Apr 24, 2014
✟7,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
Cutting off your limbs or plucking your eyes out? Does Jesus really mean this literally or is it a parable? What message is he conveying here? Our bodies are the temple of God, I do not think he wants us to mutilate our bodies because of sin. Not that we should be sinning. Is this verse more of a warning sign that if one continues to sin it would be better for one to cut off their limbs or pluck their eyes out?

Tchgrl

Last edited:

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
It is hyperbole if read in a literal sense. But I have come to wonder if this text is a veiled allusion to the horrible persecution that would befall the believers. Perhaps Jesus is planting the seed of preparation for torture.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Cutting off your limbs or plucking your eyes out? Does Jesus really mean this literally or is it a parable? What message is he conveying here? Our bodies are the temple of God, I do not think he wants us to mutilate our bodies because of sin. Not that we should be sinning. Is this verse more of a warning sign that if one continues to sin it would be better for one to cut off their limbs or pluck their eyes out?

Tchgrl

i haven't read other posts/questions but one by you, so don't know much about the way to direct the answer but simply.
yeshua means it (truthfully) (and no disciple did such a thing) and literally (again NOT physically literally)
but the sins that americans allow in their lives are more dangerous than any torture from authorities or guards or police or enemies even.

the sins that are allowed within the whole country are abominable,
and the sins that are allowed withing the believer who hasn't been taught correctly to forsake all sin are abominable and destroy the potential life and fruitfulness of his soul. (this is far beyond the discussion capabilities of most brick and mortar buildings, and not feasible on the internet).

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Tchgrl

He is saying it is better to get into the kingdom of God...even IF you had to lose a limb or suffer torture (by the enemies of God not by God)

Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Tchgrl

I don't think this is meant to be taken literally. Sin is spiritual, not physical. A face-value interpretation would suggest a way to salvation outside of Christ. There is no evidence of the apostles or anyone in the bible cutting off their limbs to avoid sin. Even if cutting off limbs would prevent future sins, it has a problem as it hinders one from using all they can to advance the gospel.

Upvote 0