what does proverb 17:4 and how does it apply to us?

TravelerFarAwayFromHome

Broken but loved
Jan 16, 2013
✟27,939.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
A wicked person listens to deceitful lips; a liar pays attention to a destructive tongue

i have met people who because of the sickness in their own heart, actively look for opportunities to listen to slander about others and then project their own hatred from past experience onto the target of slander, even if target of slander has never done anything to them, or even was very nice to them

does this passage means God does look kindly not just on people who are slanderers themselves, but people with a wicked heart who are actively looking to listen and believe in slanders?

if so, how do we Christians avoid this

i say this because in today's world, media seem to get less neutral and neutral, instead of presenting facts in a clinical manner, they present opinion pieces that often does not present complete facts.

recently i was watching Tucker Carlson, and i realized even though i agree with many of the things he said on the episodes i have seen, i walked away with so much hatred in mine heart.

i also realize it makes me more eager to listen other presenters that talks like him

it applies to MSMBC

also some Christian media appears to have the same effect on me.....

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A wicked person listens to deceitful lips; a liar pays attention to a destructive tongue

i have met people who because of the sickness in their own heart, actively look for opportunities to listen to slander about others and then project their own hatred from past experience onto the target of slander, even if target of slander has never done anything to them, or even was very nice to them

does this passage means God does look kindly not just on people who are slanderers themselves, but people with a wicked heart who are actively looking to listen and believe in slanders?

if so, how do we Christians avoid this

i say this because in today's world, media seem to get less neutral and neutral, instead of presenting facts in a clinical manner, they present opinion pieces that often does not present complete facts.

recently i was watching Tucker Carlson, and i realized even though i agree with many of the things he said on the episodes i have seen, i walked away with so much hatred in mine heart.

i also realize it makes me more eager to listen other presenters that talks like him

it applies to MSMBC

also some Christian media appears to have the same effect on me.....

I would say we need great discretion. I know what you are talking about. I don't listen often to talk radio nor Christian programs because I find myself becoming more angry. The anger is often based upon true reporting, but the anger solves nothing. I know the evil that is in this world, but I have to choose to look upon the good because, in truth, the good is still much greater than the evil.

Someone once said that the definition of good is that if functions properly. When things work well, you do not notice it. But when things go wrong it becomes glaringly obvious. There is so much that works well that we have to consciously take notice of it to realize that there is more good than evil.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
recently i was watching Tucker Carlson, and i realized even though i agree with many of the things he said on the episodes i have seen, i walked away with so much hatred in mine heart. I also realize it makes me more eager to listen other presenters that talks like him. It applies to MSMBC. Also some Christian media appears to have the same effect on me.....

Yep. Sounds like you are learning a lesson. Like Alex, I no longer watch the news. I did for a brief time before the 2016 Presidential elections because of the spiritual implications involved. But I immediately went back to shutting news completely out of my life. It's brainwashing, which is what makes it so insulting to the intelligence.

And yes, I do find that some Christian programming has the same effect on me, so I frankly don't listen to a ton of that anymore either, but that's mainly because I've grown spiritually to the point where I receive so much instruction directly from the word myself that there's not much need. Were I still young in the Lord I would still have to sail the stormy seas so to speak, lol.

But if He is teaching you this lesson now, I suggest you learn it. Trust me, the anger will NOT go away. It will get more and more intense, because things only seem to get worse, not better.

Follow Philippians 4:8, and put all the negative and offensive voices behind you.

God bless,
In Christ,
Hidden

Reactions: readywriter
Upvote 0