australia
✟20,306.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone here, just had a question about something I thought would be best posted here.

What do you think it means to have a "teachable spirit"? I've heard that it is a core part of being a successful Christian - and it will bring about prosperity and blessing.

Does the word mean to openly and gladly receive correction, discipline and rebuke from authorities and other people in your life, allowing them to speak into your life so that you can be taught and grow in character? When making important decisions, does a person with a teachable spirit go to seek wisdom and advice from their leaders, pastors, parents (earthly authorities) and word of God plus Holy Spirit for guidance?

Or does it mean something else to you?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Saint Beloved

Saint Beloved

Site Supporter
May 10, 2017
uk
✟62,522.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone here, just had a question about something I thought would be best posted here.

What do you think it means to have a "teachable spirit"? I've heard that it is a core part of being a successful Christian - and it will bring about prosperity and blessing.

Does the word mean to openly and gladly receive correction, discipline and rebuke from authorities and other people in your life, allowing them to speak into your life so that you can be taught and grow in character? When making important decisions, does a person with a teachable spirit go to seek wisdom and advice from their leaders, pastors, parents (earthly authorities) and word of God plus Holy Spirit for guidance?

I'd agree with that taking correction is necessary, love is obedience.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Meekness.
upload_2017-5-18_14-55-46.jpeg
Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the land.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To have a teachable spirit is to "be open".
Willing to receive and YET being careful who/what you receive from.
Always test the spirit, the word or the teaching and guidance given.
Not everyone will be sound and true, that part is left in your hands.
Allow the Holy Spirit to be your greatest teacher, He can teach you all things.
Pray over the things you are shown or taught, if something doesn't feel right,
then weigh it and wait, allow the Lord and His word to guide you.
Be open, but always be careful.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Agree with others.

We're to "Study to shew thyself approved unto God,..." II Tim 2:15 Yet we need to watch out and not become dogmatic that we're the only ones with the truth. We're all proud of our opinions and conclusions.

This applies to every area of our lives. Ever tried to talk with a teen about a matter that they've already made up their mind maintaining an opposite point of view? Of course, I'll probably give myself a smack if I could go back to that time.

Wonder if we're unteachable in one area are we usually unteachable in most others?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gluttonous Winebibber

May 7, 2017
Sterling Heights
✟22,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What do you think it means to have a "teachable spirit"?

Matthew 18:2-4

Adopt this mindset every time you read the bible, and your understanding will increase greatly with prayer, for God now finds you teachable.

Upvote 0

MikeBigg

Apr 13, 2010
Hampshire, UK
✟17,374.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Being teachable ...

some people have fixed ideas about things and can't be taught. No matter how much you say, their opinion never changes.

Being teachable is about being open to consider what the other person is saying and maybe even changing your mind about things you've held to for years.

I think it is an important trait for a Christian to have - God has certainly taken me on a journey of new discoveries about Him over the years - some of that has been through listening to other Christians.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you think it means to have a "teachable spirit"? I've heard that it is a core part of being a successful Christian
Have you ever been around a kid who is eager to learn some new skill or information? They almost suck information and experience out of you.

OTOH, Have you ever been around a (usually older) kid who "knows it all" and disregards anything you try to tell him/her?

That is what having a teachable spirit looks like (the first) and what NOT having a teachable spirit looks like. (the latter)

Upvote 0