Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
If you ask a Protestant what the Church is, they'll probably give a variety of answers, although one of the most common is "all Christians"--this answer, unfortunately, has no Scriptural basis, especially since the application of the term "Christian" has widened considerably over the last two thousand years. Although if we narrowed the definition considerably, then it would be another story.

However, I don't blame Protestants entirely for this, since I can see from the Catholic Catechism that Rome has a likewise humanist understanding of the Church, perhaps that is where Protestantism got it. In defining the Church, the Roman Catechism states,

752 In Christian usage, the word "church" designates the liturgical assembly, but also the local community or the whole universal community of believers. These three meanings are inseparable. "The Church" is the People that God gathers in the whole world. She exists in local communities and is made real as a liturgical, above all a Eucharistic, assembly. She draws her life from the word and the Body of Christ and so herself becomes Christ's Body.

Now it is clear that Rome does understand the Church as the Body of Christ (and so do Protestants), but instead of proceeding from that definition, she ends with it. Which is a problem. Scripture starts from that definition, the Church "is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all." (Ephesians 1:23). Rome starts with the Church as something external to God, which becomes the Body of Christ. In Orthodoxy, the fundamental definition of the Church is God's Body and Fullness. The transformation is rather of the people being united to the Church. This perversion in definition engenders a radically different Roman theology in general, for instance, also from the Catechism,

882 The Pope, Bishop of Rome and Peter's successor, "is the perpetual and visible source and foundation of the unity both of the bishops and of the whole company of the faithful." "For the Roman Pontiff, by reason of his office as Vicar of Christ, and as pastor of the entire Church has full, supreme, and universal power over the whole Church, a power which he can always exercise unhindered."

Now in Orthodoxy, clergy preside in the Church, but the idea of clergy having power over the Church would be sacrilegious, in fact arguably blasphemous.

Further down the line, Catholic ecclesiology seems to have created the idea that the Church can sin. Cardinal Marx, for instance, recently said the Church should apologize for not having been supportive enough of gay rights: Cardinal Marx: Homosexuals deserve an apology from the Church

Now I'm not going to address how inane that is, but I will point out that in Orthodoxy, sin is precisely stepping away from the Church, a sundering from Her. Repentance and Communion as are a rejoining and a repairing of the damage.

The most potent of this dreadful theology can also be found in the Catechism. Concerning the Church, it is said: Here below she knows that she is in exile far from the Lord [769]. This is simply heretical in the highest degree, the Church is the Lord's Body and Fullness, and in joining with it, we become One with him--how is that exile?

So while the Pope and the Filioque might have engendered the Great Schism, it is clear that they are hardly the only things that separate us today. Catholic theology has diverged enormously from Orthodox theology, and saying there are cosmetic similarities like clergy, doesn't mean there is necessarily a lot of common ground.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you ask a Protestant what the Church is, they'll probably give a variety of answers, although one of the most common is "all Christians"--this answer, unfortunately, has no Scriptural basis, especially since the application of the term "Christian" has widened considerably over the last two thousand years. Although if we narrowed the definition considerably, then it would be another story.
The NT speaks of the household of God, though. That is the whole of the disciples of Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
The NT speaks of the household of God, though. That is the whole of the disciples of Christ Jesus.
Christ's Body is God's house, yes. God's house is another name for His Temple.

Whether or not simply identifying as a Christian makes you a part of God's physical and mystical body, is an important question, yes.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Christ's Body is God's house, yes. God's house is another name for His Temple.
I didn't say house. I said household. See Ephesians 2:19--

"So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God...."

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yes,
and clearly before around 200 a.d. or 300 a.d.

YHWH'S WORD identified those who were immersed in Yeshua's Name, followers of Jesus, born again and totally redeemed of their sins (atonement finished),
quite a bit differently than
men did/do.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
and then there's also 1 Timothy 3:15--

"if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth."

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I didn't say house. I said household. See Ephesians 2:19--

"So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God...."
Are you trying to draw a distinction between God's house and his household in the New Covenant? Because if so, that would be another difference in theology here I wouldn't agree with. I also ask that you clarify the distinction.

God's Temple, God's House, God's Household, God's Church, Christ's Bride, Christ's Body, and so on, are all the same from an Orthodox perspective.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
does anyone know what orthodox theology is right now?
no one is in charge
no one can speak for the orthodox
Scripture and our Liturgical texts are considered the definitive statements on our faith.

Who is in charge? The Spirit of Truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

victorinus

catholic
May 15, 2016
usa
✟42,422.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Scripture and our Liturgical texts are considered the definitive statements on our faith.

Who is in charge? The Spirit of Truth.
where are you on:
divorce
abortion
homosexuality

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First and foremost the members of the Church are ALL those properly baptized. That is the traditional belief of the Church and has always been the case. I get there were some near schisms back in the day when some headstrong bishops didn't think schismatics should be considered Christian and need to be re-baptized. But this ideology was nipped in the bud back in the 4th century.

Pope, Bishop of Rome and Peter's successor, "is the perpetual and visible source and foundation of the unity both of the bishops and of the whole company of the faithful." "For the Roman Pontiff, by reason of his office as Vicar of Christ, and as pastor of the entire Church has full, supreme, and universal power over the whole Church, a power which he can always exercise unhindered."

Now in Orthodoxy, clergy preside in the Church, but the idea of clergy having power over the Church would be sacrilegious, in fact arguably blasphemous.
Do you even understand what "power" means in the context of the Church? Does not a bishop in Orthodoxy have the power to remove a heretical priest? Or is this no longer the case? You can't shepherd a flock, if you cannot have some control of where they are going. If a shepherd can't guide the his flock, then he isn't a good shepherd.

Further down the line, Catholic ecclesiology seems to have created the idea that the Church can sin. Cardinal Marx, for instance, recently said the Church should apologize for not having been supportive enough of gay rights: Cardinal Marx: Homosexuals deserve an apology from the Church
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/cardinal-marx-homosexuals-deserve-an-apology-from-the-church Cardinal Marx is a bishop and not THE Church. He is a bishop that have quite a few questionable ideas on where he thinks the Church should go; but he isn't the Church.

Now I'm not going to address how inane that is, but I will point out that in Orthodoxy, sin is precisely stepping away from the Church, a sundering from Her. Repentance and Communion as are a rejoining and a repairing of the damage.
Okay.

The most potent of this dreadful theology can also be found in the Catechism. Concerning the Church, it is said: Here below she knows that she is in exile far from the Lord [769]. This is simply heretical in the highest degree, the Church is the Lord's Body and Fullness, and in joining with it, we become One with him--how is that exile?
Now you are just nitpicking. Did not the Lord Himself tell the Apostles: Jn 13:33 Little children, I shall be with you a little while longer. You will seek Me; and as I said to the Jews, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come,’ so now I say to you.
36 Simon Peter said to Him, “Lord, where are You going?”
Jesus answered him, “Where I am going you cannot follow Me now, but you shall follow Me afterward.”
37 Peter said to Him, “Lord, why can I not follow You now? I will lay down my life for Your sake.”
38 Jesus answered him, “Will you lay down your life for My sake? Most assuredly, I say to you, the rooster shall not crow till you have denied Me three times.
14:1 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.”

Anyway here on earth are not fully in Jesus' presence as we will be in heaven. Like I said nitpicking just it seems to want to start a fight.
So while the Pope and the Filioque might have engendered the Great Schism, it is clear that they are hardly the only things that separate us today. Catholic theology has diverged enormously from Orthodox theology, and saying there are cosmetic similarities like clergy, doesn't mean there is necessarily a lot of common ground.
The Great Schism wasn't caused by either. We have done had this conversation, but if you want to stick with the historical revisionism and remain ignorant then by all means do so.

• Agree
Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
First and foremost the members of the Church are ALL those properly baptized. That is the traditional belief of the Church and has always been the case. I get there were some near schisms back in the day when some headstrong bishops didn't think schismatics should be considered Christian and need to be re-baptized. But this ideology was nipped in the bud back in the 4th century.

Initiation into the Church is a threefold process of baptism, anointing/laying on of hands, and Holy Communion. All steps should of course be accomplished by the Church, but She may accept another party having accomplished the first step, and sanctify it; she is neither forbidden nor compelled regarding this.

Do you even understand what "power" means in the context of the Church? Does not a bishop in Orthodoxy have the power to remove a heretical priest? Or is this no longer the case? You can't shepherd a flock, if you cannot have some control of where they are going. If a shepherd can't guide the his flock, then he isn't a good shepherd.

A bishop can remove any priest, since they are only his representatives. If a bishop must be removed, other bishops do it as agents of the power and authority of the Church, but not as having power and authority over the Church.

Anyway here on earth are not fully in Jesus' presence as we will be in heaven.

We don't believe that, and that in fact goes completely against our most fundamental beliefs.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
That is a good point. The Orthodox can't even agree to get together to have a synod.
We don't believe in holding Ecumenical Councils unless it is to address heresies. Local synods we have all the time, and we have had ecumenical synods before in response to crises of heresy.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
where is that?
Abortion is murder. Homosexuality is sin. Divorce is permissible if it is for a very serious reason, like abuse or adultery, but no more than three marriages are permitted (Pope Sergius III actually got the Bishop of Constantinople deposed for refusing to grant the Emperor a fourth marriage, so we have been more consistent on this issue than you have), even if some of those marriages were dissolved due to the death of a spouse.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I believe in the seven churches as ages...

Ephesus - Messianic - Beginning with the Apostle to the Circumcision, Peter
Smyrna - Martyr - Beginning with the Apostle to the Un-Circumcision, Paul
Pergamos - Orthodoxy formed in this time... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
Thyatira - Catholicism formed in this time - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
Sardis - Protestantism formed in this time- A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
Philadelphia - Wesleyism formed in this time - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
Laodicea - Charismatic movement formed in this time - Beginning with DL Moody, the first to make money off of ministry

So the church is made up of seven generalized congregations, which have thousands of specific congregations below them. In Laodicea the trend is to be non-denominational.

But go thou thy way till the end be: for thou shalt rest, and stand in thy lot at the end of the days. - Daniel 12:13

Key word lot. I believe all Christians, from Messianic to Charismatic, will stand in their lot at that last day.

Upvote 0