Bombila

Veteran
Nov 28, 2006
✟13,256.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
My question to fated is: what taxpayer provided financial benefits do childless married straight couples get in your country? In my country, childless married couples, straight or gay, do not pay less taxes or get any financial benefits as a perk of being married than unmarried couples or single people.

The benefits of legal marriage for childless couples are rights of kinship (for medical care ), property rights in the event of divorce, inheritance rights in the event of death. None of these rights involve taxpayers putting out.

The only area I can think of where some tax revenue might be redirected is in the case of one partner becoming a dependent of the other, because of inability to work, in which case the working partner is given a small tax break. But if the disabled partner was not married, and a dependent, it is likely the state would have to spend considerably more money on their care and maintenance, which means the state, thus the taxpayer, wins again.

So aside from your lack of knowledge of the prevalence and realities of same sex parenting, what exactly is your objection to same sex marriage and equal rights?

Upvote 0
R

Renton405

We demand equal protection under the law. (in other words, the police cannot ignore the victim of a gay-bashing just because you assume s/he is gay.)

We demand equality in the workplace. (in other words, you cannot fire somebody just because you assume s/he is gay.)

We demand equality in housing. (in other words, you cannot deny an apartment or a home loan to somebody just because you assume s/he is gay.)

We demand equal access to all the responsibilities and benefits of marriage. (in other words, you cannot deny hospital visitation rights, social security survivor benefits, medical decision making, - - - [the list is over 1,000] - - - just because we are gay.)

We ask only for equality. There is not one single thing that we have asked for that you do not already have yourself.

ETA: The laws of this country are not based upon whether its citizens "ordinarily" have children.

The Laws are however based on definitions. And the definition of marriage is a union with man and woman. In order for it to be marriage there must be the ability to pro-create. Otherwise its a contradiction in terms. you can't force a piece where it dosen't fit, not matter how hard you try. So it is by default that marriage and homosexual "unions" cannot be.

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
According to the national survey of family growth 2004: 65,500 children were adopted by same sex couples between 2002 and 2004, about 5% of al adoptions. 14,100 children are in foster homes headed by gay/lesbian so about 1 in ten children in foster care. 50% of homosexuals under the age of 30 wish to adopt a child.

From a more personal end. I have a friend who is a social worker employed in adoption. She and her co-workers actively recruit same sex couples because they not only make stable loving families they are willing to adopt less desirable children (older than six months, mixed race, handicapped)

so...not that rare at all.

please explain why you are advocating discrimination agaisnt these families
In what way did I advocate discriminating of these families?

You said:

ah...
please explain why you are putting words in my mouth and demonizing me?

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Its degrading to ignore the struggle for equality that so many Americans had to and continue to endure
When you struggle to ignore something obvious and change the definition of one of the oldest words in humanity, you have got to expect some resistance. There is a lot of room for prudential resistance here.

Upvote 0
B

BigBadWlf

The Laws are however based on definitions. And the definition of marriage is a union with man and woman. In order for it to be marriage there must be the ability to pro-create. Otherwise its a contradiction in terms. you can't force a piece where it dosen't fit, not matter how hard you try. So it is by default that marriage and homosexual "unions" cannot be.
Cite the exact law that says that man and women must be capable of reproduction to be legally married

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

But definitions, at least legal ones, can and do change all the time. Fifty years ago the legal definition of marriage was "a man and woman of the same race". So, per your logic, interracial marriage should still be illegal because they never should have changed the definition.

I've also pointed out that some couples are required by states to be unable to reproduce -- thus your claim that to be a marriage there must be an ability to procreate is proven false. Perhaps, however you can tell me about your experience in proving to the state that you were able to procreate before you were allowed to marry.

Upvote 0

Adivi

Feb 21, 2008
✟15,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Should sterile people be allowed to marry? If so, then how come the 'there must be the ability to procreate' argument does not apply to them?

Upvote 0
B

BigBadWlf

In what way did I advocate discriminating of these families?

You said:

ah...
please explain why you are putting words in my mouth and demonizing me?
We are all still waiting for you to back up your claim:

“Prevalence of breakdown of same-sex couples is much higher than married couples.”
http://christianforums.com/showpost.php?p=43903738&postcount=47

if you decline to provide appropriate references or retract that claim entirely we will be left with no alternative than to assume you purposefully lied when you made that claim

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

So I guess you really didn’t want statistics on the topic after all

That is fairly impressive...

This is 1 in 6 US children or 1 in 7 live with a gay parent.

Probably deserves another look...

This gets right to the point:
Are children of gay couples as healthy as those of similarly prosperous typically fertile sexed* couples?

*I love the term breeding, we should keep using it!

Isn't that what I said would happen?

Do you have a source?

According to the research…yes
Do you have published peer reviewed research that says otherwise?

Dude. I totally linked to my sources in the very post you quoted. That's what those pretty blue underlined words are, links to my sources. You'll also note the quote, right under the source it is from. You made a random assertion.

What information are you asking for me to source in this round-about way?

Please provide actual evidence to back up this claim

Cite the exact law that says that man and women must be capable of reproduction to be legally married

We are all still waiting for you to back up your claim:

“Prevalence of breakdown of same-sex couples is much higher than married couples.”

if you decline to provide appropriate references or retract that claim entirely we will be left with no alternative than to assume you purposefully lied when you made that claim

This seems like it is trolling me, but I'll let it pass...
First, I entered this discussion not to discuss marriage, but to understand what rights "pro-gay-rights" is about.

Many of these posts are asking/revolving around the citation of studies, which all come from the internet and are more likely than not skewed toward one position or the other. The "assertion" I made, which came with qualifying context, got the response I assumed it would have.

I have no intention of citing sources for this information. Everyone here is capable of looking for resources or not. I will say that there appears to be more break-ups and extramarital sex among same-sex couples based, in small part, on a Time magazine article I read. None of my discussion points, at this time, have any need of this statistic, however, so I don't need to spend time debating (with bad studies from both side).

Marriage is a the most contentious issue of course.

Any objective person can clearly see that there is a biological difference between the sexual relations of same-sex couples and heterosexual couples. Simple.

Now the qualification always comes up about having children and so forth. I pointed out at the beginning of this discussion that the current system needed some work.

I don't mind certain rights being transferable.

I do believe, however, that when it comes to money, one needs to carefully consider what is going to happen. Clearly the money would start going to a very different demographic than it does today... Is that what we want?

I'm saying no, that is not what we want. We want a just system in either case. We don't need to subsidize people who enjoy all the financial benefits of living with another person, when the money would be better used as renumeration for those who do raise children.

Further, I asserted that the marital contract should be strengthened, as it is not really all that stable of an agreement as it is, and there are (to generalize) some indications that simply sticking out the relationship a bit longer can make the situation much better.

Finally, you cannot assert that it is unreasonable to insist on skepticism when a foundational law and definition are to be changed. We have a judicious precedent here, and it needs to be taken seriously.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Child Outcome.
· Children conceived by lesbian mother through DI found to be just as well adjusted as children born to heterosexual couple. (Flaks, et. al, 1995)
· Adolescents of lesbian mother no different in self-esteem than from heter. mother. (Huggins, 1989)
· No difference found in IQ or WISC-R (Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children-Revised) between children of lesbians vs. M/F couple. (Green et. al, 1986; Flaks, et. al, 1995)
· No difference in peer relations between children of lesbians and M/F couple. (Golombok, et. al, 1983)
· Self-reports reveal no difference in being teased as a child for adolescent daughters of lesb. compared to M/F. (Green at. al, 1986)
· Not the case for boys: More likely to have been teased than girls about having same-sex parents. (Tasker & Golombok, 1997)
· No difference in psych. adjustment for children of 2 fem. vs. M/F. (Flaks, 1995)
· No difference on measures of emotion, deviant behavior, or relationships. (Golombok, et. al, 1983)
· No difference in likelihood of anxiety or depression in later life for lesbian offspring vs. M/F. (Tasker, 1997)
· Gender Role: children of lesbians just as likely as M/F kids to pick "gender-appropriate toys". (Hoeffer, 1981)

A decent source. Thank you, I'll keep it in mind.

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As half of a heterosexual married couple with no biological children, I firmly resent the comments that marriage is solely for procreation. I also doubt that any nation or state has an official statute law defining marriage as being specifically one man and one woman, though many do in fact delimit what they legally recognize to those bounds. In short, Renton has pulled a definition out of rightist literature and is foisting it as though it's official.

Furthermore, it can be reasonably argued on Scriptural grounds that anyone who claims to believe the Bible to be God's Word and who decides he or she is fit to judge the falseness of another couple's bona fide claim to be married is clearly not him/herself married in the eyes of God -- something that should give pause to all those who claim that any sex without there being a marriage in place is the sin of fornication.

With reference to an assertion by fated earlier refuted with citations by jamielindas, let me point out the distinction between children of single parents and children of committed couples who may not be legally married. While there are many excellent single parents around, as a generalization children of single parents tend to have more emotional and other problems than do children of couples, unless there is/are (an)other adult(s) sharing in the caregiving, e.g., a single parent and his/her children living with the grandparents or with a sibling. The gender make-up and marital status of committed couples do not seem to have a significant difference in the emotional stability and maturation of children -- what counts is that there are two or more caregivers sharing the parenting load. (The one study that says otherwise shows gay couples as better than man/woman couples at parenting, probably an artifact of the sample.)

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree, so gays should be able to marry. The government should not care.

Except this is not a part of marriage now. We do not require any fertility tests prior to marriage. In fact, there are states that actually require some couples to prove they are incapable of having children prior to allowing them to marry.

In point of fact, very few, if any, of the benefits of marriage depend on children. Almost all (and possibly all) of the benefits that are often attributed to married people with children are equally available to single parents.

I'm not aware of any programs that give money to people simply for being married. What programs are you speaking of?

Except, again, you are relying on a purpose for marriage that has been proven false. When we require some people to prove they cannot reproduce before allowing them to marry, when we allow the elderly who are incapable of reproduction.

Maybe a question, about a year ago, Washington state proposed a law that would limit marriage to those who have children. If a couple got married, they had two years to have a child -- if they did not then the state would dissolve their marriage. So, based on your idea that marriage is for reproduction, would you support such a law? Why or why not?

Because you appear to make the assumption that gay couples, or infertile couples, will not adopt, become foster parents, or even use services such as sperm banks, surrogate mothers, etc. to have children.
This piece assumes that no money or taxpayer resources would be affected by the legal change from (I'll make the difference obvious):

Marriage as an institution of those typically fertile (M/F) couples.

To...

Marriage as an institution of those who have a partner.

That is, we add millions of sterile, generally childless couples, and couples with few children.

So, we can clearly conclude a fairly decent demographic shift.

Much of the monetary pieces are things like Social Security payment! I'm sure when discussion martial rights, that this program undoubtedly comes up, right? There is no way to avoid the conclusion that adding these millions of couples to the social security program will damage an already questionable institution.

I'll assume it was an oversight on your part.

Marriage "being based on children" hasn't been "proven false" because a government decided that adopting some law was not prudent. It simply demonstrates that the government has power to make prudent decisions regarding the institution of marriage.

You can level all kinds of claims at me here, but it won't conquer the A) the fact that most politician understand your claim and disagree, or B) that the demographics indicate that children are certainly involved in marriages, and to a greater extent than same-sex unions, and C)gay people can get married to people of the opposite sex, just like everyone else.

So, do you want to discuss it as a purely emotional issue? That is where divorce comes from.

And at the end we have going outside marriage for "natural" children passively encouraged by the government... I'm not swayed by that "extraordinary" scenario.

In matters of adoption one wonders if similar M/F parents are available if one should choose them over a same-sex couple, and to what degree similarity is necessary. Does that seem bigoted? Why don't we go confuse some fourteen year olds by telling them that girls and boys are the same! Same dignity, but I would say (though you probably don't care) profoundly different and tremendously similar.

And for same sex couples:
The obvious differentiation here being that in one case the child is typically "bred" from both parents and not so (whatsoever) in the case of the same sex couple.

Whereas people sometimes use a black/white race point to counter in these discussions with some... pro-traditional marriage people, it is clear that the proceeding point is completely factual and has nothing to do with "mixed coloreds" or something like that.

So, we certainly have a difference. Again, the government need not overlook significant differences for the determination of programs in order to avoid "sexism."

Upvote 0
B

BigBadWlf

First, I entered this discussion not to discuss marriage, but to understand what rights "pro-gay-rights" is about.

Many of these posts are asking/revolving around the citation of studies, which all come from the internet and are more likely than not skewed toward one position or the other.
And the evidence for the supposed “skewing”?

The "assertion" I made, which came with qualifying context, got the response I assumed it would have.
the assertion you made was:
You have been asked multiple times to provide evidence to back up this assertion. Since you will not we are only left to assume you purposefully lied when you presented it.

Can you explain why it is moral for you to lie about a minority?

I have no intention of citing sources for this information. Everyone here is capable of looking for resources or not.
See above.

I will say that there appears to be more break-ups and extramarital sex among same-sex couples based, in small part, on a Time magazine article I read.
Again you have no evidence to back your claim up

None of my discussion points, at this time, have any need of this statistic,
http://christianforums.com/showpost.php?p=43903738&postcount=47 is in need of it.

Marriage is a the most contentious issue of course.

Any objective person can clearly see that there is a biological difference between the sexual relations of same-sex couples and heterosexual couples. Simple.
And how does that translate into justification for discrimination?

Now the qualification always comes up about having children and so forth. I pointed out at the beginning of this discussion that the current system needed some work.
It needs equality for all people. something you have denied

I don't mind certain rights being transferable.
How big of you. Fortunately civil rights are not decided by your whim

I do believe, however, that when it comes to money, one needs to carefully consider what is going to happen. Clearly the money would start going to a very different demographic than it does today... Is that what we want?
Again if you are so concerned about this issue then you would not have married thus creating a tax burden on the rest of us

I'm saying no, that is not what we want. We want a just system in either case.
A just system is one that does not discriminate…and discrimination (no matter how you couch it) is what you are advocating

We don't need to subsidize people who enjoy all the financial benefits of living with another person, when the money would be better used as renumeration for those who do raise children.
Again if you are so concerned about this issue then you would not have married thus creating a tax burden on the rest of us

Further, I asserted that the marital contract should be strengthened, as it is not really all that stable of an agreement as it is, and there are (to generalize) some indications that simply sticking out the relationship a bit longer can make the situation much better.
More unsupported claims. Are we to assume that these are also untrue?

[/quote]

Finally, you cannot assert that it is unreasonable to insist on skepticism when a foundational law and definition are to be changed. [/quote]
You mean like how the religious right wants to put aside the 14th amendment in order to legally discriminate against a minority?

[/quote]
We have a judicious precedent here, and it needs to be taken seriously.[/quote]
Discrimination should always be taken seriously

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My question to fated is: what taxpayer provided financial benefits do childless married straight couples get in your country? In my country, childless married couples, straight or gay, do not pay less taxes or get any financial benefits as a perk of being married than unmarried couples or single people.

The benefits of legal marriage for childless couples are rights of kinship (for medical care ), property rights in the event of divorce, inheritance rights in the event of death. None of these rights involve taxpayers putting out.

The only area I can think of where some tax revenue might be redirected is in the case of one partner becoming a dependent of the other, because of inability to work, in which case the working partner is given a small tax break. But if the disabled partner was not married, and a dependent, it is likely the state would have to spend considerably more money on their care and maintenance, which means the state, thus the taxpayer, wins again.

So aside from your lack of knowledge of the prevalence and realities of same sex parenting, what exactly is your objection to same sex marriage and equal rights?
The central social justice program is the Social Security program, which pays a partial benefit to a widow/er and is paid into by taxpayers. Typically, the demographic is that most people using this part of Social Security have had and raised their own children.

Upvote 0
B

BigBadWlf

Watersmoon110 and BigBadWlf,

If I missed something important please let me know, I tried to cover everything...
We were waiting for you to back up your claim:

since you decline to provide appropriate references or retract that claim entirely we are left with no alternative than to assume you purposefully lied when you made that claim

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But definitions, at least legal ones, can and do change all the time. Fifty years ago the legal definition of marriage was "a man and woman of the same race". So, per your logic, interracial marriage should still be illegal because they never should have changed the definition.

I've also pointed out that some couples are required by states to be unable to reproduce -- thus your claim that to be a marriage there must be an ability to procreate is proven false. Perhaps, however you can tell me about your experience in proving to the state that you were able to procreate before you were allowed to marry.

Should sterile people be allowed to marry? If so, then how come the 'there must be the ability to procreate' argument does not apply to them?

From a purely economic standpoint, you cannot but conclude that the system should be changed, or at least reviewed, before awarding full benefits to millions more people.

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We were waiting for you to back up your claim:

since you decline to provide appropriate references or retract that claim entirely we are left with no alternative than to assume you purposefully lied when you made that claim
I don't need that statistic. Can you cite one for me?

Here this is what the discussion looked like:

Yeah, I'd like to see some as well. Are you suddenly incapable of using Google?

I found a link to the study that CNN Article was about, but nothing on numbers of couples.

[Edit] At the moment, this is the best I can do:

I'm sure I'd get the same response if I made some statement concerning statistics like...

Prevalence of breakdown of same-sex couples is much higher than married couples.

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
With reference to an assertion by fated earlier refuted with citations by jamielindas, let me point out the distinction between children of single parents and children of committed couples who may not be legally married. While there are many excellent single parents around, as a generalization children of single parents tend to have more emotional and other problems than do children of couples, unless there is/are (an)other adult(s) sharing in the caregiving, e.g., a single parent and his/her children living with the grandparents or with a sibling. The gender make-up and marital status of committed couples do not seem to have a significant difference in the emotional stability and maturation of children -- what counts is that there are two or more caregivers sharing the parenting load. (The one study that says otherwise shows gay couples as better than man/woman couples at parenting, probably an artifact of the sample.)

He didn't defeat an assertion, he presented a study I asked for. The one he showed was fairly well done, at least for the possible positive parts of the discussion.

All the studies you find online are very suspicious, at least to one side or the other... so, I recommend taking them all carefully... and asking your congresspeople and the president for better data.

The points you make here are what I have generally seen in a preponderance of studies, that is not necessarily conclusive, but...

I hope they don't go after you too hard for sources after I wrote this...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.