Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I own a spiritual warefare bible and towards the end of it there's a list of demons and something called "science fantasy" was in the list. Can someone tell me exactly what that is? I want to know if I'm doing something bad

We wage war not against flesh and blood but against powers and principalities of this world, and we do this with words...

Spiritual warfare Bible huh, well, I'm assuming it's comments make a lot of hasty opinions based on speculation and assumptions of the authors agenda...

Get a regular Bible and read it,

About spiritual warfare, we cannot win by fighting and struggling, so there must be another way, passive resistance maybe in our battle with sin...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

phydaux

Oct 22, 2014
Hudson, NH
✟14,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I own a spiritual warefare bible and towards the end of it there's a list of demons

I don't mean to derail you thread, but I'm totally gonna derail your thread.

When I was a young Christian, a much older & wiser Christian taught me this metaphor. It's a tad crass, but I think it illustrates the idea well:

Rats love garbage. Where ever there is an accumulation of garbage, there eventually is also an accumulation of rats. People see the evidence of the rats, and they think there is a rat problem. But there isn't. There is a garbage problem. Clean up the garbage and the rats will go somewhere else.

And so it is with us. Sin is like garbage. Unclean spirits are like rats.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We wage war not against flesh and blood but against powers and principalities of this world, and we do this with words...

Spiritual warfare Bible huh, well, I'm assuming it's comments make a lot of hasty opinions based on speculation and assumptions of the authors agenda...

Get a regular Bible and read it,

I agree.

About spiritual warfare, we cannot win by fighting and struggling, so there must be another way, passive resistance maybe in our battle with sin...

Your spiritual armor includes a sword. You might say, "Jesus will fight the battle." Remember that Jesus gave you the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit clad you in armor and gave you a sword and shield. He was telling you something there.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

When I was a young Christian, a much older & wiser Christian taught me this metaphor. It's a tad crass, but I think it illustrates the idea well:

Rats love garbage. Where ever there is an accumulation of garbage, there eventually is also an accumulation of rats. People see the evidence of the rats, and they think there is a rat problem. But there isn't. There is a garbage problem. Clean up the garbage and the rats will go somewhere else.

Great parable/explanation, thanks for that.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Rats love food. Garbage is food for them, but so are warehouses for foodstuffs and cargo holds. Rats are well-evolved urban creatures. You find them where you find humans because humans love to store up food.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I agree.

Your spiritual armor includes a sword. You might say, "Jesus will fight the battle." Remember that Jesus gave you the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit clad you in armor and gave you a sword and shield. He was telling you something there.

Why do you think a Christian book named a demon after a book genre?

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do you think a Christian book named a demon after a book genre?

Just go through the threads right here to see why. Too many "Christians" take delight in making the Christian life hard. These neo-ascetics believe that if you do anything other than pray and read the bible, then you are a hell-bound heathen. The look at science fantasy as demonic because they refuse to believe in Christian liberty, which is the underlying theme of the entire gospel. They hate that and want people to suffer in Christ because they don't believe that Christ's sacrifice was enough.

It was sufficient. It was the only sacrifice that was good enough and it was completely good enough. Christians should be dancing in the streets, proclaiming the gospel and not hiding in a book trying to stay away from "the world".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

phydaux

Oct 22, 2014
Hudson, NH
✟14,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Rats love food. Garbage is food for them, but so are warehouses for foodstuffs and cargo holds. Rats are well-evolved urban creatures. You find them where you find humans because humans love to store up food.

Please remember that it's just a metaphor. Even the best metaphors break down and lose their usefulness when stretched to far.

And now to continue my derailleur:

The King James Bible was commissioned after a rejection by the people of the Bishop's Bible then in use by the Church of England.

The Bishop's Bible was a response to the Geneva Bible. The Geneva Bible was an excellent translation into the English of the day, but the margin notes promoted Calvinism very strongly. The Church of England wasn't wholly committed to Calvinism, so they commissioned Bishop's Bible. The Bishop's Bible had it's own margins notes intended to explain to the people what the Bible meant.

The people didn't want margin notes telling them what the Bible meant. They wanted to read the Bible and decide for themselves what it meant. And thus the King James Bible was commissioned.

And so, the King James Bible was in a way a rejection of study bibles. I would very strongly caution anyone not to rely to greatly on the notes & articles in their study bibles.

I am very self indulgent when it comes to my collection of bible handbooks, bible dictionaries, commentaries, atlases, and other helps. But I haven't used a study bible as am daily bible in nearly 30 years.

I do keep a Thompson Chain Reference Study Bible in my preferred translation as a "traveling bible" if I go anywhere away from my library and I think that I might get asked to speak. One of the reasons I choose the Thompson Chain Reference Study Bible is that, while it has a truly exceptional topical reference system that lists topics and collects verses that pertain to that topic, it makes no attempt to say what the meanings are. You are left to read the verses and decide for yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebecca Sue
Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please remember that it's just a metaphor. Even the best metaphors break down and lose their usefulness when stretched to far.

But this one does not break down on technicalities when "stretched too far". It breaks down right away at the idea that rats are attracted to garbage. They'd rather have a big bag of corn.

So the whole metaphor of "get rid of the trash to get rid of the rats" becomes "get rid of food to get rid of the rats". What is the gospel message in that?

Upvote 0