What Ellen G. White Says About Sabbath Observance

Do you agree with Ellen G. White's statement?

• YES

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • NO

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:
And Matt 19 Jesus said "KEEP the Commandments"

Which gets translated as the fourth commandment,

No it doesn't ... did you read the post sequence include your own statement? -- it gets translated as "Jesus quotes from the Law of Moses when asked about the commandments"

======================

This was the sequence as you are the one that brings up the law of Moses -

MMXX said:
It sounded you were talking about Mosaic law keeping.

Well...Matthew 22:36-40 :)

And Matt 19 Jesus said "KEEP the Commandments"

=================

So then I pointed out that in Matt 19 the only thing Jesus quotes from when saying "Keep the Commandments" was - "the Law of Moses".

I can't be "blamed" for Jesus' teaching.

• Agree
Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Interesting take.

1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.

Do you think we can show love to God when we keep His commandments or not keep them?

Showing love to God I would not want to worship other gods, or bow down to graven images, vain His precious name or not keep His Sabbath day holy.

Is this what you have in mind or something else?
Like that.

In Romans 13, it is said that any commandment is summed up in the saying you shall love your neighbor as yourself, it is further explained that love does not harm their neighbour. A good summary.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Like that.

In Romans 13, it is said that any commandment is summed up in the saying you shall love your neighbor as yourself, it is further explained that love does not harm their neighbour. A good summary.

Yes, that can be summed up by keeping commandments 5-10 which is our moral obligation how we treat and love our neighbor.

How we show love to God is by keeping commandments 1-4.

Our love is fulfilled when we keep these commandments.

• Agree
Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Like that.

In Romans 13, it is said that any commandment is summed up in the saying you shall love your neighbor as yourself,

The commandments pertain to our neighbor (as Paul listst them in Rom 13) sum up into the Lev 19:18 command in the Law of Moses "Love your neighbor as yourself" Lev 19:18 (the SECOND most important)

Rom 13 and Matt 19 leave out the commands that sum up into the command in the Law of Moses that says "Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5 -- and upon these TWO are firmly established ALL of SCRIPTURE ("All the Law AND the prophets" - Matt 22)

That Matt 22 statement by Christ quoting Deut 6:5 in the LAW of Moses did not "delete" the command against taking God's name in vain - it firmly establishes it.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Once you feel that people's views of the commandments of God have been revealed, then it seems like it would then make sense to talk about the rest of the law, imo.

It would if they were able to take that easy part and fully accept it without having any difficulty. Jesus said "I have many MORE things to tell you BUT you cannot bear them now" in John 16. Fire hosing someone who is struggling with the easy part - is not the model of teaching that Christ has given us.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I said SDA sabbath teaching, as in Christians must keep the seventh day sabbath in order to be saved.

Which is not what we find in the quotes from SDA sources you are avoiding - on page ONE of this - your own thread.
post #13

"The testing time has not yet come. There are true Christians in every church, not excepting the Roman Catholic communion." . {Ev 234.2}

We can add this quote each time you make that false accusation if you like. (just so the readers will not be mislead of course. Not saying you don't have free will to ignore all the details you wish)

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that can be summed up by keeping commandments 5-10 which is our moral obligation how we treat and love our neighbor.

How we show love to God is by keeping commandments 1-4.

Our love is fulfilled when we keep these commandments.
The only thing that matters is faith that expresses itself through love.

God is love.

it is written.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The commandments pertain to our neighbor (as Paul listst them in Rom 13) sum up into the Lev 19:18 command in the Law of Moses "Love your neighbor as yourself" Lev 19:18 (the SECOND most important)

Rom 13 and Matt 19 leave out the commands that sum up into the command in the Law of Moses that says "Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5 -- and upon these TWO are firmly established ALL of SCRIPTURE ("All the Law AND the prophets" - Matt 22)

That Matt 22 statement by Christ quoting Deut 6:5 in the LAW of Moses did not "delete" the command against taking God's name in vain - it firmly establishes it.
According to Jesus, the age of the law and of the prophets ended with John the Baptizer.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That does happen sometimes in the SDA area of CF. But as you note we are far more likely to get into those other details once the right understanding is found for the basic TEN.

Actually you can find that here on CE if you look for "unclean animal" or "unclean meat" or "unclean food"

And you can find tons of discussion on Lev 19:18 "Love your neighbor as yourself" and also on Deut 6:5 "Love God with all your heart". - even here on CF. You "search effort" may not be as complete as you appear to indicate in your claims about it.
I did this search for the phrase "unclean animal" in the traditional Adventist forum and its child forums. The most recent use of the phrase was Dec 28, 2017.

Search Results for Query: "unclean animal" | Christian Forums

Then I thought this was an interesting commandment, and it might be interesting to see the last time it was discussed.
Exodus 23:13 And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth.

So I searched for the phrase "the name of other gods". The most recent entry was 2012, though I'm not sure if the search engine was dealing with a phrase in quotes with posts that old or something.

Search Results for Query: "the name of other gods" | Christian Forums

If you have a better search URL, please post it. I'm interested!

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It would if they were able to take that easy part and fully accept it without having any difficulty. Jesus said "I have many MORE things to tell you BUT you cannot bear them now" in John 16. Fire hosing someone who is struggling with the easy part - is not the model of teaching that Christ has given us.
That's fine if you only want to talk about the ten commandments and maybe the first and second greatest commandments with "newbies".

I believe that puts you and me at a kind of impasse: You want to talk about just the 10 or 12, I believe the issues with the theology you put forward won't really show up until we talk about the rest of the laws.

I think it's kind of like this:
Suppose someone was telling me that all you need to work on a car is a few wrenches and screwdrivers, maybe some bailing wire.

But it turned out he only wanted to talk about repairing Ford Model T's. If I brought up examples of a modern car with an onboard computer problem or a malfunctioning cruise control,
he wasn't interested. He just kept talking about how simple cars were to work on.

That would be a similar kind of impasse, imo.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Which is not what we find in the quotes from SDA sources you are avoiding - on page ONE of this - your own thread.
post #13

"The testing time has not yet come. There are true Christians in every church, not excepting the Roman Catholic communion." . {Ev 234.2}

We can add this quote each time you make that false accusation if you like. (just so the readers will not be mislead of course. Not saying you don't have free will to ignore all the details you wish)

Despite what's written in post #13 here, I've seen your group use scripture to tell us we are all going to hell many times. It's been both subtle and blatantly obvious.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe you can find the scripture where un-repented sin and sinners will be saved? The Sabbath is just one of the commandments of God. Breaking any of God's laws is considered sin. 1 John 3:4 Romans 3:20, Romans 7:7 We have time now to repent and turn from our sin and though our faith believe in God, which includes obeying God's commandments.

@BobRyan see Bob, here's one of those posts telling us mainstream Christians that we're going to hell.

But I'll try not to lose sleep over 1% telling the other 99% they're dammed.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You sound like an SDA in disguise. When pray tell did the Orthodox church recognize SDA sabbath teaching as Orthodox? Or even the Protestant church for that matter.

Huh? SDA in disguise? I never said anything regarding SDA. We were discussing the ETHIOPIAN ORTHODOX...

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Not the commandment that John was talking about.

Love God and your neighbor...so when you love, do you not follow the Commandments? Love does not steal, love does not murder, love of God does not worship idols, etc...

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Faith Unites

Mar 25, 2014
✟25,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Despite what's written in post #13 here, I've seen your group use scripture to tell us we are all going to hell many times. It's been both subtle and blatantly obvious.
Just ask them about their basis for the trinity and watch how fast they peddle backwards

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just ask them about their basis for the trinity and watch how fast they peddle backwards

I'll pass. I've decided for the time being to refrain from debating unorthodox fringe theology.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,944.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, if I follow what you're saying, then I agree. When we respect the law, or establish the law as Romans says, that's the opposite of casting it down.

And then we can see the beauty of it

The LORD's Law is perfect, restoring the soul. The LORD's testimony is sure, making wise the simple.

8 The LORD's precepts are right, rejoicing the heart. The LORD's commandment is pure, enlightening the eyes.

9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever. The LORD's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Psalm 19

the whole book speaks to this, one of my favorite examples is when Moses cast his staff/rod down and it became a serpent, but when he picked it back up again ( pick up your cross ) by its tail it became a rod again ...

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

Per the OP's request:

241634_a435e7c864cf3d1d54069d68f79ef38b_thumb.jpg

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.