Not open for further replies.

melanie1

Oct 15, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
✟174.00
Faith
Christian
OK, here's a new believer here. Now after stumping my toe really hard I said sh**. Now I have been informed that if you do this you were never saved to begin with or those words could not come out of your mouth. I still feel the presence of God. Is that because I am still under conviction? I have already professed Christ as my Lord?

*Miau*

♥ Inspired to Serve †
Nov 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟8,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Umm... I accidently swear once in a while myself - And i still believe that I'm saved.
Sinning seperates you from God, and man's been a sinner for as long as the world's excisted - God was unhappy about that, because He actually didn't want his people to go to hell, so he sent His son to tell us about the eternal Love of God - and in the end God sacrificed His son FOR US! - For OUR salvation! You are saved - repent and god will forgive you. And read your Bible :D
That was a very short answer to your question - it could have been much longer, but dinner is ready now! ;)
God bless you,
Anette

Upvote 0

*Miau*

♥ Inspired to Serve †
Nov 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟8,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
melanie1 said:
This is the reason I was afraid to commit to God in the first place. I knew I couldn't be perfect. This has put a real scare in me. Now I am confused.
Nobody is perfect - nobody except Jesus Christ. The Lord knows that we aren't perfect, He knows we're sinners, He knows that we turn away from him - and yet He loves you.

The Bible (NIV) said:
Matthew 12
31And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.
And
The Bible (NIV) said:
Matthew 18

21Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?"
22Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.[1]
23"Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants.
This is to show you that there's no limit to how many times you can be forgiven. Jesus really loves you, and I Bet God wished that nobody would have to suffer from eternal damnation - unfortunately we have our free will. Melanie, you've turned to god, you've committed your life to Him, praise the Lord, be forever greatful for the gift He's given you - salvation! repent and pray and grow in Christ!!
Have you joined a church?

Upvote 0

Salvatore Gonzales

SOGrecondo
Jan 24, 2004
Michigan
✟15,876.00
Faith
Christian
melanie1 said:
This is the reason I was afraid to commit to God in the first place. I knew I couldn't be perfect. This has put a real scare in me. Now I am confused.

God knows you (I or we) can't be perfect.

On your original topic of "what separates us from God"
--this is a hard question to address. In fact, it
is a BIG question that has been pondered for 1000s
of years. There was much written by the jewish
mystics (Kabbalists) and gnostics on this question.
It fills a library.

We are never really "separate" from God. We are all
a part of God's creation.

Jesus was our bridge from the world that we perceive
with out senses and the spiritual realm of God. Jesus
was not separate from God ("I and the Father are
One"). I weep with joy at this saying!

:angel:

Upvote 0

Salvatore Gonzales

SOGrecondo
Jan 24, 2004
Michigan
✟15,876.00
Faith
Christian
melanie1 said:
Also there is a lot of debate going on in my own head. Jesus gives us salvation only once. If you screw it up and lose it by cursing then how does one get salvation back again?

I'm going to refer you to a contemporary book (rather than
one of the dusty ancient ones) which I think will help you
out a lot at this stage:

"The Purpose-Driven Life" by Rick Warren

This is a great book on the faith. We have used it as a
basis for our small group ministry here in Michigan and
it has hit like a winter storm!

Upvote 0

Isaiah 53

Catholic Apologist
Sep 30, 2003
Germany
Visit site
✟6,314.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
melanie1 said:
OK, here's a new believer here. Now after stumping my toe really hard I said sh**. Now I have been informed that if you do this you were never saved to begin with or those words could not come out of your mouth. I still feel the presence of God. Is that because I am still under conviction? I have already professed Christ as my Lord?
I love the innocence of a question like this!!

Sin seperates us from God. Sin that is unrepented or unatoned for. Jesus atoned, payed for, our sins upon the cross. When you place your faith in Him your sins are atoned, or paid in full. Does that mean you will no longer sin? No. That means, now you have a means of repentance.

Before you came to Christ would you have thought twice about cursing after stubbing your toe? I would dare say, no you wouldn't. The mear fact that you feel this conviction and need of repentance is proof of the gift already received. When you gave your life to Christ, God sent His Holy Spirit to dwell in you, to teach you, comfort you, and yes convict you of sin.

This is not a 'free license' to sin. Because the very presence of God living within you gives you the ability to chose to sin or not. Before you had no choice, you were a slave to sin and your sinful nature.

So, when you sin (because you will, we all do) when you feel that conviction, pray, repent and 'go and sin no more'!

Do not stop from trying to be more Christ like every day! That should be your goal and practice. But God will not take the gift of Salvation away from you once you have accepted it. The fact that you are worried about losing it is a good indication that you have truly accepted it. Hope this helps!

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!

Reactions: Polycarp1
Upvote 0

Dad Ernie

Nov 28, 2003
Salem, Oregon, USA
Visit site
✟2,980.00
Faith
Protestant
melanie1 said:
Also there is a lot of debate going on in my own head. Jesus gives us salvation only once. If you screw it up and lose it by cursing then how does one get salvation back again?
Greetings Melanie1,

From the innocence of your question, I would venture to believe that you are saved, and you will remain saved if you listen to that voice in your head that keeps telling you that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Learn the "Our Father's prayer". It is guidelines on how we should pray on a daily basis. The enemy wants you to feel defeated and to overcome you with fear. When you believe you have blown it, take it to God and sincerely ask for forgiveness and help in repenting from anything that would "grieve the Holy Spirit".

Jesus was tempted by Satan 3 different times and each time Jesus responded with the Word of God taken right from the Scriptures. This is your SWORD you can use to overcome the flesh and Satan. Combined with faith it is also a shield and this was how Jesus used it when confronted with Satan's enticements to sin.

There are very few characters in the Bible who appear not to have sinned. David was a man after God's own heart, yet you look at his life and much of it was sin. Peter sinned. Jesus looked directly at him one time and said "Get thee behind me Satan." Paul once had to severely rebuke him for some of his activities.

So do not worry, fret or fear, precious one of the Lord, He will never leave you nor forsake you.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Upvote 0

melanie1

Oct 15, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
✟174.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks all.I needed a quick rescue and all of you gave me that. I think God will forgive sins even after you are saved. The scripture teaches that. Oh yes and one I came across said " Don't you know it is the goodness of God that leads us to repent" So, I figured if I felt like repenting it was God leading me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
melanie1 said:
Nope, that's not conviction, that's guilt. And whoever informed you of this, don't listen to any theology they have to offer.

God's conviction will lead to repentance, and reconcilliation, never pushes you away, and never makes you feel like you are not a child of God.

Upvote 0

Isaiah 53

Catholic Apologist
Sep 30, 2003
Germany
Visit site
✟6,314.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Svt4Him said:
Nope, that's not conviction, that's guilt. And whoever informed you of this, don't listen to any theology they have to offer.

God's conviction will lead to repentance, and reconcilliation, never pushes you away, and never makes you feel like you are not a child of God.
Please, inform me. What would be the difference between guilt and conviction? The guilt you feel is the conviction that leads you to repentance. You certainly are painting a broad brush advising others from listening to very sound theology.

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!!

Upvote 0

12volt_man

Jan 8, 2004
✟9,150.00
Faith
Christian
Svt4Him said:

You know, that's pretty profound. For all of my talk about grace, I honestly never thought of the differences between guilt and conviction.

Thank you for that. That ought to keep me busy for a while.

Upvote 0

Isaiah 53

Catholic Apologist
Sep 30, 2003
Germany
Visit site
✟6,314.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But, the sinful act does seperate us from God, we cannot receive the blessing He has in store for us if we have unrepented sin in our lives.

The Spirit will move you to repentence, you can ingore Him and if you do, you will feel seperated from God. Have you lost your salvation? No, but God will not use an unrepented sinner for His purposes.

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!!

Upvote 0

Lady Jaina

Jesus_freakette
Jan 13, 2004
USA
Visit site
✟387.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There is a verse that says that "nothing can't snatch them out of my father's hand" Jesus said this to reassure us that we could never loose our salvation. Another verse, Romans 8:38-39 (it might be 28 and 29) pretty much says that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING can separate us from God's love. I while back, I had a problem with language, and I suppose that many Christians go through this, but this doens't mean you aren't saved. As long as you don't willfully say these words and are truly sorry afterward, there is nothing wrong in your relationship with God. Just ask him to forgive you and to help you stop saying things like that. Sometimes it helps to have a strong Christian hold you accountable, or to think up alternative words to say. But when you stop feeling guilty about cussing, etc, you might want to examine your relationship with God. You will always be saved, but you CAN fall out of His will. But if you tell him you are sorry and truly repent, he'll ALWAYS forgive you. If you still have questions, feel free to email or PM me! God Bless, and I hoped this helped. :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

harmmony

Jan 5, 2004
Sunny Queensland
✟8,007.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Svt4Him said:

Well put, Svt4Him, I agree that there is a clear difference between conviction and guilt. I believe as Svt4Him says that conviction comes from God, a reminder that we have sinned so that you can be right with God again by repenting.

Melanie1 you have to remember that once you have asked God for His forgiveness it's all forgotten as far as He is concerned - God says that your sin is as far from Him as the east is from the west, that's infinite (Psalm 103:12). So, you have to put it behind you as well. The fact that you are still thinking about it is definitely guilt, and guilt comes from Satan. Because, while you are being guilty about something that God has forgiven you for, you are putting a distance between you and God, because guilt is usually accompanied by shame and shame makes you hide your face from God and so your closeness with Him is affected - just exactly what Satan wants. So in answer to what separates us from God, guilt is most definitely one thing that will and as Isaiah53 said, ignoring God's convictions is another way.

So Melanie1 please ignore this advice and know that God forgives and you must forgive yourself as well. As you know, Jesus is the only person who never sinned, so don't hold yourself up to a standard that you can't attain, you and I will always be sinners, God knows this, loves us in spite of it and forgives when we are genuinely repentant. I think you are very much on the right road in your walk with God. :D You are a real blessing to Him.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi melanie1

I am so sorry you were told this . . the theology of those who told you this is very bad . . and as a new christian, it can be very damaging . .

When you become a Christian and your sins are forgiven, you still have old habits, old ways of thinking, things that you bring from before into the new life you have in Christ . . these things are not magically 'gone' . . they affect you and can lead you to sin . .

But if we sin, as children of God, we still have an advocate with God . .

1Jo 2:1
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

If we are expected to be perfect from the moment we become Christians and never sin again, then what would there be for christians to confess? We are told to confess our sins to one another (I would be very careful about how to do this . . Catholicism has a very strict structure for doing this to protect the individual from their darkest secrest being exposed by a less than trustworthy individual . . I don't know of any Protestant church that can offer such safety . .

Jam 5:16
Confess yourfaults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Here is this verse in different translations:

Jam 5:16

(ALT) You* yourselves be confessing your transgressions to one another, and be praying for one another, in order that you* shall be healed [or, restored]. [The] petition of a righteous [person] itself has very powerful [or, many supernatural] effects.

(ASV) Confess therefore your sins one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The supplication of a righteous man availeth much in its working.

(BBE) So then, make a statement of your sins to one another, and say prayers for one another so that you may be made well. The prayer of a good man is full of power in its working.

(CEV) If you have sinned, you should tell each other what you have done. Then you can pray for one another and be healed. The prayer of an innocent person is powerful, and it can help a lot.

(Darby) Confess therefore your offences to one another, and pray for one another, that ye may be healed. The fervent supplication of the righteous man has much power.

(DRB) Confess therefore your sins one to another: and pray one for another, that you may be saved. For the continual prayer of a just man availeth much.

(EMTV) Confess your transgressions to one another, and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of the righteous is very powerful.

(GB) Acknowledge your faultes one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed: for the prayer of a righteous man auaileth much, if it be feruent.

(GNB) So then, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, so that you will be healed. The prayer of a good person has a powerful effect.

(HNV) Confess your offenses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The insistent prayer of a righteous person is powerfully effective.

(ISV) Therefore, make it your habit to confess your sins to one another and to pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

(KJV+) Confess1843your faults3900 one to another,240 and2532 pray2172 one for another,240, 5228 that3704 ye may be healed.2390 The effectual fervent1754 prayer1162 of a righteous man1342 availeth2480 much.4183(KJVA) Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

(LITV) Confess to one another the deviations from the Law, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. Very strong is a righteous petition, being made effective.

(YLT) Be confessing to one another the trespasses, and be praying for one another, that ye may be healed; very strong is a working supplication of a righteous man;

Hope this is helpful!

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There have been some wonderful thoughtful and compassionate posts in this thread, and I think everyone who has posted deserves a star in their crown for what they said in response to the OP.

All I want to add is the cite from Romans 8 that has already been referenced, and which answers the question in full for me:
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with sighs too deep for words.
27: And he who searches the hearts of men knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
28: We know that in everything God works for good with those who love him, who are called according to his purpose.
29: For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the first-born among many brethren.
30: And those whom he predestined he also called; and those whom he called he also justified; and those whom he justified he also glorified.
31: What then shall we say to this? If God is for us, who is against us?
32: He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, will he not also give us all things with him?
33: Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies;
34: who is to condemn? Is it Christ Jesus, who died, yes, who was raised from the dead, who is at the right hand of God, who indeed intercedes for us?
35: Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36: As it is written, "For thy sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered."
37: No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.
38: For I am sure that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers,
39: nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Isaiah 53 said:
Please, inform me. What would be the difference between guilt and conviction? The guilt you feel is the conviction that leads you to repentance. You certainly are painting a broad brush advising others from listening to very sound theology.

PEACE IN CHRIST!!!!
How sound is theology that says if you swear, you aren't a Christian? You may be a bad Christian, you may be a work in progress, you may even repent of it in the future, but I see no sin that grace doesn't cover, in the event someone loves God and follows Him with their heart.

Upvote 0

Melbelle

Deadheadmakeup
Mar 22, 2004
Texas
Visit site
✟53,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
melanie1 said:

Just because you swear don't mean you don't have God anymore, there is only one unforgiven sin and that is blasphemy against the holy spirit.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.