What does the Bible say about tattoos / body piercings?

What is your opinion, of this?

• I Completely Agree With it

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I Agree With it

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I have no opinion

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I Disagree

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I Strongly Disagree

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please explain your understanding of this NT verse where Jesus is speaking quoting the OT
Matthew 4:4 King James Version (KJV)
4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
How do you understand this to relate to tattoos?

If you'll tell me, then maybe I can see where you are coming from.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
How do you understand this to relate to tattoos?

If you'll tell me, then maybe I can see where you are coming from.

28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.

Previous post The lord said the above statement. "every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.

Previous post The lord said the above statement. "every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord
Verse 27 of the same chapter in Leviticus seems to say about not trimming the corners of one's beard: do preachers shave? are Old Testament Jews in the land under the law and Gospel-testifying New Testament Christians in the same situation? Maybe SDAs, Reformed Christians and dispensational Christians might give various answers.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Verse 27 of the same chapter in Leviticus seems to say about not trimming the corners of one's beard: do preachers shave? are Old Testament Jews in the land under the law and Gospel-testifying New Testament Christians in the same situation? Maybe SDAs, Reformed Christians and dispensational Christians might give various answers.

Ok but what does the Bible say
4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

What does this verse mean to you seeing as how it is a quote by Jesus of an OT verse?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok but what does the Bible say

What does this verse mean to you seeing as how it is a quote by Jesus of an OT verse?
Ask the same question of verse 27 of the chapter: are we Old Testament Jews in the land under the law?

You as SDA are probably (I can't read your mind) familiar with the supposed idea that there is little or no difference between the Old Testament and the New; between Israel and the church. Lots of Christians don't think this way.

This is my point.

If a person gets John 3.16 on their wrists, arms, etc. (as I have talked to people with), presumably their motive for evangelism counts for something.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Ask the same question of verse 27 of the chapter: are we Old Testament Jews in the land under the law?

You as SDA are probably (I can't read your mind) familiar with the supposed idea that there is little or no difference between the Old Testament and the New; between Israel and the church. Lots of Christians don't think this way.

This is my point.

If a person gets John 3.16 on their wrists, arms, etc. (as I have talked to people with), presumably their motive for evangelism counts for something.

But it still violates the word of God.
Matthew 7:22-24 King James Version (KJV)
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But it still violates the word of God.
Matthew 7:22-24 King James Version (KJV)
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
Are you an Old Testament Jew who does not shave?

See my point?

SDAs, some Reformed, and dispensationalists do think differently in certain ways.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Are you an Old Testament Jew who does not shave?

27 Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.

the Jews took great pride in their beards considering them the sign of manhood and dignity. A marred beard marked the wearer as a devotee of a heathen god. The part that was cut off was assumed to be offered to the heathen Gods. This text was a warning against heathen worship.

Yes I do Shave so I can not cut off part of my beard to offer as an offering to heathen gods.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
27 Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.

the Jews took great pride in their beards considering them the sign of manhood and dignity. A marred beard marked the wearer as a devotee of a heathen god. The part that was cut off was assumed to be offered to the heathen Gods. This text was a warning against heathen worship.

Yes I do Shave so I can not cut off part of my beard to offer as an offering to heathen gods.
Exactly.

A faith based tattoo John 3.16, etc., isn't usually done for heathen gods, or 'for the dead', either.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think that these are deeper spiritual questions that can help people to gradually move in a Godly direction with their lives, through spiritual introspection.

But the same questions could be applied to a great many other things, which is perhaps why some people are so hesitant to use them, as opposed to cherry picking out of Leviticus.

TurtleAnne:

PS: Do you think that people giving piercings and ppl with piercings a hard time is an example of cherry picking?

So many young ppl have them to a greater or lesser extent, and are often barely aware of them, in all probability.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If there was a "it depends" option I'd pick that. I'm okay with earrings and such (though I don't want any myself, they'd hurt), and I think temporary tattoos are okay, but a lot of permanent tattoos get a lot of ink into your skin and they stretch and look not as nice over time.
Getting earrings put in - sometimes more than one pair - is basically a phase that both genders go through, right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Getting earrings put in - sometimes more than one pair - is basically a phase that both genders go through, right?

I wouldn't say a phase, some people have had their earnings since they were little kids (two of my cousins have)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't say a phase, some people have had their earnings since they were little kids (two of my cousins have)
This is particularly true among many Hispanic families; part of the culture; but I guess I was referring to when young ppl start having it done voluntarily; often a single ring in each lobe is not enough; sometimes it's several and sometimes they are even stretched, right?

Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
PS:

Your Brother in Christ:

So do you wear earrings as well as having a faith based tattoo? because a lot of ppl have already done earrings by the time they do the first tattoo.

No, earrings and the Tattoo was not something I took lightly, It states "In Christ Alone"

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, earrings and the Tattoo was not something I took lightly, It states "In Christ Alone"
This is a great phrase to have! and faith based ink is proven effective in witness conversations, as I'm sure you have proved also. Seems like you have no regrets.

Sometimes at around 18 the earrings option will be done as an alternative to a tattoo; or else the earrings kind of precede the ink for the big 18 b-day. I'm talking about for guys now; but I guess it applies equally to both genders.

Upvote 0