Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.
-Matthew 10:39

I have a hard time trying to understand this verse. to be honest I've had a hard time most of my life understanding if Jesus is ok with us having fun. I've always thought of Jesus as someone who is very serious and watching our every move, to this day I try to live my life according to what I believe Jesus wants, but is it wrong to have fun here and there? Why do I feel like He doesn't want me to have fun. i'm trying to be set free from some lies that i haven't ever made time to wrestle with and i want these weeds that have grown with the good seed to be uprooted out of my life if they are in fact weeds. Let me know your thoughts on this verse. trust me i understand the basics of this question seem obvious or ridiculous, please don't point that out, rather help me break down this verse and digest it as you'd feed an infant as i am truly trying to find the truth without finding what my itching ears want to hear. thank you for your response

A
Aussie Pete
Jesus came to give us life. It's not an improvement on the life we get from Adam. It is new life that is pleasing to God. The question is no longer "good" or "evil". Christians are well aware that we are supposed to choose good. The question now is "Good or God?" It is more than possible to do good things and yet not be doing what God requires of us.
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I take it that He's saying that if we don't lose our life of natural desires/fulfillments apart from being saved by Christ, then we will lose our life in general in the end. Since our life of natural desires (often sinful) is all we had before faith in Christ, it is based on nothing spiritual.

However, this doesn't mean not having fun. I've seen many members here say that they've tried so hard to live the life God wants them to live, so they gave up everything they enjoyed, stopped watching TV and movies, only go to church functions, only read the Bible, and only talk to Christian people about Christian things, and yet they still feel so empty, and feel that God is not pleased with them, and still feel they haven't done enough. Clearly, what we give up is not entirely what is supposed to give us joy and peace.

Reactions: Sabri
Upvote 0

Sabri

Pentecostal -Apostolic
Nov 20, 2022
Mo
✟32,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
I agree with my fellow sisters and brothers. If you seek Jesus first his kingdom, his righteousness then the other things will be added. So, let go of the earthly treasures that the world says will give you joy and peace. Seek for the true peace in repentance doing good works, seeing after the motherless and widows. Then everything else will fall in line. Yes, laugh and have fun. However, do it in fellowship and purity to Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

I have a hard time trying to understand this verse. to be honest I've had a hard time most of my life understanding if Jesus is ok with us having fun. I've always thought of Jesus as someone who is very serious and watching our every move, to this day I try to live my life according to what I believe Jesus wants, but is it wrong to have fun here and there? Why do I feel like He doesn't want me to have fun. i'm trying to be set free from some lies that i haven't ever made time to wrestle with and i want these weeds that have grown with the good seed to be uprooted out of my life if they are in fact weeds. Let me know your thoughts on this verse. trust me i understand the basics of this question seem obvious or ridiculous, please don't point that out, rather help me break down this verse and digest it as you'd feed an infant as i am truly trying to find the truth without finding what my itching ears want to hear. thank you for your response
This verse is not talking about having fun. Ecclesiastes is a book that talks about life, and our relationship to God.

Ecc 8:15 So I commended enjoyment, because a man has nothing better under the sun than to eat, drink, and be merry; for this will remain with him in his labor all the days of his life which God gives him under the sun.

Ecc 5:18-20 Here is what I have seen: It is good and fitting for one to eat and drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labor in which he toils under the sun all the days of his life which God gives him; for it is his heritage. As for every man to whom God has given riches and wealth, and given him power to eat of it, to receive his heritage and rejoice in his labor—this is the gift of God. For he will not dwell unduly on the days of his life, because God keeps him busy with the joy of his heart.

Ecc 9:7-10 Go, eat your bread with joy, And drink your wine with a merry heart; For God has already accepted your works. Let your garments always be white, And let your head lack no oil. Live joyfully with the wife whom you love all the days of your vain life which He has given you under the sun, all your days of vanity; for that is your portion in life, and in the labor which you perform under the sun. Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going.

In the time of the Bible there was not a lot you could do for enjoyment, except for eating, and drinking. God commends enjoyment, or wants us to enjoy our lives. It is actually our heritage, a thing God gives us.

However we must always remember God in all of our enjoyment of life.

Ecc 11:9 Rejoice, O young man, in your youth, And let your heart cheer you in the days of your youth; Walk in the ways of your heart, And in the sight of your eyes; But know that for all these God will bring you into judgment.

We must remember God, spend time with Him, be thankful for our lives.

Ecc 7:14 In the day of prosperity be joyful, But in the day of adversity consider: Surely God has appointed the one as well as the other, So that man can find out nothing that will come after him.

The verse you shared comes into play when we need to make hard decisions, to follow Jesus even in the hard times. God generally will give us good, but Satan may test us, in those times we must remain thankful to God, even if we lose the good things for a season.

The Bible tells us to seek first the Kingdom of God, and all other things will be added. Even in our enjoyment of life, we must seek to put God first, by never neglecting to spend time with Him. If we just spend time in "fun", and none on God we will get weak Spiritually, we need to put God first, but not fear having fun.

Mark 14:38 Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟398,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
This verse is not talking about having fun. Ecclesiastes is a book that talks about life, and our relationship to God.

Ecc 8:15 So I commended enjoyment, because a man has nothing better under the sun than to eat, drink, and be merry; for this will remain with him in his labor all the days of his life which God gives him under the sun.

Ecc 5:18-20 Here is what I have seen: It is good and fitting for one to eat and drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labor in which he toils under the sun all the days of his life which God gives him; for it is his heritage. As for every man to whom God has given riches and wealth, and given him power to eat of it, to receive his heritage and rejoice in his labor—this is the gift of God. For he will not dwell unduly on the days of his life, because God keeps him busy with the joy of his heart.

Ecc 9:7-10 Go, eat your bread with joy, And drink your wine with a merry heart; For God has already accepted your works. Let your garments always be white, And let your head lack no oil. Live joyfully with the wife whom you love all the days of your vain life which He has given you under the sun, all your days of vanity; for that is your portion in life, and in the labor which you perform under the sun. Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going.

In the time of the Bible there was not a lot you could do for enjoyment, except for eating, and drinking. God commends enjoyment, or wants us to enjoy our lives. It is actually our heritage, a thing God gives us.

However we must always remember God in all of our enjoyment of life.

Ecc 11:9 Rejoice, O young man, in your youth, And let your heart cheer you in the days of your youth; Walk in the ways of your heart, And in the sight of your eyes; But know that for all these God will bring you into judgment.

We must remember God, spend time with Him, be thankful for our lives.

Ecc 7:14 In the day of prosperity be joyful, But in the day of adversity consider: Surely God has appointed the one as well as the other, So that man can find out nothing that will come after him.

The verse you shared comes into play when we need to make hard decisions, to follow Jesus even in the hard times. God generally will give us good, but Satan may test us, in those times we must remain thankful to God, even if we lose the good things for a season.

The Bible tells us to seek first the Kingdom of God, and all other things will be added. Even in our enjoyment of life, we must seek to put God first, by never neglecting to spend time with Him. If we just spend time in "fun", and none on God we will get weak Spiritually, we need to put God first, but not fear having fun.

Mark 14:38 Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."
Thanks, this truly was helpful. Right now i'm having difficulty in finding balance and ignoring the negative thoughts not of God. Life's just been a lot but Jesus has never left me

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There are two types of death. One physical the other spiritual aka the "second death". So who ever finds the physical life more valuable than the spiritual everlasting life will lose altogether and suffer the second death however, if one does not value physical life over spiritual life they will gain everlasting life in the Kingdom of God. That being said God is not a kill joy, He simply wants us to know that the short time we are here on earth is nothing compared to the everlasting life we will have with Him.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

It is in the context of the chapter preceding the verse.

Finding or losing life appears to be referring to a theme similar to the old saying "get a life."

It's saying, even if you lose everything important in the present world, you will gain a life in the new kingdom of God that is ... to come.

Upvote 0

Brad D.

A Way Unknown
Aug 22, 2022
US
✟106,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think just you being drawn to that verse says a lot about you and your desire to be pleasing to the Lord. Praise God! Besides the atoning work of the blood, there may be no greater scripture we can focus on from that day forward. In that verse lies the entire Christian experience as Christ desired it.

Christ Himself showed us the meaning of that verse by the example of His own life. "I do nothing out of my own initiative, only that which I see my Father doing." "If you have seen me, You have seen the Father" He emptied Himself. He gave up all rights to Himself. He did nothing that the Father did not do. Even to death on a cross. And then He told us to "pick up our own cross and follow Him."

Christianity is not a list of dos and don'ts. Christianity is Christ. That is the only balance you will ever find. To try and be perfect will drive you to madness. To begin to be careless will drive you over the Cliff. To give up all rights to yourself will lead you to Christ. Whatever is done in Him can never be wrong. "Where I am, there my servant will also be." When we come into that we will come into all the balance we will ever need.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

For some reason when reading your OP, I had this scripture come to mind.
I think once we are born again and are a "new creation" in Christ, we don’t want the things of the world that we use to want any more.
It's not to say we can't "have fun", or be happy, but it's the "joy if the Lord" that surpasses any happiness we may have found in worldly things.
Does this make sense?

Mark 10:13-16

Jesus Blesses the Children

13 One day some parents brought their children to Jesus so he could touch and bless them. But the disciples scolded the parents for bothering him.

14 When Jesus saw what was happening, he was angry with his disciples. He said to them, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children. 15 I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn’t receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it.” 16 Then he took the children in his arms and placed his hands on their heads and blessed them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟398,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
For some reason when reading your OP, I had this scripture come to mind.
I think once we are born again and are a "new creation" in Christ, we don’t want the things of the world that we use to want any more.
It's not to say we can't "have fun", or be happy, but it's the "joy if the Lord" that surpasses any happiness we may have found in worldly things.
Does this make sense?

Mark 10:13-16

Jesus Blesses the Children

13 One day some parents brought their children to Jesus so he could touch and bless them. But the disciples scolded the parents for bothering him.

14 When Jesus saw what was happening, he was angry with his disciples. He said to them, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children. 15 I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn’t receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it.” 16 Then he took the children in his arms and placed his hands on their heads and blessed them.
Yes, I've found that the things that once brought me joy pale in comparison to spending time with Jesus

Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

port41919

Oct 31, 2022
Williamsport
✟9,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
He that findeth his life shall lose it,.... That man that seeks to preserve his life, and the temporal enjoyments of it, by a sinful compliance with his friends and the world, and by a denial of Christ, or non-confession of him; if he is not, by the providence of God, deprived of the good things of life, and dies a shameful death, both which are sometimes the case of such persons; yet he is sure to lose the happy and eternal life of his soul and body, in the world to come: so that the present finding of life, or the possession of it, on such sinful terms, will in the issue prove an infinite and irreparable loss unto him. On the other hand, Christ observes,
he that loseth his life for my sake, shall find it. That man that is willing to forego the present advantages of life, to suffer reproach and persecution, and lay down his life cheerfully for the sake of Christ and his Gospel, for the profession of his name, rather than drop, deny, conceal, or neglect any truth and ordinance of his, shall find his soul possessed of eternal life, as soon as separated from his body; and shall find his corporal life again, in the resurrection morn, to great advantage; and shall live with Christ in soul and body, in the utmost happiness, to all eternity.

It is my hope that Jesus and the apostles had a lot of laughs. If you have ever watched "Mash" you see how important having fun is when you are fighting battles whether physical or spiritual. Go have good, clean fun!

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟398,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
He that findeth his life shall lose it,.... That man that seeks to preserve his life, and the temporal enjoyments of it, by a sinful compliance with his friends and the world, and by a denial of Christ, or non-confession of him; if he is not, by the providence of God, deprived of the good things of life, and dies a shameful death, both which are sometimes the case of such persons; yet he is sure to lose the happy and eternal life of his soul and body, in the world to come: so that the present finding of life, or the possession of it, on such sinful terms, will in the issue prove an infinite and irreparable loss unto him. On the other hand, Christ observes,
he that loseth his life for my sake, shall find it. That man that is willing to forego the present advantages of life, to suffer reproach and persecution, and lay down his life cheerfully for the sake of Christ and his Gospel, for the profession of his name, rather than drop, deny, conceal, or neglect any truth and ordinance of his, shall find his soul possessed of eternal life, as soon as separated from his body; and shall find his corporal life again, in the resurrection morn, to great advantage; and shall live with Christ in soul and body, in the utmost happiness, to all eternity.

It is my hope that Jesus and the apostles had a lot of laughs. If you have ever watched "Mash" you see how important having fun is when you are fighting battles whether physical or spiritual. Go have good, clean fun!
thanks man

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What Matthew 10:39 is speaking of is humility. Another bible verse that relates is Matthew 11:29, "take my yoke upon you, and LEARN of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest in unto your souls.

Whoever finds their life will loose it - means failing to conforming to being humble in spirit in any given situation. We are not to puff ourselves up, behave unseemly, seek our own, think evil, vaunt ourselves, be easily provoked, 1 Corinthians 13:4-6.

Whoever loses their life for my sake will find it - means we are to be humble in spirit, that we are meek and lowly in heart like Christ (WE MUST LEARN THIS). That we are to rejoice in the truth, bear all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endure all things. 1 Corinthians 13:6-7.

1 Corinthians 13 is speaking of Charity. Charity is the essence of the Fruit of the Spirit that's listed in Galatians 5:22-23, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance.

To walk in Charity, the fruit of the Spirit, we must loose our lives. No man can walk in the Fruit of the Spirit because it is the Power of God given to us, 2 Timothy 1:7. For that Power to operate in us, we must loose our life, Matthew 10:39, that is become like little children, Matthew 18:3, that is become meek and lowly, Matthew 11:29.

In order to find our life we must become as humble as a child, which is also the weakness Apostle Paul spoke about, so that the Power of Christ can rest on us to enable us to walk in God's Power, 2 Corinthians 12:9.

In our meekness, which is in our weakness, which is in our humility, (in any given situation), we experience the flow of God's Spirit in our lives, which works Miracles, Galatians 3:5. We than operate in Power.

We don't have to fight with circumstances or even old lies told to us by people, Ephesians 6:12, we just obey and LEARN to become meek and lowly, meek and humble in the circumstance. God then will do the rest by His Spirit. When God sees our humility, the humility of Christ, He alters situations to our benefit for Christ sake.

Ask God how to position yourself to learn how to walk meek and lowly, in humility like Christ. He will show you!

May God bless you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Another example of loosing our life to find it is in Isiah 7. God gave a message to Ahaz. God told Ahaz to take heed, and be quiet; fear not, neither be fainthearted...Isaiah 7:4, that the fierce anger of Rezin with Syria, and the son of Remaliah would not stand, Isaiah 7:7.

But God said that if Ahaz did not believe he would not be established, Isaiah 7:9. Our loosing our lives is to believe God and be obedient, so we LEARN to be quiet in our hearts before Him, that is we stand in humility, meekness, and lowliness before the Lord in our spirit, and thus we received the same promises. We are obedient when we can LEARN to quiet our hearts, fears, and believe God. God then blesses us in Christ Jesus.

Maybe someone has a suggestion on different ways to quiet our minds and hearts before the Lord.

I have sometimes sat quietly before the Lord, and quieted my mind, and spirit. There have been many blessings from this practice. However, what I need is to learn to continue this practice daily. But resting in God in quietness is a requirement for our strength, Isiah 30:15.

May God bless you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟398,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
What Matthew 10:39 is speaking of is humility. Another bible verse that relates is Matthew 11:29, "take my yoke upon you, and LEARN of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest in unto your souls.

Whoever finds their life will loose it - means failing to conforming to being humble in spirit in any given situation. We are not to puff ourselves up, behave unseemly, seek our own, think evil, vaunt ourselves, be easily provoked, 1 Corinthians 13:4-6.

Whoever loses their life for my sake will find it - means we are to be humble in spirit, that we are meek and lowly in heart like Christ (WE MUST LEARN THIS). That we are to rejoice in the truth, bear all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endure all things. 1 Corinthians 13:6-7.

1 Corinthians 13 is speaking of Charity. Charity is the essence of the Fruit of the Spirit that's listed in Galatians 5:22-23, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance.

To walk in Charity, the fruit of the Spirit, we must loose our lives. No man can walk in the Fruit of the Spirit because it is the Power of God given to us, 2 Timothy 1:7. For that Power to operate in us, we must loose our life, Matthew 10:39, that is become like little children, Matthew 18:3, that is become meek and lowly, Matthew 11:29.

In order to find our life we must become as humble as a child, which is also the weakness Apostle Paul spoke about, so that the Power of Christ can rest on us to enable us to walk in God's Power, 2 Corinthians 12:9.

In our meekness, which is in our weakness, which is in our humility, (in any given situation), we experience the flow of God's Spirit in our lives, which works Miracles, Galatians 3:5. We than operate in Power.

We don't have to fight with circumstances or even old lies told to us by people, Ephesians 6:12, we just obey and LEARN to become meek and lowly, meek and humble in the circumstance. God then will do the rest by His Spirit. When God sees our humility, the humility of Christ, He alters situations to our benefit for Christ sake.

Ask God how to position yourself to learn how to walk meek and lowly, in humility like Christ. He will show you!

May God bless you!
I appreciate the lesson on meekness. I guess i always took at face value the verse to mean don't find your life in worldly things, for if you find your life in the things of this world you will lose your life in Heavenly things.

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate the lesson on meekness. I guess i always took at face value the verse to mean don't find your life in worldly things, for if you find your life in the things of this world you will lose your life in Heavenly things.
We are commanded to love not the world or else the LOVE OF THE FATHER is not in us, 1 John 2:12. But what sets the believer apart from the world is not our own ability to love not the world, but that the believer has been given the POWER (2 Timothy 1:7) to love not the world through the Holy Spirit. A believer is told to put on the NEW MAN, and must put off the old man. Putting off the old man is the humbling process. A believer walking in the new man expresses the LOVE OF THE FATHER automatically, and this Love is none other than the Holy Spirit. When we are commanded to walk in the Spirit, it is the same as the command to put on the new man. To put the new man on is just like being offered a new garment to wear.

Just like the scripture that speaks of the man who was at the wedding feast without a wedding garment, Matthew 22:8. God was not pleased. This is because although the man appeared to be a believer, and was permitted in the feast, he did not posses the correct garment. That garment is the fruit of the Spirit.

This relates to those who appeared as though they did not follow the world in 1 Corinthians 13. There were those who bestowed all their goods to the poor, gave their bodies to be burned, understood all mysteries, had faith and the gift of prophecy, yet they lack Charity, which is the fruit of the Spirit, the new man. So, so according to scripture, those without the fruit of the Spirit, which is the result of having the Holy Spirit, profits nothing to God.

Because we did not possess the new man in the beginning, as we (the old man) have been crucified with Christ, we have no power to produce the requirements of the new man, as we are dead (Colossians 3:3). Therefore, we must put the old man off, and put the new man on as a coat or a covering if you will, because we are given the new man as a gift of God's grace to conform us to the image of God's Son to express Jesus in us, which is meekness, and lowliness, which are the fruit of Spirit that the Husbandman waits for and desires. James 5:7 says, "...Behold the Husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patients for it..."

We, the believer are to produce fruit (by the Holy Spirit) for the Husbandman, who is God. Believers then are the first fruits unto God and Jesus, James 1:18.

Revelations 14:4, says,"...These were redeemed from among men, being the first fruits unto God and to the Lamb.

It is the Holy Spirit that brings about the new man that produces fruit. God has given the believer His Seed, which is the Holy Spirit whereby we have been sealed, which is a down payment of our inheritance, Ephesians 1:13-14. This Seed is what makes us heirs to the Kingdom, New Jerusalem which cometh down as a bride. Christ is the firstfruit unto God, and we are the firstfruits afterwards at his coming, 1 Corinthians 15:23.

God has established a way to call us His Children by giving us His Spirit through Christ Jesus, the same Spirit that Christ posses, and that raised Christ from the dead. This same Spirit will raise the believer from the dead. The Holy Spirit is the correct wedding garment, and to have the correct wedding garment means we cannot be conformed to the world.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟398,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
We are commanded to love not the world or else the LOVE OF THE FATHER is not in us, 1 John 2:12. But what sets the believer apart from the world is not our own ability to love not the world, but that the believer has been given the POWER (2 Timothy 1:7) to love not the world through the Holy Spirit. A believer is told to put on the NEW MAN, and must put off the old man. Putting off the old man is the humbling process. A believer walking in the new man expresses the LOVE OF THE FATHER automatically, and this Love is none other than the Holy Spirit. When we are commanded to walk in the Spirit, it is the same as the command to put on the new man. To put the new man on is just like being offered a new garment to wear.

Just like the scripture that speaks of the man who was at the wedding feast without a wedding garment, Matthew 22:8. God was not pleased. This is because although the man appeared to be a believer, and was permitted in the feast, he did not posses the correct garment. That garment is the fruit of the Spirit.

This relates to those who appeared as though they did not follow the world in 1 Corinthians 13. There were those who bestowed all their goods to the poor, gave their bodies to be burned, understood all mysteries, had faith and the gift of prophecy, yet they lack Charity, which is the fruit of the Spirit, the new man. So, so according to scripture, those without the fruit of the Spirit, which is the result of having the Holy Spirit, profits nothing to God.

Because we did not possess the new man in the beginning, as we (the old man) have been crucified with Christ, we have no power to produce the requirements of the new man, as we are dead (Colossians 3:3). Therefore, we must put the old man off, and put the new man on as a coat or a covering if you will, because we are given the new man as a gift of God's grace to conform us to the image of God's Son to express Jesus in us, which is meekness, and lowliness, which are the fruit of Spirit that the Husbandman waits for and desires. James 5:7 says, "...Behold the Husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patients for it..."

We, the believer are to produce fruit (by the Holy Spirit) for the Husbandman, who is God. Believers then are the first fruits unto God and Jesus, James 1:18.

Revelations 14:4, says,"...These were redeemed from among men, being the first fruits unto God and to the Lamb.

It is the Holy Spirit that brings about the new man that produces fruit. God has given the believer His Seed, which is the Holy Spirit whereby we have been sealed, which is a down payment of our inheritance, Ephesians 1:13-14. This Seed is what makes us heirs to the Kingdom, New Jerusalem which cometh down as a bride. Christ is the firstfruit unto God, and we are the firstfruits afterwards at his coming, 1 Corinthians 15:23.

God has established a way to call us His Children by giving us His Spirit through Christ Jesus, the same Spirit that Christ posses, and that raised Christ from the dead. This same Spirit will raise the believer from the dead. The Holy Spirit is the correct wedding garment, and to have the correct wedding garment means we cannot be conformed to the world.
Very well then thank you for that lesson you live up to your name. Though i will admit it was a lot to read and i'm not sure i absorbed all of it

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is my take on it. Everything we build upon in this world will be lost. If you have a multi-billion dollar empire on earth with thousands of subordinates and tons of special VIP privileges etc, you lose all of it. Whatever you do for Christ's sake, for the sake of the Kingdom of God, your servitude to God, you take with you into the next life.

19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully. 17 And he thought within himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?’ 18 So he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods. 19 And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.” ’ 20 But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’ Luke 12:16-20

For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? Matthew 16:26

Reactions: nhisname
Upvote 0

nhisname

Dec 21, 2020
SW MO
✟28,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I have a hard time trying to understand this verse. to be honest I've had a hard time most of my life understanding if Jesus is ok with us having fun. I've always thought of Jesus as someone who is very serious and watching our every move, to this day I try to live my life according to what I believe Jesus wants, but is it wrong to have fun here and there? Why do I feel like He doesn't want me to have fun. i'm trying to be set free from some lies that i haven't ever made time to wrestle with and i want these weeds that have grown with the good seed to be uprooted out of my life if they are in fact weeds. Let me know your thoughts on this verse. trust me i understand the basics of this question seem obvious or ridiculous, please don't point that out, rather help me break down this verse and digest it as you'd feed an infant as i am truly trying to find the truth without finding what my itching ears want to hear. thank

Upvote 0