What Does The Bible Plainly And Really Say About This/That?

july_ichat

Feb 2, 2009
✟113.00
Faith
Christian
What does the Bible really say about women preachers/ministers/evangelists? Plenty. There shouldn't be any preaching from the pulpit at all. Only men should do that because Paul said through God by the Holy Spirit in 1 Timothy 2:12 that "I do not allow them (women) to teach (preach) or to have authority over men; they must keep quiet." It is okay if a woman is supervisor, chairman, president or CEO of a company/corporation, principal, doctor, governor, Congresswoman, delegate, senator, Secretary of State (or any Secretary), queen, princess, prime minister, or even President of The United States. But she is not allowed to preach God's Word in the church or anywhere. She is also not allowed to be an elder (pastor) or a deacon either. It is entirely unscriptual. She can be a Sunday school teacher as long she doesn't teach men. She can teach other women and children as well. Feel free to leave comments...I'll have more later, Lord willing.

Really,...????:confused:

Women are not allowed to preached from the pulpit..?????

i think you have also the point......

if they are allowed to preach,....

there are dominating the right of the man.....

Thank you....

Upvote 0

BlueJay180

May 15, 2005
West Virginia
✟507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
ARMAGEDDON, THE BATTLE
by Dr. Hoyt W. Allen, Jr. executive director of KYOWVA Evangelistic Association in Ironton, OH www.kyowva.com

Premillennialism is the doctrine that Christ must return to the earth before He begins His 1,000 year reign in Jerusalem. Dispensationalism teaches that all of history is divided into seven ages (dispensations), which supposedly correspond to the days of the creation week -- the seventh "age" of which is the alleged "millennial" reign of Jesus. Almsot every time there is a disturbance in the Middle East, voices of hysteria assert that the "Battle of Armageddon" is at hand.

The dispensationalists are constantly adjusting their "political" intrepretations of those events that are supoosed to be foreruuners to "Armageddon". A recent example was seen in a revised version of John F. Walvoord's book Armageddon, Oil and the Middle East Crisis. For some years, Walvoord was an instructor of Systematic Theology at the Dallas Theological Seminary. The promotion for Walvoord's book asserted that the world stage was set for a showdown in the Middle East. The professor argued that the conflict in the Persian Gulf, during the administration of President Bush, Sr. (George H. W. Bush), fulfiiled conditions "exactly as the Bible anticipates in its prophecies of the end of time." Error: Then after the fall of the Soviet Union, these books were dumped on the market at a fraction of the original price. It is little wonder; Russia was supposed to be one of the super powers in the Armageddon conflict. The entire millennial scheme is without merit.

A number of premillennial writers have identified Iraq with biblical prophecies regarding Babylon. They claim, therefore, that when the ancient prophets wrote regarding "Babylon", in many instances they were speaking of Modern Iraq. Does the Bible speak of the "battle of Armageddon"? If so, what is it? And when is it supposed to occur? Armageddon (literally, Har-Magedon) is specifically mentioned but once in the Scriptures. A passage in the book of Revelation states: "And they gathered them together into the place which is called in Hebrew 'Har-Magedon'" (16:16). Before one is prepared to consider the possible meaning of "Armageddon", he must first understand something of the nature and design of the book of Revelation as a whole.

Revelation is a symbolic book of hope - It must first be noted that the book of Revelation is a highly symbolic document, as evidenced by both the introduction, and the type of material contained therein. The inspired author affirmed that Christ "signified" the message by his angel unto His servant John (1:1). The Greek verb carries the idea of figurative representation. Strictly speaking, it means to make known bu some sort of sign, it is admirably suited to the symbolic character of the book. This should warn the reader not to expect a literal presentation of future history, but a symbolic portrayal of that which must yet come to pass. The last book of the New Testament is filled with symbols -- like blood, wine, harlot, gold, white robes, etc.

The book of Revelation is a proclamation of victory. One of the key words in the narrative is "overcome". It is a fact admitted by all that this book was written in a time of bitter and far-reaching persecution. The object of the writing was to assure the followers of Christ of the absolute and total overthrow of God's enemies, and the glorious triumph of the Christian religion.

What is Armageddon? (Revelation 16) This awesome chapter records the pouring out of seven bowls of God's wrath into the earth (v. 1). The bowls of wrath are in the form of plagues (sores, blood, fire, frogs), reminiscent of the Exodus plagues (Chapters 7-11), and they are designed to be universal, strictly punitive, and final. They point us to God's overthrow of all that is evil. Are literal frogs literally going to come from the literal mouths of literal creatures to literally engage in battle on the literal plain of Meggido? I would assume that even modern millennialists do not believe that the battle of Armageddon will be fought by frogs. Then the plain of Meggido is only about twenty miles long by fourteen miles wide, and that is much too small to accomodate a battle of the magnitude (hundreds of millions of soldiers) demanded by modern dispensational writers.

Exactl then, what is "Har-Magedon"? It needs to be recognized that in speaking of Armageddon, or the mountain of Meggido, the apostle John is not alluding to a literal place. The use of geographical points to emphasize spiritual truths is a common biblical appearance. For example, the word "hell" (Greek: gehenna). The Greek gehenna relates to the Hebrew gehinnom, which was the Valley of Hinnom just south of Jerusalem. In Old Testament time, when the Jews became involved in idolatry, they offered their children as burnt sacrifices there (2 Kings 16:3; 21:6). Later, because of its connection with pain, weeping, and burning (Hinnom became the city dump, continuously on fire), gehenna became symbol for the final punishment of Hell. Certainly it would be absurd to contend that on the Day of Judgment, the wicked will be cast into the literal Valley of Hinnom near Jerusalem.

Similarly, and characteristically, John, in the Revelation, frequently uses places as symbols for concepts. So Zion (14:1), or Jerusalem (21:2), are symbols of God's spiritual city, the church. Babylon signifies apostasy, and all that is opposed to God (14:8); Egypt and Sodom (11:8) represent oppression and wickedness; the Euphrates (16:12) was symbolic of the point of origin of (spiritual) Israel's enemies, etc. It is within such a reference frame that "mountain of Meggido" likewise is used. Har-Magedon is symbolic of the final overthrow of all the forces of evil by the might and power of God. It is important to observe that Revelation 16 actually says nothing about the battle of Armageddon taking place at that point. There, the forces merely are gathered together, awaiting "the war of the great day of God, the Almighty" which He comes "as a thief" (16:14-15). Note: the great day of God is "the day of God's final judgment", at which time the earth will be destroyed (2 Peter 3:12). Moreover, the expression "come as a thief" is repeatedly employed in connection with Christ's Second Coming (Matthew 24:43; 1 Thessalonians 5:2; 2 Peter 3:10). The battle scene itself is pictured in Revelation 19:11-16.

"And I saw the heaven opened; and behold a white horse, and he sat thereon called Faithful and True; and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. And his eyes are a flame of fire, and upon his head are many diadems; and he hath a name written which no one knoweth but he himself. And he is arrayed in a garment sprinkled with blood; and his name is called The Word of God. And the armies which are in heaven follwed him upon white horses, clothes in fine linen, white and pure. And out of his nouth procedeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations; and he shall rule them with a rod of iron; and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness of the wrath of God, the Almighty. And he hath on his garment and on his thigh a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords."

Concerning this remarkable description, the following observations are in order:

First, the one coming from heaven is clearly Christ, the Word (John 1:1, 14), and the white horse is a symbol of His victorious conquest.
Second, He is coming to judge and make war. But judgment will take place at His Second Coming (Matthew 25:31ff); hence, His war against the enemies of God will occur at the time.
Third, the Lord smites the rebellious nations with a sharp sword that proceeds out of His mouth. Elsewhere, Paul shows that at the time of His "coming" (Greek: parousia -- a technical term for the Lord's final coming in judgment), Jesus Christ will assassinate His enemies "with the breath of His mouth", and bring them to nothing (2 Thessalonians 2:8).

In totaling, our argument is arranged logically as follows:
* The battle of Armageddon will occur when Christ comes to judge (Revelation 16:16; 19:11)
* But He will judge at His Second Coming
* The battle of Armageddon will thus take place at the Second Coming of Christ
* There, Armageddon is the punishment inflcited by Christ at His Second Coming

Conclusion
The dispensational view of the battle of Armageddon is not correct. It contains not the slightest support in the Scriptures. Rather, it is grounded upon a novel and relatively recent (about a century ago) scheme of theological presuppostions. It is buttressed by an erroneous exegetical system that completely ignores the obvious symbolism of the book of Revelation and crudely literalizes its pictures, It is part of a doctrine that reflects in many ways upon the integrity of the Word of God, hence, it must be rejected by careful and conscientious Bible students. Christians have nothing to fear of an impending political Armageddon. However, all who are out of Christ (Galatians 3:26-27) or who are unfaithful to the Lord (2 Corinthians 11:2) had best prepare against the awful day of spiritual Armageddon!

In the Bible, THE MAIN THINGS ARE THE PLAIN THINGS, AND THE PLAIN THINGS ARE THE MAIN THINGS.". This is especially true as one studies the book of Revelation. May God bless you as you strive to be a good Bible student!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does the Bible really say about women preachers/ministers/evangelists? Plenty. There shouldn't be any preaching from the pulpit at all. Only men should do that because Paul said through God by the Holy Spirit in 1 Timothy 2:12 that "I do not allow them (women) to teach (preach) or to have authority over men; they must keep quiet." It is okay if a woman is supervisor, chairman, president or CEO of a company/corporation, principal, doctor, governor, Congresswoman, delegate, senator, Secretary of State (or any Secretary), queen, princess, prime minister, or even President of The United States. But she is not allowed to preach God's Word in the church or anywhere. She is also not allowed to be an elder (pastor) or a deacon either. It is entirely unscriptual. She can be a Sunday school teacher as long she doesn't teach men. She can teach other women and children as well. Feel free to leave comments...I'll have more later, Lord willing.

Wow! Did Jesus make a big mistake when He sent Mary Magdelene to instruct the disciples that He was risen from the dead! What was He thinking?

Upvote 0

annie1speed

Mar 16, 2007
Alabama
✟16,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How is sending a message by a friend to other friends a contradiction of what Blue Jay has written? He didn't say women and men couldn't carry on a conversation - he just said women are not authorized to hold a position of authority in the church.

I don't believe Blue Jay meant to imply that Christian women could not speak to Christian men. I also don't believe Blue Jay implies that women can't privately discuss issues and help a brother in Christ understand doctrine Biblically, as in the case of Paul and his fellow tentmakers. :)

Upvote 0
B

Benoni

God is not a sexist He is a spirit….

The letter killeth, and God purposely pleased those divine words in the Bible to say something to us deep and profound; but we have a tendency to hear and see what some man made system believes and ignore the fact that God’s spirit always has a deep and profound message it we (singular) have an ear to hear.

Like I just said God is a spirit; neither male nor female; just like Adam before God took the rib from Adam and created Eve.

When God speaks to us He uses what I will call spiritual language, symbolisms, examples, parables to show us something beyond the letter that killeth.

1 Corin 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world (age) are come. example

Example: NT:5178 a : Strong’s: tupikos (toop-ee-kos'); an adverb related to NT:5179; found only in 1 Cor 10:11: as a warning, by way of example, typologically (i.e. figuratively, as a prophetic type, a typological interpretation of Scripture)

For this reason so many literalize God’s Word, because their minds are earthy, carnal or religious; but look a little closer; I like the word see: (Gk) with wide-open eyes, as at something remarkable See: Strong’s NT:3700

God is a Spirit which is not male or female BUT: Masculine is always spirit or spiritual (man child) God is always referred in the masculine with the exception of one of his names (El Shaddai) which is feminine (sorry to break some wineskins)? It has been said there are over two hundred different names for God is scripture; a name speaks of name, nature, character and authority. God is one but has many different natures.

But look at the feminine side of scripture we have the soul, the church, Baby lon. My point a man can have a soulish type ministry spiritually speaking. But I have meet women who were masculine for their ministries were spirit.

"El", often translated "God", primarily means "might" or "power." David speaks His Name: "It is El that girdeth me with strength." The revelation of the name "Shaddai" is different. It also expresses power, but it is not the power of violence, but of all-bountifulness.
"Shaddai" means "Breasted", a word formed from the Hebrew word "Shad" meaning "the breast", more specifically, "a woman’s breast". Thus "Shaddai"means "The Pourer or Shedder forth" of blessings both natural and spiritual. This name shows us His nature as One whose self-sacrificing love gives and pours itself out for others.

But there is something deeper than even this — something that corresponds to the tenderness of a mother in holding, nursing, nurturing, caring for, and comforting the weary and wounded spirit of her child. Mothers are the tenderest image in humanity! There is something in God which corresponds to that power of the tender and compassionate feminine nature, something of which, indeed, that feminine care and comfort is only the pale, earthly reflection. Yes, God is a Mother as well as a Father,
only He is so much finer a mother than the finest mother you ever knew!

The references in scripture to God as a Mother are numerous. "As one which his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you; and ye shall be comforted in Jerusalem" (Isa. 66:13). In Genesis 1:2 we read, "And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

" That word moved in the Hebrew indicates a "hovering" or "brooding" that began to take place upon the surface of the waters. The word also indicates a "fluttering" such as the wings of a fowl. So in the very beginning of this planet Earth we see the first manifestation of the maternal, or feminine, character of God. In the beautiful Song of Moses he says to the unfaithful people of Israel, "Of the Rock that bore you, you were unmindful; you forgot the God who travailed in your birth" (Deut. 32:18, Amplified).
Here God is portrayed as a disappointed Mother who bore us and brought us forth! These words clearly involve the image of childbirth, of God as a Mother. "Under His wings," an expression used again and again in scripture, is a mother figure. Jesus said, "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!" (Mat. 23:37). It is the mother-bird that gathers up her brood under her wings to feel the heat of her body, and for protection. So Christ says, in effect, "I would be a Mother to you!"

Angel…..

NT:32

aggelos (ang'-el-os); from aggello [probably derived from NT:71; compare NT:34] (to bring tidings); a messenger; especially an "angel"; by implication, a pastor:

This was not a translation from the Greek, but instead the translators took the Greek word “aggelos” and concocted is a transleration not a translation for the word angel

The word angel simply means messenger; many time there are heavenly messengers as well as in some cases earthy messenger, you must weigh each verse closely.

Hosea 4:6 (KJV)

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge,
I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children

Upvote 0

BlueJay180

May 15, 2005
West Virginia
✟507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
WHY NOT FOOT WASHING?
by Dr. Hoyt W. Allen, Jr. - executive director of KYOWVA Evangelistic Association in Ironton, OH www.kyowva.com

Some have wondered why the (Independent) Churches of Christ/Christian Churches do not practice foot washing during the Communion Service. We will attempt to answer this question.

It is only in John's Gospel (13:1-17) that we find a record of foot washing during the "Last Supper", not in the other three Gospels. Jesus and His twelve apostles had gone to an upper room in Jerusalem to observe the Passover Feast together. While they were eating the feast, Jesus got up, poured water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples' feet. When He finished, He said to them "Do you understand what I have done for you?...I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you." (verses 12-15).

Notice why Jesus washed the disciples' feet. There was strife among the disciples over whom of them was the greatest (Luke 22:24). The custom of that day was that the host provided a servant to wash the dust-covered feet of his guest(s) or he himself would do so. During this time period, the guest(s) always had dusty feet, since everyone wore sandals and the roads were of dirt.

When Jesus saw an opportunity to teach His disciples humility, He took advantage of it. He did this by stooping to do a servant's job.

Today, we do not practice foot wahing in our worship service because:

1. Jesus never commanded us to do this, as He did in telling us to remember Him through the loaf and the cup in the Communion Service.

2. It is not the custom in our day to wash the guest's feet. We now have concrete and asphalt streets. We take our guest's coat and hat, offer him/her a seat, and then usually offer him/her something to drink. This is our way of showing hospitality, not foot washing.

3. Foot washing was never observed in the New Testament church. It is mentioned only once in the Bible, after the Passovewr meal. That reference is to a home where strangers were lodged (1 Timothy 5:10).

Some who practice what the call "The Complete Lord's Supper" by washing one another's feet along with the Communion are not following the actual example of Jesus, because He washed both feet of the disciples', not just one.

When Jesus commanded, "Teach disciples to observe all things I have commanded", He was not speaking of foot washing, thus we do not do it.

Upvote 0

WhollyRabbit

New one
May 22, 2009
Michigan
Visit site
✟7,642.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
ugh...

I better not say anything...I'm a woman.:eek:

Great, because that's what Paul said you should do.

What you should do is to read and study the New Testament. Don't place any faith in what your minister or Sunday School teacher has told you. (Place your faith in God.) Read it yourself and make up your own mind. When you are judged on Judgement Day, Christ Jesus isn't going to ask your minister if you are saved...He's going to ask YOU.

Upvote 0

WhollyRabbit

New one
May 22, 2009
Michigan
Visit site
✟7,642.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Guys, this convo is 7 months old. I doubt anyone is listening...

I suppose that depends upon what a "convo" is.

So, in your mind everything that could be said has been said, or the things that have been said are outdated and should summarily be dismissed.

Some would call that arrogance on your part.

Upvote 0

annie1speed

Mar 16, 2007
Alabama
✟16,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Arrogance? I don't know if that is true. Short sighted perhaps but not arrogant.

Me, myself I was glad to see the information on footwashing. And the new posts nudged be back to a study that I had begun with someone on this subject. Some of the best learning is done when we set things aside for a little while, chew on them a little bit, and return to the study with perhaps a different perspective or a better understanding of the parts of the subject we are studying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Subdood

Jul 14, 2008
Cloud 8.95
✟44,468.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ugh...

I better not say anything...I'm a woman.:eek:

Great, because that's what Paul said you should do.

What you should do is to read and study the New Testament. Don't place any faith in what your minister or Sunday School teacher has told you. (Place your faith in God.) Read it yourself and make up your own mind. When you are judged on Judgement Day, Christ Jesus isn't going to ask your minister if you are saved...He's going to ask YOU.
Guys, this convo is 7 months old. I doubt anyone is listening...

I suppose that depends upon what a "convo" is.

So, in your mind everything that could be said has been said, or the things that have been said are outdated and should summarily be dismissed.

Some would call that arrogance on your part.
Friend, I'm not sure why the chip on the shoulder or the attitude. The quote you responded to was indeed 7 months old (early February); moreover Cremi stated she wasn't going to say anything more [on this topic]. All DS did was point that out imo. Not sure how the rest of what you said could be construed from that, let alone such a judgment leveled or justfiied... :scratch:

Upvote 0

czali

Oct 19, 2009
✟7,958.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are the saints though eg; saints and angels.. one morning, and I am not making this up.. after a night of singing loudly along with some praise music.. the next morning I was awakened by the mosty lovely voices of angels, quite feminine, singing 'alleluiah alleluiah alleluiah..'

not kidding. happened about a year ago.

Upvote 0

BlueJay180

May 15, 2005
West Virginia
✟507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
IS IT RIGHT TO CALL MEN REVEREND?
Author of this tract unknown

GOOD MORNING, REVEREND!

In my business, social, and church life, people are continually greeting me by saying, "Good morning, Reverend." Why? Because I am a preacher, I am an evangelist in the Church of Christ, and these good people want to show respect for my work and for me. Perhaps it will come as a shock to some of my friends as they hear me say that I do not want to be called "Reverend".

I do not make this request because I think that I am too good for the title. I do not make this request because I want to be different from all others. After many hours of Bible Study, I have come to the conclusion that it is wrong for me to want the title, and it is wrong for me to encourage people to use it by my accpetance of it.

Do you know where the word "Reverend" is found in the Bible? Do you know how many times it is found? Do you know the definition of the word? Perhaps you have never given this much thought. I believe that you will agree with me that it would be interesting, as well as desirable, to know the answers to these questions.

The word "reverned" is found only once in the pages of the Bible! In our King James Version of the Bible, we read the following words:

"He sent redemption unto His people: He hath commanded His covenant forever: holy and reverend is His name." (Psalm 111:9 KJV)

If you will be kind enough to read the entire 111th Psalm, you will find that the subject under consideration at this point is the holiness, purity, fear, terribleness, and reverence in which we are to hold the name of God. By inspiration of the Holy Spirit, David teaches "Holy and reverend is His name."

Would you want to take an attribute of God, which is applied exclusively to Him, and apply this to me? NO! I am not, nor will I ever be, great enough to wear "reverend" as a title!

Jesus vigorously condemned the use of religious titles. Listen to Him as He speaks to us in Matthew 23:8-10:

"But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in Heaven. Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ."

Translation:
"You must not be called 'Teacher,' because you are all brothers of one another and have only one Teacher. And you must not call anyone here on earth 'Father,' because you have only the one Father in Heaven. Nor should you be called 'Leader,' because your one and only leader is the Messiah." (TEV)

Can we be mistaken concerning the message He has for us? I do not believe so! This is a wonderful teaching... "all ye are brethren" ...Christ has made us equal. The divisions of "clergy" and "laity" are foreign to the teachings of Jesus.

Jesus alos taught against any marks of distinction among His people. The religious leaders of Jesus' day were filled with pride and desired to be set apart from all other. Hear Jesus again as He speaks in Mark 12:38-39:

"And He said unto them in His doctrine, 'Beware of the scribes, which love to go in long clothing, and love salutations in the marketplaces, and the chief seats in the synagogues, and the uppermost rooms at feasts:'"

Translation:
"As He taught them, He said, 'Watch out for the teachers of the Law, who like to walk around in their long robes and be greeted with respect in the marketplace, who choose the reserved seats in the synagogues and the best places at feasts.'" (TEV)

When men take to themselves religious titles and special clothing, Jesus says to "beware" of them!

Perhaps you are asking by now, "Well, how should we greet you, what should we call you?" This question is certainly in order. If you are a Christian, why not call me brother. If you do not desire to call me brother, why not refer to me as mister. This way, we make no distinction between me and other male members of the congregation!

Peter, that great apostle of Jesus, wrote:

"If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God..." (1 Peter 4:11)

Translation:
"Whoever preaches must preach God's messages;..." (1 Peter 4:11 TEV)

The word "oracles" means "utterances" ("messages"). In calling a fellow Christian "brother", and refusing to call any man "reverend", we are obeying this command.

I feel that most people are honest and want to do want is right. In order to accomplish our task, let us return to the Bible for all our beliefs and practices. This is right and good. We of the Church of Christ are diligently seeking to do this. We invite you to attend worship services with us, as we use the Bible as our only rule of faith and practice, that together we may restore the Word of God to its rightful place!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BlueJay180

May 15, 2005
West Virginia
✟507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
LET THE BIBLE SPEAK ABOUT PENTECOSTALISM (OR THE CHARISMATIC MOVEMENT)
From www.churches-of-christ.net/tracts

INTRODUCTION
Pentecostalism (or the Charismatic movement) is a rapidly spreading movement. Its members now number in the millions around the world. The very fact of its existence has kept many sincere people from finding simple New Testament Christianity. They have been taken in by this movement which had its beginning some 1900 years after the establishment of the church of the New Testament.

Pentecostalism is not taught in the Word of God. As a matter of fact, it contradicts the Bible at many critical points. It is the purpose of this tract to show the contradictions and thus help the reader to see the difference between Pentecostalism and New Testament Christianity.

THE HOLY SPIRIT
1. Pentecostals (or Charismatics) teach that the Holy Spirit operates directly upon the heart of the sinner today.

The Bible teaches that one is converted when he obets the gospel which has already been revealed by the Spirit. (2 Thessalonians 1:7-9), (1 Corinthians 2). Observe every case of conversion in the book of Acts.

2. Pentecostals (or Charismatics) teach that the Holy Spirit operates directly upon the Christian, giving him leading, guidance, and direction separate and apart from the Bible.

The Bible teaches that the Scriptures are complete and will completely furnish us unto every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16-17), (2 Peter 1:3).

3. Pentecostals (or Charismatics) teach that the written Word of God without a direct operation of the Holy Spirit is powerless.

The Bible teaches that as it is, it is able to save and sanctify man as he is. (Hebrews 4:12); 1 Thessalonians 2:13; Romans 1:16).

HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM
1. Pentecostals teach that Holy Spirit baptism is available for Christians today.

The Bible teaches that the promise of Holy Spirit baptism was fulfilled on Pentecost and at the household of Cornelius (Joel 2:28-32; Acts 2, 10, & 11).

2. Pentecostals teach that there are at least two baptisms available today; water baptism and Holy Spirit baptism.

The Bible teaches that there is one baptism (Ephesians 4:5), and that one baptism is in water (Acts 10:47) and is for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38). If the ONE baptism of Ephesians 4:5 is Holy Spirit baptism, then there is no forgiveness of sins today. (Acts 2:38; 1 Peter 3:21). This point alone should cause all sincere seekers of salvation to reject Pentecostalism.

3. Pentecostals teach there is a continuing need for Holy Spirit baptism.

The bible teaches that man's every spiritual need is provided in Christ (Ephesians 1:3) and in the Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
1. Pentecostals teach that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are available to Christians today.

The Bible teaches that the gifts of the Spirit were temporary (1 Corinthians 13:8) and that when the revelation of God was completed they were done away (1 Corinthians 13:9-12).

2. Some Pentecostals teach that "tongues" are senseless jabbering.

The New Testament teaches that they are known languages.

3. Pentecostals emphasize speaking in tongues and interpretation of tongues above other gifts of the Spirit.

The Bible teaches that in the New Testament times each gift served a special purpose (1 Corinthians 12-14). Paul warned against emphasizing tongues above prophecy in the assembly of the saints (1 Corinthians 14:1-5).

4. Pentecostals give little time to the gift of prophecy.

The Bible shows the importance of prophecy in the New Testament church (1 Corinthians 14:1-5).

5. Pentecostals claim to perform miracles and healings.

The New Testament teaches that miracles and healings were generally done to confirm the work (Mark 16:20; Hebrews 2:4) and that the miracles of Christ were done to make men believe He was the Son of God (John 20:30-31). Experience also shows the claims of Pentecostals to fall far short. They cannot raise the dead (Matthew 9), strike blind those who oppose their work (Acts 13), get their tax money miraculously from the mouth of a fish (Matthew 17:27), drink poison without getting sick or dying (Mark 16:18), stop storms (Matthew 8:26), and other things which were done in the New Testament times.

6. Pentecostals contend for "laying on of hands" today.

The Bible teaches that the gifts measure in the first century church was given by the laying on of the APOSTLES' hands (Acts 8:18, 19:1-6; Romans 1:11; 2 Timothy 1:5-6) and was limited to them. When the last Apostle died and the last one on whom they had laid their hands died, then the spiritual gifts ceased.

SOME CONSEQUENCES OF PENTECOSTALISM
1. Pentecostalism causes one to reject the power of God's written Word.

Yet the Bible: (a) is God's power to save (Romans 1:16), (b) produces faith (Romans 10:17), (c) has power to convert (Psalm 19:7), (d) is powerful to beget (1 Peter 1:22-23), (e) has power to make us free from sin (John 8:32), and (f) has power to give us light (Psalm 119:105).

2. Pentecostalism causes one to become spiritually lopsided.

Those who become involved in it can think of liitle other than speaking in tongues, Holy Spirit baptism, etc. This causes them to neglect everything else and thus they become spiritually lopsided.

3. Pentecostalism causes one to be filled with spiritual arrogance.

There is an air of superiority among those who claim to have experienced the so-called baptism of the Spirit over those who have had no such experience.

4. Claiming to be spiritual, Pentecostalism causes the carnal problem of division.

The true Pentecostal is never satisfied to keep his experience to himself. He must share it with others. It has caused trouble wherever it has gone.

5. Pentecostalism causes one to reject the teaching of the New Testament concerning:

Salvation, the church, sanctification, and other subjects which are essential to salvation.

6. Pentecostalism will cause one to lose his soul.

To accept false teaching is to go in error (2 Timothy 3:7-9; 1 Timothy 6:3-6; 2 Peter 2). To go into error is to be lost (2 Peter 2:20-22).

CONCLUSION
In view of the errors taught by Pentecostalism, we would certainly encourage all to be careful to obey God's Word and leave the fallacies of Pentecostalism to those who care not for their soul.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to ask you again to start a new thread for each of the discussions that you think are worth having here. There are a few reasons I'm asking you to do this. Firstly, it keeps the thread focused on a single issue rather than jumping all over the place. This makes the discussion focused and results in better studying for everyone else. Secondly, it makes it easier to search through the information and find what I needed at a later date and time. Finally, it keeps an old thread from being resurrected and older discussions stay sorted.

LET THE BIBLE SPEAK ABOUT PENTECOSTALISM (OR THE CHARISMATIC MOVEMENT)
From www.churches-of-christ.net/tracts

I don't mind if you have thoughts on a give topic, but if you're going to cite a source, please don't paste the entire source into a thread. Simply provide the link and if I (or others) am interested I will go and read it.

Upvote 0

Windlord

Jan 13, 2006
Indiana
✟992.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What does God's Word say about tatoos? You can find that passage of scripture in Leviticus 19:28 which says "You will not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you. I am the LORD." - NKJV. A paraphrased version would say this as well "(Do not) tatoo yourselves or cut gashes in your body to mourn for the dead. I am the LORD." - TEV. I have seen a report on The 700 Club/CBN News that our brothers and sisters in Christ are getting tatoos with biblical, religious, and spiritual designs. What God said in that scripture is right. We should never get any tatoos at all no matter what it looks like and God means it. If you don't believe me, read that scripture in His Word. I will have more later on this thread, Lord willing...

I'm pretty sure what most people today here in the U.S. who get tattoos, don't do it for the dead, or to mourn the dead. So I don't see how this scripture is relevant to what is going on today, which is a completely different practice. Scripture also says don't eat meat sacrificed to Idols. Does that too mean we aren't supposed to eat meat at all? Same principle.

Upvote 0

BlueJay180

May 15, 2005
West Virginia
✟507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
COUNTDOWN TO ARMAGEDDON????

INTRODUCTION
Increasingly, the attention of the world is being drawn to the Middle East. This is due, in part, to the combustible nature of the political situation in that part of the world and the impact which events there are bound to have on the fragile possibilities for world peace. However, a second factor which has helped to focus attention on the Middle Eastern situation is the interest in certain religious theories which can be loosely grouped together under the heading of "Premillennialism".

The book market has been glutted in recent years with Premillenial publications, but the book which has gained the most attention is Hal Lindsey's LATE GREAT PLANET EARTH, which has sold several million copies Lindsey's book has served to crystallize interest in the doctrines of Premillenialism. Many have found justification in Lindsey's writings for their belief that the end of the present order of things is very near. Lindsey's book was made into a movie, also titled THE LATE GREAT PLANET EARTH, which further popularized the Premillennial view of the future.

The impact of these theories upon evangelical Christian groups is readily apparent. Many churches which formerly rejected Premillennialism have now endorsed it and are doing all they can to spread it. The growing popularity of these doctrines demands that they be examined carefully in the light of Biblical truth.

WHAT IS PREMILLENNIALISM?
The word millenium is Latin for "1,000 years" and Pre is a prefix meaning "before". Premillennialism, then, is the doctrine that Christ will return to earth propr to establishing a material kingdom which will last for 1,000 years. The supporters of this theory often cite Revelation 20:4 as a basis for their claims. Though there are many varieties of Premillennialism, most of its adherents adopt the following basic assumptions:

1. God's Kingdom is not yet in existence;
2. The Second Coming of Jesus will be preceded by the rise of the antichrist.
3. Judaism will be re-established in its ancient form and the Jewish Temple will be rebuilt on Mount Moriah;
4. There will be two resurrections from the dead;
5. The righteous will be removed from the world for a period known as the Rapture;
6. The world will be plunged into a period of Tribulation which will culminate in the great battle of Armageddon, and
7. Christ will return to earth to establish a material kingdom headquarted in Jerusalem which will usher in a 1,000-year period of peace and prosperity on earth. Let us examine each of these theories in turn.

THE FUTURE KINGDOM THEORY
Premillennialists generally are agreed that Jesus came the first time for the purpose of establishing the Kingdom. However, His rejection by the Jewish nation caused the postponement of His plan. Instead, Jesus established the Church as a kind of stop-gap measure to prepare men for the Kingdom and to last until it was established. They theorize that Jesus is now sitting at God's right hand, temporarily, until He is able to assume the throne of David. (David Brown, CHRIST'S SECOND COMING: WILL IT BE PREMILLENNIAL? 1882, page 120)

The Bible plainly teaches that the Kingdom already exists. John claimed to be a part of it (Revelation 1:9). Paul likewise claimed to be a citizen of it (Colossians 1:13). Jesus showed that the Kingdom was to be associated with the Church (Matthew 16:18-19). The writer of Hebrews asserts that we have received a kingdom which cannot be shaken (Hebrews 12:28). The Church is not a Divine afterthought! The mind of God conceived it before the world began (Ephesians 3:9-10). The Old Testament prophets predicted its establishment (Acts 2:16). Jesus bought it with His own blood (Acts 20:28). Jesus is now ruling His Kingdom from the throne of David (Acts 2:34-36).

Premillennialism is wrong because it has the wrong concept of the Church!

ANTICHRIST
Premillennialists believe that a great world leader will arise in opposition to Christianity. They usually insist that he will be the head of a revived Roman Empire which is often equated with the European Common Market. According to Hal Lindsey: "The way in which this dictator is going to step onto the stage of history will be dramatic. Overnight he will become the by-word of the world...He will have a magnetic personality, be personally attractive, and a powerful speaker. He will be able to mesmerize an audience with his oratory." (THE LATE GREAT PLANET EARTH, p. 108) In the 20th century many possible candidates have been labeled as the antichrist including Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini, Josef Stalin, Anwar Sadat, Henry Kissinger, George Bush, and Saddam Hussein! Lindsey insists that the antichrist is alive somewhere in the world right now!

The Bible, however, teaches that antichrist is not a man but an attitude. The word antichristus really means "opposer of Christ". While this word is not even used in the book of Revelation, it is used several times in the epistles of John. John wrote: "Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist; the one who denies the Father and the Son. (1 John 2:22)." Note that John refers to anyone who denies the Father and the Son as antichrist - an opposer of Christ. John gives us a further key to unraveling the identity of antichrist in 1 John 4:3 where he writes: "And every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; and this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming and now it is already in the world." Note again that antichrist is not a man but a "spirit" or attitude which prompts men to oppose Christ. The truth is that there are, have been, and will be many antichrists. Each age has its own opposers of the truth. In one age it may be Domitian, in another the papacy, in another Communist dictators, and in another rationalistic scholars who have sought to undermine Biblical truth. John confirms this by saying that there were already many antichrists aborad in his own day (1 John 2:18). The Beast whose number is 666 has appeared and re-appeared all throughout history in the different forms which opposition to Christianity has taken.

Premillennialism is wrong because it has the wrong view of antichrist!

THE REVIVAL OF ISRAEL
Premillennialists believe that the ancient promises to Israel have never been fulfilled and that the Jews have a Divine right to the land of Israel. They believe that it is God's will that the Jews return to Palestine and rebuild their nation. Near the end of 1977, fifteen top evangelical leaders in America, including John Walvoord, Harold Lindsell, and Pat Boone, ran a full page advertisement in the New York Times calling for a U.S. foreign policy which would recognize the unique rights if Israel in the Middle East. Two weeks later, Carl McIntire took a similar full page ad in the Times expressing the conviction that Fundamentalists must give their backing to Israel in the Middle Eastern dispute (ETERNITY, January 1978, pp/ 8-9). Hal Lindsey speaks of "three keys" which he claims provide the basis for the Premillennial interpretation of future events. He says they are:

1. The rebith of the nation of Israel;
2. The return of Jerusalem to Jewish hands; and
3. The rebuilding of the Jewish temple on Mt. Moriah. In his book, he wries: "There will bw a reinstitution of the Jewish worship according to the Law of Moses with sacrifices and oblations... there will soon begin the construction of the temple." (THE LATE GREAT PLANET EARTH, page 57)

The Bible notes, however, that from the stand-point of God, Judaism has forever served its purposes. The old Law was only a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ. Now that Christ has come, the schoolmaster may be dismissed (Galatians 3:24-25). When Christ died, the veil of the temple was torn in two by God, signifying that the old Law and Temple worship had served its purpose. As a convincing demonstration that He was finished with Judaism as a religious system, God caused Jerusalem to be completely destroyed in AD 70 so that not one stone was left standing upon another. Furthermore, the Bible is very explicit in teaching that the Covenant promises to Abraham's descendents have been fulfilled. In Joshua 21:43 we read - "So the LORD gave Israelall the land which He had sworn to give to their fathers, and they possessed it and lived in it." Joshua 23:14 reiterates the same fact. It is a misapplication of Scripture and a misdirection of foreign policy to insist that Israel must possess the Middle East because "God willis it."

Premillennialsim is wrong because it misunderstands God;s purposes for Judaism.

To be continued on the next thread/entry...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BlueJay180

May 15, 2005
West Virginia
✟507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
COUNTDOWN TO ARMAGEDDON????
(Continued)

THE TWO RESURRECTION THEORY
Premillennialsts hold that "the first resurrection" of Revelation 20:5 is the resurrection of the righteous dead to share in the Rapture. But the Bible teaches that there is only one general resurrection from the dead. Premillennial theory sees events in this order:

1. The first resurrection;
2. The Rapture and the 1,000-year reign; and
3. the final defeat of Satan.

However, 1 Corinthians 15:26 teaches that death will not be destroyed by the Resurrection until the final defeat of Satan! In fact, it is the Resurrection itself which neutralizes Satan's greatest weapon (death) and which results in his final defeat. Paul plainly specifies "The last enemy that will be abolished is death." (1 Corinthians 15:26) And, then -- immediately after the resurrection - the Kingdom is to be delivered up to God (1 Corinthians 15:24).

Clearly, there is no time in the Biblical scheme of things for two bodily resurrections separated by a 1,000-year reign on earth. It is conceivable that the doctrine of two resurrections from physical death, if true, would be mentioned only once in a book of symbols when every book in the New Testament touches upon the doctrine of the Resurrection.

The "two resurrection" theory contradicts the clear teaching of Jesus. He said, "Do not marvel at this: for an hour is coming in which all who are in the tombs shall hear His voice, and shall come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment." (John 5:28-29) In John 6:40, Jesus plainly taught that the righteous dead would not be raised up until "the last day". The last day is that day which signals the end of time and earthly matter as we know it! There is simply no time for a 1,000-year reign on earth after the "last day". Whatever the first resurrection is, it is not a resurrection of bodies; rather it is contrasted in scripture with the second or bodily resurrection!

Premillennialism is wrong in its concept of the two resurrections.

THE RAPTURE
One of the most cherished doctrines of Premillennialsim is that of the so-called Rapture. According to Robert Strong, the Rapture refers to the "sudden and possible secret coming of Christ in the air to catch away from the earth the resurrected bodies of those who died in faith and with them the living saints." Those who hold this view are disagreed among themselves as to whether this period will last 3 1/2 (3.5) or 7 years. Hal Lindsey describes it this way: "Someday, a day that only God knows, Jesus Christ is coming to take away all those that believe in Him. He is coming to meet all true believers in the air. Without benefit of science, space suits, or interplanetary rockets, there will be those who will be transported into a glorious place more beautiful, more awesome, than we can possibly comprehend. Earth and all its thrills, excitement, and pleasures will be nothing in contrast to this great event. It will be the living end. The ultimate trip." (THE LATE GREAT PLANET EARTH, page 137)

The Bible is unaware of any such doctrine! The word "rapture" is not even found in the Bible! When Christ comes again, it will be no secret - "every eye will see Him." (Revelation 1:7). Paul says that when we are "caught up" with the Lord, we will "always be" with Him (1 Thessalonians 4:17). This would not allow for a 1,000-year return to earth to participate in the "Millennium". When Jesus comes to be glorified with His saints, He will simultaneously destroy the wicked (2 Thessalonians 1:8-10). Death will ultimately give way to the Resurrection and Judgment, not Resurrection and Rapture! "And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment." (Hebrews 9:27) The time between the Resurrection and the consummation of our hope will be but a "moment"; not 7 years (1 Corinthians 15:52)!

Premillennialism is wrong because it insists upon a "Rapture" of which the Bible has no knowledge.

ARMAGEDDON
According to Premillennialism of the 1,000-year reign will be preceded by a period of terrible tribulation which will climax in the Battle of Armageddon. According to the theory: "The tribulation will be God's wrath on this Christ rejecting world... There will be wars and at least one-half the world's population will be killed... Men will be scorched with fire, there will be great earthquakes and one hundred percent hail. Cities will fall and every island and mountain will disappear." (Bible Believer's Evangelistic Association, GOD'S PLAN FOR THE AGES). The central feature of the Tribulation will be Armageddon. Hal Lindsey envisioned this scenario:

1. Russia, allied with the Arab states, will invade Israel;
2. Russia will then double-cross her Arab aliies and will make war upon them and the African states;
3. The Revived Roman Empire, headed by antichrist, will enter the war and defeat the Russians using nuclear weapons;
4. An army of 200 million Red Chinese will cross the Euphrates and enter the war, thus setting up the climatic battle on the plains of Armageddon.

The Bible furnishes no basis for these speculations. The Scriptures reveal that the "tribulation" had already begun in the days of the Apostle John (Revelation 1:9)! The faithful New Testament Church at Symrna received this message from Christ: "Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life." (Revelation 2:10) The tribulation represents that spirit of opposition which has confronted the true Church of God all throughout history. In varying degrees, it is something which the Church must constantly contend with!

Armageddon is not a physical battle to be waged with guns, tanks, and nuclear war-heads! Rather, it is a spiritual struggle between the forces of good and evil. The word Armageddon is a combination of the Hebrew words "Har" meaning "mount" and Megiddo" which was the site of several crucial batt;es in Jewish history (cf. 2 Kings 23, Judges 5:19; Judges 7). Literally, then, Armageddon is "the mountain of Megiddo". In the descriptive language of the Prophets, the word "mountain" was used symbolically to refer to the church (cf. Isaiah 2:2). Armageddon, then, simply refers to the spiritual battles which must be fought by the church.

Ours is not a fleshly enemy - "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places." (Ephesians 6:12) Armageddon is the continuing struggle between the forces of good and evil. It is fought whenever and wherever right confronts wrong. It rages within the heart and within the nation! It is a battle which is being fought now! Christians must arm themselves and fight (Ephesians 6:11, 2 Corinthians 10:4, 1 Timothy 6:12). The faithful of God must confront every form of evil in every age at Armageddon!

Premillennialism is wrong because it has a mistaken idea about the meaning of Tribulation and Armageddon.

THE 1,000-YEAR REIGN
Premillennialsts insist that the Bible clearly teaches that Christ will reign on earth for 1,000 years. They base their belief on their interpretation of Revelation 20:4, which says "And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of the testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and not received the mark upon their forehead and upon their hand; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years." It is held that this verse teaches a literal rule of Christ on earth from David's throne in Jerusalem.

But what does Revelation 20 actually say? Note some things which are not said in this misquoted and misunderstood section of the Bible:

1. Revelation 20 does not specifically mention the Second Coming of Christ - these events are not connected with it.
2. Revelation 20 doe3s not mention us. Those who reign are souls (i.e. disembodied spirits) who are referred to as "they".
3. Revelation 20 does not mention the reign "of" Christ, but the reign of souls "with" Christ. There is a difference!
4. Revelation 20 does not mention a reign on earth. According to Revelation 6;9, the souls of the martyrs who are described as reigning are under the altar in heaven.
5. Revelation 20 does not mention a bodily resurrection. The first resurrection mentioned here is something which is contrasted with the second or bodily resurrection.
6. Revelation 20 does not mention David's throne. A plurality of thrones is mentioned.
7. Revelation 20 does not mention the city of Jerusalem or the land of Palestine.
8. Revelation 20 does not indicate that the reign was for 1,000 literal years. It is said of the martyrs that "they lived and reigned..." In other words, they lived for exactly the same period that they reigned. If the reign is 1,000 literal years, then they only lived 1,000 literal years!
9. Revelation 20 does not mention Christ on earth. Instead, Christ is with the souls of the martyrs which were in heaven.

A great deal must be read into Revelation 20 before anything resembling Premillennialism will emerge from it. What does Revelation 20 actually say when it is read craefully?

1. It says that Satan can be bound (20:1). How? By preaching the Gospel! The sword of the Spirit is the chain which has the power to restrain the devilish influence of the old serpent.
2. It says that the martyrs who died for the cause of Christ will see their faith vindicated. How? By the triumph of the Gospel for which they died. When the Gospel which they preached is triumphant, they share in that triumph. They are victorious (i.e. sit on thrones) when the Word of God is victorious! The power of the Gospel is such that the reign of the truth is spoken of symbolically (Revelation is, after all, a book of symbols) as a thousand year reign. One thousand years suggest completeness, fullness, totality. When the Gospel is preached in all its original power and purity, then it has the capability to fully, completely, and totally overpwer the influence of the Devil. When this happens, the martyrs who gave their lives for the Gospel's sake share in its triumph (cf. Romans 1:16, 8:37).
3. Reveleation 20 also warns that Satan can be loosed! How? By the failure of Christ's followers to proclaim the Gospel. Where the voice of the Gospel is not heard, then the influence of Satan rages unchecked.
4. Finally, Revelation 20 confirms that there is a coming day of Universal Judgment when all mankind will be summoned to give an account of the things done in the body (Revelation 20:12-15).

Premillennialism is wrong because it misunderstands the nature of the thousand year reign!

IS THIS THE END?
Premillennialism has built its popularity on its sense of immediacy. It claims to provide an insight into the near future. Those who preach the doctrines of Premillennialism are convinced that the end of the present order of things is at hand. Pat Boone wrote concerning the Second Coming of Christ: "...the signs that it's about to happen are everywhere." In the original edition of THE LATE GREAT PLANET EARTH, Hal Lindsey theorized that the end would come within 40 years of the founding of Israel, which took place in 1948. In more recent editions of the book, Lindsey somewhat modifies his prediction, but in the movie version, he strongly suggests that the end will come before the end of the 20th Century. The 20th Century has now become the 21st Century and the end did not come.

It should be remembered that speculations about the Second Coming of Christ are not at all new. In the 2nd Century, Montanus of Phrygia proclaimed the imminent return of the Lord. During the Reformation, the German theologian Melchoir Hoffman set the time of Christ's return as October 22, 1844. In 1920, J.F. Rutherford, head of the Jehovah's Witnesses, wrote a book entitled MILLIONS NOW LIVING SHALL NEVER DIE in which claimed that 1925 would be the year of Restoration when Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob would be restored to life in visible form (pp. 88-89, 100). More recent literature by the Jehovah's Witnesses predicted that the present age would come to an end in the Fall of 1975 (LIFE EVERLASTING IN FREEDOM OF THE SONS OF GOD, page 29)! Surely the long list of those who have misread the "signs of the times" should caution us against any extreme or extravagant predictions concerning future things!

What does the Bible say about the future?
1. Christ Is Coming Again. "This Jesus, Who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven. (Acts 1:11)"
2. Christ Is Coming Unexpectedly. Jesus Himself plainly said "you do not know the day nor the hour (Matthew 25:13)." He also said: "For this reason you be ready too; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think He will (Matthew 24:44)." Clearly, Jesus did not expect men to be able to unlock the secret of the time of His coming! In fact, He went so far as to say: "But of that day or hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone (Mark 13:32)." Even Jesus Himself does not know the time the Father has chosen for His return! Anyone claiming to gauge the future by reading the "signs of the times" is claiming a knowledge denied to the Angels of Heaven and the Son of God. The time of Christ's return is both unknown and unknowable!
3. We Must Make Ready Now! Since we cannot know at what time the Lord may come, we must be ready at all times. The coming of Jesus may be soon or distant, but our only opportunity for making ready for His return is NOW (2 Corinthians 6:2)! The question is not: "When is Christ coming?" but "Will I be ready?" Jesus said, "Take heed, keep on the alert; for you do not know when the appointed time is (Mark 13:33)."

"But the day of the Lord will come like a thief..." (2 Peter 3:10)

Upvote 0

rexboykin

Jul 2, 2010
Kansas City (Southern Part)
Visit site
✟15,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are there women angels? None whatsoever. I was watching "Touched By An Angel" years ago and I knew something was definitely wrong with this show, which is based out of scripture. So, one day, I talked to my preacher about this and asked him if there are any women angels? He said that angels have no sex but they do appear male/masculine. Every passage in the Bible where they mention angels, every angel is male. Read God's Word and see for yourselves. I will have more later on other subjects and issues.

I don't want to come off as 'unkind' or insensitive, so understand my heart is to focus on obtaining truth. While it is a 'good idea' to seek counsel from spiritual people it is not the safest guide in terms of determining truth. Acts 17:10-11 is an excellent reference as to one's personal responsibility concerning discerning truth from error.

Whether we like it or not, ALL people are opinionated and biased (yes, even preachers). I have been asked, "What do we believe about this or that?" on hundreds of occasions. "We" is the operative word here. It betrays a 'party spirit' (schisms). It is not unlike the issues the Master dealt with throughout his earthly ministry. Scribes, Pharisees, Sadducees, Essenes, Herodians, and many lessor known Jewish sects dictated the perceptions and interpretations of the 'lay people' in their particular group. This is a human tendency. It is trusting the 'arm of flesh' which will eventually fail.

Paul instructed Timothy to study to show himself approved ... personal Bible study cannot be accomplished vicariously, hence the 'personal' part of Bible study. If we depend on someone else for our understanding we can fall prey to all manners of misinformation, even with 'good' intentions.

Read the Bible and develop study skills to prevent hazardous vulnerability. It is THAT simple. It requires discipline and dedication. It demonstrates one's absolute dependence upon God and his inspired word as opposed to someone's views, education, etc. The restoration movement is premised on individual responsibility to know God's word for oneself.

If we fail to personally study and know God's word, we eventually evolve into a denomination, albeit a non-denomination-denomination. There are no shortcuts in the process.

There was a day when restoration folks were known for the individual Bible knowledge they possessed. That day is gone when we depend on our spiritual leaders for authoritative direction.

Preachers, teachers and elders should refer people to the Word of God. They should recommend reading Scripture instead of books about Scripture, or 'unwritten' but widely 'accepted' interpretations of Scripture. Become a man or woman of THE BOOK and not a follower of men. Otherwise, one digresses into a discussion of 'my preacher is smarter, more spiritual and scriptural than your preacher.' This is a terrible woe and encompasses ALL 'groups' of religious people.

Upvote 0