What flaw in social security leads to it being "underfunded"

Sep 8, 2012
✟14,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Defining the specific reason behind social security, infrastructure & similar programs being "underfunded" can be done in two sentences or less.

Can anyone define the specific issue with these state run programs.

Its interesting how the majority of people believe they have the answer to fixing healthcare and other issues. When they cannot define the real problems behind things like healthcare and social security being broken.

If anyone posts the correct answer(s) for social security being underfunded I'll acknowledge it.

:oldthumbsup:

GOD Shines Forth!

Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If anyone posts the correct answer(s) for social security being underfunded I'll acknowledge it.

"Mission creep"?

noun : the gradual broadening of the original objectives of a mission or organization

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2012
✟14,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Mission creep"?

noun : the gradual broadening of the original objectives of a mission or organization

Also if anyone wants to know the answer I'll post it.

I could come straight out and say it.

But maybe people feel better not knowing. In which case it would be uncool of me to burst the bubble.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Defining the specific reason behind social security, infrastructure & similar programs being "underfunded" can be done in two sentences or less.Can anyone define the specific issue with these state run programs.Its interesting how the majority of people believe they have the answer to fixing healthcare and other issues. When they cannot define the real problems behind things like healthcare and social security being broken. If anyone posts the correct answer(s) for social security being underfunded I'll acknowledge it.

First, you have to admit you've had other "correct answers" in the past. And likely more in the future.

The problem is that any large fund that could be considered as "savings" or "funding" for social security gets spent by politicians. They will even send us "Surplus Checks" in response to all the media hype about "Surplus" in the budget.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem is that any large fund that could be considered as "savings" or "funding" for social security gets spent by politicians. They will even send us "Surplus Checks" in response to all the media hype about "Surplus" in the budget.
Absolutely ... and not just politicians.

Up until the late 1980's, corporations could spend away their "pension funds" .... leaving nothing for their employees when they retired.

After a rash of pension fund busts in the 1980's, Congress passed a law that pension funds, for the most part, must remain untouched ... so that those monies could allocated to retirees ... as they were promised.

Congress needs to observe the same type of discipline with the Social Security Fund ...

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟287,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

It's a pyramid scheme
The previous level is paid by the level beneath it that is 'recruited in'
But, you had a very big level (baby boomers)
Who then didn't make enough babies (abortion, contraception, etc)
And decided to live longer (increasing life expectancy)
I'm sure inflation is in there somewhere as well
As well as lullabyes

Rock-a-by baby on the tree top,
When the wind blows the cradle will rock;
When the bough breaks the cradle will fall,
Down tumbles baby,
Cradle and all.

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2012
✟14,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Good answer. In the nicest way I could ever imagine anyone saying it.

Social security is "backed" by $1.x trillion in US treasury bond "surplus" which is never spent. This "surplus" which is often referred as a "safety net" for SS is entirely worthless as I think most are aware.

Every year social security taxes are collected. Whenever SS tax collections exceed SS payouts, "excess" collected revenues are diverted towards causes like war in the middle east, that are completely unrelated to SS. Which digs SS into a deeper hole of debt. This trend continued for many decades making SS increasingly unsustainable.

The 1st year where SS liabilities exceeded SS tax collection, which occurred when (if I remember right) Barack Obama was President. US politicians responded by immediately proposing cuts to SS benefits so they could continue to use SS as a cash cow to help fund their special interest spending.

Infrastructure is similar and even worse than SS.

US healthcare is far worse than US infrastructure.

Universal Basic Income is essentially Social Security 2.0. People need not look far to see supporters for UBI which is crazy considering the history of social security and its announced end in the 2030s.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good answer. In the nicest way I could ever imagine anyone saying it.

Social security is "backed" by $1.x trillion in US treasury bond "surplus" which is never spent. This "surplus" which is often referred as a "safety net" for SS is entirely worthless as I think most are aware.

Every year social security taxes are collected. Whenever SS tax collections exceed SS payouts, "excess" collected revenues are diverted towards causes like war in the middle east, that are completely unrelated to SS. Which digs SS into a deeper hole of debt. This trend continued for many decades making SS increasingly unsustainable.

The 1st year where SS liabilities exceeded SS tax collection, which occurred when (if I remember right) Barack Obama was President. US politicians responded by immediately proposing cuts to SS benefits so they could continue to use SS as a cash cow to help fund their special interest spending.

Infrastructure is similar and even worse than SS.

US healthcare is far worse than US infrastructure.

Universal Basic Income is essentially Social Security 2.0. People need not look far to see supporters for UBI which is crazy considering the history of social security and its announced end in the 2030s.
Nice try. But you failed just the same as any politician.

Not two sentences or less. You make the rules, then break them.

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2012
✟14,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nice try. But you failed just the same as any politician.

Not two sentences or less. You make the rules, then break them.

Infrastructure in 2 sentences then.

1. Taxes are collected to maintain roads, water utilities, telecom infrastructure, gas and petroleum infrastructure et al.

2. Every year taxes collected to maintain american infrastructure are instead spent on feminist parades, satanist after school programs, abortions, transexuals having sex change operations and assorted special interest programs leaving infrastructure neglected and underfunded.

So I'm a "politician" now? :ebil:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

1. Taxes are collected to maintain roads, water utilities, telecom infrastructure, gas and petroleum infrastructure.

2. Every year taxes collected to maintain american infrastructure are instead spent on feminist parades, satanist after school programs, abortions, transexuals having sex change operations and assorted special interest spending leaving infrastructure neglected and underfunded.

Lol. You might have your pet peeves, but your peeves are an almost infinitely tiny expense.
More is spent on changing the tires on military jeeps than your pet peeves.
Social programs support the entire diversity of people who exist in our country.
People with purple hair, and people with mullets even.
All of those lefty weirdos - are your neighbors.

Mark 12:31
The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

James 2:8
If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well.

Romans 15:2
Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.

Proverbs 3:29
Do not plan evil against your neighbor, who dwells trustingly beside you.

Matthew 7:12
“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Galatians 5:14
For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Proverbs 25:17-18
Let your foot be seldom in your neighbor's house, lest he have his fill of you and hate you. A man who bears false witness against his neighbor is like a war club, or a sword, or a sharp arrow.

Luke 10:27
And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”

Romans 13:10
Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Luke 6:31
And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

Matthew 19:19
Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Leviticus 19:18
You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.

Leviticus 19:16-18
You shall not go around as a slanderer among your people, and you shall not stand up against the life of your neighbor: I am the Lord. “You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbor, lest you incur sin because of him. You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.

Galatians 6:10
So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

Romans 13:9
For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Proverbs 3:28
Do not say to your neighbor, “Go, and come again, tomorrow I will give it”—when you have it with you.

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Zechariah 8:17
Do not devise evil in your hearts against one another, and love no false oath, for all these things I hate, declares the Lord.”

Romans 12:19
Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”

Matthew 22:39
And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Leviticus 19:13
“You shall not oppress your neighbor or rob him. The wages of a hired servant shall not remain with you all night until the morning.

Luke 10:25-37
And behold, a lawyer stood up to put him to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” He said to him, “What is written in the Law? How do you read it?” And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” And he said to him, “You have answered correctly; do this, and you will live.” But he, desiring to justify himself, said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?” ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miamited

Ted
Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1. Taxes are collected to maintain roads, water utilities, telecom infrastructure, gas and petroleum infrastructure et al.

2. Every year taxes collected to maintain american infrastructure are instead spent on feminist parades, satanist after school programs, abortions, transexuals having sex change operations and assorted special interest programs leaving infrastructure neglected and underfunded.

So I'm a "politician" now? :ebil:

Hi @1rreducibly Complex

While I agree that you seem to think that you have the right answer, I also agree with @SkyWriting that you likely don't.

Most taxes collected for infrastructure maintenance go to state coffers. SS tax collection goes to the federal coffers. You make the claim: are instead spent on feminist parades, satanist after school programs, abortions, transexuals having sex change operations... Got any evidentiary proof that infrastructure taxes, such as tolls and fuel tax go to these events that you proclaim. Personally, it sounds more like 'sour grapes' grandstanding to me. But, if you can prove it, I'd certainly like to read over such proof.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

Will Joseph

Jul 10, 2020
Bronx
✟25,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
transexuals having sex change operations
I don't think taxes pay for sex change operations, at least not in America. A majority of people or representatives would have to vote for that, and I doubt they would. Transsexuals usually just save up money and pay for the operations or have private heslth insurance that might cover the costs.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think taxes pay for sex change operations, at least not in America. A majority of people or representatives would have to vote for that, and I doubt they would. Transsexuals usually just save up money and pay for the operations or have private heslth insurance that might cover the costs.

They do, but not as an open program for just anyone.
Some such programs are covered through military benefits.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2012
✟14,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

There were recent pushes made by american politicians to give illegal immigrants free healthcare and larger stimulus handouts than american citizens are eligible to receive.

They are apparently in love with immigrants and LGBTs.

Obamacare Now Pays for Gender Reassignment

Updated Jul. 12, 2017

The nation’s health law opens the door for transgender people to gain coverage for gender reassignment surgeries they previously could not afford.

They do, but not as an open program for just anyone.
Some such programs are covered through military benefits.

Obamacare funds it for non military. And I think there may have been a few other programs that extended funding to include it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Sep 8, 2012
✟14,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi @1rreducibly Complex

While I agree that you seem to think that you have the right answer, I also agree with @SkyWriting that you likely don't.

Most taxes collected for infrastructure maintenance go to state coffers. SS tax collection goes to the federal coffers. You make the claim: are instead spent on feminist parades, satanist after school programs, abortions, transexuals having sex change operations... Got any evidentiary proof that infrastructure taxes, such as tolls and fuel tax go to these events that you proclaim. Personally, it sounds more like 'sour grapes' grandstanding to me. But, if you can prove it, I'd certainly like to read over such proof.

God bless,
Ted

I have noticed that most of those who disagree with me on topics like social security usually do not follow current events or the news. TV news is both unreliable and unbelievably horrible these days. To stay informed its necessary to read news published on the internet.

There are people in the world who are being bullied, intimidated, threatened and in extreme cases even murdered, for publishing pieces on sensitive topics. Their sacrifice is wasted on the public who does not bother to read what they write.

Here's an example from CNN of democrats proposing illegal immigrants receive free healthcare benefits:

Democrats want to offer health care to undocumented immigrants. Here’s what that means

CNN —
Democrats running for president have said they would support extending government health care coverage to undocumented immigrants – a big shift, since undocumented immigrants currently have little access to federal programs.

They don’t qualify for Medicare, aren’t eligible for federal Affordable Care Act subsidies and generally can’t enroll in Medicaid, which provides coverage for low-income people. Even many green card holders typically have to wait five years before they can enroll in Medicaid – and President Donald Trump has changed immigration policy that could discourage even eligible immigrants from signing up.

What that means, today, is that many undocumented immigrants rely on emergency rooms – which are required under federal law to screen and stabilize all patients who come through their doors – when they get sick.

That ultimately costs the federal government billions in reimbursements to hospitals.

But Americans are divided about providing more comprehensive government-backed coverage to the roughly 11 million undocumented immigrants in the US. Some 59% of Americans say that such coverage should not be available to undocumented immigrants, according to a CNN poll conducted in late June.

Among those who think it should be, there’s a big disparity along party lines. Some 66% of Democrats supporting giving government coverage to the undocumented, but only 10% of Republicans feeling the same way.

Democrats want to offer health care to undocumented immigrants. Here's what that means | CNN Politics

I think if people knew more about current events and what was happening in the news, they might realize everything I said is true. Without me having to dig up sources I read 5 to 15 years ago, that I'll have a hard time finding.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are people in the world who are being bullied, intimidated, threatened and in extreme cases even murdered, for publishing pieces on sensitive topics. Their sacrifice is wasted on the public who does not bother to read what they write.

Hi @1rreducibly Complex

You really need to get a grip on reality. While there may be such goings on in other nations, I don't think you're going to find any evidence of such things happening to people who study and research SS. Although, now that you mention it, I have noticed that a lot of the recipients of SS have died. Hmmmmm.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2012
✟14,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi @1rreducibly Complex

You really need to get a grip on reality. While there may be such goings on in other nations, I don't think you're going to find any evidence of such things happening to people who study and research SS. Although, now that you mention it, I have noticed that a lot of the recipients of SS have died. Hmmmmm.

God bless,
Ted

Ok. Sounds good.

I'm not a fan of factcheck.org or most alleged fact checking websites.

Here's an example of how the US government diverts taxes collected to maintain infrastructure to their pet projects instead.

In this case, Bush allocated taxes which were supposed to maintain new orleans' levee infrastructure towards funding war in the middle east instead. Then hurricane katrina hit:

Is Bush to Blame for New Orleans Flooding?

By FactCheck.org

Posted on September 2, 2005

Some critics are suggesting President Bush was as least partly responsible for the flooding in New Orleans. In a widely quoted opinion piece, former Clinton aide Sidney Blumenthal says that “the damage wrought by the hurricane may not entirely be the result of an act of nature,” and cites years of reduced funding for federal flood-control projects around New Orleans.

Our fact-checking confirms that Bush indeed cut funding for projects specifically designed to strengthen levees. Indeed, local officials had been complaining about that for years.

Blumenthal’s much-quoted article in Salon.com carried the headline: “No one can say they didn’t see it coming.” And it said the Bush administration cut flood-control funding “to pay for the Iraq war.”

Is Bush to Blame for New Orleans Flooding? - FactCheck.org

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's an example of how the US government diverts taxes collected to maintain infrastructure to their pet projects instead.

Hi @1rreducibly Complex

I don't doubt that there aren't hundreds of examples of how the U.S. government diverts taxes from one program to another. Why just a couple of years ago the 'former guy' was taking military funds from earmarked accounts to build his wall. However, that isn't what the post I was responding to was claiming as its point.

I thought I had made it clear, but just in case there was some misunderstanding, my post was responding to a claim that you made:

I don't see anything in that about diversion of taxes. If it had been, I would have agreed, as I did above.

BTW, since you seem to want knowledge concerning how the SS is funded and what happens to the money that comes out of your paycheck each week, here's a good primer: Does Congress raid Social Security?

We all need to understand that there is no 'bank' that our SS payments are put into and the system was always designed that current taxpayers would fund the needs of the current retirees throughout the life of the program. It has always been this way. The problem now is that we have more people eligible for benefits than the current workforce can sustain at the current rate of collection and payments. That will need to be adjusted going forward, but there has never been a SS 'bank' that held the money that was taken out of your paycheck so that 30-40 years down the road you would get back the very same money that you put in 40 years ago.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

KeithAC

Sep 24, 2021
TN
✟3,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Defining the specific reason behind social security, infrastructure & similar programs being "underfunded" can be done in two sentences or less.

Can anyone define the specific issue with these state run programs.

Its interesting how the majority of people believe they have the answer to fixing healthcare and other issues. When they cannot define the real problems behind things like healthcare and social security being broken.

The government borrows too much money from it. As people continue to pay into it, it generates consistent funds, and corporations have been borrowing from pension funds for as long as pension funds have existed.

:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0