Him. 1 Jn. 3:2

Does that mean we shouldn't try? No! But I know that even on our best days, we'll sin.

Thank God for the clause in 1 Jn. 1:8-10.

There is also the "you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free".

Free from what?

Bondage to sin.

Where we were once held in bondage to sin like a slave in chains, that bondage is now broken. But just because the bondage is broken does not mean it isn't still a part of us. Read Rom. 7.

Should we strive for "entire sanctification"? Yes!

Is it attainable in this lifetime? No!

B.B. Warfield wrote:

"ENTIRE SANCTIFICATION

1 Thess. 5:23-24:—"And the God of peace himself sanctify you wholly; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved entire without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is he that calleth you, who will also do it."

He does not, indeed, represent it as attainable by and through human effort alone, as if man in his own strength could reach and touch this his true ultimate goal of endeavour. Rather he emphatically represents it as the gift of God alone. After exhorting men to their best endeavours, he turns suddenly from man to God and besieges Him with prayer. Strive, he says, strive always, do this thing and do that—and so work out this, your ethical salvation. "But may God Himself— the God of peace Himself"—the stress is on the "Himself." It is in God, in God alone, the God of peace alone, that hope can be placed for such high attainments.

But cannot hope be placed in God for this attainment? The whole gist of Paul's prayer— nay, the whole drift of his discourse—would be stultified, were it not so. Paul's prayer, and the way in which he introduces his prayer, all combine to make it certain that he is not mocking us here with an illusory hope but is placing soberly before us an attainable goal. This perfect perfection is then, necessarily, according to Paul, attainable for man. God can and will give it to His children.

Even more must be said. Paul not only prays seriously for it for his readers, and this implies that it may, nay, will be given them; he definitely promises it to them, and bases this, his definite promise, on no less firm a foundation than the faithfulness of God. May God sanctify you wholly, he says, and the rest of it. But he does not stop there. He follows the prayer with the promise: "Faithful is He that calleth you," and he adds, "who also will do it." Thus Paul pledges the faithfulness of God to the completion of his readers' perfection. And we must not lose the force and pointedness with which he does this by failing to pay attention to the sharp, proverbial character of this pledging clause. It has all the quality of a maxim; and the gist of the maxim is that God, this God of whom Paul was praying our perfection, is not a caller only, but also a performer. He has called us into the Christian life. This Christian life into which He has called us is in principle a life of moral perfection. And this God that calls is not a God that calls merely—He is a God that also accomplishes. His very calling of ns into this life of new morality is a pledge, then, that He will perfect the good work in us which He has begun. "Faithful is He that calleth you: who also is one that shall do."

The accomplishment of this our perfection then does not hang on our weak endeavours. It does not hang even on Paul's strong prayer. It hangs only on God's almighty and unfailing faithfulness. If God is faithful, He who not only calls but does— then, we cannot fail of perfection. Here you see is not only perfection carried to its highest power, but the certainty of attaining this perfection carried also to its highest power. Not only may a Christian man be perfect—absolutely perfect in all departments of his being—but he certainly and unfailingly shall be perfect. So certain as it is that God has called him "not for uncleanness but in sanctification" as the very sphere in which his life as a Christian must be passed, so certain is it that the God who is not merely a caller but a doer will perfect him in this sanctification. Such is the teaching of the text. And assuredly it goes in this, far, far beyond all modern teaching as to entire sanctification that ever has been heard of among men.

And now, let us observe, thirdly, the period to which the Apostle assigns the accomplishment of this great hope. It is at once evident that he is not dealing with this perfection as a thing already in the possession of his readers. It is not a matter of congratulation to them—as some Christian graces were, for the presence of which in their hearts he thanks God,—but a matter of prayer to God for them. It is a thing not yet in possession but in petition. It is yet to come to them. He does not permit us to suppose, then, that the Thessalonians had already attained—or should already have attained—it. He thanks God, indeed, for their rescue from the state in which they were by nature. He thanks God for their great attainments in Christian living. But he does not suggest they had already reached the goal. On the contrary, a great part of the letter is taken up with exhortation to Christian duties not yet overtaken, graces of Christian living still to be cultivated. His readers are treated distinctly and emphatically as viatores, not yet as comprehensores. Not in and of them, but in and of God, is the perfection which he prays for. What we see is not hoped for, what we pray for is not already attained. Moreover the very pledge he gives of the attainment of this perfection bears in it an implication that it is yet a matter of hope, not of possession. He pledges the faithfulness of God, the Caller. Accordingly, the perfection longed for and promised is not given in the call itself; it is not the invariable possession of the Christian soul. He that is called looks yet for it; it is sought still; and at the hands of the Caller whose faithfulness assures the performance. The performance, therefore, still lags.

It is clear, therefore, that Paul, though promising this perfection as the certain heritage of every Christian man, presents it as a matter of hope, not yet seen; not as a matter of experience, already enjoyed. That it belongs to us as Christians we can be assured only by the faithfulness of God, the Performer as well as the Caller. Can we learn from Paul when we can hope for it? Assuredly, he has not left us in ignorance here. He openly declares, indeed, the term of our imperfection—the point of entrance into our perfection. "May the God of peace," he prays, "sanctify you wholly and may there be preserved blamelessly perfect your spirit and soul and body, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ" You see it is on the second advent of Christ—and that is the end of the world, and the judgment day—that the Apostle has his eyes set. There is the point of time to which he refers the completeness of our perfecting.

And if you will stop and consider a moment, you will perceive that it must be so, for the entire perfecting, at least, of which the Apostle speaks. For you will bear in mind that the perfecting includes the perfecting of the body also. It is the perfecting of the whole man that he prays for, and this expressly includes the body as well as the soul and spirit. Now the perfected body is given to man only at the resurrection, at the last day, which is the day of the second coming of Christ. Until then the body is mouldering in the grave. Whether spiritual perfection may be attained before then, he does not in this passage say. But the analogy of the body will apparently go so far as this, at all events—it raises a suspicion that the perfecting of the soul and spirit also will be gradual, the result of a process, and will be completed only in a crisis, a cataclysmic moment, when the Spirit of God produces in them the fitness to live with God. This suspicion is entirely borne out by Paul's deab'ng with the whole matter of sanctification in this context, and in this whole epistle: as a matter of effort, long-continued and strenuous, building up slowly the structure to the end. There is no promise of its completion in this life; there is no hint that it may be completed in this life. There is only everywhere strong exhortations to ceaseless effort; and strong encouragements by promises of its completion in the end—against "that day." "That day" of judgment, that is, when God shall take account of all men and of all that is in man.

What is thus fairly implied here is openly taught elsewhere. Men here are not comprehensores but viatores; we are fighting the good fight; we are running the race. The prize is yonder. And not until the body of this death is laid aside shall the soul be fitted to enter naked into the presence of its Lord, there expecting until the body shall be restored to it—no longer a body of death but of glory. Meanwhile the gradual process of sanctification goes on in soul and body —until the crisis comes when the "Spiritus Creator" shall powerfully intervene with the final acts of renewal."

B.B. Warfield, Entire Sanctification

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gideons300

Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you name me one person since or before Jesus that has experienced "victory over the power of darkness"?

One other problem I see is your application of Old Testament to New Testament believers.

Fact of the matter is, that very little of the OT is directed at New Testament believers.

Now back to: "victory over the power of darkness".

Complete/Entire Sanctification is a mark we'll never achieve in this lifetime, in this body of flesh. Paul addresses this in Romans.

We know for a fact that the NT was starting to be written perhaps just 7 years after the crucifixion.

We also know that Peter sinned willfully several times after his own point of salvation as recorded in the book of Acts.

We also know that Peter was guilty of the sin of hypocrisy as recorded by Paul. Gal 2.

And Paul himself was not perfect either.

He disobeyed God same as Peter.

Paul being a Pharisee knew the Law, so for him to rebuke (scripture says "revile") the high priest, Paul sinned. Acts 26

Any sin, is a willful sin. We will never be completely sanctified from sin until Jesus returns and we are made like Him. 1 Jn. 3:2

Does that mean we shouldn't try? No! But I know that even on our best days, we'll sin.

Thank God for the clause in 1 Jn. 1:8-10.

There is also the "you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free".

Free from what?

Bondage to sin.

Where we were once held in bondage to sin like a slave in chains, that bondage is now broken. But just because the bondage is broken does not mean it isn't still a part of us. Read Rom. 7.

Should we strive for "entire sanctification"? Yes!

Is it attainable in this lifetime? No!

B.B. Warfield wrote:

"ENTIRE SANCTIFICATION

1 Thess. 5:23-24:—"And the God of peace himself sanctify you wholly; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved entire without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is he that calleth you, who will also do it."

He does not, indeed, represent it as attainable by and through human effort alone, as if man in his own strength could reach and touch this his true ultimate goal of endeavour. Rather he emphatically represents it as the gift of God alone. After exhorting men to their best endeavours, he turns suddenly from man to God and besieges Him with prayer. Strive, he says, strive always, do this thing and do that—and so work out this, your ethical salvation. "But may God Himself— the God of peace Himself"—the stress is on the "Himself." It is in God, in God alone, the God of peace alone, that hope can be placed for such high attainments.

But cannot hope be placed in God for this attainment? The whole gist of Paul's prayer— nay, the whole drift of his discourse—would be stultified, were it not so. Paul's prayer, and the way in which he introduces his prayer, all combine to make it certain that he is not mocking us here with an illusory hope but is placing soberly before us an attainable goal. This perfect perfection is then, necessarily, according to Paul, attainable for man. God can and will give it to His children.

Even more must be said. Paul not only prays seriously for it for his readers, and this implies that it may, nay, will be given them; he definitely promises it to them, and bases this, his definite promise, on no less firm a foundation than the faithfulness of God. May God sanctify you wholly, he says, and the rest of it. But he does not stop there. He follows the prayer with the promise: "Faithful is He that calleth you," and he adds, "who also will do it." Thus Paul pledges the faithfulness of God to the completion of his readers' perfection. And we must not lose the force and pointedness with which he does this by failing to pay attention to the sharp, proverbial character of this pledging clause. It has all the quality of a maxim; and the gist of the maxim is that God, this God of whom Paul was praying our perfection, is not a caller only, but also a performer. He has called us into the Christian life. This Christian life into which He has called us is in principle a life of moral perfection. And this God that calls is not a God that calls merely—He is a God that also accomplishes. His very calling of ns into this life of new morality is a pledge, then, that He will perfect the good work in us which He has begun. "Faithful is He that calleth you: who also is one that shall do."

The accomplishment of this our perfection then does not hang on our weak endeavours. It does not hang even on Paul's strong prayer. It hangs only on God's almighty and unfailing faithfulness. If God is faithful, He who not only calls but does— then, we cannot fail of perfection. Here you see is not only perfection carried to its highest power, but the certainty of attaining this perfection carried also to its highest power. Not only may a Christian man be perfect—absolutely perfect in all departments of his being—but he certainly and unfailingly shall be perfect. So certain as it is that God has called him "not for uncleanness but in sanctification" as the very sphere in which his life as a Christian must be passed, so certain is it that the God who is not merely a caller but a doer will perfect him in this sanctification. Such is the teaching of the text. And assuredly it goes in this, far, far beyond all modern teaching as to entire sanctification that ever has been heard of among men.

And now, let us observe, thirdly, the period to which the Apostle assigns the accomplishment of this great hope. It is at once evident that he is not dealing with this perfection as a thing already in the possession of his readers. It is not a matter of congratulation to them—as some Christian graces were, for the presence of which in their hearts he thanks God,—but a matter of prayer to God for them. It is a thing not yet in possession but in petition. It is yet to come to them. He does not permit us to suppose, then, that the Thessalonians had already attained—or should already have attained—it. He thanks God, indeed, for their rescue from the state in which they were by nature. He thanks God for their great attainments in Christian living. But he does not suggest they had already reached the goal. On the contrary, a great part of the letter is taken up with exhortation to Christian duties not yet overtaken, graces of Christian living still to be cultivated. His readers are treated distinctly and emphatically as viatores, not yet as comprehensores. Not in and of them, but in and of God, is the perfection which he prays for. What we see is not hoped for, what we pray for is not already attained. Moreover the very pledge he gives of the attainment of this perfection bears in it an implication that it is yet a matter of hope, not of possession. He pledges the faithfulness of God, the Caller. Accordingly, the perfection longed for and promised is not given in the call itself; it is not the invariable possession of the Christian soul. He that is called looks yet for it; it is sought still; and at the hands of the Caller whose faithfulness assures the performance. The performance, therefore, still lags.

It is clear, therefore, that Paul, though promising this perfection as the certain heritage of every Christian man, presents it as a matter of hope, not yet seen; not as a matter of experience, already enjoyed. That it belongs to us as Christians we can be assured only by the faithfulness of God, the Performer as well as the Caller. Can we learn from Paul when we can hope for it? Assuredly, he has not left us in ignorance here. He openly declares, indeed, the term of our imperfection—the point of entrance into our perfection. "May the God of peace," he prays, "sanctify you wholly and may there be preserved blamelessly perfect your spirit and soul and body, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ" You see it is on the second advent of Christ—and that is the end of the world, and the judgment day—that the Apostle has his eyes set. There is the point of time to which he refers the completeness of our perfecting.

And if you will stop and consider a moment, you will perceive that it must be so, for the entire perfecting, at least, of which the Apostle speaks. For you will bear in mind that the perfecting includes the perfecting of the body also. It is the perfecting of the whole man that he prays for, and this expressly includes the body as well as the soul and spirit. Now the perfected body is given to man only at the resurrection, at the last day, which is the day of the second coming of Christ. Until then the body is mouldering in the grave. Whether spiritual perfection may be attained before then, he does not in this passage say. But the analogy of the body will apparently go so far as this, at all events—it raises a suspicion that the perfecting of the soul and spirit also will be gradual, the result of a process, and will be completed only in a crisis, a cataclysmic moment, when the Spirit of God produces in them the fitness to live with God. This suspicion is entirely borne out by Paul's deab'ng with the whole matter of sanctification in this context, and in this whole epistle: as a matter of effort, long-continued and strenuous, building up slowly the structure to the end. There is no promise of its completion in this life; there is no hint that it may be completed in this life. There is only everywhere strong exhortations to ceaseless effort; and strong encouragements by promises of its completion in the end—against "that day." "That day" of judgment, that is, when God shall take account of all men and of all that is in man.

What is thus fairly implied here is openly taught elsewhere. Men here are not comprehensores but viatores; we are fighting the good fight; we are running the race. The prize is yonder. And not until the body of this death is laid aside shall the soul be fitted to enter naked into the presence of its Lord, there expecting until the body shall be restored to it—no longer a body of death but of glory. Meanwhile the gradual process of sanctification goes on in soul and body —until the crisis comes when the "Spiritus Creator" shall powerfully intervene with the final acts of renewal."

B.B. Warfield, Entire Sanctification

God Bless

Till all are one.
The fact that we do not believe it possible to be kept from falling has had a disastrous effect on the church. God tells us that in every temptation, He will make a way of escape. He tells us that our shields of faith will quench every arrow satan hurls at us. But who has believed His report? Not us..... yet.

Is our standard to be "Well, since no one has walked this walk that I have seen, then, it must be impossible."? Or will we finally be the generation that says "If our God clearly said it, then I will believe it!"?

Our root of unbelief in God's power to keep us from falling has led to a church that is, in truth, not even trying to walk pleasing to God in all things. We just "do the best we can" when inside, we know that is not the truth, don't we?

Have we forgotten? We are counseled to bring every thought unto the obedience of Christ. But if we believe this 'goal' is unachievable, and the vast majority do, it leaves us with a grace that forgives the sins we will commit over and over, eventually with no real remorse, nor even repentance, for "after all, we are only human". The Bible tells us that real grace teaches us that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we are to live soberly, righteously and justly in this present age. It warns of a final generation that turns the grace of God into lasciviousness, or a license to sin. It says that these people will have a form of godliness but deny the power of it.

We are that generation.

I have said it before but it bears repeating. If a man is overtaken in a sin, but hates it every time he slips back, and whose heart is found crying out to be delivered from that evil, as Paul was in Romans 7, then praise God, God will abundantly pardon and lead him to eventual victory. But if a man is overcome, and simply wants grace to forgive him so he makes heaven, yet he has no real remorse or desire to be freed from that sin's grip, he is in great danger of being of those who were shocked on the final day..... shocked to find out that their heart was far from God. And the weeping, and wailing and gnashing of teeth will begin.

We have become a church where exhortation, rebuke, correction and instruction in righteousness is labeled 'judging' or 'being sin conscious'. Since we do not believe holiness is ever possible, we have simply stopped trying, and simply laid down in our Laodecian lukewarmness, thinking grace is a fuzzy blanket that will keep us safe no matter how far we drift from the truth.We forget the words of Paul warning us to behold "the goodness and severity of God" and what the fture holds for them that do not continue in His goodness.

And why have we fallen into such a black place of faithlessness? Because we still see overcoming sin as something WE must do, and not something our Jesus has promised to do IN us. When that chsnges, and our lightbulbs come on, we will be amazed at what God can do in us when our trust in Him overtakes our evil hearts of unbelief.

We are about to be awakened..... every single one of us. But not all will choose to light their lamps by coming into agreement with God. He tells us that we are no longer in the flesh. He tells us we owe the flesh a big fat nothing. He tells us sin shall not have dominion over us. And yes brother, He even tells us that we have been delievered from the POWER of darkness.

When will we finally get it? Our job is not to stop sinning. Our job is to admit we can't and also to cry our with everything within us to be delivered from evil by our Father in Heaven. Our job is seek Him with broken hearts as wretched men, and believe that our God not only can but will deliver us, transform us and set us FREE INDEED just as He has promised.

Will we finally believe our God? I pray so.

Blessings,

Gideon

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟326,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

a. Read your Bible
b. Go to church
c. Pray
d. God will do the rest.

Peter said:

Blessings,

Gideon

To begin with, not one Fundie has answered. For two, no thank you. I don't need spiritual seatbelts, I've already had my own miracles.

But I'll pray for you!

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To begin with, not one Fundie has answered.

I did, just not to the way you think.

I answered section:

e. And when you are still not changing, and still sinning, you are universally forgiven anyway so don't sweat it.

th

Dezi Arnez: "Ay yi yi!"

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0