What does "poor in spirit" mean? Matthew 5:3 . . .

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In His Sermon on the Mount, the first thing Jesus is recorded to say in this sermon is >

"'Blessed are the poor in spirit,
. For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.'"

. . . . . . . .. . . . . . (Matthew 5:3)

According to my Strong's Concordance Greek dictionary, "poor" can mean crouching, or having very little and being a beggar.

One thing I think of about begging is how someone can be grateful for whatever you give the person. So . . . if we are grateful for whatever God pleases to share with us . . . ours is "the kingdom of heaven."

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In His Sermon on the Mount, the first thing Jesus is recorded to say in this sermon is >

According to my Strong's Concordance Greek dictionary, "poor" can mean crouching, or having very little and being a beggar.

One thing I think of about begging is how someone can be grateful for whatever you give the person. So . . . if we are grateful for whatever God pleases to share with us . . . ours is "the kingdom of heaven."

Saint John Chrysostom explained it as:

Blessed are the poor in spirit; for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. Matthew 5:3

What is meant by the poor in spirit? The humble and contrite in mind. For by spirit He has here designated the soul, and the faculty of choice. That is, since many are humble not willingly, but compelled by stress of circumstances; letting these pass (for this were no matter of praise), He blesses them first, who by choice humble and contract themselves.

But why said he not, the humble, but rather the poor? Because this is more than that. For He means here them who are awestruck, and tremble at the commandments of God. Whom also by His prophet Isaiah God earnestly accepting said, To whom will I look, but to him who is meek and quiet, and trembles at My words? For indeed there are many kinds of humility: one is humble in his own measure, another with all excess of lowliness. It is this last lowliness of mind which that blessed prophet commends, picturing to us the temper that is not merely subdued, but utterly broken, when he says, The sacrifice for God is a contrite spirit, a contrite and an humble heart God will not despise. And the Three Children also offer this unto God as a great sacrifice, saying, Nevertheless, in a contrite soul, and in a spirit of lowliness, may we be accepted. This Christ also now blesses.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟326,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sure there are many correct ways to interpret this but I think he's talking about how when someone is really low in spirits they may be more willing to accept the things of God compared to someone who feels really good about themselves in which case they think they don't need the things of God. I think it's something like that.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,745.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The kingdom of heaven has a special meaning to Israel. It refers to the kingdom of God on Earth.

Jesus first coming was to fulfill that promise to Israel in 2 Samuel 7.

• Informative
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟36,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

They seem to have a certain honest and true assessment of themselves.
Luke 18:
Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous,
and despised others:
10 Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank You that I am not like
other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector.
12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven,
but beat his breast, saying, God, be merciful to me a sinner!
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone
who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.

Luke 7:
Then one of the Pharisees asked Him to eat with him. And He went to the Pharisee’s house,
and sat down to eat.
37 And behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at the table
in the Pharisee’s house, brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil,
38 and stood at His feet behind Him weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears,
and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed them with
the fragrant oil.
39 Now when the Pharisee who had invited Him saw this, he spoke to himself, saying,
This Man, if He were a prophet, would know who and what manner of woman this is who is
touching Him, for she is a sinner.
40 And Jesus answered and said to him, Simon, I have something to say to you.
So he said, Teacher, say it.
41 There was a certain creditor who had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the
other fifty.
42 And when they had nothing with which to repay, he freely forgave them both. Tell Me,
therefore, which of them will love him more?
43 Simon answered and said, I suppose the one whom he forgave more.
And He said to him, You have rightly judged.
44 Then He turned to the woman and said to Simon, Do you see this woman?
I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has washed My feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head.
45 You gave Me no kiss, but this woman has not ceased to kiss My feet since the time I came in.
46 You did not anoint My head with oil, but this woman has anointed My feet with fragrant oil.
47 Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much.
But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.
Then He said to her, Your sins are forgiven.
49 And those who sat at the table with Him began to say to themselves,
Who is this who even forgives sins?
50 Then He said to the woman, Your faith has saved you. Go in peace.

These may not correspond precisely to the expression "poor in spirit", but the Lord did use
these stories to illustrate something that moves me deeply.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

1 Corinthians 4:8 (+context) and Revelation 3:18 (+context) are a good place to start, James also has some good passages on the subject.(would recommend to give James a full read through while meditating on this subject)

However the beginning of Romans Chapter 2 also speaks on the matter.

Paul listed a lot of sins in Romans Chapter 1, and in the next chapter asks why do you think you will be exempt since you sin also? In verse 5 it is introduced that you can also store up wrath for yourself by being a hypocrite. (as opposed to riches) A parable in the gospels also addresses this form of hypocrisy regarding a man who had his debt forgiven but wouldn't forgive other's debts.

In general, acting with grace towards others goes to your credit, and being judgmental goes towards your debit. Being poor in spirit is about not being generous, not just with money, but with kindness towards others.

In a sense, God has chosen those who are in most need of Him to be Christians, not the most noble, not the most spiritual. In essence, He has taken those without an inheritance, and given them one to teach their hearts generosity.

Reflecting on Romans 2:4 It might be fair to say, God is being kind to judgmental types with grace so they will repent and be more like Him. (see also Matthew 20:15 + context)

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is meant by the poor in spirit? The humble and contrite in mind. For by spirit He has here designated the soul, and the faculty of choice. That is, since many are humble not willingly, but compelled by stress of circumstances; letting these pass (for this were no matter of praise), He blesses them first, who by choice humble and contract themselves.
"Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:6-7)

So, if I am humble under God's mighty hand . . . I care about what He cares about, and I do not let myself be overcome or overwhelmed with worry about things of this life. But I am satisfied with God and Jesus His Son and loving as God's family >

"with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love," (Ephesians 4:2)

For indeed there are many kinds of humility: one is humble in his own measure, another with all excess of lowliness. It is this last lowliness of mind which that blessed prophet commends, picturing to us the temper that is not merely subdued, but utterly broken, when he says, The sacrifice for God is a contrite spirit, a contrite and an humble heart God will not despise. And the Three Children also offer this unto God as a great sacrifice, saying, Nevertheless, in a contrite soul, and in a spirit of lowliness, may we be accepted. This Christ also now blesses.
So, "poor in spirit" includes being lowly. And our Apostle Paul says to love "with all lowliness".

So, our lowliness . . . being "poor in spirit" . . . includes how we are loving . . . relating as God's family, "with all lowliness" "bearing with one another in love".

Lowliness has to do with how Jesus is > Jesus is "gentle and lowly in heart", He says in Matthew 11:28-30. So, Jesus Himself is the definition of "poor in spirit" . . . how to be in humble love, not being conceited and looking down on others, but having hope for any person, at all > love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7).

If Jesus means to be like a crouching beggar before God, a beggar has hope of what you will give to him or her, and is ready to express great appreciation for anything. But if we bow before God . . . we have hope for all which is possible with God, and this not only for our own selves, but we are alive with hope for one another and any person; because we are lowly in God's all-loving love.

And so . . . I see > God commands us to do this, but God in us changes us to be like this . . . by the action of His grace. So, this is not only a choice we might at times make, but God changes our character so we become this way - - - in sharing with Jesus in us > each of us "one spirit with Him" (1 Corinthians 6:17). And we grow in how Jesus is humble . . . lowly . . . "poor in spirit".

So, yes this is a choice . . . a very desirable choice. God Himself has chosen this, and this is where Jesus starts, in His Sermon on the Mount which is recorded. Of all the things Jesus could have chosen to talk about, first . . . here is where Jesus started His sermon . . . where He calls our attention.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sure there are many correct ways to interpret this but I think he's talking about how when someone is really low in spirits they may be more willing to accept the things of God compared to someone who feels really good about themselves in which case they think they don't need the things of God. I think it's something like that.
Yes, we can get low in spirits, and not be so exalting ourselves, and be wise to look to God. And then God encourages us.

I think of how David and his men became so low in spirits . . . when the Amalekites took their wives and children > 1 Samuel chapter 30. At first, they wept until they had no more strength to weep and ones were talking about stoning David. But what worked? David got encouraged with the LORD, then he consulted with the LORD about what to do. I see how seeking God was like crouching like a beggar with hope of whatsoever God pleased to do with David. And then God granted them a great victory.

But it was not only about how to relate with God. David also made sure the men shared as family, in how they divided the spoils of defeating the Amalekites. The weak along with the strong got a share. It was wrong to want more than someone else! I see this was related to being lowly . . . being God's family :) with all equal and no favoritism, no jealousy and competition.

Jesus Himself has prayed >

"that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me" > in John 17:22-26.

So, Jesus Himself . . . God's own Son so better and greater than we are . . . is so humble . . . lowly . . . "poor in spirit" . . . that He has prayed that our Father loves us as He loves Jesus ! ! !

So, if we are lowly like Jesus, loving so as family, yes we are "blessed" and ours is the kingdom of heaven. Because in Christ's lowly un-conceited family love we are in Heaven's love . . . now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The kingdom of heaven has a special meaning to Israel. It refers to the kingdom of God on Earth.

Jesus first coming was to fulfill that promise to Israel in 2 Samuel 7.
But a number of Jews did not know who is the way (John 14:6) to this kingdom. And Jesus tells us how to become so we can join Him in His kingdom > "poor in spirit". Do you think they understood this?

I think the "kingdom" is God's realm now . . . of how He is in His love and how He now rules. And in His love, now, we already can experience the realm of Heaven, since God's love is Heaven's love. But, yes, this kingdom will rule the earth, in due time.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They seem to have a certain honest and true assessment of themselves.
And you give examples > the tax collector >
would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven,
Wow! I think this is a very blessed understanding of "poor in spirit".

her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much.
But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.
So, the lowly person who has been forgiven will love much. The person appreciates being forgiven > therefore, the person is "poor in spirit", knowing how he or she has so needed forgiveness, so he or she is humble with God and not ready to look down on others. I think this is what you mean :) Wow! a love meaning, how love has us seeing ourselves so we are loving others, ready with forgiveness - - - not wanting to hold on to things of this life in a way which has us ready to be unforgiving if someone takes things of this life from us. So, in our hearts we are "poor" . . . not wanting to hold on to what is in this life, but valuing forgiveness more and loving more.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Being poor in spirit is about not being generous, not just with money, but with kindness towards others.
Yes. I need this being generous with kindness, not just with talk and money.

In a sense, God has chosen those who are in most need of Him to be Christians, not the most noble, not the most spiritual. In essence, He has taken those without an inheritance, and given them one to teach their hearts generosity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NBB

Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟445,475.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would say yes. Thank you :)

That you are needy before God spiritually another definition. Self sufficient people cannot receive the grace of God in the same manner i guess because they do not allow room to God to do stuff.

• Agree
Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,129.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I would take it to mean that you understand how much you need God and how dependent you are of His mercy. Understanding you are nothing on your own, makes you poor in spirit.

• Agree
Upvote 0