What does the Greek word Πρώτη also mean?

InKarpathos

Sep 20, 2018
Athens
✟19,036.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am writing a book and I have come up upon some scripture in Matthew 26:17 where it states "Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?"

The original Greek version has it as
"Τῇ δὲ πρώτῃ τῶν ἀζύμων προσῆλθον οἱ μαθηταὶ τῷ Ἰησοῦ λέγοντες αὐτῷ· ποῦ θέλεις ἑτοιμάσωμέν σοι φαγεῖν τὸ πάσχα;"

I have read somewhere that the word πρώτῃ means before, which in Greek make sense, but I need some documentation for this. Does anybody have any information where I can find this.
Is their an online Greek dictionary that has this definition?

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am writing a book and I have come up upon some scripture in Matthew 26:17 where it states "Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?"

The original Greek version has it as
"Τῇ δὲ πρώτῃ τῶν ἀζύμων προσῆλθον οἱ μαθηταὶ τῷ Ἰησοῦ λέγοντες αὐτῷ· ποῦ θέλεις ἑτοιμάσωμέν σοι φαγεῖν τὸ πάσχα;"

I have read somewhere that the word πρώτῃ means before, which in Greek make sense, but I need some documentation for this. Does anybody have any information where I can find this.
Is their an online Greek dictionary that has this definition?

Studylight classic interlinear bible

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Liddell and Scott would be authoritative - Greek Word Study Tool

Specifically here, starting at B.: Greek Word Study Tool

Which all suggest "first" - which makes sense as the superlative rather than the comparative. However, my Greek is rusty, though this isn't the first superlative/comparative I've looked at today and I haven't even finished my tea.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The most authoritative resource I know of is the (10 volume) Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (TDNT). There is an abridged 1 volume version which can be enough for the non-researcher.

Last edited:
Reactions: gzt
Upvote 0

InKarpathos

Sep 20, 2018
Athens
✟19,036.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I figured out how I can solve my problem with the passage of John 13:1 where it states that they had the last supper before the feast of Passover.

"Now before the feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end."

Also reading the first passage again, I figured out that Πρώτη must mean before the even happened for the following reason.

The order of events are
Nissan 14 - Passover Dinner at night
Nissan 15 - First day of Unleavened Bread
Nissan 21 - Seventh day of Unleavened Bread.

Mark 14:12 reads
"And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the Passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the Passover?"

They asked him where to eat the Passover dinner, which is a day before the Unleavened Bread on Nissan 14.

Therefore it has to mean before the day of Unleavened Bread and Passover.

Else they asked him on Nissan 15 where are we going to eat on Nissan 14, does not make sense.

Thanks for your help and I hope that I was able to get my point across, the last supper happened before Nissan 14 and was probably on Nissan 13

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you need an easy resource or source to quote, I would also suggest Moulton's Analytical Greek Lexicon. I picked up a volume for a good price because it was recommended to me by a friend who is associated with a Greek monastery (in Greece).

Here's one edition (not the same as mine though) - https://www.amazon.com/Analytical-Greek-Lexicon-Harold-Moulton/dp/0310202817

And there's an old version free to borrow online - The Analytical Greek lexicon revised : Moulton, Harold K. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive (not quite sure how that works but I saw it.)

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I figured out how I can solve my problem with the passage of John 13:1 where it states that they had the last supper before the feast of Passover.

"Now before the feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end."

Also reading the first passage again, I figured out that Πρώτη must mean before the even happened for the following reason.

The order of events are
Nissan 14 - Passover Dinner at night
Nissan 15 - First day of Unleavened Bread
Nissan 21 - Seventh day of Unleavened Bread.

Mark 14:12 reads
"And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the Passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the Passover?"

They asked him where to eat the Passover dinner, which is a day before the Unleavened Bread on Nissan 14.

Therefore it has to mean before the day of Unleavened Bread and Passover.

Else they asked him on Nissan 15 where are we going to eat on Nissan 14, does not make sense.

It happened before Passover. The meal was a Pesakh Seudah HaMafsekhet...literally the "last supper" before the fast of Ta'anit B'khorot (fast of the firstborn) which occurred from sunrise to sunset on the 14th. Yeshua fulfilled even this on the cross.

• Winner
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Old Whig Monarchist, Classically Realpolitik
Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Sometimes the KJV translators rendered πρῶτος as "former" even when it wasn't the comparative form, πρότερος, but that's kind of splitting hairs. If you're talking about two things, of course the thing that comes first is going to be the former one--i.e. the one that is before the other one. Nobody's absolutely sure that πρὸ is etymologically related to πρῶτος, but what other contenders are there in Proto-Indo-European? Take a look at literally any other PIE language, and you'll see that the word for "first" evolved from some word that meant "before." So yeah: little surprise that Greek held onto that similarity of meaning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

InKarpathos

Sep 20, 2018
Athens
✟19,036.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It happened before Passover. The meal was a Pesakh Seudah HaMafsekhet...literally the "last supper" before the fast of Ta'anit B'khorot (fast of the firstborn) which occurred from sunrise to sunset on the 14th. Yeshua fulfilled even this on the cross.
Thanks I did not know this information, I will use it in my book

• Friendly
Upvote 0

InKarpathos

Sep 20, 2018
Athens
✟19,036.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I really want to thank you again. This information was extremely helpful to me and because of your post, I was able to find more information on this matter.

May God Bless you and your family.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I really want to thank you again. This information was extremely helpful to me and because of your post, I was able to find more information on this matter.

May God Bless you and your family.

No problem. I wish more Orthodox would understand these things within the original context of the Judaism they originated in. Shalom

• Agree
Upvote 0