Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have no social life, and that is unlikely to ever change. Apparently, this is unusual. I was wondering if I could ever become a monk. My priest is a monk, and he has traveled to Russia, Georgia, San Francisco, Chicago, and many other places. Sounds like a form of fun to me.
For fun I read novels, watch movies, and especially play videogames. Are monks allowed to do that? What are monks to do in their time? I collect movies and videogames as a hobby. Are monks not allowd to have luxury items?

I was psychologically traumatized a whole lot as a child and grew up in a broken home. I have thought about having a child of my own, but realistically I will probably never get married. I do have a longing to help out others, but am unsure how to go about doing that.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
My uncle, Brother Jerry, just loved to dance but the only real chance for that was at family occasions. He had ten sisters and innumerable nieces. He danced up a storm at my wedding.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think the question often is not what is allowed, but rather what is profitable?

But we also need to remember that nowhere does Orthodoxy say that having fun is inherently evil or forbidden. I was pretty amused by a monk friend of mine who decided to have fun in a swimming pool. He wore his cassock, playing all sorts of games wth the children.

Upvote 0

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think the question often is not what is allowed, but rather what is profitable?

But we also need to remember that nowhere does Orthodoxy say that having fun is inherently evil or forbidden. I was pretty amused by a monk friend of mine who decided to have fun in a swimming pool. He wore his cassock, playing all sorts of games wth the children.
Children wanted to be around Jesus, so I don't think Jesus was all seriousness. Children tend to be very put off by serious adults.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean your priest is a monk ?
@God bless Joshua
Since no one else has answered this question, I will take a shot (...but I have imperfect understanding and am non-Orthodox, so hope someone will correct me if I am wrong)...

In Eastern Orthodoxy, priests can be married but must marry before their ordination. If a priest is not married, they often (or maybe are required?) to take monastic vows as well and are known as “Hieromonks”, so it is not uncommon to have an Orthodox priest who is also a monk.

Reactions: buzuxi02
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I didn't see the question got missed. I'm glad you caught it. :)

I would add -

Monks are monks for life (or are supposed to be). They very commonly (but not always) are ordained as clergy. So many monks become priest-monks (hieromonks). They may remain in a monastery. Some are parish priests.

It's interesting to me because in my (admittedly limited) experience, I find married priests and priestmonks have different strengths and bring different kinds of help to the people.

I would feel awkward at the thought of asking a monk certain questions I'm sure, more so than a married priest, and the married priest has a better understanding (usually) of certain family dynamics and struggles.

But monks usually have more time to pursue prayer and some ascetical practices, and can usually guide people much further in those than most married priests. Ideally we could all have access to both kinds, but that would require a LOT more priests. :)

• Informative
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Depending where you go you wont have time for fun and games. Read books you can do. But there is liturgy everyday, you have to farm including tilling picking by hand the olives and grapes or simply the landscaping, monks try to do some repairs on their monasteries themselves. You may end up being the cook and must prepare the meals for all the monks and pilgrims, etc. Of course someone will have to wash those dishes, if a monk dies you maybe trained on how to bathe the body and prepare it for the funeral and burial..

• Informative
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Depending where you go you wont have time for fun and games. Read books you can do. But there is liturgy everyday, you have to farm including tilling picking by hand the olives and grapes or simply the landscaping, monks try to do some repairs on their monasteries themselves. You may end up being the cook and must prepare the meals for all the monks and pilgrims, etc. Of course someone will have to wash those dishes, if a monk dies you maybe trained on how to bathe the body and prepare it for the funeral and burial..
That makes sense. Monasteries are busy places!!! (At least the few I've seen, which tended to be large pieces of land with few monastics to do so much work!)

Maybe that's why the one I know who travels a lot, hearing confessions and working in missions overseas - is one of the most delightful and "fun" monks I know. I love the short videos he sends because he enjoys meeting people everywhere he goes and having fun with them. Singing and dancing in the street with random (possibly non-believing) persons, who are likewise delighted by his personality, or attracting crowds of children everywhere he goes, who especially delight him as well.

It's beautiful to watch. Just being in his presence or hearing a short remark from him is enough to give food and motive for spiritual meditation for months or years.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yeah, I should add that Fr Sergius is present for the full cycle of services every day, does a lot of work from cleaning to cooking, does all the admin stuff that comes with being abbot, and is hilarious.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

God bless Joshua

Nov 16, 2017
Sabah
✟19,493.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I will probably never get married.

If you pray to God and live in God, He will show you your partner, two are better than one.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their labor:
10 If either of them falls down,
one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
and has no one to help them up.
11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?
12 Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

Upvote 0