What does the Bible say about tattoos / body piercings?

What is your opinion, of this?

• I Completely Agree With it

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I Agree With it

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I have no opinion

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I Disagree

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I Strongly Disagree

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If there was a "it depends" option I'd pick that. I'm okay with earrings and such (though I don't want any myself, they'd hurt), and I think temporary tattoos are okay, but a lot of permanent tattoos get a lot of ink into your skin and they stretch and look not as nice over time.

Upvote 0

sheamiao

Apr 26, 2013
Remarkable
✟23,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here is a Video That May Help Anyone Struggling with this. Let me know your opinion and if this has helped you.
Hey, i just felt people do different things to feel good, get attention, to be loved by people. we look for things here and there to satisfy our need, but actually all we need is Jesus. The basic need for humanbeing is the love fromGod. God loves us so much and died for us , so to live in us . Everyday we need to shout out loud, We Have it all.we have the almighty God lives in us, we have peace,joy,love...

I recently am struggling with hair.just don't feel really right about my color and don't know which is right .my recent bang annoys me.as I did some work on God's word, I figured God love me .he loves me no matter how I look. And it is only God's love that can truly satisfie me. We are God made, if we think we are not good looking we are accusing God . the love from God is all we need.

Even after we have our time with God in the morning. during the day, we could feel we are not as good as others or on and on. This is the devil and we can say right at the point: I have it all in Jesus.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If there was a "it depends" option I'd pick that. I'm okay with earrings and such (though I don't want any myself, they'd hurt), and I think temporary tattoos are okay, but a lot of permanent tattoos get a lot of ink into your skin and they stretch and look not as nice over time.

Sorry, but did I not say that in the Video?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It depends on what the person getting the tattoo thinks. If they think is is wrong and a sin....to him it will be wrong and a sin. If he thinks it is fine and nothing bad will happen.....He will be fine. What a man thinketh in his heart.....So is he. This is one of the reasons it is important not to judge.....

Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It depends on what the person getting the tattoo thinks. If they think is is wrong and a sin....to him it will be wrong and a sin. If he thinks it is fine and nothing bad will happen.....He will be fine. What a man thinketh in his heart.....So is he. This is one of the reasons it is important not to judge.....

If it is an act of rebellion then I can see your point, but other than that, if it causes separation between you and God then it is a sin. But your statement “it is important not to judge” is incorrect. We are told to judge, to be discerning, and watch our brothers and sisters in the Lord, but NOT to condemn them for what they have done.

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye. - Matthew 7:1-5

The word “judged” in this verse is based on a Greek word with the meaning “to be judged” or “to be condemn.” this has got to be the most misunderstood verse we have. We are to judge action, but if the person repents we can't condemn them for it.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it is an act of rebellion then I can see your point, but other than that, if it causes separation between you and God then it is a sin. But your statement “it is important not to judge” is incorrect. We are told to judge, to be discerning, and watch our brothers and sisters in the Lord, but NOT to condemn them for what they have done.

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye. - Matthew 7:1-5

The word “judged” in this verse is based on a Greek word with the meaning “to be judged” or “to be condemn.” this has got to be the most misunderstood verse we have. We are to judge action, but if the person repents we can't condemn them for it.

I have no Judgements concerning your beliefs in Judging.

As for me and my house......I choose not to even think about picking up stones and throwing at anyone based on any actions. I no longer have a taste for the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil.

Is it okay for me to feel this way? Can I try to just let my light shine for men to see and then Glorify God? Or do i have to judge the actions of the "sinner" to make it to Heaven?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have no Judgements concerning your beliefs in Judging.

As for me and my house......I choose not to even think about picking up stones and throwing at anyone based on any actions. I no longer have a taste for the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil.

Is it okay for me to feel this way? Can I try to judge let my light shine for men to see and then Glorify God? Or do i have to judge the actions of the "sinner" to make it to Heaven?

Lets apply this to a scenario: If there is a cup of water in front of you and you were going to drink it. But I know that it is poisoned, should I tell you? But wouldn't that be judging your actions?

In the same way, sin is poison to your relationship with God and will cost you everything. I love you enough to tell you the stuff you do not want to hear. The choice is yours, but I will tell you the truth. Not because I hate you, but because I love you and I do not want you to pay such a price, even if it cost me my life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lets apply this to a scenario: If there is a cup of water in front of you and you were going to drink it. But I know that it is poisoned, should I tell you? But wouldn't that be judging your actions?

In the same way, sin is poison to your relationship with God and will cost you everything. I love you enough to tell you the stuff you do not want to hear. The choice is yours, but I will tell you the truth. Not because I hate you, but because I love you and I do not want you to pay such a price, even if it cost me my life.

Good point. But these are not the same situations. It would be the same situation if I knew that i was drinking poison and chose to drink it and you then told me it was wrong and a sin to try to kill myself.

In your scenario, i was just drinking water.....there is nothing wrong with that.....Some would consider it wrong that you knew i was drinking poison and not tell me if you knew and knew i didnt know. the only person possibly in the wrong is the person who knows.

Hence my earlier point....If you think/know it is wrong...to you it is wrong.

You say that you will tell me the truth? What Truth....Is it the truth that will set me free? Or the truth that only frees me until my next sin?

The issue is, we are trying to teach others how to drive the cars before we even step foot in it. We read the manual and have others explain to us the manual and say, ok, I know! i dont need to get in the car, I know and now i can teach others to drive as well.

We have to find and enter the Kingdom of heaven before we can teach others what we can and cant do to get there.

If we are waiting to die to get there, Why even tell us to seek it then? everyone who seeks finds...

The knowledge of good and evil is what got us kicked out in the first place. I will stop eating it for a while, and see if those angels step aside and let me get to the tree of life.

If I succeed, I will share with you the exact steps I took to get there. If I dont succeed, I will go back to judging good and evil and following everyone else.

Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good point. But these are not the same situations. It would be the same situation if I knew that i was drinking poison and chose to drink it and you then told me it was wrong and a sin to try to kill myself.

In your scenario, i was just drinking water.....there is nothing wrong with that.....Some would consider it wrong that you knew i was drinking poison and not tell me if you knew and knew i didnt know. the only person possibly in the wrong is the person who knows.

Hence my earlier point....If you think/know it is wrong...to you it is wrong.

You say that you will tell me the truth? What Truth....Is it the truth that will set me free? Or the truth that only frees me until my next sin?

The issue is, we are trying to teach others how to drive the cars before we even step foot in it. We read the manual and have others explain to us the manual and say, ok, I know! i dont need to get in the car, I know and now i can teach others to drive as well.

We have to find and enter the Kingdom of heaven before we can teach others what we can and cant do to get there.

If we are waiting to die to get there, Why even tell us to seek it then? everyone who seeks finds...

The knowledge of good and evil is what got us kicked out in the first place. I will stop eating it for a while, and see if those angels step aside and let me get to the tree of life.

If I succeed, I will share with you the exact steps I took to get there. If I dont succeed, I will go back to judging good and evil and following everyone else.

It is the same situation, if you stand by and let someone sin, it is still spiritual death. It is their right to choose and if they choose to sin, i can't stop them. But if you stand by and let them sin, then you are at fault.

Reference: “If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector. - Matthew 18:15-17

This verse contradicts your statement, I know it is not easy to tell someone they are doing something wrong, but if done in a loving heart it is righteous.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is the same situation, if you stand by and let someone sin, it is still spiritual death. It is their right to choose and if they choose to sin, i can't stop them. But if you stand by and let them sin, then you are at fault.

Reference: “If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector. - Matthew 18:15-17

This verse contradicts your statement, I know it is not easy to tell someone they are doing something wrong, but if done in a loving heart it is righteous.

It is not quite the same, As drinking water is not viewed as bad, to anyone. but i think i get your points.

As for Matt 18. I believe the scriptures need to be spiritually discerned. what one gets out of it is determined by their level of spirituality and what God chooses to reveal to him. He usually confounds the one are knows the "word" the best, and reveals the truth to the babes...those knowing the least. So there is no benefit in discussing scriptural meanings.

But I will say, that Jesus spoke in Parables, and in secret, He revealed the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven. Those without, thought they heard and saw but really didnt.

Lastly, you speak of seeing someone who is doing wrong and telling or not telling. This is not what im saying....if you see wrong, you should do something about it.

Im talking about genuinely NOT SEEING the wrong. Im not saying I think tattoos, for instance, are wrong, but choose not to say anything when i see someone with it. Im talking about not seeing it as bad/wrong.

I believe that unto the pure all things are pure (Titus 1:15). Therefore, if I make myself pure, I cant see impurity in others. So....I can only see in others, that which i have in myself. Now when i look at someone else, and see something negative, I go within to find out what is it in Me that it causing me to see this in my brother. I believe the kids would say "Takes one to know one"

And except we become as this little child.....(you know the rest, as it is in the same chapter you referenced)

But like I said, Im not in the car yet so no matter how much I've studies the driving manual, I will not say i know how to drive or that i can teach others to drive....If I dont make it in, I will take your word and start judging others again.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You guys are arguing to no purpose. Cut it out.

One is warning others not to be involved in sinful behaviours and the other is saying they are condemning ppl that already sinned. Hello.

Use discernment.
Look if God says dont do something we better listen to Him and dont do it. But if we already done it ask for forgiveness. GOd isnt in the tattoo removal business if ppl choose to get them then its their own choice they KNOW its gonna be a permanent reminder of their folly.

• Haha
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I mean yea for all the missspelled tatts. Ive been inside a prison and just about every inmate had a tatt i dont care what it was of, whether it was tasteful or not they were marked for life.

Why would you do that to yourself I dont know but the criminal mindset is thats its a cool thing to do. NOT.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You guys are arguing to no purpose. Cut it out.

One is warning others not to be involved in sinful behaviours and the other is saying they are condemning ppl that already sinned. Hello.

Use discernment.
Look if God says dont do something we better listen to Him and dont do it. But if we already done it ask for forgiveness. GOd isnt in the tattoo removal business if ppl choose to get them then its their own choice they KNOW its gonna be a permanent reminder of their folly.

see what judging gets you @Your Brother In Christ ? Your statements have been judged argumentative and youve been warned to cut it out. I actually saw nothing wrong or argumentative about anything you said....but that could just be my new naive nature. Was fun Reasoning together......

Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
see what judging gets you @Your Brother In Christ ? Your statements have been judged argumentative and youve been warned to cut it out. I actually saw nothing wrong or argumentative about anything you said....but that could just be my new naive nature. Was fun Reasoning together......

I do greatly respect my fellow Brother in Christ, all we are doing is recommending verses that each of us my want to examine, in order to grow closer to God. Now I have a question, if we are not to judge, then why is one of the spiritual gifts given by the Holy Spirit, discernment? The definition of discernment is “the ability to judge well.” how can this be true if we are not to judge?

P.S. the result of the video is that there is no where in scripture that states tattoos / body piercings are sins.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do greatly respect my fellow Brother in Christ, all we are doing is recommending verses that each of us my want to examine, in order to grow closer to God. Now I have a question, if we are not to judge, then why is one of the spiritual gifts given by the Holy Spirit, discernment? The definition of discernment is “the ability to judge well.” how can this be true if we are not to judge?

P.S. the result of the video is that there is no where in scripture that states tattoos / body piercings are sins.
It's become a sort of rite of passage at 18, in any case, and many young Christians who would go on missions trips, etc. would often decide to use this means to express as a witness aid.

Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's become a sort of rite of passage at 18, in any case, and many young Christians who would go on missions trips, etc. would often decide to use this means to express as a witness aid.

Yes I have seen people saved using tattoos as a witness, that is why when I was told by some Christians that it was a sin. I had to know what the Bible actually said.

Upvote 0