What does the US "Pledge of Allegiance" mean to you?

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Palatka44 said:
So a nation that is defending itself is not acting according to the will of God?
I say that the nation that neglects its defence is not within the will of God.
You've yet to demonstrate that the US owes it's existence to your deity.

Upvote 0

chalice_thunder

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟7,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Palatka44 said:
So a nation that is defending itself is not acting according to the will of God?
I say that the nation that neglects its defence is not within the will of God.
Not sure what you mean. I am speaking of a nation that neglects its poor while its rich get richer. I didn't say anything about defending itself.

Upvote 0

Palatka44

Unabashedly Baptist
Jul 22, 2003
Palatka, Florida
Visit site
✟17,727.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
chalice_thunder said:
Not sure what you mean. I am speaking of a nation that neglects its poor while its rich get richer. I didn't say anything about defending itself.
This has never been the Governments responsability. This has always be a job of the Church. When Governments over step it's bounds to coddle the poor it has turned into tyranny. Government forces the Achiever (rich) to turn over their earnings to be redistributed to the underachiever. While ursurping the Church's duty to the widows and orphans.

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Palatka44 said:
This has never been the Governments responsability. This has always be a job of the Church.
Where does the constitution say that it's the chruch's duty to feed the poor? :scratch:

While ursurping the Church's duty to the widows and orphans.
Nothing prohibits churches from doing charity work.

Upvote 0

Palatka44

Unabashedly Baptist
Jul 22, 2003
Palatka, Florida
Visit site
✟17,727.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
crazyfingers said:
You've yet to demonstrate that the US owes it's existence to your deity.
I don't have to. I only have to satisfy myself. I am personaly convienced. You on the otherhand must make up your own mind and I'll never be able to change your mind. Until you see your error you'll never be convienced by me or anyother. I only hope that for you your error is found before you enter eternity.

Again He is not my Deity. I do not posess Him, He posesses me. I am the creation, He is the creator.:clap:

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Palatka44 said:
I don't have to. I only have to satisfy myself. I am personaly convienced.
I'd suggest that you should not maike claims that you can't substantiate. Rather you sould simply say that something is your opinion. Opinions should not be stated as if a fact.

I only hope that for you your error is found before you enter eternity.
So I'm in error? Have you any evidence of that?

Upvote 0

Palatka44

Unabashedly Baptist
Jul 22, 2003
Palatka, Florida
Visit site
✟17,727.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
crazyfingers said:
Where does the constitution say that it's the chruch's duty to feed the poor? :scratch: .
Do you think that the government owes its existence to the Constitution? You've got to be kidding. The Constitution limits Government.
It most certainly does not grant duties to the church. It is the Bible that grants the duties of the Church and outlines the duties of government. It would do you good to read it.:)

crazyfingers said:
Nothing prohibits churches from doing charity work.
Correct, however ppl who get assistance from government sources will never recover their human dignity for govt only opresses.
The Church works from the heart of those willing to give hand-ups.

Upvote 0

Palatka44

Unabashedly Baptist
Jul 22, 2003
Palatka, Florida
Visit site
✟17,727.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
crazyfingers said:
So I'm in error? Have you any evidence of that?
Read the Bible crazyfingers. I know that you classify youself as an athiest but the answers you seek are within the volume of that Book. Just do it.

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Palatka44 said:
Do you think that the government owes its existence to the Constitution? You've got to be kidding.
Given that the constitution establishes the government of the US, in that sense of course it does. But I have no idea how you got down this direction.

The Constitution limits Government.
It does a lot of stuff. It sets up the basic framework for the government. Much of it is quite dry. It stipulates the powers of the federal governemnt and how it relates to the states and it limits powers of both.

It most certainly does not grant duties to the church. It is the Bible that grants the duties of the Church and outlines the duties of government. It would do you good to read it.:)
The bible does not have any bearing on the duties of the US government. Sorry.

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Palatka44 said:
Read the Bible crazyfingers. I know that you classify youself as an athiest but the answers you seek are within the volume of that Book. Just do it.
I have read the bible. I've found it to be a lot of things, some good and some bad. But mainly I find the bible to be lacking in both morals and in sense. The bible is not worth too much additional consideration.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Palatka44 said:
This has never been the Governments responsability. This has always be a job of the Church. When Governments over step it's bounds to coddle the poor it has turned into tyranny. Government forces the Achiever (rich) to turn over their earnings to be redistributed to the underachiever. While ursurping the Church's duty to the widows and orphans.

Well the church is doing a really poor job of it aren't they.

Why are the poor under achievers?

Upvote 0

Palatka44

Unabashedly Baptist
Jul 22, 2003
Palatka, Florida
Visit site
✟17,727.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
mhatten said:
Well the church is doing a really poor job of it aren't they.

Why are the poor under achievers?
You're a :sleep:Christian, maybe it's time you did something to get the Church where it needs to be.

Upvote 0

chalice_thunder

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟7,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Palatka44 said:
Neither is it the government's responsibility to make rich people richer. I stand by my statement that it is not appropriate to swear an oath of allegiance to a piece of cloth. My allegiance is to God, and God alone. :wave:

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
chalice_thunder said:
Neither is it the government's responsibility to make rich people richer.
I agree with this.

I stand by my statement that it is not appropriate to swear an oath of allegiance to a piece of cloth.
I agree with this.

My allegiance is to God, and God alone. :wave:
I don't agree with this. I know of no existing deity.

But I will not pledge allegence when that pledge is a coercive attempt to get me to say an oath to a deity that I don't believe in. And I'll be sure to tell my kids that the school is wrong to tell them to say it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chalice_thunder

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟7,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
crazyfingers said:
I don't agree with this. I know of no existing deity.

Thanks CF - that's why I said "MY" allegiance. I certainly don't mean to say that we all must acknowledge God. Each of us in on a journey, and we walk in respect, as brothers and sisters, no matter what we believe. :wave:

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
chalice_thunder said:
Thanks CF - that's why I said "MY" allegiance. I certainly don't mean to say that we all must acknowledge God. Each of us in on a journey, and we walk in respect, as brothers and sisters, no matter what we believe. :wave:
Sounds good to me. :)

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
chalice_thunder said:
me too, bro! :D
So the bottom line is:

You won't say it because it minimizes your faith

I won't say it because I don't believe it and because the government can't tell me what is the perferred religious belief.

Those who want to keep it for some reason think that it's OK for the government to tell people to say something that conflicts with their beliefs related to religion.

Well, they are wrong. It's not OK for the governemnt to tell people what is the preferred belief when it comes to issues of religion.

The pledge should be eliminated or at least it's saying should NEVER be sponsored by a government entity.

Upvote 0