Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What exactly are the standards? That seems to depend totally on who you are and or what party affiliations you have.

Does anyone remember this tragic story?

White teen kicked out of college after N-word video resurfaces

Dec 29, 2020A high school cheerleader had her college "dream" shattered when a black classmate arbitrarily posted a years-old video of her saying the N-word, “Mimi was a kid when she did this,” attorney Shan Wu told Fox News Monday. “She’s appalled, and having said that, she’s not trying to excuse [her actions] in any way.”

“What she lost was her dream,” the lawyer added. “Like many athletes, she had worked most of her young adult life for a shot at going to a great school and being on their team. That was taken away from her in what can only be described as a rush to judgement.”

Now compare that to this:

A Texas county’s Democratic Party rejected the resignation of its chairman Tuesday, days after he described Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) as an “oreo.”

Texas Dems reject resignation of pol calling Sen. Tim Scott 'oreo'

• Informative
Reactions: Danthemailman

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟253,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You seem to want to make a point rather than ask what could be a genuinely vaid question.

I guess you were asking exactly what is acceptable these days. And I'm with you. It's confusing. We have our inbuilt prejudices and we have to work out what's acceptable and what isn't. How should we approach this problem?

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You're using 2 examples with entirely different contexts and claiming that both must be some Democrat hypocrisy, as if anyone is claiming there isn't hypocrisy on both sides

One is a student held to task by a college in applications as to her saying a racial slur, which is problematic in that it would border on a form of doxxing.

The other is an elected representative that's using a term that, while not on the level of the n word, has problematic implications that suggest internalized racism or such, not unlike the term Uncle Tom in its own respect

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What exactly are the standards? That seems to depend totally on who you are and or what party affiliations you have.

Does anyone remember this tragic story?

White teen kicked out of college after N-word video resurfaces

Dec 29, 2020A high school cheerleader had her college "dream" shattered when a black classmate arbitrarily posted a years-old video of her saying the N-word, “Mimi was a kid when she did this,” attorney Shan Wu told Fox News Monday. “She’s appalled, and having said that, she’s not trying to excuse [her actions] in any way.”

“What she lost was her dream,” the lawyer added. “Like many athletes, she had worked most of her young adult life for a shot at going to a great school and being on their team. That was taken away from her in what can only be described as a rush to judgement.”

Now compare that to this:

A Texas county’s Democratic Party rejected the resignation of its chairman Tuesday, days after he described Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) as an “oreo.”

Texas Dems reject resignation of pol calling Sen. Tim Scott 'oreo'
Those two designations are at far different levels of offense.

Most people like oreos ...

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You seem to want to make a point rather than ask what could be a genuinely vaid question.

I guess you were asking exactly what is acceptable these days. And I'm with you. It's confusing. We have our inbuilt prejudices and we have to work out what's acceptable and what isn't. How should we approach this problem?
I think that offense can be measured in terms of "effect" ... and "societal agreement".

As an African-American, I can assure you that there would be radically more offense taken at being called the "N-word", as compared to being called an "oreo" ... and American society seems to agree ...

• Agree
Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Which of those two words can you type on the forums?

Do the standards here "depend totally on who you are and or what party affiliations you have"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Which of those two words can you type on the forums?

Do the standards here "depend totally on who you are and or what party affiliations you have"?
I think that pretty much sums up this thread. Question answered.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟253,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Do they have Oreos in Australia? Do they have Vegemite flavor?

We have them. But gee, they're pretty disgusting as far as I'm concerned. But then I guess Vegemite isn't to everyone's tastes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CatsRule2020

Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2020
Denver
✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think all the anti-white political incorrectness is coming from our overseas Communist 'friends'.

It is more politically correct to throw the term 'oreo' at a black person because it is denigrating white people more so than that black person.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
It is more politically correct to throw the term 'oreo' at a black person because it is denigrating white people more so than that black person.

Hahaha. 'I feel a little bad for Tim Scott, but really... aren't white people the real victims here?'

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You're using 2 examples with entirely different contexts and claiming that both must be some Democrat hypocrisy, as if anyone is claiming there isn't hypocrisy on both sides

One is a student held to task by a college in applications as to her saying a racial slur, which is problematic in that it would border on a form of doxxing.

The other is an elected representative that's using a term that, while not on the level of the n word, has problematic implications that suggest internalized racism or such, not unlike the term Uncle Tom in its own respect
This was not intended to be totally political, the question is how should people react when insults of ruffly equal types are made, it seems to me the girl who was less likely to understand the significance of her comments and possibly thinking she was being cool by speaking like she had heard others in her age group speak got the worst part of the deal when compared to a man who knew exactly what he was doing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
This was not intended to be totally political, the question is how should people react when insults of ruffly equal types are made, it seems to me the girl who was less likely to understand the significance of her comments and possibly thinking she was being cool by speaking like she had heard others in her age group speak got the worst part of the deal when compared to a man who knew exactly what he was doing.
Those aren't roughly equal at all, the n word and oreo in the context used are as different as night and day. I can think of plenty of racial slurs that are equivalent and oreo doesn't necessarily fit into that in the same way banana does for another racial group

I'm not saying the college one was entirely justified, but if you're going to respect the idea that they should have some freedom to discern who they want there (and not have to deal with the similar issues that come about with racial slurs used BY college students at the college, which has happened a lot in my experience), then that decision should be respected: it's why you have backup colleges.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Those aren't roughly equal at all, the n word and oreo in the context used are as different as night and day. I can think of plenty of racial slurs that are equivalent and oreo doesn't necessarily fit into that in the same way banana does for another racial group

I'm not saying the college one was entirely justified, but if you're going to respect the idea that they should have some freedom to discern who they want there (and not have to deal with the similar issues that come about with racial slurs used BY college students at the college, which has happened a lot in my experience), then that decision should be respected: it's why you have backup colleges.
OK let me ask you a serious question, why is it ok for a black person to call another black person the N word but if a white person uses the same term in the same way it is a major issue, I think in her case she was not trying to make a derogatory statement she was repeating what she thought was cool, remember now she was around 14 at the time.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟253,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
OK let me ask you a serious question, why is it ok for a black person to call another black person the N word but if a white person uses the same term in the same way it is a major issue, I think in her case she was not trying to make a derogatory statement she was repeating what she thought was cool, remember now she was around 14 at the time.

Because they took ownership of the term. You haven't been granted permission to use it.

Something similar happened in Australia with immigrants from the south of the Mediterranean. They were derogatorily known as 'wogs' and the term was widely used (which astonished me when I first came here as the term was extremely racist in the UK at the time). But they 'took ownership' of the word and began to refer to themselves as such. To such an extent that the term is now generally used in a light hearted manner. There was even a play written by some Greek comedians called Wogs Out Of Work To be a wog or not to be | Neos Kosmos

Can't see the equivalent happening in the States.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,589.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The fact that you don't refer to Oreo as the "O-Word" should be a clue.

That said, I don't think people should have their life destroyed by saying one wrong thing while on camera.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not so black and white as that, actually.

Some white people do use the N word, ... but if they use it publicly (i.e. outside of their niche), there will likely be consequences.

Black people may also use the N word, and will also face the consequence of their usage of it. The word is rarely used publicly, except in extremely niche commercial ventures. Black people can get into serious (life or death) trouble for using the word to offend their hearers, ... otoh, if its use is intimate ... and not for offense, ... then it can be acceptable to some hearers.

I dare say most of American blacks don't use the word, and its usage is certainly frowned upon socially. Though, once again, there is a small niche of the black population which will use the word (in their social settings) for street cred.

Also, the N word is used, by those blacks who use it non-offensively, as a way to take some of the sting out of the word by taking some control over its usage.

For reasons of personal circumstance, non-blacks cannot claim to use the word in any of these more non-offensive ways. Their usage of it will publicly (i.e. outside of their own circle), will almost always be seen as being offensive, ... and consequences for its use may have to be faced.

It's really not a situation where some may use the word ... and some may not, but that ALL must be prepared to face the social (or personal) cost ... of using the word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0