What Does The Letter Coincide With After the Chapter and Verse in the BCP?

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I noticed it before, but didn't think anything of it, but noticed it again yesterday. There is sometimes a letter after the chapter and verse in the BCP for the daily lectionary.

For example: John 16:23b-30. What is the b for? Also, I was looking for the daily reading for yesterday and assumed that Holy Name is January 1, is this correct?

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,504,235.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes the verse divisions aren't neat, and the letter is telling you to start your reading halfway through the verse.

(So, for example, in John 16:23, which says: "On that day you will ask nothing of me. Very truly, I tell you, if you ask anything of the Father in my name, he will give it to you." You would start your reading of John 16:23b-30 with, "Very truly...")

I think the question of where Holy Name is observed differs from place to place. Where I am, we observe Holy Name later in the year (August, I think, from memory) and January 1 as the naming and circumcision of Jesus.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Sometimes the verse divisions aren't neat, and the letter is telling you to start your reading halfway through the verse.

(So, for example, in John 16:23, which says: "On that day you will ask nothing of me. Very truly, I tell you, if you ask anything of the Father in my name, he will give it to you." You would start your reading of John 16:23b-30 with, "Very truly...")

Ahh, okay. That makes sense. I will be more mindful of that in the future.

I think the question of where Holy Name is observed differs from place to place. Where I am, we observe Holy Name later in the year (August, I think, from memory) and January 1 as the naming and circumcision of Jesus.

Thank you! I took it as January 1 since it fell in-between December 31 and January 2... lol.

Upvote 0