kentucky
✟24,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hello: my family has been having informal Bible studies once a week. we just get together and pray, then read two or three chapters. because i have read the Bible more and longer than anyone in the group, i am more or less the "teacher". Next week, we are going to begin a study of the Gospel of John and i am studying up on it.

i realized that i simply do not have a very good understanding of the meaning (or meanings) of what is communicated by the phrase "the Word". so my post is simply, "What have you learned about this?"

all thoughts are welcome, and i thank you in advance.

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,460.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." John 1:14

"And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God." Rev 19

The Bible - both of Old and New Testament "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:" II TIM

"And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God." Luk 4:4 In this Scripture, bread has different meaning "And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst." Joh 6

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Heb 4:12

"Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him." Pro 30

"then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Rom

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:" Eph 6

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I believe Jesus is called the Word because He speaks the words of God. He is the Theophany of the Old Testament. When God spoke in the Old Testament it was the Being who became Jesus Christ speaking. In the gospel of John, Jesus Himself is seen declaring that His words are the Words of God the Father.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,244.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello: my family has been having informal Bible studies once a week. we just get together and pray, then read two or three chapters. because i have read the Bible more and longer than anyone in the group, i am more or less the "teacher". Next week, we are going to begin a study of the Gospel of John and i am studying up on it.

i realized that i simply do not have a very good understanding of the meaning (or meanings) of what is communicated by the phrase "the Word". so my post is simply, "What have you learned about this?"

we are ....

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

It is my understanding that "the Word" is God Himself and all that He specifically instructs us in the Bible. Yeshua (Jesus) is the Word (John 1:1-5) that lived and dwelt among us demonstrating for us how to live it out.

God's Word cannot be undone, not even by God Himself because then God would be going against Himself and that is impossible. That is why Yeshua did what He did on the cross because God had set it up that we all must be punished for our sin. God could not undo that "word" so He provided another means that the word could be satisfied as long as we put our trust in the shed blood of Yeshua.

Reactions: RickReads
Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There are two distinct meanings, simply stated in these two entries from Easton's Bible Dictionary-

Word of God
(Heb 4:12, etc.). The Bible so called because the writers of its several books were God's organs in communicating his will to men. It is his "word," because he speaks to us in its sacred pages. Whatever the inspired writers here declare to be true and binding upon us, God declares to be true and binding. This word is infallible, because written under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and therefore free from all error of fact or doctrine or precept. (See InspirationSee Bible) All saving knowledge is obtained from the word of God. In the case of adults it is an indispensable means of salvation, and is efficacious thereunto by the gracious influence of the Holy Spirit (John 17:17; 2 Timothy 3:15, 16; 1 Peter 1:23).

Word, The
(Gr. Logos), one of the titles of our Lord, found only in the writings of John (John 1:1 14; 1 John 1 John 1:1 Rev 19:13). As such, Christ is the revealer of God. His office is to make God known. "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him" (John 1:18). This title designates the divine nature of Christ. As the Word, he "was in the beginning" and "became flesh." "The Word was with God " and "was God," and was the Creator of all things (comp. Psalm 33: 6; Revelation 19:13; 119:89; Revelation 19:13; Isaiah 40:8. (EBD)

Upvote 0

markbrewer

Mar 29, 2019
kentucky
✟24,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
i thank everyone for your thoughtful replies!

if you will, i ask you to consider this metaphor or analogy: let's say i have an aquarium full of guppys and i, for whatever reason, wish to communicate with those guppys. one way to do that would be to become a guppy.

i think i've heard, at some time, that used as a way to explain one aspect of "The Word": that Jesus is God's expression of Himself to us, on our level of existence. because Father God Almighty is as incomprehensible to us as we are beyond the guppy's ability to understand us.

does that sound right?

thank you

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,244.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i thank everyone for your thoughtful replies!

if you will, i ask you to consider this metaphor or analogy: let's say i have an aquarium full of guppys and i, for whatever reason, wish to communicate with those guppys. one way to do that would be to become a guppy.

i think i've heard, at some time, that used as a way to explain one aspect of "The Word": that Jesus is God's expression of Himself to us, on our level of existence. because Father God Almighty is as incomprehensible to us as we are beyond the guppy's ability to understand us.

does that sound right?

thank you

we are all the word/seed/son of God ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums