What does the Catholic Church say about elected officials?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
COMMENTARY: Voters — especially before elections — have great hope in princes, as long as they’re our princes and not the other side’s

“Put not your trust in princes,” the psalmist writes (146:3), explaining that we won’t get help from them. He had a pessimistic view of politicians, which is not the usual American view. We have — especially before elections — great hope in princes, as long as they’re our princes and not the other side’s.

We tend to feel the nation’s future hinges on the election of our princes, and maybe feel even more strongly that it hinges on the defeat of the other side’s princes. I’ve been involved in politics for a long time and have the classic journalist’s low view of politicians, and I still feel anxious.

Not unreasonably. However low a view one might have of the American political system, and mine is on the bottom end of low, it still affects people’s lives — the lives of the poor and vulnerable most of all. If elected, one candidate will do one thing and the other candidate another. The political goods we Catholics care about, like the protection of human dignity and the promotion of human flourishing, may be advanced or harmed, depending on who’s elected.

What does the Church say about these princes, our politicians? Does it tell us how much can we trust them, how much hope can we invest in them? Can we quote anyone on this besides the psalmist? Surprisingly, as far as I can find, no.

Continued below.
What Does the Catholic Church Say About Elected Officials?