What function does the Holy Spirit have in the hearts of believers?

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Believers have the Holy Spirit as in Joel's prophecy and the fulness comes through repentance.

OK here is the reference: Joel 2:
28 And afterward, I will pour out My Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your old men will dream dreams,
your young men will see visions.

So, as you say all believers have this...

So all believers will Prophesy.

Is this something else the Holy Spirit does being resident in us?

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great question.. Hey Carl. I was just thinking about this last night. The holy Spirit and an advocate, intercessor, a consoler, comforter, helper. I was thinking theres allot we believe but is it written :) For me.. praying asking the Father for the Holy Spirit, that moment changed my life forever. And I had to ask as He said in Luke. And a key word some are missing is "to THEM". To them that ask. Hey.. I AM THEM! We find in John He said "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;" What was Jesus on this earth? He said.. to them that ask. Jesus just did what in John 14? :)

And the Holy Spirit talks, He did 3 times in Acts. And "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." Who is "them that love Him"? The next verse "But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God." So our spirit in us knows the things of a man. So the holy Spirit knows the things of God. And "Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God."

This is no different than John 3 16-17. FAITH! The gifts.. He has used in me many times. Some I know that work all the time. Hes not a light switch we turn off and on. He is always on. I don't believe because I was taught.. I believe because He said it. I know who THEM means. I know who WHO SO EVER means. I know what doubt does.

Upvote 0

grampster

Aug 18, 2019
Comstock Park
✟34,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Me, first of all, I believe the scriptures to be inerrant. For if there is a God and He wanted to leave us a guide book, and since He was able to speak the universe into existence along with everything seen and unseen, He certainly is capable to inspire the writers to put down the Word the way He wants it in any language, for any time, to reveal the truth, light and way to any human being who has eyes to see, ears to hear, a repentant heart, a love of God and a willingness to believe on Jesus, and have Faith. In addition, the indwelling Holy Spirit promised to be our counselor helps us to grasp the meaning of infallible scripture when He wants us to understand particular parts of it as we move along in Faith. It certainly seems to work that way for me. I'd add that all us are not always on the same page because we haven't all got to that page at any given moment of our lives yet. I have prayed and read the bible often and was completely flumoxed by portions of it and then one day, when I needed it the most, BOOM!! comes the light. I'm 76 and have been born again since I was around 40. Very often I have flailed around and then when I needed it the most, the Holy Spirit led me to Truth and Light and Way in the scripture. I believe He speaks to me in all sorts of ways, some amusing and some painful, and that causes me to try and live my life as a reflection of that. I don't always succeed, but I have Faith in the Grace He has extended to me through Jesus the Word and the Holy Spirit. (Here is an example of an amusing revalation: I lost a key that opened a mailbox at a condo were we were staying. I hunted everywhere for it. Around the apartment and back and forth from the condo to the mailbox several times. I was frustrated and was asking Him for help in finding the key. I had walked back and forth through the garage several times looking. Finally I'd given up and was slowly walking back into the garage to enter the condo and there was the key, lying on the floor in the empty garage, right smack dab in the middle of the garage floor where I had looked several times. There have been many, many occasions like that in my life and it makes me always shake my head and smile.)

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Me, first of all, I believe the scriptures to be inerrant. For if there is a God and He wanted to leave us a guide book, and since He was able to speak the universe into existence along with everything seen and unseen, He certainly is capable to inspire the writers to put down the Word the way He wants it in any language, for any time, to reveal the truth, light and way to any human being who has eyes to see, ears to hear, a repentant heart, a love of God and a willingness to believe on Jesus, and have Faith. In addition, the indwelling Holy Spirit promised to be our counselor helps us to grasp the meaning of infallible scripture when He wants us to understand particular parts of it as we move along in Faith. It certainly seems to work that way for me. I'd add that all us are not always on the same page because we haven't all got to that page at any given moment of our lives yet. I have prayed and read the bible often and was completely flumoxed by portions of it and then one day, when I needed it the most, BOOM!! comes the light. I'm 76 and have been born again since I was around 40. Very often I have flailed around and then when I needed it the most, the Holy Spirit led me to Truth and Light and Way in the scripture. I believe He speaks to me in all sorts of ways, some amusing and some painful, and that causes me to try and live my life as a reflection of that. I don't always succeed, but I have Faith in the Grace He has extended to me through Jesus the Word and the Holy Spirit. (Here is an example of an amusing revalation: I lost a key that opened a mailbox at a condo were we were staying. I hunted everywhere for it. Around the apartment and back and forth from the condo to the mailbox several times. I was frustrated and was asking Him for help in finding the key. I had walked back and forth through the garage several times looking. Finally I'd given up and was slowly walking back into the garage to enter the condo and there was the key, lying on the floor in the empty garage, right smack dab in the middle of the garage floor where I had looked several times. There have been many, many occasions like that in my life and it makes me always shake my head and smile.)
Lovely Post thanks...

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The very presence of the Creator of the Universe within the believer is an underrated and little talked about topic.

Can we establish what the believer can expect the Holy Spirit to do within us.

This is not about spiritual gifts, or the empowering for ministry, but simply His presence within.

Given the promise of Jesus that the Holy Spirit would lead us into all truth, is this still happening today? If so does that mean He speaks to us?

Does He no longer dwell within since we have the church as our guide? Does He no longer dwell within because we have the bible instead as our guide.

Your comments much appreciated.
Adam and Eve once had the Holy Spirit. They rejected God and lost Him, His Holy Spirit. Through His Son, Jesus Christ of Nazareth , we have been regenerated and restored with His Holy Spirit once lost through sin. We now are filled with His Holy Spirit as we walk with Him daily.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK we are compiling quite a list of what the Holy Spirit of Jesus does inside of us.

Can we consider the following verses from Isaiah 11:

1 Then a shoot will spring from the stem of Jesse,
And a branch from his roots will bear fruit.

2 The Spirit of the LORD will rest on Him,
The spirit of wisdom and understanding,
The spirit of counsel and strength,
The spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD.

We see here seven spirits uniquely given to Jesus the Messiah and through Him given to us.

You may have noticed the seven Spirits of God are also referred to in Revelation.

Please give prayerful consideration to the indwelling presence including these seven aspects which make up the Holy Spirit.

These aspects are nothing to do with gifts but are given to all at salvation.

If we feel we lack any of these we need to ask Him to release their fullness and remove any block to their full expression.

This in itself can be quite life changing.

We rightly make true for ourselves each of these by faith.

I hope this is helpful as so many only expect these by way of spiritual gifts when these are all part of the character of the Holy Spirit indwelling us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Steven Beck

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟28,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
When Jesus said "He will guide you into all the truth" it was not a promise to all believers. He was personally addressing the 11 disciples when he was preparing them for Pentecost. It was part of the same discourse where he said...

"But now I am going to Him who sent Me; and none of you asks Me, ‘Where are You going?’ But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you...But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come."

The "you" in this passage is the disciples. The Holy Spirit would guide them into all truth as they taught and wrote the New Testament.

It is plainly obvious that the Holy Spirit does not internally guide today's believers into all truth because if he did we would all agree with each other! (unless we claim that those who disagree with our particular set of doctrines are not Christians!)

LOL yeah that was a leap of assumptions.

Upvote 0

Steven Beck

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟28,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
The very presence of the Creator of the Universe within the believer is an underrated and little talked about topic.

This is not about spiritual gifts, or the empowering for ministry, but simply His presence within.

Given the promise of Jesus that the Holy Spirit would lead us into all truth, is this still happening today? If so does that mean He speaks to us?

Does He no longer dwell within since we have the church as our guide? Does He no longer dwell within because we have the bible instead as our guide.

You do realize that if you are a born again believer that you are carrying GOD within your mortal body. You are His eyes, ears, mouthpiece and if you are willing anything that God may have you accomplish that He has called you for. People need to DWELL ON THIS FACT for a while.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Adam and Eve once had the Holy Spirit. They rejected God and lost Him, His Holy Spirit. Through His Son, Jesus Christ of Nazareth , we have been regenerated and restored with His Holy Spirit once lost through sin. We now are filled with His Holy Spirit as we walk with Him daily.
Blessings
They were free to eat of the Tree of Life, but they chose the Tree of Death instead.
"Tree of death", -yes, because death was the result of choosing knowledge instead of relationship.

Sadly, much of Christianity chooses knowledge above relationship. They imagine they can get all the knowledge they need from their bibles, but intellectually spurn hearing him speak.

• Agree
Reactions: Steven Beck
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is plainly obvious that the Holy Spirit does not internally guide today's believers into all truth because if he did we would all agree with each other! (unless we claim that those who disagree with our particular set of doctrines are not Christians!)
I disagree. The Spirit might say: "You can lead a horse to water..."

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The Spirit of Christ is a seal, that the spirit world and those close to it recognize. It is something I have noticed. He is there whether I like it or not, and a number of times I have not.
But He is there, looking at them, making them feel whatever it is that they feel in the presence of a priest.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK here is the reference: Joel 2:
28 And afterward, I will pour out My Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your old men will dream dreams,
your young men will see visions.

So, as you say all believers have this...

So all believers will Prophesy.

Is this something else the Holy Spirit does being resident in us?
The NT interprets the OT.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agree - anything else ??

“Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” Matthew 7:22–23 (KJV 1900)

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That verse in Corinthians does not speak of that which is perfect being the scriptures. They already had the scriptures that were able to make them perfect through faith , they already had God wiring in them to make them perfect through Jesus Christ, they already had all things which pertain t life and godliness.they also had the ministry to make them perfect ... Eph 4:10,1112,and on.
But they didn’t have their perfect body and see the Lord face to face yet.
Paul says a similar passage here about that “perfect” Aspect.

Consider

“ Philippians 3:11. If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.12. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.13. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,14. I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.15. Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.”

The words “apprehend that for which I am apprehended” are similar to “I may know even as I am known”. The words “apprehend” and “know” are very similar in Greek

apprehend is - possess, perceive attain

the word “know” to perceive, to become fully aquatinted with
The scriptures were still being written making tongues and prophecy necessary until completed.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
“Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” Matthew 7:22–23 (KJV 1900)
If we do not have the Spirit how do we know Him? Are you saying that only those who know the Spirit are saved?

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The scriptures were still being written making tongues and prophecy necessary until completed.
Yes! The story of the Good News is being told in every one who is saved! That is a beautiful thing.

Upvote 0

Steven Beck

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟28,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
Oh Dear, the anti Holy Spirit guy has wandered into the room. Repent Dave L while you still breathe.

Upvote 0