What emotions does the church bell sound evoke in you?

Anna the Seeker

Oct 27, 2014
✟8,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've noticed that if I listen to the sound of church bells, ignoring the strikes that causes them, I feel like they're almost chanting (if you listen carefully, it does sound a bit like chanting). I think of the history and all the Christian souls that have once passed by this Earth on the way to Heaven.

I may be sensitive or emotional, but this is what I feel. It's very soothing to me. But then again, I experience music in general deeply as well. It easily gets me carried away.

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I like to hear church bells. There is a small Catholic university in my town and on a still night you can hear the tower bells tolling the hours. That sounds very peaceful to me. There is a Methodist church in town that plays recordings of clarion bells playing old revivalist hymns in the late afternoon. Depending on the song they play it either sounds nice or annoys me.

Upvote 0

Anna the Seeker

Oct 27, 2014
✟8,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I like to hear church bells. There is a small Catholic university in my town and on a still night you can hear the tower bells tolling the hours. That sounds very peaceful to me. There is a Methodist church in town that plays recordings of clarion bells playing old revivalist hymns in the late afternoon. Depending on the song they play it either sounds nice or annoys me.
As long it isn't the top chart artists these days, it's alright with me. :oldthumbsup:

When I meant "chanting", it's better heard in the biggest bells.

Microphone is rarely able to catch their sound correctly, though. But I have heard them live.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
There is a small Catholic university in my town and on a still night you can hear the tower bells tolling the hours.

I think I would like to hear those bells. When my Church plays bells they are smaller bells somehow played from the organ.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

NebraskaLuke

Sep 28, 2015
Omaha, NE
✟15,168.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I've always associated them with mourning. The church I grew up in didn't have one, but my grandparents' RCC parish church did, and it tolled after each of their funerals. It was a powerful addition to the moment as we carried their caskets to the hearse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums