Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Philothei, it's interesting you post this as I just read this article a few minutes ago on Yahoo. My wife and I were both scratching our heads.

This generation sure produces some "winners." As my dad would say, "dumb as a fence post"

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I talked about this with my husband a few minutes before I posted it too lol... We were both appalled by this... She got mad cause her boyfriend was taken in for possession so she goes and gets more high :( .... What an illogical way of looking at things and all...Marijuana can make you cause a car accident also I do not get it how she can run away with that one either... and if it is not the same a drunk driving it makes me think why it is not?

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The nature of drug abuse, or any addiction for that matter---when you're happy-use, when you're sad-use, when you're confused-use, when you're outraged-use

People don't want to cope with how tough life can be...so they run to their addiction of choice to cope. Drugs are the worst. It's so sad to see what a monster you can make when you couple drugs with cowardice and selfishness.

I talked about this with my husband a few minutes before I posted it too lol... We were both appalled by this... She got mad cause her boyfriend was taken in for possession so she goes and gets more high :( .... What an illogical way of looking at things and all...Marijuana can make you cause a car accident also I do not get it how she can run away with that one either... and if it is not the same a drunk driving it makes me think why it is not?

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Marijuana can make you cause a car accident also I do not get it how she can run away with that one either... and if it is not the same a drunk driving it makes me think why it is not?

It is the same as drunk driving - she got charged with a DUI. One thing that annoys me about marijuana users is that a lot of them think that driving high is okay (more than people who drink think driving drunk is okay - there are plenty of those, though).

Upvote 0

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know, it's scary that a dangerous drug like alcohol is so readily available. I can remember my dad driving around with me in the car as a child while he was so drunk he could barely talk. How many people are killed every year because of this drug? And we just keep our heads in the sand while it destroys lives.

Why is it we can keep a dangerous drug like marijuana out of people's hands but alcohol is available to anyone who wants to buy it? They should all be controlled! It would save lives.
/sarcasm]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I approve of strong measures against people who drink and drive or who get high and drive. I also support public education campaigns aimed at demonizing driving under the influence. It seems people get the message about drinking, for the most part: they at least know that it's wrong, even if they do it anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I absolutely agree, I've seen the damage all kinds of drug abuse can cause and it's scary how bad our dependence on drugs really is. We take so many and they damage our bodies as well as our souls. Pain meds are getting pretty bad around here as the street drug of choice. Ugh.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,094.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Though it has to be admitted that many folk stick things on the roof of the car while they open the door , then drive off forgetting that a bag of groceries or what-have-you is there .

But a baby in a car seat ??

And the mother who is so clearly under the influence of drugs +/- alcohol - I mean just how could she do it . You can't park a baby seat on the roof and then forget it - or can you ?

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've heard about this happening other times. usually people being dumb, marijuana isn't always the cause. Same as people forgetting their child when they go to work or the mall in the summer and leaving the child to die suffocating in the heat. Lord have mercy! Doing this while partying on any intoxicating substance most definitely adds to the culpability. This was completely avoidably by simple responsibility.

Note in the story, the 19 year old mother's boyfriend was arrested when he was going to get beer. Alcohol isn't problematic in and of itself, neither is marijuana. The way they are used and the unadulterated hedonistic, self-pleasure focus of modernity is the greatest problem here.

That said, marijuana is a drug with significant effects, and needs to be treated with respect. It is one thing for a cancer patient or a chronic pain sufferer to utilize marijuana to ease their suffering, under a doctors care, with a respect and education. It is an entirely different matter for marijuana to be used party aid, or self-prescribed coping mechanism for life.

Having a child requires a level of responsibility. Driving itself requires a level of responsibility.

If one is partying with beer or with marijuana, simply with a child present, and not with a responsible caregiver... Well, no one has a right to abuse or neglect their child. That is a valid reason to remove the rights of the parent. AT LEAST temporarily. Note that when I say partying, I'm not talking about having a beer with dinner.

If one is driving under the influence, regardless of whether they have a child with them or not... Driving is a privilege, not a right. Yea, marijuana intoxication is not conducive to operating heavy machinery any more than being on high doses of opiate medicines is. License can be revoked, fines and jail time can be assessed.

If one is doing both (partying & driving WITH a child). :doh: I only pray the courts make the right decision for the child.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But even so... been intoxicated is not acceptable at all!! And no babies are not forgotten at malls that frequently... And if they are have more chances of survival than placed on the top of car..I know we should not argue semantics here neglect is neglect if you are not cut to be a parent and act responsibly do not become one. Taking illegal or legal medication does demand responsibility I am not arguing any of this. I am not saying one is ok and the other is not. I am saying that youth taking drugs such as marijuana is NOT ok while driving. That driving under the influence is not cool ;)

Reactions: Colleen1
Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
But even so... been intoxicated is not acceptable at all!! And no babies are not forgotten at malls that frequently... And if they are have more chances of survival than placed on the top of car..I know we should not argue semantics here neglect is neglect if you are not cut to be a parent and act responsibly do not become one. Taking illegal or legal medication does demand responsibility I am not arguing any of this. I am not saying one is ok and the other is not. I am saying that youth taking drugs such as marijuana is NOT ok while driving. That driving under the influence is not cool ;)
Yep, never even hinted that I opposed this, in the least. You are absolutely right. :) :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Defense Calls For Mistrial In Mt. Lebanon Fatal Pedestrian Accident Case « CBS Pittsburgh

This has taken place in our town and I know that the High School had a lot of to do with this as the principal is was a bit laxed IMHO about this issue... But I think that now the school has tighten the security and the atmosphere is a bit better regarding illegal drugs. In a meeting with the ex-principle regarding this issue of marijuana usage (I won't go into detail but it was regarding the usage of marijuana in high school ) that me and my husband had he confessed that he was annoyed by the negative reaction of the parents of this type of incident...I was appalled at his reaction as that was big news and a recent grad of that High school... (he graduated this very summer he killed the lady) To make a story short the excuse was of course that we should not 'impose guilt on our children for the accident" and I was fuming at the attitute as our "children" could be next to that victim. When I asked what would it be like if that was his wife he avoided to answer of course :(

Since our new principle took over glad to say a bit of a more strict Catholic I see the articles of the high school paper have swifted to topics like "adoption" and "abstinence" and I am truly happy and relieved :)

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mother Drives With 5-Week-Old on Top of Car | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!

Like we are not forgetful enough today... guh...many times I used to double check when mine was little... But putting this kid on the top of the car?

Unfortunately, the way everything is done for us these days, it's easy to forget....forget responsibility. Because of all the tech advances and such, so that we don't have to remember to turn on and off our car lights, so we don't have to (in some cars) put on our seat belts ourselves, so we don't have to do many things on our own when we used to have to, and there was a feeling of responsibility. Further along we go in the modern world, the less we have to "do," because the computer does it for us, the less we remember how to do things, less responsibility, which, imo, leads to laziness, inattentiveness, and irresponsibility.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.