• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

What does the Word say?

Discussion in 'Non-denominational' started by solo66 man, Feb 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solo66 man

solo66 man Well-Known Member

+2
    We all know at least one who refuses to listen to even the irrefutable truth and turns a deaf ear to the only written Word of God. Should we continue to associate with that one?
    According to the Apostle Paul in a letter to the
    Corinthians, we should not.

In 1 Corinthians 5: he says

4 When you are assembled in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present,

5 hand this man over to Satan, so that the sinful nature may be destroyed and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord.

6 Your boasting is not good. Don't you know that a little yeast works through the whole batch of dough?

7 Get rid of the old yeast that you may be a new batch without yeast--as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.

8 Therefore let us keep the Festival, not with the old yeast , the yeast of malice and wickedness, but with bread without yeast, the bread of sincerity and truth.

9 I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people--

10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world.

11 But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?

13God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you."

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. solo66 man

+2
  3. Optimus_P

Optimus_P Super Umpa Lumpa

+1
    BUT Christ said love your neighbor. This was a direct order for the Lord. Peter has said a large number of things, which are also important. But remember, we should pray for those who set out to hurt/kill us and to turn the other cheak.

That is also saying to effect dont assosicate w/ sinners. but i would say dont be cohurst from the truth, follow what the Lord says above all, befriend even the stranger and the alien and leave the judgeing to the Judge.

4. solo66 man

+2
    Remember, we are to follow the whole word of God. All the Bible is the Word; not only what Jesus said. And remember also, Jesus
    handed Peter over to Satan to be sifted.
    Because we hand them over to Satan to be sifted does not mean we stop loving them nor do we stop praying for their salvation.
    It is a last chance. It is for those who refuse to learn because they insist on listening to themselves and/or other things instead of the teaching that comes for God. They refuse to quit sinning.

5. edjones

edjones Active Member

+0
    Titus 3:10
    A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; ( or don't waste your time on him anymore )

Matthew 22
    36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
    37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    38 This is the first and great commandment.
    39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

6. StogusMaximus

StogusMaximus Well-Known Member

+7
    Protestant
    "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" 2 Corinthians 6:14

There are people who think that the Great Commission means that we must bring the Word to everybody, and the everybody must be saved. I don't. I think our job is to spread the Word, to let people know about Jesus and the path to salvation. It is then up to them to either take that knowledge and seek and serve the Lord, or to turn their backs on Jesus. If they turn to Christ, then we should befriend them and nurture them, if they turn their backs, we should not associate with them. We have done our part by sharing the Word of God with them, and if they want no part of it, then there is no reason for us to be friends with them. Their choice to lead a sin filled life will only hurt us.

7. Optimus_P

+1
    Stogus i agree w/ part of what you say but let me ask you this.

by turning there back on Christ is in effect sinning, how many times should they be forgiven? befor you turn you back?

8. StogusMaximus

+7
    Protestant
    By turning their back on Christ they are sinning against God, and God will forgive them as soon as they turn their backs on sin and seek Christ.

As for us, they are not sinning against us, and I don't think we have anything to forgive them for. We should explain what God wants for them, we should explain what Jesus did for them. Once we have accomplished that we have done what God has asked us to do. If they decide to turn their back on Christ, it is not our place to forgive them for that. I think we should move on to teach others and encourage and nurture those who do accept Christ.

If a week or a year later that person who denied Christ, and whom you have turned your back on comes to you and says he wants to know Christ, you should take that person to your heart and share the Word of God with them.

9. Rob

Rob Regular Member

+1
    Some people simply need to bottom out before they will see the light. We are to be the light of the world as Christians. We do that through our example more so than in anything we say. I found myself distanced from some friends after being saved. It was more a matter of me not wanting to be involved in the partying as much as anything. After a while they asked me about it and then I was able to witness to more open hearts. Had I gone out partying with them and tried to witness it would have been much less effective.

10. filosofer

filosofer Senior Veteran

+287
    Lutheran
    And in line with Matthew 18, if the person is put "outside the fellowship" the person becomes part of the mission field.

11. Optimus_P

+1
    i think i prolly used poor wording in my last post stogus.

This concept i do agree on. altho i do not know i would turn my back (to me that would be liek forsakeing them because they cant see what i see) I think you said it better here then what i was attempting to say tho.

12. StogusMaximus

+7
    Protestant
    Optimus_P,

I knew what you were saying, and I knew you were thinking of Matthew 18:21-23.

Peter was asking how many times we forgive somebody who sins against us. The answer is we should always forgive. Yet by this person turning his back to Christ, he is sinning against God and it is up to Him to forgive this person, and that will not happen until that person turns to Christ and asks for forgiveness.

13. Optimus_P

+1
    back to the topic at hand tho.

solo i have a friend that is adamently is agenst religion, and has public spoken out agenst God to me.

I listen to his words, but i dont follow what he says. All i can do is be a liveing proof that God does exhist and he works GREAT wonders. through example i could hopefully sway him to reconsider his thoughts. Not that i am sin free but monkey see monkey do. ya know what i mean.

14. solo66 man

+2
    The monkey see monkey do part is why Paul admonishes us not to hang out with those who reject God or Christ. The idea is you reject the rejector and thereby cause him to reexamine his ways.

15. MatthewDiscipleofGod

MatthewDiscipleofGod Senior Veteran

+261
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Yeah this part of God's word is hard to follow. To serperate yourself from a person that lives that type of lifestyle listed in the passage and rejects God. Specially if you were born again have currently have some close Athiest friends who do some of those things. One of my closest friends still falls into this catagory. I been asking God on what to do, it's so hard to listen to him when I have my own emotions making it's own noise. I know he can find God and I have been geting him to open up more and he is a good person beside some of the actions he partakes in. But I do agree with what Stogus has to say. It's just tuff to do for some us to do.

16. StogusMaximus

+7
    Protestant
    It is very hard to give up a friendship. I know because I have given up 3. I am basically friends with my wife and the Lord, everybody else I classify as co-workers or acquaintances. It is a difficult decision to abandon somebody, and I am not saying that you do it lightly, but examine your life, put your priorities in order. I looked at my life and saw that I was more apt to sin when I was hanging out with my friends. I also noticed that my friends were not interested in knowing Jesus. I admit that I did not immediately break off my friendships, but I slowly walked away. I am sad to say I don't think they have changed any, but I must admit that I have.

I don't know where I heard this explained before, but if you take a glass of water and a drop of dye and mix them. The water won't purify the dye, but the dye will contaminate the whole glass of water. You as a Christian are the water, your focus is on Christ, your friends living in sin are the dye. If you mix with them, you will most likely become colored water. The only way for them to turn from dye to water is when they hit bottom and realize they need Christ, at that point the Holy Spirit will turn their dye to water.

17. solo66 man

+2
    That is so correct Stogus, God wants us as unblemished lambs.
    It is so hard to give up friends. I still miss a couple of them when I think of them. Then I pray a little for them.

18. solo66 man

+2
    We need to give them up for us and for them.

19. edjones

edjones Active Member

+0
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.