• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What does Schizophrenia look like?

mac chgo

Oct 15, 2011
✟7,611.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
My dear brother has been dx w schizophrenia. There are times when he is fine - seems well grounded, and there are times when he is angry, threatening violence, fantasizing, and frightening. Is that to be expected? I have a sister who says since he promised not to do this again, we are done w this behavior. I have another brother who says he cannot ever control this. Another sister says he's just manipulating us. My heart goes out to my brother. I know he didnt choose this, but since he has beaten me up in the past (not severely) in a sudden out- burst of violence, I'm kind of scared of him still. What do you think?

forGod1

Jul 29, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
✟9,232.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Schizophrenia is a scary illness, and isn't always as easy to treat as people seem to always to suggest. Some people are lucky, some people aren't.. I know a schizophrenic who is quick to anger and his anger even scares me. You may very well have reason to worry about your own safety.

Upvote 0

Lone sheep

Oct 21, 2011
✟7,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
:thumbsup:You are a truly patient person.
People with this illness do things that they normaly wouldnt.Everything to them appears to be a threat and they feel so alone.Your brother is lucky to have someone like you there for him.It has been said that one of the best things for someone suffering from schizophrenia is understanding and support.

That being said you should take measures to protect yourself until he is medicated.:(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lincsman11

Oct 21, 2011
✟7,624.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
schizophrenia is where someone is paranoid all the time and maybe has delusions. Sometimes they have voices that tell them to do violent things. The stigma that mentally ill people are dangerous has some truth to it, but most of the time the illness in itself doesn't cause a person to be dangerous. Typically, though, the rule of thumb is that if they are medicated they will be fine, and if someone with the illness is not medicated or treated in any way they will act potentially rude or maybe violent if you scare them too much.

Upvote 0

katiemate

Oct 18, 2011
✟15,118.00
Faith
Christian
What is helping me schizophrenia:

God
Prayer
Listening to worship music
Praising God
putting it all in God's hands and learning to trust Him. Trusting that He is renewing my mind.
Being willing to receive God's love, forgiveness, grace, through Christ.
Reading the bible and proclaiming the truth out loud
Reading and speaking psalms, hymns during attacks.
Joyce Meyer teaching cd's
Medication
DBT Therapy
Trusting who I am in Christ and trying not to look too much at how I am manifesting at this time.

What is helping you guys?

Upvote 0

vinigar

Apr 14, 2012
✟7,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have tried all of that already, this is very serious. I see the evilest things, they look like satan in a black suit, and I have seen evil-looking beings cloaked in black. I have also seen what appear to be non-humans, they are floruesent brown beings, no clothing. I also see people, many different people. I know this sounds crazy, but I am perfectly sane. And spirits speak through me, I can feel them inside of me on occasion. They say I am a ghost-computer, I dont know what that means, or if it is just another of the lies they speak, they claim I should be dead already, I believe this is true. I trust in Jesus and God and cannot take this constant torture, but try to endure. Recently my radio has started making static noises without being turned on.
And something scratches at my window with claws, or long nails. Somehow my daughter has discovered that she know it is spirits, she does not live with me, but for some reason she believes she has no free will, thinks she is being puppetmastered, but does not know why she thinks this. She does not suffer from this, but on one occasion when she was driving, she fell asleep and someone tapped her on the shoulder and woke her up. She was alone in the car. I also suffer from spirits tapping me, pushing me among other things, they do physically afflict me constantly. They bang on the walls and only one time moved an object. It all sounds like insanity, but if you spoke to me in person, you would discover me to be sane and good-natured.
I am scared, to say the least. I often listen to gospel music, but on two seperate occasions heard the same Michael W. Smith song being sung either in a foreign language, or sung backwards. My voices claim that the devil is in music as he is in electronics, they say electronics are unnatural and that it is unnatural to, as they say, murder your minds with music, quiet is natural, not the constant blaring of t.v.'s and music. They say the devil is the author of the internet. I know the Bible says there would be a sudden increase in technology in end times. Yes, Christian sights are on the internet, but how many are being destroyed by the inappropriate content sights and occult sights, particularly kids. This is something people should think about, my voices often lie, but on this issue I believe it is the truth.

Upvote 0

muarader64

Oct 24, 2008
✟7,746.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Bible can be dangerous in the hands of a schizophrenic, and can drive one mad. I wouldn't recommend too much of it for one, especially if you're in isolation/have no friends.
Shoot, the voices TOLD me to read the bible, and I fell into having such delusion, that even my pastor couldn't break me out of it. Your reality can warp to feed the delusion even! There is a God and Jesus Christ indeed, and there is also the devil. Pray the Lord doesn't remove his protective hedges from round bout you!

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First let me say that I do not suffer with any form of schizophrenia or schizo-affective disorder, but am posting to offer support to those who do, or to those who have a friend or relative who does.

I really think--imo-- that this is one disorder that truly does require medication. The thinking process appears to be so vibrant and real to the patient that they will do really dangerous and bizarre activities. The medication helps turn down the voices and miserable self talk too.

One of the main problems with someone who suffers with this disorder is in the area of medication. Many will not even try any medication, and this is sad. Then, those who do try the medication, while experiencing good results overall, may suddenly feel as though they are cured and don't need it and quit taking it. At that time they fall back into the pit of the disorder again. :(

My heart and prayers go out to you...and ask that God give you more clarity of mind than not. I have won people to the Lord during a time of lucidity...and we all must do our best when we can no matter with what we suffer.
icon12.gif

Here's a free schizophrenia screening test online that you can use or give to someone who is suffering but may not want to see their MD. http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/schizophrenia.htm (Hopefully if they score high they WILL go see their MD and treat this as soon as possible.)

And the link to the National Institute of Health's page on schizophrenia. It is rare in children, tends to show up in ages 20-35 and is rarely diagnosed as late as age 45. :hug:
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/schizophrenia/complete-index.shtml

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums